Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Skinner's the tough dad who's a hardass because he knows that's what you need.

Seeing that dad cry is scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just watched the one where Chinese immigrants gamble for their internal organs, and it stars a young DB Wong, which I remembered from when it aired--and a ridiculously young Lucy Liu, which I had never realized. She must be like 20 in it.

In all the talk of now-famous actors doing day-player parts on the X-Files, nobody ever mentions her along with Ryan Reynolds and Giovanni Ribisi and everyone.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

I just watched the one where Chinese immigrants gamble for their internal organs, and it stars a young DB Wong, which I remembered from when it aired--and a ridiculously young Lucy Liu, which I had never realized. She must be like 20 in it.

In all the talk of now-famous actors doing day-player parts on the X-Files, nobody ever mentions her along with Ryan Reynolds and Giovanni Ribisi and everyone.

Probably because everyone who watched the episode immediately wished they hadn't.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It is however followed by "Jose Chung's From Outer Space," which is bar-none the best episode of the series and one of the finest, most tightly plotted, finely directed, immaculately acted episodes of television ever. It is Darin Morgan's masterpiece. There's not a wasted scene, not a word out of place, and nothing left to say. It's genius. It perfectly encapsulates what the show is all about, but more than that speaks to human experience in a way that I am sure resonates with people who don't know anything about it. It's just a good story that doesn't require you to know or care anything about the X-Files to get it.

Why didn't that guy ever write for television again? That show was a nursery for this generation's best tv professionals, and the guy just drifts out of the business after putting them all to shame like it was nothing.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Jack Gladney posted:

Why didn't that guy ever write for television again? That show was a nursery for this generation's best tv professionals, and the guy just drifts out of the business after putting them all to shame like it was nothing.

He wrote two episodes for Millennium, one of which was Jose Chung writing another book.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

I read a couple of articles and the impression I got was that he just felt incredibly frustrated at the whole process of getting his scripts made.
I dunno. Something something anxiety issues.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

kingturnip posted:

I read a couple of articles and the impression I got was that he just felt incredibly frustrated at the whole process of getting his scripts made.
I dunno. Something something anxiety issues.

I guess that makes sense, and if that's the case, it's a drat shame because Jack Gladney is absolutely right. According to IMDB, he recently wrote a couple episodes for something called "Intruders". Anybody watch this show? Here's the description:

"A TV series centered around a secret society devoted to chasing immortality by seeking refuge in the bodies of others."

Sounds like it could be interesting, but I had never even heard of it until now. And Robert Forster is in a couple episodes! I might need to check this out.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just to pimp the podcast once again, next week Darin Morgan will be on the x-files files to discuss jose chung's. As far as not writing much, in a previous interview with the x-files files Darin Morgan seemed to be really down on his own writing (or at least on how the episodes he wrote turned out) and also completely hate the "notes from the network" part of writing a tv show.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 12, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Exploder posted:

I guess that makes sense, and if that's the case, it's a drat shame because Jack Gladney is absolutely right. According to IMDB, he recently wrote a couple episodes for something called "Intruders". Anybody watch this show? Here's the description:

"A TV series centered around a secret society devoted to chasing immortality by seeking refuge in the bodies of others."

Sounds like it could be interesting, but I had never even heard of it until now. And Robert Forster is in a couple episodes! I might need to check this out.

I tried watching that but it didn't grab me. Each episode was like a 45-minute X-Files cold open.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

haveblue posted:

I tried watching that but it didn't grab me. Each episode was like a 45-minute X-Files cold open.

That sounds pretty great to me.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
Field Trip has always been my favorite episode, I remember seeing it as a rerun one late night less than a decade ago and loving the slow but steady reveal, the alternate reality with the wake. I wish it was in more "Best of" lists

Just started season 6 and it starts out STRONG. Triangle is amazing, too bad some people take it literally, if taken as a character study and the "Nazis" interpreted as Mulders feelings towards the FBI it's fantastic, you really get how he views various people around him.

The move to LA in Season 6 is not as bad as fans think imo. The Wikipage for Season 6 has a bunch of this stuff about fans being upset at the move and the end of the rainy pacific northwest era. Vancouver was comfy as all hell most of the time, sure, especially as a kid not knowing it was shot there I always liked the rainy/foggy/small-town feel of episodes. Even so in a re-watch occasionally I can very obviously see it's Vancouver. Oh god Kill Switch, great episode, but "Fairfax County".... I live here and its all suburban and no swampy pine-forests, was so distracting but they tried their best! Not that LA-doubling is any better often, NCIS often is cast in the DC area and the episodes I've seen they have a case near DC and it looks like an arid ranchland.

Either way without rambling I think SoCal has its own X-files comfiness to it. The entire US southwest has an x-files feel to it, being the birthplace of Roswell, the place where Area 51 is, all the craziness. When I think of UFO's and alien crashes I think of that area. So I don't really feel the same as some of these fan protests I read at the time of the move.

Season 5 review: Prometheus a tad overrated. Unusual Suspects was golden. All Souls underrated, the imagery and cold opening were spooky. Schizogeny is claimed to be the worst episode ever, just seemed average to me. At least the monster was a creative and risky idea, which is admirable. Kitsunegari didn't need to be made. Travelers never explained the spider monsters, xenografting with what? Alien tarantulas? The Emily arc is a bit of an omen towards the (imo) dreadful William arc season 9. Pine bluff should have been a 2 parter, was great. Detour was nightmare-inducing as a kid, average as an adult. The rest of the episodes are about what the critics thought, imo.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I might pick up and watch a few s7 episodes this week, anyone got a few good ones? I think I've seen the first couple or so. X-COPS I know.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zesty Mordant posted:

I might pick up and watch a few s7 episodes this week, anyone got a few good ones? I think I've seen the first couple or so. X-COPS I know.

Good non-mythology episodes are

Je Soulhaite (one of my overall favorites)
The Amazing Maleeni
Theef
Brand X
Holywood AD

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I really like The Goldberg Variation from season 7, but there seems to be a lot of dissension with that episode. It's more of a fun, lighthearted episode with a little bit of dark humor thrown in for good measure. Some people love it, some people hate it.

Basket of Kittens posted:

Field Trip has always been my favorite episode, I remember seeing it as a rerun one late night less than a decade ago and loving the slow but steady reveal, the alternate reality with the wake. I wish it was in more "Best of" lists

Just started season 6 and it starts out STRONG. Triangle is amazing, too bad some people take it literally, if taken as a character study and the "Nazis" interpreted as Mulders feelings towards the FBI it's fantastic, you really get how he views various people around him.

The move to LA in Season 6 is not as bad as fans think imo. The Wikipage for Season 6 has a bunch of this stuff about fans being upset at the move and the end of the rainy pacific northwest era. Vancouver was comfy as all hell most of the time, sure, especially as a kid not knowing it was shot there I always liked the rainy/foggy/small-town feel of episodes. Even so in a re-watch occasionally I can very obviously see it's Vancouver. Oh god Kill Switch, great episode, but "Fairfax County".... I live here and its all suburban and no swampy pine-forests, was so distracting but they tried their best! Not that LA-doubling is any better often, NCIS often is cast in the DC area and the episodes I've seen they have a case near DC and it looks like an arid ranchland.

Field Trip has been mentioned a few times as being one of the more underrated episodes. I don't think you'll get much disagreement there. And the only geographic gripe I ever had with the X-Files was with this lovely map they had of Northern California in "Sein Und Zeit". It bothered me as a kid, because I live in Sacramento, but I just looked at it now and it's not as bad as I remember, but still pretty bad. The foothills are way too close to Sac, and it has "highway 74" where highway 49 should be. Immersion broken.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

That sounds pretty great to me.

I mean that there was too much time spent on spooky lingering establishing shots and too many people acting creepy and mysterious for too little reason.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A little closer to bringing everything back! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBdy9SzJoAo

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/d...paign=thexfiles

quote:

David Duchovny on 'The X-Files' revival: 'It's looking very good'

David Duchovny has given an update on the planned revival of The X-Files.

The cult sci-fi show originally aired on US network Fox for nine seasons between 1993 and 2002 and also spawned a pair of spin-off films, released in 1998 and 2008. Fox revealed last month (January) that it has had "conversations" about reviving the much-loved series. The potential new season would feature the show's iconic lead duo, Duchovny's Fox Mulder and Gillian Anderson's Dana Scully, as well as input from The X-Files' creator Chris Carter.

During an appearance on US daytime show The Talk yesterday (February 17), Duchovny was asked if the revival is definitely happening. "It looks good," he replied. "It looks very good. I can't say for sure, but it looks better than it did two weeks ago."

Duchovny had previously confirmed that he is keen to return to The X-Files, but for a "limited" run of episodes as opposed to a full season.

Meanwhile, during an interview last month (January) Anderson said she would be "loving overjoyed" if Fox brought back The X-Files, and urged fans to tweet at the network to show their support for the revival. Anderson was recently seen in series two of BBC2's The Fall and also has a key supporting role on NBC's Hannibal, while Duchovny will soon be seen starring in upcoming US crime drama series Aquarius.

Fox has also revealed that another of its most popular shows, 24, could be returning without star Kiefer Sutherland.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Old Boot posted:

He wrote two episodes for Millennium, one of which was Jose Chung writing another book.

Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense is one of the best episodes of any show I've watched, and it's still relevant today due to Scientology still being a thing.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I just watched "The Amazing Maleeni" and its is a total by the numbers X-Files episode that is simply really entertaining. It could be an episode of anything, CSI, whatever though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Zesty Mordant posted:

I just watched "The Amazing Maleeni" and its is a total by the numbers X-Files episode that is simply really entertaining. It could be an episode of anything, CSI, whatever though.

Considering where CSI takes place I'd be amazed if they haven't done at least one story like The Amazing Maleeni.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Good non-mythology episodes are

Je Soulhaite (one of my overall favorites)
The Amazing Maleeni
Theef
Brand X
Holywood AD

'Hungry' ought to be in your list.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I dont know how im going to do it but just finished the insect episode of S9 and this is a loving slog, loving TERRIBLE!

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Vintersorg posted:

I dont know how im going to do it but just finished the insect episode of S9 and this is a loving slog, loving TERRIBLE!
I just finished season 9. There's only one good episode left in the run for you and that episode is Sunshine Days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Improbable is good.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
I've been a big fan of this show for years, but only ever watched the odd episode or two in a row here and there, and those tended to be from the early to middle seasons. It's only very recently that I've started properly watching things in order, from the pilot, and there are a few things that really stuck out to me as I watched the first few episodes. First was the abundance of synth music, which I don't remember appearing at all later in the show. It manages to be very atmospheric, which I guess is the intention, but it does make the episodes feel very much of their time. Secondly, Scully's character seems a little more playful and a little less reserved than she is later on. Neither of these things is bothersome, I'm more interested in seeing how long they'll last before things start to change.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are you sure about that? I think that in the first two seasons or so she's basically loyal to Mulder, but quite reserved. They really tried to push her as a sort of clinical character, even visually. Both of them became way more relaxed around each other as the series progressed, and started having way more "moments".

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Octy posted:

'Hungry' ought to be in your list.
Yep. Any Vince Gilligan episode shouldn't be missed.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Read an article lately observing that Gilligan's said he'd be keen to be involved in a revival of the show if it got off the ground. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I didn't make a note of the website's address. :shobon:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Read an article lately observing that Gilligan's said he'd be keen to be involved in a revival of the show if it got off the ground. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I didn't make a note of the website's address. :shobon:

That popped up in my facebook newsfeed a couple days ago, but I also didn't take note of the website's address.

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.

steinrokkan posted:

Are you sure about that? I think that in the first two seasons or so she's basically loyal to Mulder, but quite reserved. They really tried to push her as a sort of clinical character, even visually. Both of them became way more relaxed around each other as the series progressed, and started having way more "moments".

After getting more than a few episodes in I think you're right, it was more a couple of moments in the first two episodes that gave me that impression. I'll put it more down to the actress finding her feet in the role than anything else. Also, I'm running into less synth music as I'm going on - very disappointing.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
All I really remember from the last two seasons is the terrible episode episode with the butt genie and then the episode where Burt Reynolds is god.

Still slogged through them because I really like Robert Patrick.

Sair
May 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Even from the start, she doesn't act like he's full of poo poo, like everyone else. She doesn't just dismiss him out of hand, she asks for proof. And then sees time traveling aliens or whatever.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Via the AV Club, I found this: an interview he did with the fan site X-Files Lexicon. Here's the relevant quote, but the whole interview is well worth reading because it's very interesting.

quote:

Matt: Now there’s a lot of media attention about Fox television in discussions to do an X-Files revival / mini-series with David, Gillian, and Mr. Carter; if asked, would you want to be involved?

Vince: I would love to be involved. I don’t know with my current schedule, if I necessarily could be involved, but I got to tell you. I hope that is the case, and it works out that there more X-Files in the offing because even if I weren’t involved, I can tell you as a fan, I’d be right there with my Dr. Pepper and my big bowl of popcorn, and the lights dimmed down low. I think The X-Files is going to live forever. I think it’s a wonderful show, I am more proud that I can even express that I was a part of it, that I was a fan before I was ever a part of it, and I knew it was something special before I was ever involved in it. The thought that there could be more episodes of The X-Files is very exciting to me indeed. Absolutely if I knew I could do it, I would love to be a part of it, but even if I am not, you can know for a fact that I’ll be watching every episode and rooting them on, and being very much the fan boy that I started, in regards to The X-Files.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Veeta posted:

After getting more than a few episodes in I think you're right, it was more a couple of moments in the first two episodes that gave me that impression. I'll put it more down to the actress finding her feet in the role than anything else. Also, I'm running into less synth music as I'm going on - very disappointing.

I hope you like the oboe, my friend.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So in the one where Skinner gets visited by that sex ghost, was the ghost supposed to be some kind of psychic projection from his wife, or was there just a ghost that periodically saves Skinner from death just because?

And if it was his wife, is his wife just psychic or is she some eternal magical entity who can do anything? Because if she could control it at all, maybe magically spinning the smoking man's head around in his sleep would have been useful.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Gillian Anderson was on Top Gear on Sunday, and she was absolutely stunning. I didn't know that she speaks with a British accent in real life!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

evobatman posted:

I didn't know that she speaks with a British accent in real life!

She actually shifts her accent depending on where she is.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

evobatman posted:

Gillian Anderson was on Top Gear on Sunday, and she was absolutely stunning. I didn't know that she speaks with a British accent in real life!

I wish she would do a comedy so I could listen to her laugh and swear for two hours, in either accent. :allears:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Gravitee posted:

I wish she would do a comedy so I could listen to her laugh and swear for two hours, in either accent. :allears:

According to IMDB, she's got you covered.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
X-files might be off Netflix on April 1st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

bobkatt013 posted:

X-files might be off Netflix on April 1st.

Oh son of a bitch, I only recently started watching the series from the top and I'm only a couple episodes away from the end of season 2 so far. :doom:

• Locked thread