Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

muike posted:

"hey this kid on my girlfriend's brother's team is using a gunpla i made a while ago and he's doing really good! oh poo poo he got hosed up i don't know if yuuma has the spare parts to fix it"

the only weird thing about it to me was that he just sent china. "hey babe will go on a really long flight to hand-deliver this to your brother for me?"

If you've ever shipped a Gunpla overseas you know that the only way to get it to arrive on time is to literally hand deliver the loving thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Or he could have just decided to give Yuuma a hand because he is his girlfriend's little brother.

quote:

China specifically says Sei built it for Reiji, and customized it for Reiji. Not that he built it, and then customized it for Reiji.

I think he's referring to the kit inside the box, which is also named the Build Burning. It's kind of confusing, and I get the feeling we'll never know for certain until the MG comes out and clarifies the backstory because all the HG's manual says about it is "Sei built it".

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Caros posted:

If you've ever shipped a Gunpla overseas you know that the only way to get it to arrive on time is to literally hand deliver the loving thing.

She had an art exposition in like a few hours!!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

muike posted:

"hey this kid on my girlfriend's brother's team is using a gunpla i made a while ago and he's doing really good! oh poo poo he got hosed up i don't know if yuuma has the spare parts to fix it"

the only weird thing about it to me was that he just sent china. "hey babe will go on a really long flight to hand-deliver this to your brother for me?"

That's not weird, he's just continuing the proud of Iori tradition of being a giant poo poo when it comes to family

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, you gotta admit.

Sei is just like his dad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

When Sei appears he'll have a beer gut, bald spot, thousand yard stare, 8 o'clock shadow, and a wife beater, with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a perfectly built Freedom in the other because it's the only freedom he's got now with his nag of a girlfriend chaining him down!!!

Yuuki will drive him to Reiji's grave, but can't bring himself to say something.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

How do you not see that as an absurdly inappropriate amount of help for a grown man to give children in a competition against other children?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the Gunpla Battle System.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

She had an art exposition in like a few hours!!

I thought it was implied the exhibition was already a thing, she'd just ducked out to Japan and back to deliver the spare parts.

chumbler posted:

When Sei appears he'll have a beer gut, bald spot, thousand yard stare, 8 o'clock shadow, and a wife beater, with a bottle of whiskey in one hand and a perfectly built Star Build Freedom in the other.

Let me dream :sigh:.

boom boom boom posted:

How do you not see that as an absurdly inappropriate amount of help for a grown man to give children in a competition against other children?

Quoting my own last post;

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're in the Under-19 bracket, and most of the other teams are prestigious schools with the budget and tools to give their teams fully-furnished engineering labs. Not to mention that one of the teams is a Gunpla Academy, coached by PPSE's ex-chief engineer.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

He gave the parts for the Build Burning anyways, so Yuuma will have to modify them into the Try Burning all over again.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'd imagine Sei is far too busy scouring the Parisian catacombs for a portal to Arian.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

He gave the parts for the Build Burning anyways, so Yuuma will have to modify them into the Try Burning all over again.

That part's not really surprising though, as the Try Burning is Yuuma's thing. It's really probably easier to give Yuuma parts to modify himself than try to replicate it without knowing what Yuuma did.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Quoting my own last post;

From the context it seems like you're disagreeing with me, but you bolded the 19 in under 19, which agrees with what I said, so I don't really know how to respond to this.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
they just fought some triplet rear end niggas who made a particle dragon this is clearly a no-holds barred, all poo poo is IN kind of place

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I kind of understand what you mean but on the other hand, any child who has made it here is a hard motherfucker

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

From the context it seems like you're disagreeing with me, but you bolded the 19 in under 19, which agrees with what I said, so I don't really know how to respond to this.

They're not going up against just kids roughly their age, they're going up against anything up to high-school graduates. Hell, just take a look at the teams like White Wolf or two of the Gunpla Academy team members.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

muike posted:

they just fought some triplet rear end niggas who made a particle dragon this is clearly a no-holds barred, all poo poo is IN kind of place

At high school science fairs, you're allowed to be way better than everyone else, but you aren't allowed to just have your dad do it for you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Reiji just had his friend build his kit for him, so.

And once again, Sei gave the parts for the Build Burning, not the Try. Yuuma's going to have to put in work anyways.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ain't nothin in the rules says a dog can't gunpla battle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Absolutely no one in either season gives a poo poo if the Gunpla you're piloting is something built by you or not (except for the 'personal pride' issue and that was only raised by a single guy), so I don't see the issue.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BlitzBlast posted:

Reiji just had his friend build his kit for him, so.

And once again, Sei gave the parts for the Build Burning, not the Try. Yuuma's going to have to put in work anyways.

Reiji wasn't competing in an age-restricted tournament

Pureauthor posted:

Absolutely no one in either season gives a poo poo if the Gunpla you're piloting is something built by you or not (except for the 'personal pride' issue and that was only raised by a single guy), so I don't see the issue.

In the first season the tournament wasn't age-restricted, and this season no one else has been using a Gunpla made by an adult.

Caros
May 14, 2008

muike posted:

Ain't nothin in the rules says a dog horse can't gunpla battle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

Ain't nothin in the rules says a dog can't gunpla battle.

Someone turns up with the Master Gundam and Fumiyoshi. The Fumiyoshi custom is piloted by an actual horse in a Char helmet.

boom boom boom posted:

In the first season the tournament wasn't age-restricted, and this season no one else has been using a Gunpla made by an adult.

Again; one of the teams has PPSE's Chief Engineer as their coach. There's no way in hell he hasn't influenced their designs.

Caros
May 14, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Other than the Gunpla academy guys who are probably 18+. Or the main badguys from the qualifiers who were on their last year making them 18-19.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A show for children where children are presented as being as competent and empowered as actual adults? Bullshit!! gently caress!! Don't kids understand that kids are retards!!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Again; one of the teams has PPSE's Chief Engineer as their coach. There's no way in hell he hasn't influenced their designs.

Shia was explicitly shown building her Gundam by herself, basically in secret. Allan didn't built the Gunpla Academy's Gunpla for them

Caros posted:

Other than the Gunpla academy guys who are probably 18+. Or the main badguys from the qualifiers who were on their last year making them 18-19.

They definitely aren't 19, as it's an under-19 tournament.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

A show for children where children are presented as being as competent and empowered as actual adults? Bullshit!! gently caress!! Don't kids understand that kids are retards!!

Also this isn't just some little inter-highschool thing, it's a major televised event. You better believe those schools are making sure they have the best tools and techniques for their fighters so they don't look bad.

boom boom boom posted:

Shia was explicitly shown building her Gundam by herself, basically in secret. Allan didn't built the Gunpla Academy's Gunpla for them

And I'm sure she gained the skills to do so in a vacuum with no input whatsoever from a brother and a coach in a multi-championship-winning team.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

quote:

They definitely aren't 19, as it's an under-19 tournament.

Well I guess that sucks for anyone who was born too early in the year then.

Also, it was apparently fine for Sudou to commission Minato to build the Mega-Shiki because Minato is heads and shoulders above everyone else who could build a Gunpla for him - but only if Minato is young enough. Do you realize how idiotic that sounds?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And I'm sure she gained the skills to do so in a vacuum with no input whatsoever from a brother and a coach in a multi-championship-winning team.

That's absurd. She was trained in Gunpla by world class Gunpla builders at a school built around Gunpla. She had every possible advantage.

Well, not every possible advantage. A former World champion didn't give her a wold championship winning Gunpla and then a bunch of spare parts so she never had to learn anything about Gunpla building herself. That'd be absurd.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pureauthor posted:

Well I guess that sucks for anyone who was born too early in the year then.

Also, it was apparently fine for Sudou to commission Minato to build the Mega-Shiki because Minato is heads and shoulders above everyone else who could build a Gunpla for him - but only if Minato is young enough. Do you realize how idiotic that sounds?

You've literally never heard of the concept of age brackets in competition? Or you're familiar with them, you just disagree with them?

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I liked this episode. Star Winning owns, too. Need that robot. I think I need most of the new robots from this show, with like, three exceptions. :v:

In regards to recent discussion, I choose to believe that Sei tuned into the Nationals, saw the Build Try Burning Gundam, and both reflexively and unconsciously started to build an entire spare kit because he remembered how many times Reiji wrecked the Build Strike/SBS and Absorb Shield. When the match was over, he looked down at the finished kit and figured he might as well let it get put to use.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

That's absurd. She was trained in Gunpla by world class Gunpla builders at a school built around Gunpla. She had every possible advantage.

So how's this different to your earlier remark of them having to build it themselves? Pretty sure those tutors aren't going to be under 19.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So how's this different to your earlier remark of them having to build it themselves? Pretty sure those tutors aren't going to be under 19.

Because the tutors didn't build the Gunpla for her.

Do you not know what tutors are?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

boom boom boom posted:

You've literally never heard of the concept of age brackets in competition? Or you're familiar with them, you just disagree with them?

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your argument. Are you saying that Sei giving extra parts for Try Fighters to use isn't allowed, or that it shouldn't be allowed?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not even sure why everyone's even arguing here because I'm pretty sure one of the reasons people don't like Sekai that much is because he didn't build his own kit and hasn't been given much reason to learn how to do it either.

boom boom boom's argument has changed from "Why did Sei make the parts, that's so creepy" to "why did he give the parts to Yuuma, does he think that little of him" to "why is Sekai just getting outside help like that, it's unfair". And that last one isn't really wrong either, it's just a part of Sekai's aura of suck.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pureauthor posted:

Sorry, I think I may have misunderstood your argument. Are you saying that Sei giving extra parts for Try Fighters to use isn't allowed, or that it shouldn't be allowed?

They've never said it isn't allowed, so I guess it's allowed, but it definitely shouldn't be allowed. It's an unfair advantage.

BlitzBlast posted:

boom boom boom's argument has changed from "Why did Sei make the parts, that's so creepy" to "why did he give the parts to Yuuma, does he think that little of him" to "why is Sekai just getting outside help like that, it's unfair". And that last one isn't really wrong either, it's just a part of Sekai's aura of suck.

My argument hasn't changed, all of those stand, they're just addressed to different points others have raised.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh, well in that case

Caros posted:

You are a really unfun person.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I'm not even sure why everyone's even arguing here because I'm pretty sure one of the reasons people don't like Sekai that much is because he didn't build his own kit and hasn't been given much reason to learn how to do it either.

I wonder if the writers just wanted to do a Gunpla equivalent of the standard 'kid falls into the cockpit' plot so many other Gundam shows use without considering the ramifications. Of course in 'standard' Gundam shows no one gives the kids grief for having 0 interest in maintaining their machines so :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if the writers just wanted to do a Gunpla equivalent of the standard 'kid falls into the cockpit' plot so many other Gundam shows use without considering the ramifications. Of course in 'standard' Gundam shows no one gives the kids grief for having 0 interest in maintaining their machines so :v:

Sekai's problem is he has literally nothing to him other than hitting things and smiling. Even when they got together to do the upgrades, his involvement was "I'm gonna go punch things while Yuuma does it for me". The only other things he's done in eighteen episodes is wince at his sister's ball-breaking strike, and sing Anime Ja Nai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok people literally paid money for services rendered namely bought gunpla from the best builders in the country. Brought in ringers from overseas to stack to play for their school. gently caress the rules, play to win!

• Locked thread