Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I am bewildered by some of the characterization in this episode.

Last episode, Felicity said stuff that seemed to boil down to "I quit", but she's still in the arrow-cave without any complaint. In the last episode, Roy seemed to be the guy rooting for Merlyn to join Team Arrow, now he's the one most against that idea. Thea was okay with Merlyn last episode and was okay with Oliver keeping his Arrow secret from her, but now she hates Merlyn after learning Ollie was the Arrow.

I just don't really understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

God drat Willa Holland put some pants on that's totally distracting. YESSSSSSSSS SLADE

I was never quite sold on Cynthia Addai-Robinson on Spartacus but I really like her as Waller.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 12, 2015

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
Good question, Sara. Why did you have to die?

loving show.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

twistedmentat posted:

Thea needs a cool codename. What's the name of the girl archer on Young Justice?

Also, Since leaving the Island, I can't give a poo poo about the flashbacks.

Artemis. This show needs Sportsmaster, BTW.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Thea was okay with Merlyn last episode and was okay with Oliver keeping his Arrow secret from her, but now she hates Merlyn after learning Ollie was the Arrow.

That was the best part. Turning on Merlyn instantly when she figured out he was trying to drive a wedge between her and her brother. Well that and accepting Oliver for being the Arrow right away.

I hope that Laurel getting dosed with a vertigo dart is the new Roy's needless flipping(and then also being hit with a dart that one time). It just keeps happening :newlol:

also lmao Det Lance calling Sin the one with the boy hair.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This was a good episode because it resolved a lot of the less enjoyable things of some of the prior episodes.

Thea being incredibly anti-Malcolm was incredibly offputting after her whole "Daddy, you are a good person!" spiel last week...but her being anti-Malcolm is waaaaaay more believable and less terrible so I'm actually glad they did a 180 on that.

Most unintentionally funny moment was when Oliver was having that family spat with his team while Laurel was just lying comatose and half-dead on their metal slab. Hey guys, someone should probably be monitoring her pulse right now or...okay sure, or not, whatever.

Speaking of, did something happen to Caity Lotz's eyebrows? They looked...more. Than usual.

I don't know if it was intentional or not but Diggle was being backlit by a whoooole lot of green during his little pep talk. :tinfoil:

And for once nothing happened in the HK flashbacks that was paralyzingly stupid. Well, I was afraid that it was gonna be paralyzingly stupid for a second when Maseo was like "Here's where me and the fam are heading to. Now don't get captured or Waller will torture it out of you! kbyenow :buddy:" but then it turned out to be a trick! Good job!...well, both of them got idiotically captured anyway, but points for effort. (Okay, so I've lowered my standards for this plot)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

Yessss. Perfect Roy villain too!

Having come down from that kickass teaser for next week, I gotta say this was a really good episode to kickstart the back half of the season. Laurel finally coming to terms that she needs to be her own person/hero instead of just fighting for Sara's sake, Oliver finally telling Thea about being The Arrow, Douchebag DJ is dead. All good stuff. And they actually managed to make the whole "Dad, I'm sorry but Sara is dead" thing really emotional and heartbreaking. Gotta admit, I actually felt really really sorry for Det. Lance as he was finding out.

One question though: Do you guys think that Merlyn somehow engineered Slade's escape from the island prison?

Regardless, full steam ahead for Operation Manu Bennett :getin:

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Thea being incredibly anti-Malcolm was incredibly offputting after her whole "Daddy, you are a good person!" spiel last week...but her being anti-Malcolm is waaaaaay more believable and less terrible so I'm actually glad they did a 180 on that.

It was way too hard a turn for way too little a reason. Thea has strongly established the thing she hates the most in the world people she cares about keeping secrets from her. She forced herself to take Olivers reveal in the best way possible, Oliver would have been surprised if he wasn't so fucken relieved. When they hugged it out Thea put on a pretty blank expression when he wasn't looking, it was not a heartfelt moment for her and she already new he was Arrow. She overlooked everything Merlin did (including kill Tommy, how is that not thrown in his face more often?) and suddenly finds an excuse to shun him at the very moment when that would gain her the most trust with Oliver. This is totally a work and she will turn on Oliver the minute Merlin thinks Ras has been defeated.

I hope I am right at least. I really just want Thea to have been willingly working with Merlin all along on all levels so that Mind Control Murderer Thea Queen can be retconned away.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So, is there any news on how ATOM is going to work? Will he be a recurring hero character or will he stay on as Ray Palmer and rarely be seen in the suit?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Scyantific posted:

One question though: Do you guys think that Merlyn somehow engineered Slade's escape from the island prison?

Regardless, full steam ahead for Operation Manu Bennett :getin:

I bet Oliver is just fully embracing teaming up with his old enemies and sets Slade free to train him. :v:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Neon Knight posted:

It was way too hard a turn for way too little a reason. Thea has strongly established the thing she hates the most in the world people she cares about keeping secrets from her. She forced herself to take Olivers reveal in the best way possible, Oliver would have been surprised if he wasn't so fucken relieved. When they hugged it out Thea put on a pretty blank expression when he wasn't looking, it was not a heartfelt moment for her and she already new he was Arrow. She overlooked everything Merlin did (including kill Tommy, how is that not thrown in his face more often?) and suddenly finds an excuse to shun him at the very moment when that would gain her the most trust with Oliver. This is totally a work and she will turn on Oliver the minute Merlin thinks Ras has been defeated.

I hope I am right at least. I really just want Thea to have been willingly working with Merlin all along on all levels so that Mind Control Murderer Thea Queen can be retconned away.

I'm inclined to agree here. Something just felt off about this episode, and I kept expecting someone to die, first Thea, then Roy, then Det. Lance, but everyone lived besides Hey Mr. DJ. The whole thing being a setup between Merlyn and Thea to double cross Oliver was the only non death option to pop up!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I bet Oliver is just fully embracing teaming up with his old enemies and sets Slade free to train him. :v:

Ollie's actually planning on letting Slade "accidentally" overhear that he's madly in love with Ras. Let his problems solve themselves

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Goddamn that's the Arrow pace we've been missing.

I miss Caity Lotz :( Det Lance totally knew it was Laurel, he's a trained cop Laurel's lying was the lamest attempt. It was really touching when he found out.

Thea is gonna totally be on Malcolm's side and is gonna ice Felicity to poo poo on Ollie after Ra's is dead :smith:

Roy putting on his big boy pants was good to see.

The very beginning with the unessesary parkour made me nostalgic for Season 1 :allears:

I demand a Merlyn vs Slade fight.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 12, 2015

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
I can get why the revelation today soured Thea of Merlyn.

Before she found out Malcolm had no reason to be interested in her for any reason except because she is his daughter. She thought he'd been truthful with her. Now she find out he is her brother's arch enemy and had driving a wedge between the two of them based on what he knew was a lie, that Ollie couldn't be relied on and Malcolm was the only one that could protect and teach her. Now he has another reason to have take her in and trained her and told her all these things, as a way to get at Ollie.

The one relationship where she was sure where she stood suddenly seems like it could be a ploy. That poisons the well and leaves her unable to look past the misdeeds she'd been willing to put aside when she thought his motives were parental. Meanwhile the brother she'd already forgiven for keeping secrets reveals his final one, of his own volition, a secret that reveals him to be far better man than she'd given him credit for. It makes sense her push away from Malcolm would include an acceptance of Ollie.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I just want to say that when Roy saw Thea heading off with DJsassin my reaction was "NOW PLAY RADIOACTIVE."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

pentyne posted:

So, is there any news on how ATOM is going to work? Will he be a recurring hero character or will he stay on as Ray Palmer and rarely be seen in the suit?

The showrunners are apparently trying to get Ray his own show. Also, spoiler: Ray is showing up in at least one Flash episode using his ATOM suit. We know this from a pic from the Flash set.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jscolon2.0 posted:

Gannicus Stonebridge as Sportsmaster! :getin:

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 12, 2015

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

"I want you to train me."
"Okay. Three minute head start, if I catch you I kill you. Learn quick."

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
This episode, while still being goofy in places, was so much better than the everything else this season. Roy calling Oliver on his "protectiveness" while still giving the viewers context for why he is so protective was great. Felicity challenging Ollie was great. Thea's reaction to the truth was great, though the Merlyn reaction took me some justification and thinking to accept.

Laurel going from accepting that her addiction to vigilantism was self destructive (and seemingly ready to give it up) to being ready to be her own version of vigilante was a bit shaky, but still good enough, especially since they seem finally ready move on with Laurel.

Really looking forward to seeing Laurel and Thea interact with more characters in new situations. I think one of the reasons the season has felt claustrophobic is most of the characters have been isolated, in the same old locations, having very similar conversations with the same people.

Taking the person you most care about on a desert island with an angry Manu Bennet still doesn't seem like a good idea though.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Laurel needs a pimpin pair of Tonfa batons, not that beat cop special.

She's lacking vigilante flair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJaP8ZvEET8

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's a ton of cool, specialized martial techniques you can pull off with those lawsuit magnets. It...sigh...makes sense that Laurel hasn't learned them yet, but I hope to see her use them...sigh...someday.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still hating the lack of eye make up, it really throws out her whole thing

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

VBane posted:

I can get why the revelation today soured Thea of Merlyn.

Before she found out Malcolm had no reason to be interested in her for any reason except because she is his daughter. She thought he'd been truthful with her. Now she find out he is her brother's arch enemy and had driving a wedge between the two of them based on what he knew was a lie, that Ollie couldn't be relied on and Malcolm was the only one that could protect and teach her. Now he has another reason to have take her in and trained her and told her all these things, as a way to get at Ollie.

The one relationship where she was sure where she stood suddenly seems like it could be a ploy. That poisons the well and leaves her unable to look past the misdeeds she'd been willing to put aside when she thought his motives were parental. Meanwhile the brother she'd already forgiven for keeping secrets reveals his final one, of his own volition, a secret that reveals him to be far better man than she'd given him credit for. It makes sense her push away from Malcolm would include an acceptance of Ollie.

Yeah. He had been lieing to and manipulating her the entire time, and she suddenly realized that. She thought he was the only person she could rely on. Merlyn emphasized how untrustworthy and unreliable Olly to her despite knowing the truth, as a way of driving them apart, and getting her progressively more under his influence. Before the revaluation, she had thought he had reformed and was legitimately remorseful for what he had done. Afterwards, she realized he has never stopped manipulating and plotting, and even if she doesn't know to what ends, she realizes he is the exact same person who planned and committed mass murder.

Neon Knight posted:

When they hugged it out Thea put on a pretty blank expression when he wasn't looking, it was not a heartfelt moment for her and she already new he was Arrow.

I just rewatched that scene. I didn't catch a black expression and she is crying when she hugs him. I'm pretty positive it's genuine.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Rocksicles posted:

Still hating the lack of eye make up, it really throws out her whole thing

This is the opposite of the truth. The eye black looked silly on Sara, and Laurel looks way better without it than she would have otherwise. It kind of reminds me of Black Cat's mask from Marvel. I dig it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
This was a great episode and I'm glad they resolved all those subplots so quickly, but I wish they had done some of these earlier instead of basically wasting the front half of the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Crunk Abortion posted:

This is the opposite of the truth. The eye black looked silly on Sara, and Laurel looks way better without it than she would have otherwise. It kind of reminds me of Black Cat's mask from Marvel. I dig it.

I just thought it was goofy that during Laurel's visions Sara was giving her poo poo for wearing "her mask" when they are obviously not the same. I know what they were going for but they probably could have used a better choice of words.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Does Thea know at this point that Merlin put her up (via hypnosis or some such) to killing Sarah, or is this another thing to drop on her later?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AbstractNapper posted:

Does Thea know at this point that Merlin put her up (via hypnosis or some such) to killing Sarah, or is this another thing to drop on her later?

Another thing to drop later.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I didn't mind Thea turning on Merlyn as quickly as she did. With Malcolm being one of the cities biggest villains, and Oliver being the Arrow, it would follow that Malcolm would have tried to kill Thea's brother at some point over the last two years - and that is a fairly valid reason to do a 180 on someone.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

TyrantWD posted:

I didn't mind Thea turning on Merlyn as quickly as she did. With Malcolm being one of the cities biggest villains, and Oliver being the Arrow, it would follow that Malcolm would have tried to kill Thea's brother at some point over the last two years - and that is a fairly valid reason to do a 180 on someone.

He also actually did kill her other brother but I guess she knew that already?

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Merlyn already tried to kill Oliver before he was even The Arrow. Remember that boat that blew up and stranded him on some desert island while killing her first dad? I guess that knowledge didn't really come out during the Undertaking public reveal, but seems like something that Oliver should probably tell Thea.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

I dont know posted:

I just rewatched that scene. I didn't catch a black expression and she is crying when she hugs him. I'm pretty positive it's genuine.

I did notice that Ollie had a somewhat confused expression while she hugged him, but that may have just been Amell.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Crunk Abortion posted:

I think the lack of black makeup sort of shows how Lauren doesn't really know what she's doing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She can probably suit up in half the time.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

You know what always occurs to me about this Count Vertigo? He's such a drat good shot with those syringes of his, if he just went for something more lethal he'd be a lot more successful. Poison syringes, knives, bombs, whatever. I can respect him for sticking to his gimmick though. He's a good comic book villain in that respect.

I like that past Ollie is in Starling and present Ollie is on the island. Nice little switchup there.

Also Slade hopefully back in this, Grodd in Flash hopefully some time soon, these shows are spoiling us now.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

McDragon posted:

You know what always occurs to me about this Count Vertigo? He's such a drat good shot with those syringes of his, if he just went for something more lethal he'd be a lot more successful. Poison syringes, knives, bombs, whatever. I can respect him for sticking to his gimmick though. He's a good comic book villain in that respect.

Yes! Both times he started a fight with Laurel, I kept thinking "what a great throw! If it had just been a knife instead of a needle, you'd be home free already and the thread would finally stop complaining about how terrible Laurel is." But then he wouldn't get to fight a superhero all drugged out and tripping, and really, that's why Vertigo gets out of bed in the mornings.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

e X posted:

Sarah smiling warmly over her sister savagely beating someone looked a bit weird.

Need a gif of Laurel beating the poo poo out of Count Vertigo with Sarah smiling warmly.

Or Laurel failing to land on the van and Sarah smiling.

Or Laurel getting vertigo darted twice and Sarah smiling.

edit: vvv Yeeeess

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 12, 2015

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

*Sarah smiles warmly*

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone needs to do the Slade "Oliver Queen is the Arrow" walk-off with Sara smiling too.

Just Sara smiling at everything. Throw her own death in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Good episode as far as resolving several hanging plotlines, but god drat all of those emotional scenes really underscored just how terrible most of the actors (including Amell) on this show are. Laurel, Lance, and even Diggle have some chops, but holy hell does everyone else make me cringe when they try to pull off anything besides no expression or jaw-bunching sternness. Can't wait for the return of Manu.

• Locked thread