Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
He blew up the Gabtheley in his first fight with the Try Burning.

Pureauthor posted:

I'm not sure what they even want to do with Sekai.

Both Fumina and Yuuma had character arcs even if they took way too long to get through them. Sekai... learned how to better control his gunpla, I guess?

Sekai has seemingly gone through all of his character development before the show even began, while he was training with his master. It's, uh, an interesting idea but absolutely nothing has come of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BlitzBlast posted:

I think at this point Sekai has thrown more finishers than regular punches/kicks.

Kind of ruins the point of a finisher.

Oh my god I haven't even noticed that but you're right and that's so lame

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

Since Evil Sekai recognizes that rear end lamination is a thing, I wonder if he will deliberately attempt to cripple the Build Burning to wound Sekai. Possibly even go full G Gundam and destroy the head - I wonder how Sekai would handle that?

No-one would notice the head trauma because he doesn't have a personality.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

He blew up the Gabtheley in his first fight with the Try Burning.

Sekai has seemingly gone through all of his character development before the show even began, while he was training with his master. It's, uh, an interesting idea but absolutely nothing has come of it.

You forgot that he got the amazing character development of "You are too awesome for your machine, so we'll just give you a new one with no effort on your part!"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think the most interesting thing he did was tell Simon's little brother about beating the poo poo out of Simon

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The backstory of the Build Burning is so completely nonsensical I almost don't want to criticize it, because it's hard to believe they could write something like that and not mean it as a "Ramba Ral just shows up when Gundam fights happen" style joke.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chumbler posted:

Shimon was a way better version of Sekai because he was saddled with a poo poo build Destiny and very nearly beat a top class gunpla that was just handed to Sekai. It's basically the underdog who works hard and has a ton of obstacles to overcome against the trust fund kid who maybe worked a little, and we're supposed to root for the trust fund kid.

I should really stop making posts about Sekai, because every time I do I just grow to hate him that little bit more.

The natural prodigy character definitely isn't an inherently bad idea (Ping Pong is of course a fantastic example of a sports anime that uses the concept well) but dang it just requires any effort at all towards making it into something that's not one-dimensional and they can't even be assed to do that with Sekai.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

boom boom boom posted:

The backstory of the Build Burning is so completely nonsensical I almost don't want to criticize it, because it's hard to believe they could write something like that and not mean it as a "Ramba Ral just shows up when Gundam fights happen" style joke.

I want the backstory for the next series to be folks digging up ancient ruins and finding ridiculously old gunpla set ups then fighting with them. Since barely anyone will know what a Gundam is they can just kitbash all sorts of dumb poo poo and think it is rad

Turn Build Fighters

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Turns out gunpla battles were really old, started out in ancient egypt or something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom posted:

Actually, completely setting aside the story behind Build Burning not making sense, can we talk about how badly it fucks over Sei? At the end of season 1 Sei finds out he's developed world-class control skills without realizing it. His relationship with Reiji ends on that note, basically. He can fight on his own now, he doesn't need to rely on Reiji anymore.

It turns out that Sei basically ignored all that. He didn't build a Gunpla for himself, he just built a new Gunpla for Reiji, even using that Gunpla in the world tournament, I guess so that he could test it and refine it and perfect it for Reiji. And when he finally accepted that Reiji wasn't coming back, he sealed that Gunpla away and stopped battling competitively.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Turns out gunpla battles were really old, started out in ancient egypt or something.

The main character has a golden psychoframe around their neck that allows them to communicate with and be possessed by the spirit of Treize Khushrenada.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Actually model kits are about substance.

Because you build them.

Yeah and then you put pictures of them up on the internet and somebody goes "Oh hey that one looks way better" and for some reason someone decided to get buthurt about you know people not appreciating the build process when they have nothing to do with it.

Also model kits tend to sell based on character popularity or how cool they look which has nothing to do with the building part.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

boom boom boom posted:

Actually, completely setting aside the story behind Build Burning not making sense, can we talk about how badly it fucks over Sei? At the end of season 1 Sei finds out he's developed world-class control skills without realizing it. His relationship with Reiji ends on that note, basically. He can fight on his own now, he doesn't need to rely on Reiji anymore.

It turns out that Sei basically ignored all that. He didn't build a Gunpla for himself, he just built a new Gunpla for Reiji, even using that Gunpla in the world tournament, I guess so that he could test it and refine it and perfect it for Reiji. And when he finally accepted that Reiji wasn't coming back, he sealed that Gunpla away and stopped battling competitively.

A) You're really loving dumb. The back story of the BB is super simple. "Hey I made this unit based off of my last tourney entering robot for my space man friend who'll come back eventually. poo poo it's been awhile since he said he'd come back I think I'll just leave this here at school with our trophy as a little memory of our time together." Then a bland protagonist finds it and uses it.

B) It's totally possible and entirely probable that he did not spend 100% of the past 7 years building a robot for Reiji. Hell, in the epilogue of BF he had a new unit for himself. He probably just built something for Reiji as a gift on the side for when he came back. It's absolutely stupid to even entertain the idea that Sei has not been doing Gunpla related poo poo this entire time without the BB.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 12, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Yeah and then you put pictures of them up on the internet and somebody goes "Oh hey that one looks way better" and for some reason someone decided to get buthurt about you know people not appreciating the build process when they have nothing to do with it.

I'm not really sure where you're going with this considering I was talking about people who go "I can't believe this won a contest over X, it looks so boring".

Lostconfused posted:

Also model kits tend to sell based on character popularity or how cool they look which has nothing to do with the building part.

HG 00 got a huge bump in sales in the west mostly from being recommended by drat near everyone as one of the best starter kits so uh.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A) You're really loving dumb.
B) It's totally possible and entirely probably that he did not spend 100% of the past 7 years building a robot for Reiji. Hell, in the epilogue of BF he had a new unit for himself. He probably just built something for Reiji as a gift on the side for when he came back. It's absolutely stupid to even entertain the idea that Sei has been doing Gunpla related poo poo this entire time without the BB.

He didn't build it on the side, he used it in the world tournament. He fought in the world tournament with a Gunpla he meant for Reiji, instead of one he built for himself. Wasn't the first season about the 7th annual tournament? And he used the Build Burning in the 11th. So, four years after Reiji left, Sei builds a Gunpla for him, going so far as to use it in the world tournament. What happened to Sei four years after the end of season 1? Did he have some sort of weird breakdown/freakout?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not really sure where you're going with this considering I was talking about people who go "I can't believe this won a contest over X, it looks so boring".
Oh I was just going with your example still which was capped of with.

BlitzBlast posted:

There are a lot of people who would say the second one is better because it looks cooler... completely ignoring just how much work went into detailing and re-proportioning the first one.

Which almost implied you were judging people for expressing their tastes and not appreciating the same things you appreciate. I am sorry if I interpreted that incorrectly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think both the Lightning FB and the Star Winning are kickin' rad but in the context of the show where everything is drawn (so we can't actually see real differences in build quality and everyone never, ever shuts up about Yuuma winning the Grand Prix) and everything performs to a minimum baseline of high specs (Fumina is never, ever going to have the Star Winning suddenly fail to activate something due to poor building or w/e), it's a hell of a lot harder to sell Yuuma's monster-spec build as being as impressive as stuff like Fumina being able to slap dozens of functions onto her Gunpla.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He used something the BB was based on for the eleventh, then made the thing and hid it away.

Lostconfused posted:

I am sorry if I interpreted that incorrectly.

Oh, no problem. It was my bad for not linking to a specific GG article with comments like I'm talking about.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also, in the beginning of episode 2 Yuuma notes that the Gundam that exploded out of the Dom was 'like the machine Mr. Sei used in the 11th World Championship, but upgraded' so after using an earlier variant Sei most likely retuned it to fit what he recalled of Reiji's fighting style.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

He used something the BB was based on for the eleventh, then made the thing and hid it away.

I think that line is being taken out of context. Remember that nobody knows how Sekai got his robot. So when they see it they assume it is based off the Build Burning, not that it is literally the same unit.

Sakai even says that he recognizes it the first time he sees it.

Edit:

Looking back at episode 2, the line Yuuma says is "it was quite upgraded but... it was based on the Build Burning Gundam" but I'm pretty sure the actual line is supposed to be "it was quite highly tuned but..." and not "quite upgraded."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 12, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

He didn't build it on the side, he used it in the world tournament. He fought in the world tournament with a Gunpla he meant for Reiji, instead of one he built for himself. Wasn't the first season about the 7th annual tournament? And he used the Build Burning in the 11th. So, four years after Reiji left, Sei builds a Gunpla for him, going so far as to use it in the world tournament. What happened to Sei four years after the end of season 1? Did he have some sort of weird breakdown/freakout?

He based the BB off a unit he used in one year of the World Tournament. Dear god what a failure of moral character on that boy's behalf.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A) You're really loving dumb. The back story of the BB is super simple. "Hey I made this unit based off of my last tourney entering robot for my space man friend who'll come back eventually. poo poo it's been awhile since he said he'd come back I think I'll just leave this here at school with our trophy as a little memory of our time together." Then a bland protagonist finds it and uses it.

He built a Gunpla for someone he hadn't seen in four years, using it in the world tournament. that Gunpla was completely melee based for no reason, and didn't have weapons or a shield or a backpack, despite the fact that the Gunpla Reiji used had weapons and a really good backpack and a unique shield, all of which Reiji used all the time. Then he realized his friend wasn't coming back anytime soon if ever, so he sealed it in a Dom, then hid that Dom in a trophy.

But he kept almost enough spare parts to make a second one out of. Those he didn't seal away when he realized his friend was never coming back, in fact he took them with him when he went overseas.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, no problem. It was my bad for not linking to a specific GG article with comments like I'm talking about.
Ok I am sorry then, it's pretty stupid to argue about a hobby since it can be and is anything you want it to be.

I still think though that judging the "substance" of a thing through pictures is way more difficult and in no way comparable to actually examining that model kit for example up close and in person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

But he kept almost enough spare parts to make a second one out of. Those he didn't seal away when he realized his friend was never coming back, in fact he took them with him when he went overseas.

I'm almost positive Sei built those extra parts himself after he saw the Build Burning fight.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I think that line is being taken out of context. Remember that nobody knows how Sekai got his robot. So when they see it they assume it is based off the Build Burning, not that it is literally the same unit.

Well Yuuma literally saw it happen, and according to him:

Ral recognized it too, so that's why he called it the Build Burning.

So basically, my joke earlier was actually right and Sekai's machine doesn't actually have a name? :psyduck:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'm almost positive Sei built those extra parts himself after he saw the Build Burning fight.

Yeah Boom I'm not sure wher you're getting the idea that Sei didn't just make those recently. There's no way the dude stopped playing gunpla, he probably just made that poo poo when he saw the first televised match. Which implies he made them in the past few days and sent China along to deliver them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Well Yuuma literally saw it happen, and according to him:

No he didn't. He saw it burst out of the Dom. Right after the line you posted he wonders where he could have gotten that machine. The only person who knows where Sekai got his robot is Fumina. (Although presumably they told Yuuma at some point.)

BlitzBlast posted:

So basically, my joke earlier was actually right and Sekai's machine doesn't actually have a name? :psyduck:

Well, the model kit lists it as the BG-011B Build Burning Gundam (with the -011 being the tournament year, same as how G Gundam's are GF13)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

W.T. Fits posted:

Speaking of the soundtrack, I have to confess I got a bit misty-eyed when Yuuma opened up the case from Sei and a slightly remixed version of this starts playing in the background as China passes along Sei's message for Sekai. :unsmith:

I admit it Mao, you are a superior builder
and truly, that mega particle beam would've destroyed my Build Strike Gundam, if I had been the pilot
but its pilot isn't me, it's Reiji! and he would've dodged that and kept moving on

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

No he didn't. He saw it burst out of the Dom. Right after the line you posted he wonders where he could have gotten that machine. The only person who knows where Sekai got his robot is Fumina. (Although presumably they told Yuuma at some point.)

And right before he said it was upgraded so it's clearly not the same machine. And he doesn't know it was in the trophy anyways.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

But then shouldn't he have called up China and said "yo, I know you're on your way to the airport tomorrow to hand deliver those parts I made, but I'm watching your brother's team in the first round of the Nationals right now, and the Build Burning looks completely different. I guess that kid figured out how to make Gunplas or Yuuma did it for him or soemthing, so they don't need those parts"

edit: Hell, if Sei saw some redhead kid using a Gundam he made years ago and immediately started making parts for him, that's creepy too. Thanks, crazy adult guy trying to relive your highschool experiences.

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

But then shouldn't he have called up China and said "yo, I know you're on your way to the airport tomorrow to hand deliver those parts I made, but I'm watching your brother's team in the first round of the Nationals right now, and the Build Burning looks completely different. I guess that kid figured out how to make Gunplas or Yuuma did it for him or soemthing, so they don't need those parts"

Something Yuuma explicitly states is that he lacks the skills to rebuild the Try's broken arm from scratch. He even admits that even if he tried it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the original.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something Yuuma explicitly states is that he lacks the skills to rebuild the Try's broken arm from scratch. He even admits that even if he tried it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the original.

How does Sei know that? All Sei knows is that the kid is now using a new variant of the Build Burning that doesn't even have "Build" in it's name anymore, and Yuuma is a master builder who won the Artistic Gunpla Grand Prix.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Edit: Jesus Christ.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Feb 12, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Basically the chain of events seems to be:

- Sei builds and pilots the Build Burning Gundam for the 11th world championship.
- Afterwards, he changes it up a bit to better suit Reiji's affinity for close combat and hides it away in a trophy, probably thinking that if Reiji ever came back he'd go to Sei's old school first.
- Sekai accidentally finds it and manages to reveal the kit.
- Ral recognizes it as being based off the Build Burning and names it that. Not knowing any better, Sekai just sticks with the name.

boom boom boom posted:

How does Sei know that? All Sei knows is that the kid is now using a new variant of the Build Burning that doesn't even have "Build" in it's name anymore, and Yuuma is a master builder who won the Artistic Gunpla Grand Prix.

Presumably he took a look at Yuuma's kits and got a general estimate of his capabilities?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Presumably he took a look at Yuuma's kits and got a general estimate of his capabilities?

Or even just being nice and sending a care package just in case, because he knows how easily poo poo gets wrecked in even a regular gunpla battle on Damage Level A.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

boom boom boom posted:

Sei is the best builder in the world and if he can't figure it out from like 440p youtube footage of the lightning gundam that yuuma's skills aren't up to snuff (also he taught yuuma how to build gunpla) then he needs to have his badge revoked

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically the chain of events seems to be:

- Sei builds and pilots the Build Burning Gundam for the 11th world championship.
- Afterwards, he changes it up a bit to better suit Reiji's affinity for close combat and hides it away in a trophy, probably thinking that if Reiji ever came back he'd go to Sei's old school first.
- Sekai accidentally finds it and manages to reveal the kit.
- Ral recognizes it as being based off the Build Burning and names it that. Not knowing any better, Sekai just sticks with the name.

I went back and checked the scene. Unless the translation's off, China specifically says Sei built it for Reiji, and customized it for Reiji. Not that he built it, and then customized it for Reiji.

BlitzBlast posted:

muike posted:

Sei is the best builder in the world and if he can't figure it out from like 440p youtube footage of the lightning gundam that yuuma's skills aren't up to snuff (also he taught yuuma how to build gunpla) then he needs to have his badge revoked

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Or even just being nice and sending a care package just in case, because he knows how easily poo poo gets wrecked in even a regular gunpla battle on Damage Level A.

If Sei kept the spare parts for the Build Burning, that's weird of Sei, but sending them makes a kind of sense, they're the rest of the Build Burning, which he sees as Sekai's, so Sekai should have them. If he whipped up the spare parts when he saw Sekai using the Build Burning in the Regionals, that means he, an adult and master Gunpla Builder and Gundam Battle champion, decided to give that 13 year old kid fighting other 13 year olds, a poo poo ton of pretty inappropriate help, and then saw that the Build Burning had been customized, and said, "eh, that sucks. China! Either that kid using the Build Burning or your brother can't build for poo poo! Or both! You better take these world class parts to those 13 year olds fighting other 13 year olds"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

I went back and checked the scene. Unless the translation's off, China specifically says Sei built it for Reiji, and customized it for Reiji. Not that he built it, and then customized it for Reiji.

If Sei kept the spare parts for the Build Burning, that's weird of Sei, but sending them makes a kind of sense, they're the rest of the Build Burning, which he sees as Sekai's, so Sekai should have them. If he whipped up the spare parts when he saw Sekai using the Build Burning in the Regionals, that means he, an adult and master Gunpla Builder and Gundam Battle champion, decided to give that 13 year old kid fighting other 13 year olds, a poo poo ton of pretty inappropriate help, and then saw that the Build Burning had been customized, and said, "eh, that sucks. China! Either that kid using the Build Burning or your brother can't build for poo poo! Or both! You better take these world class parts to those 13 year olds fighting other 13 year olds"

They're in the Under-19 bracket, and most of the other teams are prestigious schools with the budget and tools to give their teams fully-furnished engineering labs. Not to mention that one of the teams is a Gunpla Academy, coached by PPSE's ex-chief engineer.

Caros
May 14, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

edit: Hell, if Sei saw some redhead kid using a Gundam he made years ago and immediately started making parts for him, that's creepy too. Thanks, crazy adult guy trying to relive your highschool experiences.

You are a really unfun person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
"hey this kid on my girlfriend's brother's team is using a gunpla i made a while ago and he's doing really good! oh poo poo he got hosed up i don't know if yuuma has the spare parts to fix it"

the only weird thing about it to me was that he just sent china. "hey babe will go on a really long flight to hand-deliver this to your brother for me?"

• Locked thread