Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
however, i do believe that the government should be mandated to offer assisted suicide to prisoners who want it, as well as the general population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Jagchosis posted:

al Shabaab has been mostly routed and the government has control of most of the non-somaliland territory. somali piracy has largely collapsed, and supposedly normalcy is starting to return to mogadishu. there is a possibility that somali's decades of civil wars are coming to an end within the next couple years, assuming some new group of poo poo heads doesn't pop up or something
are you talking about a recent routing of al shabaab or the one that they did about two years ago? because i haven't been keeping up with it all, but i do know that two years ago they basically pushed al shabaab out of the major cities in most areas but it was generally meaningless because they still had their rural base. leaving the government with tentative control over every city they could stuff with nato peacekeepers and government forces.

also, in another repeat of last year, the us is now closing off the last pipelines of remittances to somalia and that's major bad news. the brits were going to do that last year but i think they ended up not fully closing it off.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

no more hosed up and dark than doing the executions on schedule, as all executions are in fact immoral as all hell

Except for executions authorized by US law conducted outside of US territory. Those executions create peace, stability, and prosperity the world over.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Majorian posted:

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on that one.;)

But no, lemme challenge you on this here. Imagine it's not Kanye, it's some other really popular artist who is widely critically acclaimed as one of the best of the current best. It's Taylor Swift saying how she wants to experience one of her concerts from the perspective of an enthused fan just taken up by her music and message. Wouldn't it be sad to just never experience something so critical to your own life from the viewpoint of those who enjoy your work? Like for your song to not just be the song you made, but the song that speaks to on the level music speaks to fans and listeners?

Tragedy I say.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

fade5 posted:

I've honestly never understood why Somalia was considered uniquely hellhole-ish, I mean it's not like there aren't hundreds of other places where civil wars are raging and there's basically martial law. Hell, that was true even before the Arab Spring and the conflicts in Iraq and Syria (and Libya and Yemen and Egypt) happened.

The Somali Civil War has been going on for 24 years.

24 years

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

euphronius posted:

What was the last popular video game with a black protagonist.

Gta San Andreas?

tes V: skyrim

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Are we really going to say that the Civil War in Syria only took a dark turn in the last few weeks? That poo poo has been pitch black for years now.

As I said in my original post, the whole thing got darker.

Nintendo Kid posted:

no more hosed up and dark than doing the executions on schedule, as all executions are in fact immoral as all hell

Actually it is, because it's perverting the criminal justice process (such as it is) for foreign policy considerations, and worse, in the name of vengeance.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Are we really going to say that the Civil War in Syria only took a dark turn in the last few weeks? That poo poo has been pitch black for years now.

Seriously, it's been Darker than Black for years.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

kustomkarkommando posted:

The Somali Civil War has been going on for 24 years.

24 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conflict_in_Burma

Admittedly, a lot of the conflicts in Myanmar/Burma have started and stopped and restarted over the years, but it's been going on a hell of a lot longer than Somalia, and with a hell of a lot more people involved than in Somalia.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Actually it is, because it's perverting the criminal justice process (such as it is) for foreign policy considerations, and worse, in the name of vengeance.

they were basically only be kept alive for a potential trade, you realize that right?

also all capital punishment is in the name of vengeance

euphronius posted:

Gta San Andreas?

GTA V in 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
i cooked chicken to the *perfect* doneness tonight and i'll really happy about it

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

euphronius posted:

Gta San Andreas?

Barkley SHUT UP AND JAM! Gaiden.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

nutranurse posted:

But no, lemme challenge you on this here. Imagine it's not Kanye, it's some other really popular artist who is widely critically acclaimed as one of the best of the current best. It's Taylor Swift saying how she wants to experience one of her concerts from the perspective of an enthused fan just taken up by her music and message. Wouldn't it be sad to just never experience something so critical to your own life from the viewpoint of those who enjoy your work? Like for your song to not just be the song you made, but the song that speaks to on the level music speaks to fans and listeners?

Tragedy I say.

There are tons of comedians or actors who lament about how they're never able to get out of their head long enough to stop criticizing and analyzing their own work to be able to enjoy it. Kayne is hardly alone in expressing those kind of sentiments. Even if you find it self indulgent, it doesn't seem beyond the pale for an artist.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Chuck Johnson is, not at all surprisingly, full tilt running with the parking spot story. It's gross

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

i cooked chicken to the *perfect* doneness tonight and i'll really happy about it

post the pic

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

fade5 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conflict_in_Burma

Admittedly, a lot of the conflicts in Myanmar/Burma have started and stopped and restarted over the years, but it's been going on a hell of a lot longer than Somalia, and with a hell of a lot more people involved than in Somalia.

Yeah, but Somalia literally had no government for 9 years. There's a difference between rolling internal conflict between a central government and armed groups and the complete collapse that Somalia experienced.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

There are tons of comedians or actors who lament about how they're never able to get out of their head long enough to stop criticizing and analyzing their own work to be able to enjoy it. Kayne is hardly alone in expressing those kind of sentiments. Even if you find it self indulgent, it doesn't seem beyond the pale for an artist.

Yeah, I was kind of trying to illustrate that it's a sentiment that applies to pretty much all creative media types. And that finding exception to criticize Kanye on it because it's Kanye saying it is kind of, well, unfair to Kanye and prolly coming from a place that seeks to specifically fault Kanye for being what is perceived as transgressive.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 12, 2015

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Yeah, but Somalia literally had no government for 9 years. There's a difference between rolling internal conflict between a central government and armed groups and the complete collapse that Somalia experienced.
there's also the fact that along with ethiopia it's famine central and it gets a lot of press that way

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

My favourite Somalia story was when America accidentally bombed a meeting of tribal elders attempting to negotiate a truce because they though Aidid was there. He wasn't.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

man the chapel hill thread didn't even make it past the first page without it being bad :smith:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

My favourite Somalia story was when America accidentally bombed a meeting of tribal elders attempting to negotiate a truce because they though Aidid was there. He wasn't.

My favorite Somalia story is all the side-swapping the US and USSR did during the Ogaden War.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I'm about to start eating some fresh walleye pan-seared with herb butter and minnesota wild rice on the side, drinkn some craft beers from michigan

I suppose perfectly done chicken is something to be proud of...if you're George Foreman

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Nintendo Kid posted:

they were basically only be kept alive for a potential trade, you realize that right?
  1. source?
  2. hosed up if true

quote:

also all capital punishment is in the name of vengeance

There is value even to the ostentation that it is about justice rather than vengeance, and the seeping into international relations is very very toxic.

Rygar201 posted:

Chuck Johnson is, not at all surprisingly, full tilt running with the parking spot story. It's gross

Has he exposed the real reason why Romney pulled out yet?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

man the chapel hill thread didn't even make it past the first page without it being bad :smith:

i see i'm not missing out on anything by not reading anything from it besides rap sheet entries

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Holy poo poo ere is a skyrim minecraft mod. And the music is in!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

man sometimes i want to scream "SHUT UUUUP" at my flatmate playing LoL

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

hmmmmmmmm

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Do it. :getin:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

ur not british bruh

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

so do it. whats stopping you?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

what do we call them in america then, apartment-mates?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

roommates'

alternatively, frenemy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Failure holes

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

1. source?
  2. hosed up if true

There is value even to the ostentation that it is about justice rather than vengeance, and the seeping into international relations is very very toxic.

Has he exposed the real reason why Romney pulled out yet?

you need to send a message. if you join isis or any groups which could be confused with or are affiliated with isis, your life, the lives of your family, and the lives of any individuals within a 30 meter radius will be treated as forefeit.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

assholes

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

roommates

you've gone native

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It can be a little lonely living on my own and my last roommate was a close friend who was easy to get along with, but I'll be damned if I don't enjoy the privacy and control over noise that it affords.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i see i'm not missing out on anything by not reading anything from it besides rap sheet entries

You really, really aren't. It's teetering on the edge of gunchat, as it has once already, and with any hope that will bring the ceiling down and get it gassed.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

you know sometimes i feel bad about this country, but i always know at least we're not australia.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"the treatment of children in our concentration camps is deplorable"

"lol whatever mate" *kickflips off a dead refugee*

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I use flatmates, too! :shobon:

"Roommate" is badwrongspeak, typical American ambiguous doggerel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I could never live with someone I wasn't having sex with.

• Locked thread