Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Lurdiak posted:

That's right up there with tactile telekinesis.

And almost certainly from the same source, as "let's make Superman's powers make sense" was kind of a thing there for a little while before everyone realized it was dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Irredeemable is stupid as hell, and only worthwhile for the spin off it created.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Cornwind Evil posted:

Irredeemable is stupid as hell, and only worthwhile for the spin off it created.
Doesn't Incorruptible have a character named Jailbait, though? I mean, yeah, invincibility powered by sleep deprivation is cool, but really?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Doesn't Incorruptible have a character named Jailbait, though? I mean, yeah, invincibility powered by sleep deprivation is cool, but really?

She was also actual jailbait.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

She was also actual jailbait.
comics.txt

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The ex-villain main character is like "No I can't gently caress you anymore I'm a good guy now".

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The ex-villain main character is like "No I can't gently caress you anymore I'm a good guy now".
Out of morbid curiosity, I Googled the character, and yes, they do draw her in skin-tight clothes with giant boobs as a sex object.

:cripes: This is why we can't have nice things.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's still a great series

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like the first 12 issues of Irredeemable and most of Incorruptible are really good comics. That won't stop me from poking at the lovely bits tho.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Like the first 12 issues of Irredeemable and most of Incorruptible are really good comics. That won't stop me from poking at the lovely bits tho.

The thing that bugs me about Irredeemable is that it plays the same tiresome card that always crops up; if someone who is heroic is pushed to a change in morality, they will immediately become a remorseless psychopath who will do the absolutely worst things possible like murder pregnant women and sink countries...just because. I get the allegory of Lucifer and the whole idea of 'if an angel has gone bad, then they have gone worse than virtually anything else', but eventually it gets tiresome. The idea of a thug who engages in very bad behavior finding he has a line and suffering the double shock of realizing that and seeing his old heroic enemy cross it so hard he doubles over it and having an epiphany and deciding to try and not be bad any more just strikes me as more interesting and less lazy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I'm reminded of the scene from Waid's Irredeemable, where young Plutonian is sitting in school, and his super-hearing picks up the sound of his foster mother about to commit suicide three miles away. And he rushes out at super-speed, faster than a speeding bullet...

and discovers that even though he moves faster than a bullet does, the sound had to travel three miles before he could hear it.

I feel like Mark Waid owes me an apology.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

The thing that bugs me about Irredeemable is that it plays the same tiresome card that always crops up; if someone who is heroic is pushed to a change in morality, they will immediately become a remorseless psychopath who will do the absolutely worst things possible like murder pregnant women and sink countries...just because. I get the allegory of Lucifer and the whole idea of 'if an angel has gone bad, then they have gone worse than virtually anything else', but eventually it gets tiresome. The idea of a thug who engages in very bad behavior finding he has a line and suffering the double shock of realizing that and seeing his old heroic enemy cross it so hard he doubles over it and having an epiphany and deciding to try and not be bad any more just strikes me as more interesting and less lazy.

Oh, the series gives him plenty of reasons for why he's so goddamn insane as it goes along. Too many, in fact, it kind of takes away from the initial premise that the immense responsibility and power just got to him over time. He was trying to be Superman while just being normal deep down, simply because he felt he had to be that way. It's also less about "a good guy is now a super evil guy" and more "a guy who hits a really bad spot and wishes the world would drown in fire actually has the ability to drown the world in fire and no one knows how to stop him" and the effect that has on the world, at least at first.

Then the story gets really dumb and runs in circles and has the most ridiculous ending I've seen in ages.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If you had the patience to keep on after the parademon sniper plan plot twist you're a better man than I

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Tremendous Taste posted:

If you had the patience to keep on after the parademon sniper plan plot twist you're a better man than I

Yeah that was very clearly the story's natural end point, but for some reason it just kept loving going.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

hiddenriverninja posted:

Jeez, that's depressing.
What's really depressing is

IRREDEEMABLE SPOILERS INBOUND
Plutonian, the Superman analogue, finds out that he isn't an actual person or alien, but a probe-program that n-th dimensional aliens launched to catalogue Earth... only the probe comes across a really depressed mother who lost her son and decides to incarnate as a new child to placate the mother.

Problem is the mother lost the original child when her postpartum depression caused her to murder the kid. . . So she's stuck with an invincible superbaby that seemingly taunts her attempts to dispose of it/serves as a reminder that she's a terrible broken person.

Dude never had a chance for a normal life.

But yeah, the concept of "Superman, but everyone is a bag of dicks and takes him for granted" was pretty fun while it lasted.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah that was very clearly the story's natural end point, but for some reason it just kept loving going.

And then it didn't stopped after its second natural ending. And then it didn't stop after its third. And then I stopped reading.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Irredeemable was a good 12-16 issue story told over 37 issues.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
By the way, how did it end? I stopped after they brought him back from the heat death of the universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e X posted:

By the way, how did it end? I stopped after they brought him back from the heat death of the universe.

Oh my god, no one answer this. Just post the pages. Words can't do it justice.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's kinda amazing how big of a middle finger to Superhero comics Irredeemable is(behind only Wanted and The Boys) when Mark Waid is normally a pretty big superhero fanboy as far as I can tell, but then again it's almost impossible to write a pisstake on Superheroes without coming off like a douchebag(Watchmen, Miracleman, Supergod, and certain aspects of 90's era Valiant are the only straight examples where this works as far as I'm aware of), probably cause it just almost always comes off as too mean spirited and bleak to have any value left to it

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

It's kinda amazing how big of a middle finger to Superhero comics Irredeemable is(behind only Wanted and The Boys) when Mark Waid is normally a pretty big superhero fanboy as far as I can tell, but then again it's almost impossible to write a pisstake on Superheroes without coming off like a douchebag(Watchmen, Miracleman, Supergod, and certain aspects of 90's era Valiant are the only straight examples where this works as far as I'm aware of), probably cause it just almost always comes off as too mean spirited and bleak to have any value left to it

This is why Astro City is so amazing. Instead of being all "superheroes are stupid and here is a whole thesis story why" it actually explores the kind of optimism and wonder it would be like to live in a world of superheroes.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

What's really depressing is

IRREDEEMABLE SPOILERS INBOUND
Plutonian, the Superman analogue, finds out that he isn't an actual person or alien, but a probe-program that n-th dimensional aliens launched to catalogue Earth... only the probe comes across a really depressed mother who lost her son and decides to incarnate as a new child to placate the mother.

Problem is the mother lost the original child when her postpartum depression caused her to murder the kid. . . So she's stuck with an invincible superbaby that seemingly taunts her attempts to dispose of it/serves as a reminder that she's a terrible broken person.

Dude never had a chance for a normal life.

But yeah, the concept of "Superman, but everyone is a bag of dicks and takes him for granted" was pretty fun while it lasted.

Man they went way overboard with his backstory, I only read a few issues and I never had a point where I thought "Man there's got to be more to this guy snapping". His backstory got so loving lovely that you're honestly left wondering that this guy didn't become a genocidal maniac from the word go instead of just being slowly ground down by his lovely life into snapping. You know how Superman said he'd go crazy if he had to be Superman all the time and couldn't be Clark anymore, since he likes...life so much, I guess. Well, Plutonian's Clark identity (forgot his name) didn't have parents as good as the Kents and his life wasn't as good. That ought to have been enough. You didn't have to crank it up any higher than 'ultimate power corrupts, especially if everyone takes you for granted or is kind of a douche'.

I liked Incorruptible though. The whole bit where Max explains "Yeah I'm a criminal douchebag but even the bad guys just assumed if the whole planet was at risk, Plutonian would rescue us all, bad guys included. And now look at this poo poo. Someone's got to step in and be the Big Good." was pretty reasonable in an odd way.

Again though, I fell behind and haven't read it all.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 11, 2015

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

it's almost impossible to write a pisstake on Superheroes without coming off like a douchebag(Watchmen, Miracleman, Supergod, and certain aspects of 90's era Valiant are the only straight examples where this works as far as I'm aware of), probably cause it just almost always comes off as too mean spirited and bleak to have any value left to it

The main reason it bugs me is it seems to be based on a fundamental error in psychological understanding, a classic X=Y, Y=Z, ergo X=Z issue.

1) It is a general belief and observed behavior that power corrupts.

2) It is also observed that people can be capable of the most monstrous, inhuman, terrible acts.

3) Ergo anyone corrupted by power (or an equivalent aspect, like pain and suffering, or complete freedom) will automatically attempt the most terrible acts.

You saw this most recently in The Purge, which drove me nuts in a non-serious way because it operated under the idea of 'some humans are monsters, every human has the capacity to be a monster, ergo if given absolute freedom virtually everyone will attempt monstrous acts'. I don't want to keep derailing the thread with armchair psychology, but it strikes me that even if a superman type has a traumatic upbringing, and has issues that are exacerbated by the world s/he lives in, their 'snapping' will not automatically default to 'new flavor of atrocity a day' (especially if they actually did TRY to be a good guy to start, and make a genuine effort at it), which is what the majority of comic writers seem to think (see also: Injustice Superman, which bugs me for the same rough reasons).

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The Purge 2 counters that by having government agents participate in the purge because not enough regular people were and hinting that it's always been that way.

I only know because I watched the purge 2 after being told it was a good Punisher movie.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Psykmoe posted:

Man they went way overboard with his backstory, I only read a few issues and I never had a point where I thought "Man there's got to be more to this guy snapping". His backstory got so loving lovely that you're honestly left wondering that this guy didn't become a genocidal maniac from the word go instead of just being slowly ground down by his lovely life into snapping. You know how Superman said he'd go crazy if he had to be Superman all the time and couldn't be Clark anymore, since he likes...life so much, I guess. Well, Plutonian's Clark identity (forgot his name) didn't have parents as good as the Kents and his life wasn't as good. That ought to have been enough. You didn't have to crank it up any higher than 'ultimate power corrupts, especially if everyone takes you for granted or is kind of a douche'.
They should have just left it at "mundane" background stuff, with him bouncing from foster home to foster home. But for some reason Waid couldn't leave well enough alone and kept adding and escalating everything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

e X posted:

It gets pretty dumb. Like remember how stupid his intergalactic prison arc was with all the pointless one-upmanship that felt written by literal children? Worse than that.

Though, the last page kind of redeems the thing. Kind of

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

drrockso20 posted:

It's kinda amazing how big of a middle finger to Superhero comics Irredeemable is(behind only Wanted and The Boys)

Wanted was such a loving childish waste of a good idea. They just took what could have been a legit great story and pissed it down their leg. Then raped the piss. And yelled "poo poo" at the piss. And puked on it. And said "sex" a bunch of times. And poop. More rape. Oooey gooey blood too!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Duke Igthorn posted:

Wanted was such a loving childish waste of a good idea. They just took what could have been a legit great story and pissed it down their leg. Then raped the piss. And yelled "poo poo" at the piss. And puked on it. And said "sex" a bunch of times. And poop. More rape. Oooey gooey blood too!

It baffles me that there are human beings out there who think Wanted is a great comic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

It baffles me that there are human beings out there who think Wanted is a great comic.

It has that Scottish guy that they've heard of's name on the cover, it must be good! (Sorry, I come from Millar's hometown. He's literally the biggest celebrity to ever come from here, so it's kind of annoying how often I've had to tell people I'm not a big fan.)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Only thing I really liked about Wanted is that it's supposed to take place in the real world. Like, we're the one Earth without super heroes because evil won, and erased every trace that they ever existed. It's like Millar got stuck somewhere between Grant Morrison and Frank Miller, and decided to make all these big brained ideas cynical as gently caress.

Seeing that we got a Wanted movie instead of We3 almost proves him right.

This is supposed to be the touching moments thread, so to be positive, I can say I did legitimately enjoy 1985.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
The thing that struck me most about wanted aside from a feeling of odd relief that I'd read literally the worst piece of media on the planet and it was only uphill from here was the constant use of the line "African-american boss" where you could really really tell he originally wrote the N-word but couldn't bring himself to put it in the final print.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Catfishenfuego posted:

The thing that struck me most about wanted aside from a feeling of odd relief that I'd read literally the worst piece of media on the planet and it was only uphill from here was the constant use of the line "African-american boss" where you could really really tell he originally wrote the N-word but couldn't bring himself to put it in the final print.
Wouldn't 'black boss' at least parse better?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Die Laughing posted:

Only thing I really liked about Wanted is that it's supposed to take place in the real world. Like, we're the one Earth without super heroes because evil won, and erased every trace that they ever existed. It's like Millar got stuck somewhere between Grant Morrison and Frank Miller, and decided to make all these big brained ideas cynical as gently caress.

Seeing that we got a Wanted movie instead of We3 almost proves him right.

This is supposed to be the touching moments thread, so to be positive, I can say I did legitimately enjoy 1985.

The ending of Superior is also pretty good. And the rest of it, to be honest. It's probably the best thing he's done.

Re: the African-American boss - remember that is from Wesley's inner narrator when he's still a nebbish. The character wants to drop the N-bomb but doesn't have the stones.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Catfishenfuego posted:

aside from a feeling of odd relief that I'd read literally the worst piece of media on the planet and it was only uphill from here

And then he went on to booby trap a young woman's vagina.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Uthor posted:

And then he went on to booby trap a young woman's vagina.

NSFW with swirling clouds of ink? NSFW

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

I prefer the spring-loaded boxing glove.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
But no seriously, how did Irredeemable end? I reached my limit at whatever point it was where he tore some guys skin off and wore it as a costume.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
Irredeemable went off the rails and got really dumb and bad, but it gave us Incorruptible and I'm grateful for that.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Pierson posted:

But no seriously, how did Irredeemable end? I reached my limit at whatever point it was where he tore some guys skin off and wore it as a costume.

Basically the Doctor expy told the Plutonian that if he used his revealed reality-warping powers to fix stuff that had broken and was going to completely destroy the Earth/everything he'd give him redemption, and then stuff happened and he did it and it was killing him and NotTheDoctor said 'Well I can't redeem you but since your body's breaking down I'm going to use my magic science powers to break apart your essence and warp it into other universes and hopefully it will be reborn as something good' and he did it and the implication is that the split essence made more Superman expys in other comic universes and inspired people in universes where superheros 'couldn't exist' to create them in fiction, including the strong implication that this inspired Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster to create Superman.

...so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
How incredibly stupid.