Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Princeton Mom is the best comedy book of last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

haveblue posted:

Oh, Princeton Mom :allears:

(Seriously, if you've never heard of this woman before, google that and strap in)

OH, is this Princeton Mom? I didn't make the connection!

Yeah, she's a real piece of work. Nobody should listen to her, ever. I really hope this segment does to her what Aasif's segment famously did to that state GOP leader.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 12, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"I found a tear in my eye" is the most English way to say 'I was very emotional'.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I love Colin Firth, I don't care if that's a "very early 2000's" thing to say. He was so good in "Tinker Tailor."

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
All this Britishness is making me wonder what Eddie Izzard is up to. Can we have two British accented media crit shows?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Von Sloneker posted:

All this Britishness is making me wonder what Eddie Izzard is up to. Can we have two British accented media crit shows?

Have I got the podcast sketch for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuC9cmiRfP0

e: Oh good, an all-panel show. These are good.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 12, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
All panel answering questions is a solid premise.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oh terrific - SE Cupp is on. I'm five minutes behind, but I think I might be skipping this one.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nevermind S.E. Cupp is here, this is loving terrible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
S.E. Cupp is literally retarded

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm done with this stupid loving show giving stupid loving people and their stupid loving opinions a place to make more people even dumber than they already are about vaccines. Jesus christ how did we go from Colbert to this.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
What the gently caress. This is the second time The Nightly Show has had ridiculously misinformed or naive anti-vax bullshit. I've had to turn it off in a rage both times.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

All panel answering questions is a solid premise.

The most rational person at on this panel is whoever is selecting the viewer tweets. TWITTER is the voice of reason on this show.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Anthony "I don't understand how a vaccine works" Anderson.

Literally said the words "I don't get how injecting myself with something prevents me from getting that thing". At least he isn't talking about mercury and autism??

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Anthony Anderson: "What I don't like is injecting myself with the virus... to protect myself from the virus."

Well that's because you just don't loving understand the DECADES of science behind innoculation and vaccination. GOD DAMNIT why didn't anyone point that out? Is it that hard? It would have taken 30 seconds? They just let his "concern" stand.

I actually enjoy the humor of Nightly Show but this poo poo is really getting infuriating. Don't try and be an "informative" comedy show if you're going to constantly fail on the "informative" part.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The show is just toothless, honestly.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
SE Cupp has bad opinions but she's dreamy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toona the Cat posted:

SE Cupp has bad opinions but she's dreamy.

Literally why she's currently employed

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah, I'm going to have to take an indefinite break from this show unless they start getting better guests, because this is just unacceptable.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
I agree that a magazine doesn't have to be some bastion of societal mores, but when they put themselves forward as apparently being "better" because hey, here's our "plus size model" and then they put a tiny size 4 lady on the cover, they're opening themselves up for valid criticism.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The show might be excusable if anyone on the panels were able to show some teeth when it comes to the misinformed / ignorant retardo opinions, OR if Larry showed any spark of personality beyond "being a guy sitting at a desk reading jokes from a teleprompter" but this show does neither and it just leaves me wondering why I watched it when it's over. Even the intro is so lame and generic, it really puts forth that what you're about to watch is merely A Thing That Exists, And Nothing More.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lets be honest: matt besser should be the new host of the daily show.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Giving antivax people rope to hang themselves might have sounded funny when they were first planning the show but now that they've caused a major health crisis it's really not and if you're going to bring up the topic and not try to counter that it's a waste.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Judge Clayjar posted:

oh my god

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"No, I don't want to be the host of the Daily Show---" (tea'd)

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

I feel like they either need to put full, unedited shows online, or maybe cut the panel down a bit. 4 people is maybe a bit much for a half hour, each person gets to say 1 thing the whole topic and that's it. Maybe do like a Crossfire type thing instead of a full panel like that.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Basically I won't be happy until Larry Wilmore is reduced to being another once-in-a-blue-moon correspondent for the new heir to the Daily Show, Jessica Williams :allears:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Judge Clayjar posted:

I see your Besser and raise you a Hot Saucerman.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Majorian posted:

Fine, but if he leaves, then he's have to leave Comedy Bang Bang, and who would host that? Paul F. Tompkins?

Actually, that's the best idea let's do that.

Second Option: The Daily Show with Jeff Dunham

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Would Anderson Cooper consider taking over the Daily Show?

Would any of us want Anderson Cooper to consider taking over the Daily Show?

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

The Daily Show with Daniel Tosh

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Majorian posted:

hes the wrong kind of comedian.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Has anyone thrown out Amy Poehler's name yet for host?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dr Tran posted:

Has anyone thrown out Amy Poehler's name yet for host?

Yes, multiple times. Of the "shoot for the sky" names, she's probably the most realistic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

berserker posted:

Anthony Anderson: "What I don't like is injecting myself with the virus... to protect myself from the virus."

I had to turn it off at this line. It's a concept so loving simple and logical that children can grasp it when taught in elementary school. It's one of the few science things that doesn't even need to be simplified to a great extent to explain to people without a science background. And yet people still pretend like it's some great mystery of how it works.

This show sucks if it's just gonna be idiots saying stupid things.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Je suis fatigue posted:

The Daily Show with Daniel Tosh

This is the only suggestion I've seen worse than Norm McDonald ( I realize you're probably just joshin' but man alive do I hate me some Tosh).

My suggestion James Adomian....as Jesse Ventura.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Regy Rusty posted:

I had to turn it off at this line. It's a concept so loving simple and logical that children can grasp it when taught in elementary school. It's one of the few science things that doesn't even need to be simplified to a great extent to explain to people without a science background. And yet people still pretend like it's some great mystery of how it works.

This show sucks if it's just gonna be idiots saying stupid things.
I turned it off right at the start when their producer said they had on the anti-vaxxer cuz like, ya gotta tell both sides of every story... Yeah, let's have some flat-earthers and moon-landing-hoax believers on, too.

How is this even a show? It's just "people who don't really know anything about the topic at hand talking at a table." I think everyone could get that from their office lunch room already.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Yeah, this episode of Nightly was probably the second most frustrating episode yet. I'll keep giving the show a shot to find its legs. (Maybe it's TDS goodwill.)

When it's just one guest who's a hack, there's a chance Stewart or Colbert would interrogate their position. When someone's wrong on a comedy-themed panel, people just keep defusing any potential argument with a joke.

It's not too late to retool the show. Think about it, Larry. Try to get one of America's two favorite science communicators on more often for science-based issues. Or rethink the panel entirely.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think the closest Jon had to having on an Anti-Vacciner was when he showed that clip of Michelle Bachman being an idiot (specific, I know), and that's probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jessica Williams is the host of The Daily Show in Hot Tub Time Machine 2.

:allears:

• Locked thread