Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Zeruel posted:

Is there a changelog somewhere? Mobs are getting stun resistances, Hellions are getting debuffs when using Breakthru

Shits hosed!

Steam forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

enraged_camel posted:

I understand the mentality behind hiring people for free, but firing should carry a penalty, maybe +10 stress to everyone in your roster, or something like that.

How about a stress penalty to the hero you are dismissing, applied retroactively during their previous dungeon run? A sufficiently advanced RNG could use knowledge of the future to apply more stress affects to the hero that you are going to dismiss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zeruel posted:

Is there a changelog somewhere? Mobs are getting stun resistances, Hellions are getting debuffs when using Breakthru

Shits hosed!

We posted it a couple pages ago in this very thread :) It does move fast though.

MacheteZombie posted:

I worry about the Iron Swan change, and am curious what "No heroes are truly immortal" is referring to.

Steam posted:

This is the first patch to have some focused gameplay changes, but it will not be the last! Remember that the game is in Early Access, and we'll be experimenting with mechanics and balance for the foreseeable future. Strap in and come along for the ride!

These changes are based upon consistent feedback and observed results from the game's first week and a half of play:
Champion (L5) Monsters: increased difficulty across the board.
Grave Robber needed a little somethin': increased Speed, added stacking Accuracy buffs for Thrown Dagger and Poison Dart
Hellion is an absolute wrecking machine. This is intentional, but she still needed dialed down a tiny bit: Reduced starting HP, restricted Iron Swan to position 1 only, added Exhaust to Breakthru and slightly reduced crit, but increased dmg buff of Bleed Out
Plague Doctor: Increased Blight and Disease Resistance, increased Blight damage of Noxious Blast and Plague Grenade, Added a small heal to Battlefield Medicine. Now she's the hero we deserve, not just the hero we need.
Ghoul, Swinetaur, Unclean Giant: increased HP to make them even a little more menacing.
Gargoyles: increased dodge, reduced dmg, increased crit. Focus up your Accuracy to hit these beasts!
Bone Arbalist: reduced Bayonet Jab crit. Should be less threatening at the front.
Heroes don't like it when you prolong combat unnecessarily
Added 'Clear Head' moderate Stun Resistance buff to heroes and monsters after clearing an existing stun. Stacks for consecutive stuns.
No heroes are truly immortal
Other fixes and changes:
Fixed crash at end of dungeon raid caused by incompatible quirks
Added threshold for health bar display based on actor scale
Improved backup save file handling
Fixed purge result announcement

E: I'm guessing the no immortality thing means they increased the chances death blows land on heroes.

I too am mourning over the changes to my hellions.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The spelling of Breakthru makes me irrationally angry and I don't care who knows!!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

poptart_fairy posted:

The spelling of Breakthru makes me irrationally angry and I don't care who knows!!!!

Its always made me a little uncomfortable too.

Its not a loving drivethru.

Hell, even drivethrus should be called drivethroughs. Stupid American-English.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ErIog posted:

You should be getting enough resources from these grind-ey runs to upgrade the stagecoach so you get access to more people. You also don't need to always use the newbies exclusively. Sometimes you'll have a guy get out of the last run with pretty low stress, and you can re-use them for your next grind run if you need to. So I'll typically create a party of mostly newbies, and then like one low-stress level 1 guy to patch holes in the party composition.

This grinding is also good for getting characters you want that have good quirks. You don't have to dismiss all the guys from the grind run if you don't want to. You can get rid of the weak ones, and keep the ones you want to continue grooming later. So these runs are a good way to get resources to upgrade the Hamlet, get money for upgrading/destressing your high level recruits, and also good for finding recruits suitable for training up.

Early on you need those little note/paper resource things to upgrade the wagon, so if you get boned really hard a few times it becomes a pain in the rear end to get to where you can farm them.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The jester party buff stacks on itself, and after the first level grants speed as well as accuracy and crit. His stress heal is a 60 or 70% chance per person. If you want a super simple way to use him, give him some +spd -acc trinkets to make sure he goes first. Run away if you need to, otherwise buff the party. Round two, did you murder almost their whole team last round? If so, use stress relief, otherwise buff again. Round three, did you murder almost their whole team last round? If so, use stress relief, otherwise buff again.

So I restarted to mess with plague doctors, since my main game I don't have room to start a full party to be able to field a plague doctor. I got some of the worst rng luck I've had in the game, things like having to explore every room for my 100% room battles and having tons of fights, to having 3 walls spawn on a small ruins, to runs with constant bandits critting out the rear end. I think I've only managed to actually finish like 3 quests, it has been really crazy. Here is my week12 team fresh off the wagon, in the last room in this short 100% room battle mission (I didn't take a picture of the previous fight right outside, where I ran into the 3 bandits and got a surprise round and murdered their face off):

It was really, really stressful, and getting the positive resolve was amazing, because he buffed the party with +15% damage. The 1hp heal actually came into play to pull a guy off death's door to remove that debuff.

I'm at week 13, I have 50k gold and have gathered around 40 or so busts and deeds

If I had better luck with dungeon layout/enemy spawns, I would have been on to normal parties way sooner than this and I probably already could have even with my complete poo poo luck on this estate so far. I guess what I'm saying is don't start over, you can send lemmings in with 4 food and a shovel and get great returns (I actually also usually put 1-2 supply items based on where I'm going as well, but that's a little more advanced).

I have accidentally thrown away about 3 trinkets I wanted to keep though, because I'm terrible at this trinket UI.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I just got ruined on one of those explore every room for 100% fight completion, lost my best Occultist, Bounty Hunter, and Hellion. Somehow I still won because my Tough Skin, Precision Striker Leper is a goddang superhero and takes one damage from literally every attack while hitting like a truck. So while I'm pretty sad, that was hilarious and I cant be too disappointed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
Are different heroes more or less likely to appear? I've seen 1 bounty hunter during the entire time that I've played

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

Are different heroes more or less likely to appear? I've seen 1 bounty hunter during the entire time that I've played

Nah, it's random. It took me like 12 weeks to get a highwayman.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Improbable Lobster posted:

Same here. And Plague Doctors all over.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Man, Lepers already hit hard, but with a PD and an occultist they can reach 105% damage with Dark Strength, Emboldening Vapors and Revenge, and their own camp buff makes the accuracy penalty of revenge a non-issue. Add a Bounty Hunter's This is How We Do It and their crit goes up to +15% as well.

edit: And two berserk charms for the extra speed and +30% damage. Nothing stands before my Leper and lives!

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 12, 2015

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

poptart_fairy posted:

I politely informed a coworker that its sort of unprofessional to spell it "thru" in official emails and he was like whatever gramps.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

poptart_fairy posted:

Why the hell do these assholes cause so much stress purely by spilling wine on my guy in full plate. :argh:
It's really TEMPTING wine :cthulhu:

Or maybe they all actually have Ablutomania and just can't bear the thought of those stains not coming out :ohdear: Yet more hidden stats

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
gently caress Lepers forever.

I had one that somehow ended up getting two -Accuracy quirks during a dungeon... enemy crits and his constant whiffing killed the party.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 12, 2015

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It's really TEMPTING wine :cthulhu:

Or maybe they all actually have Ablutomania and just can't bear the thought of those stains not coming out :ohdear: Yet more hidden stats

They don't drink...wine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
ITS PEOPLE! BONE COURTIER WINE IS PEOPLE!!! :byodood:

Those guys used to be my most hated enemy until I ran into the pigs in the warrens, which basically do the same thing as them only with a chance to give you horrible diseases as well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm inclined to believe the stress is actually coming from an compulsion spell that makes you want to drink from the never-empty glass of Soylent Cianti.

Jackard posted:

gently caress Lepers forever.

I had one that somehow ended up getting two -Accuracy quirks during a dungeon... enemy crits and his constant whiffing killed the party.

Camp. Buffs. Never miss again.

Sorry for your loss, all the same. :(

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's not the wine that's tempting you, it's the golden goblet. Your guy's stressing out about having that shiny gold cup being held by a skeleton instead of in his lootin' sack.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I am going to dress up like a skeleton pirate and throw a goblet of wine into you guys' faces and see if you don't get stressed out about the situation.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

poptart_fairy posted:

Why the hell do these assholes cause so much stress purely by spilling wine on my guy in full plate. :argh:

It's Kool-aid with no sugar, poo poo would stress out anyone

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The stress probably at comes from the fact that tempting goblet never. Ever. Misses.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Oof, I just barely got enough Deeds to get level 3 weapons and armor before my entire roster reached Resolve 3 and locked myself out of all the easy dungeons until I recruited more people.

For those just starting out, make sure you're spending more time in the Weald then other places as you get your people leveled up, because you absolutely want level 3 weapons and armor on people when you start going into medium level dungeons, and that takes a lot of Deeds and a lot of cash.

What I just averted for myself wouldn't really be a lose condition but I was looking at a full party roster with substandard gear that couldn't go into easy dungeons anymore for farming. I could have expanded my roster size... but that also takes Deeds. You'd end up faced with the choice of either blowing Deeds to expand your roster or kicking 4 people out of your group who have a lot of effort put into them in order to start with fresh faces.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

S.J. posted:

Nah, it's random. It took me like 12 weeks to get a highwayman.

18 weeks here :)
I'd lost Dismas in the second week, too.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

animatorZed posted:

18 weeks here :)
I'd lost Dismas in the second week, too.

I lost him in the tutorial :(

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

poptart_fairy posted:

The skill sucks now anyway, don't use it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I think I'd prefer if they'd just made Hellion flimsier rather than weakening her attacks. Make her a powerhouse that demands support to stay alive.

In fact, I think a trend towards more damage-less health for everything across the board would be a healthy direction to push the game balance. Ten turns of slowly plinking back and fourth can become a slog. I'd prefer combat swift and merciless.

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Rocketlex posted:

I think I'd prefer if they'd just made Hellion flimsier rather than weakening her attacks. Make her a powerhouse that demands support to stay alive.

In fact, I think a trend towards more damage-less health for everything across the board would be a healthy direction to push the game balance. Ten turns of slowly plinking back and fourth can become a slog. I'd prefer combat swift and merciless.

If you want swift combat, build a team composition around it. Combat should never go to turn 10 unless you're really stun/heal heavy.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Zaphod42 posted:

We posted it a couple pages ago in this very thread :) It does move fast though.

I too am mourning over the changes to my hellions.

Thanks, I must have missed it in my IRRATIONAL state.

They've also actually made it so the negative stress effects are more prominent, especially while camping. poo poo's still fukt.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even against the tankiest enemies I don't think I've had combat go over 6 rounds.

...now against loving dogs and gargoyles I know I've gotten up to 10 at least :suicide:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Teslavi posted:

If you want swift combat, build a team composition around it. Combat should never go to turn 10 unless you're really stun/heal heavy.

I was exaggerating. It just feels like combat takes a long time the way the damage is balanced.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Ghostpilot posted:

The stress probably at comes from the fact that tempting goblet never. Ever. Misses.
A thousand times, this. And when it crits, the double stress plus party stress is just brutal.

I got this game on Sunday or Monday, and I've put 21 hours into it already. It's so addictive. I can't wait until they open up the other two areas.

Also, after being about 50 weeks in, I've seen a grand total of two Hellions (pre-nerf). One died at level 3. :negative:

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Do new quirks overwrite old ones if you get more than 7? Just had a few dudes get an eighth and their oldest quirks disappeared.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Quirks used to just replace random ones, positive or negative. Maybe the patch changed something but I doubt it.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Rascyc posted:

Quirks used to just replace random ones, positive or negative. Maybe the patch changed something but I doubt it.

Ah, so that's what it is. On one hand I'm kind of bummed out because chance took off some of my most favorite quirks and replaced them with some really dumb ones (+ranged damage for my crusader, thanks), but I can see why they'd hard limit them like that. Though it'd be a lot cooler if you had some form of controlling which quirks get deleted.

Also, I know that it sounds self explanatory, but what exactly does Speed affect? How much does it determine turn order, because I feel that that's a bit random at times. And some dudes have a Speed base when it comes to weapon stats? How does that work?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Sometimes the game is a dick in clever ways. I picked up a Demon's Cauldron, which is an Occultist-Specific item that grants +20 to Bleeds, +20 to Stuns and +5% crit while coming with a penalty of -12% to Resist Affliction.

:raise:: "Hey, that's not so bad. What Bleeds do Occultists have access to? Hmm... :what: Oh: the bleed on their heal."

:golfclap: Cute, game. Real cute.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Ghostpilot posted:

Sometimes the game is a dick in clever ways. I picked up a Demon's Cauldron, which is an Occultist-Specific item that grants +20 to Bleeds, +20 to Stuns and +5% crit while coming with a penalty of -12% to Resist Affliction.

:raise:: "Hey, that's not so bad. What Bleeds do Occultists have access to? Hmm... :what: Oh: the bleed on their heal."

:golfclap: Cute, game. Real cute.

There's only One True Trinket for Occultists and I won't hear otherwise :colbert:

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
From my experience the higher you go the more resistant the monsters become to status affects and unless you get some really good trinket rolls you're going to rely on burst damaging most enemies. If the enemies you're fighting hit like a freight train throwing bleed or blight ultimately won't do poo poo. Getting your Vestals up to max rank so they can have that sweet sweet 6-7 heal and 3-3 group heal is key. With good trinket/skill use you can keep the front 2 fighters near a 25+ dodge/20+ protection rate. Stacking speed helps guarantee your guys go first which is huge. Combine that with guaranteed high heals you'll most likely never die. This game is about understanding range and how to best manipulate it to fit your goals. Your never really in control but you can do a lot to shape how things turn out. Also yes there will be times where you'll have the entire enemy team go first and roll all crits and there's nothing you can do but watch it happen. I don't know how I feel about these outcomes but the game is constant dice rolls and if we want to play fair snake eyes will happen. Also I'm just an armchair developer so feel free to ignore all of this!!!

All that aside I'm glad this is a thing. Its an attempt to put some what similar d&d concepts onto a 2d graphical playing board. It reminds me of playing the heroquest's board game and going room to room watching the DM place the set pieces.(or in this case stack of books, bone piles, locked chests, trapped floors.. etc..) Its worth the support if nothing else to show that unique game concepts are a welcome addition to the common rehashes of the triple A multi-million dollar game world.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Lotish posted:

Camp. Buffs. Never miss again.
It was a short dungeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Jackard posted:

It was a short dungeon