Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
That's actually something I'm rather worried about. I have ADHD, and know I can function without my Concerta(extended release Ritalin) especially when I'm in a more regimented lifestyle. I'm just worried about how I'm going to go about the application process for musician a few years down the road when I cross that bridge. My psychiatrist told me that if I go off the meds for a year, and have a written statement from her about being mentally fit or whatever, that it would go over fine. I'm just too cynical from the stories I've read and heard to believe it would be that simple though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

http://www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/en/dynamic-article.page?doc=the-evolution-of-the-smart-gun/i5xyz550

Insert government ads "O Canada" jingle here. :canada:

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Didn't everyone else realize that 'loving bulky' is not a good thing for a gun to be in like the 90's? Also why put the money into that when the odds of it getting issued are 'hahahahahafuckno', and the procurement process(should it overcome those odds) will take so long that everyone else will be using lasers and railguns?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Holy poo poo can that thing even fit through the hatch on a LAV?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DrakeriderCa posted:

Holy poo poo can that thing even fit through the hatch on a LAV?

Just mount some wheels on it and boom, no need for LAVs anymore!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

3 round 40mm GL or 12G shotgun?

C'mon Pulse Rifle! Just give me an LED ammo counter on the side.

Addman
Dec 6, 2005
Is that something that will actually ever be used, or does it fall into the category of those articles about invisibility suits I see from the US?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Weapon of the future!

Still uses a C79A2 sight

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Colt Canada has had a C7A3 available for years and we haven't picked that up, so this is kind of laughable.

As few as future weapons go, I doubt we'd be able to procure something even marginally different or futuristic, just based on how hosed up procurement is. Converting to bullpups or a future cartridge like 6x35 would probably be more than the system can take.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....
So I put in for a transfer from reservist infantry to reg force pilot. It's been something like 4 months since I've heard a peep from DMCPG 5-5, and my clerks are saying this is totally normal, and that there is literally nothing I can do to know what's happening (or not happening). I have not been assigned a broker or anything - they only contacted me to have them sent my diplomas and other academic info.

I'm betting this is normal, red star and NOW HIRING nonwithstanding... Right?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Frankie! posted:

So I put in for a transfer from reservist infantry to reg force pilot. It's been something like 4 months since I've heard a peep from DMCPG 5-5, and my clerks are saying this is totally normal, and that there is literally nothing I can do to know what's happening (or not happening). I have not been assigned a broker or anything - they only contacted me to have them sent my diplomas and other academic info.

I'm betting this is normal, red star and NOW HIRING nonwithstanding... Right?

I'm in the process of doing a CT from reserve to reg force too, started in October 2013. I first heard back in June 2014 and just had an interview with the BPSO last month with the intake likely happening in the April 2015 fiscal year. My experience has been that if you don't hear anything it doesn't mean the wheels are not (slowly) grinding.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
It is never a good idea to just assume that someone is taking care of your paperwork and that it isn't lost under a pile of bullshit never to be seen again.

Frankie!
Apr 1, 2006
Ceci n'est pas un titre....

ub posted:

It is never a good idea to just assume that someone is taking care of your paperwork and that it isn't lost under a pile of bullshit never to be seen again.

I agree, however I don't really see who I can get to look into it, seeing as my clerks tell me they can't do anything about it and I don't have anyone else to annoy for progress reports. We've all heard horror stories about papers "dissapearing"... I can't really take a chance with this stuff.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/jason-kenney-says-canada-is-open-to-training-ukrainian-forces-1.2954100

I guess with Op Attention over last year we should theoretically have the ability to send troops over for a training mission. But, otherwise, I love filthy rumours like this of a tour.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Melian Dialogue posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/jason-kenney-says-canada-is-open-to-training-ukrainian-forces-1.2954100

I guess with Op Attention over last year we should theoretically have the ability to send troops over for a training mission. But, otherwise, I love filthy rumours like this of a tour.

Op Pyrohy.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Oh God, this will make for terrible exercise names in 10 years EX UKRAINE DEFENDER

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Oh God, this will make for terrible exercise names in 10 years EX UKRAINE DEFENDER

EX PYSANKA WARRIOR
EX MAPLE COSSACK

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

EX PYSANKA WARRIOR
EX MAPLE COSSACK

EX SIBERIAN GUNNER

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

EX SIBERIAN GUNNER

EX ARCTIC DICKWAVE

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Canuck-Errant posted:

EX ARCTIC DICKWAVE

Well now you're just pulling from the subtext of the name of every exercise thats happened in the arctic..

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Samu posted:

So if anyone is driving onto Edmonton Garrison and is wondering who the gently caress installed Texas Barrier chicanes at all the entrances to make life a living hell getting through the gates in the morning.

It was me. I did it. gently caress you guys I'm out in 37 days.

Samu, i just wanted to say i read this whole thread and following your journey from training the to that last post has been somethin

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 14, 2015

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SuperSix posted:

Samu, i just wanted to say i read this whole thread and following your journey from training the to that last post has been somethin

Ya I remember when he came in here all excited to get to regiment then slowly over time have the life and desire to stay in stripped away leaving a bitter husk like any other sane person who joined the military.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I was thinking the same thing. Glad you got out early and didn't waste 25 years of your life.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

acumen posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Glad you got out early and didn't waste 25 years of your life.

drat, the reason i read all these posts was that i was just considering applying

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 16, 2015

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Haha, yeah I have to say you can see the life being sucked out of me over the course of the thread. I don't regret joining the army but it's been terrible the last year with budget cuts and other nonsense.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SuperSix posted:

drat, the reason i read all these posts was that i was just considering applying

Yeah, same. Now I'm thinking I should just dump my life savings into the 6/49 and hope I don't need to find a cardboard box to live in.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Samu posted:

Haha, yeah I have to say you can see the life being sucked out of me over the course of the thread. I don't regret joining the army but it's been terrible the last year with budget cuts and other nonsense.

As I've said before, I don't regret a single minute of my time in. I had a great time, met some great people, and learned some great things. Wouldn't want to do it 'till retirement though.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In a vacuum, it's not a bad gig. You basically can't be fired as long as you don't get hurt, you'll learn all kinds of neat stuff (some of it even useful), the benefits are good, a lot of the people you'll meet are rock fuckin solid human beings, and even if your career is a steaming heap a pension of 65% of a corporal's wage is enough to live on if you're not a total idiot.

If you're unable to work in an environment that doesn't give your accomplishments any validation and you can't stand the idea of a barely literate man child, who was only promoted to his current rank because some other section got sick of his poo poo and wanted him gone, jerking you around with temper tantrums because he thinks your life should suck as much as he thinks his life did, look elsewhere.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Do your time, learn a skill, do some cool poo poo, and get out. That's my take away from all this.

Budget cuts killed my motivation to stay in, but we'll see how it goes.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Do your time, learn a skill, do some cool poo poo, and get out. That's my take away from all this.

Budget cuts killed my motivation to stay in, but we'll see how it goes.

Yea that's the plan. Hopefully there are still DEO trades in demand and I don't wait 2 years to get in since my resume probably isn't top notch just coming out of Uni.

Although I'm kind of considering NCM because some trades look cool as hell

flakeloaf posted:

In a vacuum, it's not a bad gig. You basically can't be fired as long as you don't get hurt, you'll learn all kinds of neat stuff (some of it even useful), the benefits are good, a lot of the people you'll meet are rock fuckin solid human beings, and even if your career is a steaming heap a pension of 65% of a corporal's wage is enough to live on if you're not a total idiot.

If you're unable to work in an environment that doesn't give your accomplishments any validation and you can't stand the idea of a barely literate man child, who was only promoted to his current rank because some other section got sick of his poo poo and wanted him gone, jerking you around with temper tantrums because he thinks your life should suck as much as he thinks his life did, look elsewhere.

Hahaha duly noted. Love your Garrioch by the way

SuperSix fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 16, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

SuperSix posted:

Love your Garrioch by the way

Don't make bets in SAS :(

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So if I was to CT over to Armour what are my chances of ending up in a LAV / Recce vs a Leo?

Is there any kind of height restriction for tanks?

e: I know it's probably crazy to stay in / CT to another combat arms branch, just idly wondering.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 16, 2015

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there any kind of height restriction for tanks?

Yes and it's ridiculously short, like 5'8". Driver's seat in the newest Leos is some sort of cramped affair. Could still do recce!

Found a thread - http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=89141.0

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Welp. I guess I'll ride out my time on the guns then!

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

stevobob fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 16, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

stevobob posted:

I start my QL3 tomorrow!

9 more months in Borden :negative:

It could be worse. It could always be worse.

It could be Wainwright. Or Shilo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:byodame: STAFF OR STUDENT

If you have a penis, do not use it within a 50 mile radius of Angus.
If you have a mouth, and you like to put chicken wings in it, use it in the restaurant just outside the Angus gate.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

stevobob posted:

I start my QL3 tomorrow!

9 more months in Borden :negative:

You know the only thing worse than doing your 3s in Borden? Going back on your 5s and NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

flakeloaf posted:

:byodame: STAFF OR STUDENT

If you have a mouth, and you like to put chicken wings in it, use it in the restaurant just outside the Angus gate.

Well the staff or student bit made me shudder.

The rest is 2000% percent true! Especially the part about wings.

Can't wait to go back on 5s. Wait. Yes I can. Another year while the new course is set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

flakeloaf posted:

Hey!! As someone who grew up in Barrie, all I can say is.... I totally agree.. :saddowns: