Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

The "well, the best Gundams are the ones that are just perfectly built, not the ones that have amazing gimmicks" doesn't really work when Tryon-3 exists and is specifically built by Yuuma's rival who wants to compete with him in building.

There's no reason you can't have both! There are plenty of people who do insane-but-still-perfect builds.

With that said:

quote:

It also ignores that Fumina's machine isn't just well built but is an extremely complex build as well. Creating a machine, from scratch, that can transform from an SD model into a full-sized model is absurdly difficult and it feels weird to downplay the sheer complexity and work put into that.

It's really not. Like, seriously, she has the limbs right there and they just plug right into the polycaps. The Winning isn't even the first SD to do it, and the show even references that.

This guy pops up on the screen at the end of the transformation sequence. Want to know who he is?

The dude who coined "Real Mode". Winning Road was also a giant reference to how the SD Sangokuden guys constantly gave away parts to power other people up.

EDIT: They've actually been having little flashes to other SD Sangokuden kits basically anytime Winning does something cool.

Bandai going for that subliminal advertising.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Talking about comercials the star winning gundam went from being in the 50 or 60s in amazons top hobby items to number 2 over the course of the day. Its super effective.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It worked on me...

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is your monthly unprompted reminder that this exists.

Every time I see this I can't help but admire what a god drat masterpiece that thing is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

There are a lot of people who would say the second one is better because it looks cooler... completely ignoring just how much work went into detailing and re-proportioning the first one.
Have you considered the fact that they don't care? They are completely ignoring all the effort that went into it because they don't give a poo poo about accurate scale or the fact that there are extra bits in the thruster nozzles.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Have you considered the fact that they don't care? They are completely ignoring all the effort that went into it because they don't give a poo poo about accurate scale or the fact that there are extra bits in the thruster nozzles.

Effort just isn't a good benchmark for a lot of creative things anyways. Easy to find examples of people that spent a lot of time to create something that is not good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

There are a lot of people who would say the second one is better because it looks cooler... completely ignoring just how much work went into detailing and re-proportioning the first one.

Once again; This argument doesn't work in a show designed to move toy sales :cripes:.

You can declare the Lightning Gundam an artistic masterpiece all you want, but at the end of the day it's still going to be exactly the same as the other Lightning Gundams on the store shelves and looking all the worse when it's upgrade is an HGBC Booster compared to the two full kits the others got.

Hell, let's expand this a little and look at, say, MSG. You can see every Zaku is green and this means they're all as identical as TIE Fighters. So when you get Char's Crimson Custom rocking up, it tells you this one is special and distinct. And that's enough to get by on for a more serious-toned Gundam show because it's a legitimate variant of a standard design. But in a show about custom variants, you simply cannot sell a custom Gundam/Gunpla as being "better crafted" in-show and expect that to fly as an argument against more visually creative customs that will show through better when it comes time to open the kit box.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Moving aside from the fact that that has absolutely nothing to do with what my post is about (why people aren't praising Fumina as a master builder), you do realize that people have different tastes, right? There are people who like super flashy stuff, and people who like more subdued stuff. The latter are who the Lightning is aimed after, which is why its upgrade is also rather low key.

I mean I am the most boring person in existence one of them, which is why I like the Lightning FB way more than the Star Winning or the Try Burning.

Lostconfused posted:

Well duh, and that's as sad as any other thing where people value style over substance.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Monaghan posted:

Every time I see this I can't help but admire what a god drat masterpiece that thing is.

I really wish they had a shot of this thing standing on a desk or something, because I've shown it to people who literally don't believe it is a plastic model.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it also hurts because BF has always used build quality translates to power as a shorthand for showing off build quality within the confines of the show.

But Yuuma's build quality isn't really standing out. His robot is as fast and mobile as a Trans-Am Kyrios which is certainly impressive but not more impressive when taken in the build quality to power transition than his counterparts.

In comparison everyone else so far is displaying boatloads of creativity in addition to absurdly high power output. Lightning has a high power output but it isn't higher than the stuff around him in a way that really emphasizes "his build is a cut above." He's faster but not universally better.So he doesn't have a sheer overwhelming power going for him and he doesn't have a creative build going for him and the end result is that he looks less impressive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

I really wish they had a shot of this thing standing on a desk or something, because I've shown it to people who literally don't believe it is a plastic model.

Hell, I keep looking at it and still don't believe it.

BlitzBlast posted:

Moving aside from the fact that that has absolutely nothing to do with what my post is about (why people aren't praising Fumina as a master builder), you do realize that people have different tastes, right? There are people who like super flashy stuff, and people who like more subdued stuff. The latter are who the Lightning is aimed after, which is why its upgrade is also rather low key.

I mean I am the most boring person in existence one of them, which is why I like the Lightning FB way more than the Star Winning or the Try Burning.

I get that (and to be fair that actually does help make a lot of sense to me about the Lightning's design) but when you're stuck comparing it against something innovative like the Tryon-3 (or hell, Team SD-R's Gunpla abusing Sei's old particle gimmicks), subtlety isn't the way to go when you want to sell that this person is a better builder.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There have been exactly two fights since the upgrades deployed and the first one prioritized Try Burning while the other spotlighted Star Winning because their kits had more development time put into them so they want to ensure better returns. So, uh, no duh the Lightning FB hasn't been standing out.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

subtlety isn't the way to go when you want to sell that this person is a better builder.

And that's just your opinion, you realize. There isn't a One Right Way about this, it's all subjective.

EDIT: Really, Yuuma's gotten the short stick all show. If they wanted to make the Lightning look cool it'd be really easy (just look at when Meijin was piloting it), they just haven't. Some of it is because of how Sekai centric the fights are, but for the most part it just feels like they're trying to sell the Burning and Winning more than the Lightning. Which is a shame because (I think) it's the best design of the three.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 12, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

There have been exactly two fights since the upgrades deployed and the first one prioritized Try Burning while the other spotlighted Star Winning because their kits had more development time put into them so they want to ensure better returns. So, uh, no duh the Lightning FB hasn't been standing out.

The FB has been standing out is the thing. It isn't performing badly. (It blew through the castle this episode despite being depleted in power.) It's just not really given proper emphasis due to the format.

The big problem isn't that the FB is a bad suit. It is that it is a real robot in a show that increasingly demonstrates it loves writing units like super robots. A good real robot really needs very strong choreography to play out properly. Fumina and Sekai can stand out more easily because they can throw out WINNING BEAM or Spinning Meteor Fist or whatever. Yuuma has to sell with his beam rifle, missiles and beam saber and that requires really strong choreography which is pretty different from how you do a super-themed thing.

The original BF ran into this too which is probably part of why the Build Mk.II got relatively little screentime since it required similar writing around it and they really obviously wanted to do BUILD KNUCKLE. They can absolutely do it (the Kampfer got a really strong episode after all) but they kind of have to set things up just right.

We'll have to see how the Tryon-3 episode sells it but I suspect that's going to run into the problem of them having more fun writing Tryon-3 than FB. We'll see how it pans out.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Switching to a different track, I still can't believe this track still hasn't been given its moment in the sun. How many times do we need to listen to Sekai's theme, sheesh.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Maybe Yuuma will throw out super robot attack names for shooting his gun and missiles against Tryon 3 if we're lucky. But yeah, he's just a guy with a gun and a fat, ugly robot standing next to a flaming robot that can blow up the moon.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Lightning is a cool robot but it's in the wrong show.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Switching to a different track, I still can't believe this track still hasn't been given its moment in the sun. How many times do we need to listen to Sekai's theme, sheesh.

Its sort of harder to use a track like that because its not really a battle theme and its not really a character theme. I'd be sort of the thing you use at the end on an episode where people are pumped to fight on the next airing.

Bringing it back to the SWG, I cant believe how I never thought they could just have one of its pointy leg particle effects for the swords blade. And I even made fun of the hilarious proportions for the v-fin would be on real mode but never thought it would translate to a loving buster beam. I'd love to see an actual HG version release at one point because I'm betting the SD version is going to be sticker hell and you'd really need to paint it to get it right.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 12, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

Maybe Yuuma will throw out super robot attack names for shooting his gun and missiles against Tryon 3 if we're lucky. But yeah, he's just a guy with a gun and a fat, ugly robot standing next to a flaming robot that can blow up the moon.

The missile spam was pretty neat in the latest episode, but yeah. There's really not much you can do to make "He sets up and fires his particle cannon" visually dramatic as a finishing move when compared to "WINNING BEAAAM" and "JIIIGEN HAAAAOOHHHH".

BlitzBlast posted:

That's the kind of track that gets saved for when they beat the poo poo out of the Gunpla Academy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's basically the same kind of song as speed-star, which they used really well way back at the Build Strike's first fight!

That's probably my main complaint with BF Try's OST, that it's criminally underused. They've gotten a bit better about it since the tournament started at least, but I feel like half the soundtrack hasn't even been used. And there are supposedly two discs!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Missiles are the most useless things ever in Gundam. Yuuma should replace them with anything else, like inflatable dummies or funnels.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Speaking of the soundtrack, I have to confess I got a bit misty-eyed when Yuuma opened up the case from Sei and a slightly remixed version of this starts playing in the background as China passes along Sei's message for Sekai. :unsmith:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Tae posted:

Missiles are the most useless things ever in Gundam. Yuuma should replace them with anything else, like inflatable dummies or funnels.

They're actually pretty good but only if they're nuclear. Do you have to follow the Antarctic Treaty in the gunpla battle system?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I've been enjoying this show, no real complaints, but for some reason this episode threw a switch in me or something. I absolutely hate Sekai. He's the worst possible character to build a show around. His fighting style is just punching and kicking. Aside from the occasional bits of cleverness, like jumping off Plavsky particles or the first time he did the phoenix, his fights aren't interesting or surprising or novel at all. And since he's the best fighter in the team and the main character, that basically applies to all the fights. Even if the bad guys do something clever, Sekai's just gonna yell and punch them when it's time for the fight to be over. The assimilation thing is such a cheap, dumb way to try to introduce some drama into Sekai yelling and punching the bad guy to end the fight. When his hand got all hosed up I thought, "oh cool, his hand's gonna be hurt for at least the next fight, he's gonna have to come up with a new thing to do, like maybe yelling and kicking" but nope, he just got Anime Disease and had to spend the rest of the episode napping.

Which wouldn't be so bad if he was a better character outside of fights. Instead he doesn't have an arc or change or grow, he doesn't play off the other characters well, all the comedy comes from other characters, but he's too goofy to even be an effective straight man. All the girls around are crushing on him, but he doesn't notice or respond at all so all that potential drama or comedy is just sucked into Sekai's charisma black hole.

Sekai would be good as a side character. He would actually be great as a side character, the episode where the theoretical other main character has to deal with a super skilled G-Gundam style martial artist would be a lot of fun. But instead the whole show is dragged down because it's chained itself to such a dull, limited character.

The worst part is that Build Fighters Try isn't even bad. It's fine. It's fun, it has some good character, some funny jokes, some neat designs, good music, it's a perfectly acceptable Gundam show. But it could be a hell of a lot better.

It's hilarious in retrospect how many people were all, "Even if Reconguista in G turns out terrible, at least Build Fighters Try will be good!" and now Try is shaping up to be one of the most forgettable Gundam shows, and Reconguista is shaping up to be the best Gundam series.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

They're actually pretty good but only if they're nuclear. Do you have to follow the Antarctic Treaty in the gunpla battle system?

... Honestly, that's a good question. Is there anything stopping someone from Solomoning the poo poo out of things?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That one dude tried to use a GP-02, but Reiji wrecked him first.

And yeah, Sekai is probably the worst character in the show honestly. He's just so boring.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
And on the colony maps, G3 gas is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. (though that would've made the 1/144 scale zeon troopers really funny)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sekai is the worst protagonist I've ever seen in a sports anime, I struggle to think of anyone on his level since even other one-dimensional characters of his type have at least some little thing going for them that prevent them from being completely and utterly dull.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Well duh, and that's as sad as any other thing where people value style over substance.
Guess what, model kits are about style rather than substance. Especially when you are taking photographs of them. At least in GBF there is the battling component that over rides style with something substantial.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

That one dude tried to use a GP-02, but Reiji wrecked him first.

And yeah, Sekai is probably the worst character in the show honestly. He's just so boring.

I have to admit it would've been pretty funny if one turned up in the World Tournament and racked up a colossal kill count just from lobbing potshots at the planet surface before getting picked off.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Actually model kits are about substance.

Because you build them.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

:qq:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have to admit it would've been pretty funny if one turned up in the World Tournament and racked up a colossal kill count just from lobbing potshots at the planet surface before getting picked off.

I really wonder if there are limits to what you can use.

I mean Mao used a Satellite Cannon mixed with a goddamn Solar Ray. Can you bring in a scale model of Gryps-2 as a MA?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

I'm absolutely right.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Srice posted:

Sekai is the worst protagonist I've ever seen in a sports anime, I struggle to think of anyone on his level since even other one-dimensional characters of his type have at least some little thing going for them that prevent them from being completely and utterly dull.

Shimon was a way better version of Sekai because he was saddled with a poo poo build Destiny and very nearly beat a top class gunpla that was just handed to Sekai. It's basically the underdog who works hard and has a ton of obstacles to overcome against the trust fund kid who maybe worked a little, and we're supposed to root for the trust fund kid.

I should really stop making posts about Sekai, because every time I do I just grow to hate him that little bit more.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Actually now that I think about it this episode would have been a lot better if the triplets didnt get a few seconds of backstory and instead the meijin gets an extra line of "She calls it real mode but she fires a super robot beam!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair "guys who are working really hard in poo poo robots vs the trust fund kid in the super suit" describes most Gundam shows besides like... ZZ Gundam.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I think at this point Sekai has thrown more finishers than regular punches/kicks.

Kind of ruins the point of a finisher.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I'm not sure what they even want to do with Sekai.

Both Fumina and Yuuma had character arcs even if they took way too long to get through them. Sekai... learned how to better control his gunpla, I guess?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair "guys who are working really hard in poo poo robots vs the trust fund kid in the super suit" describes most Gundam shows besides like... ZZ Gundam.

Judau earned the ZZ Gundam. He had to steal it like three times, all the other Gundam pilots only had to steal their Gundams once.

BlitzBlast posted:

I think at this point Sekai has thrown more finishers than regular punches/kicks.

Kind of ruins the point of a finisher.

He's done the phoenix twice, right? And killed nobody with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Since Evil Sekai recognizes that rear end lamination is a thing, I wonder if he will deliberately attempt to cripple the Build Burning to wound Sekai. Possibly even go full G Gundam and destroy the head - I wonder how Sekai would handle that?

• Locked thread