Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I've been thinking about doing the pharmacy tech thing. Short term while I try to find a direction - I can get a grant from the state to cover 100% of the tuition for the 1-2 month class. It requires the usual FAFSA, and I still owe that school a bit of cash from the last semester I attended (which I intend to pay this month).

Except I just got the FAFSA results back. They want proof that I graduated high school (and want it on a specific form that I can't find on dcccd.edu). They also want a "Statement of Identity and Educational Purposes Form", again, can't find it on their website. This is the same college I first went to, 18 years ago. I completed 32 hours there and transferred to a university with a 3.3 GPA. They had my high school transcripts ages ago, they wouldn't have admitted me into the college in the first place without proof of either graduation or proof of a GED. :psyduck: I just checked my student records, they still have my TSI (Texas Success Initiative) scores showing that I was reading, writing, and handling math at a college level before I ever took a single class, and that they received my transcripts in 1997.

Then there's going back to IT. There's one place that advertises a lot (mycomputercareer.edu) - I visited their Irving campus today (I had filled out my FAFSA for both 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 a few days ago, and listed them as one possible school). It's... tempting to go into admin + security. I qualify for $3400 in Pell grants, plus I'm in good standing on my existing student loans, so I can take out $9500 in government loans. I'd have to do a (relatively small) private student loan (stepdad has agreed to cosign). I'd be leaving with a decent amount of certifications...

Googling the school turns up a lot of negative reviews, but Ripoffreport.com (which is usually nothing but negative) has mostly positive things to say about them :stonk: - something I've never seen on that site.

I have a friend who went to this particular school, and knew absolutely nothing about anything electronic (he can barely handle changing radio stations on his car radio), working for Samsung now (granted, in helldesk, but making something like $17/hr). I'm aiming for network admin + server admin + a side of security.

I'm leaning heavily toward the I.T. bit. Downside is the evening classes last 11 months (daytime classes last 7 months, but gently caress driving on 635 in the morning, and I'd miss out on some lucrative opening shifts at work). Supposedly I can apply any computer classes I've taken at the college level toward this, but the only computer class I've ever taken has been an office applications class (for Office 2007).

Tuition is $19.5k. :stonk:

It's tempting..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Is that a for profit college? YMMV but in my limited experience IT isn't as much about the degree but more about what you know. The degree, I think, helps get you passed HR.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just drove home behind a Reatta. Holy poo poo I forgot those existed.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My mother is a pharmacy tech. Don't do it.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I mean, I know it couldn't have really ended any other possible way, but now I'm totally bummed out after just finishing Spartacus :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

oh boy I am really looking forward to my first statistics test tomorrow.

Even better, I have a rookie professor and she's an adjunct whose day job is at a hospital, so she's inexperienced at teaching and she's just completely sapped by the time class starts.

This is gonna be one of those classes that I just "survive", as opposed to "pass".

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I hate sums/series, they were the hardest part about calc2. I see those Σ signs and just :smith:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I actually liked that class, although we spent a lot of time doing stuff in excel and the tests weren't very hard.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud

Fucknag posted:

Even better, I have a rookie professor and she's an adjunct whose day job is at a hospital, so she's inexperienced at teaching and she's just completely sapped by the time class starts.

This is gonna be one of those classes that I just "survive", as opposed to "pass".

I had a professor like this in community college. The class started out with 28 people, all but two dropped it before the semester was out.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Man gently caress community college. Lets get drunk and eat chicken fingers.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Im back, and for that I am sorry

Holy poo poo holy poo poo holy poo poo I just won the powerball!

By not playing. Duh.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

After my first week of statistics at my local community college, I decided my time was better spent driving out to the beach and watching chicks run around in bikinis while I read books in the bed of my truck.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Preoptopus posted:

There are two kinds of people that go to community college. The ones there to learn, and the ones there to sell dope.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Shitwinds..the winds of poo poo..

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had great fun making grown adults look like fools in my intro digital logic, microprocessors, chemistry, and physics classes in community college.

Oh, and gently caress all that math, holy poo poo I was horrible at sequences and series and have barely looked at it since I passed that test. It has some practical applications in fast fourier transforms, FIR and IIR filters, and similar stuff but fortunately it doesn't matter much if you understand how those work once you can implement one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

So I've been thinking about doing the pharmacy tech thing. Short term while I try to find a direction - I can get a grant from the state to cover 100% of the tuition for the 1-2 month class. It requires the usual FAFSA, and I still owe that school a bit of cash from the last semester I attended (which I intend to pay this month).

Except I just got the FAFSA results back. They want proof that I graduated high school (and want it on a specific form that I can't find on dcccd.edu). They also want a "Statement of Identity and Educational Purposes Form", again, can't find it on their website. This is the same college I first went to, 18 years ago. I completed 32 hours there and transferred to a university with a 3.3 GPA. They had my high school transcripts ages ago, they wouldn't have admitted me into the college in the first place without proof of either graduation or proof of a GED. :psyduck: I just checked my student records, they still have my TSI (Texas Success Initiative) scores showing that I was reading, writing, and handling math at a college level before I ever took a single class, and that they received my transcripts in 1997.

Then there's going back to IT. There's one place that advertises a lot (mycomputercareer.edu) - I visited their Irving campus today (I had filled out my FAFSA for both 2014-2015 and 2015-2016 a few days ago, and listed them as one possible school). It's... tempting to go into admin + security. I qualify for $3400 in Pell grants, plus I'm in good standing on my existing student loans, so I can take out $9500 in government loans. I'd have to do a (relatively small) private student loan (stepdad has agreed to cosign). I'd be leaving with a decent amount of certifications...

Googling the school turns up a lot of negative reviews, but Ripoffreport.com (which is usually nothing but negative) has mostly positive things to say about them :stonk: - something I've never seen on that site.

I have a friend who went to this particular school, and knew absolutely nothing about anything electronic (he can barely handle changing radio stations on his car radio), working for Samsung now (granted, in helldesk, but making something like $17/hr). I'm aiming for network admin + server admin + a side of security.

I'm leaning heavily toward the I.T. bit. Downside is the evening classes last 11 months (daytime classes last 7 months, but gently caress driving on 635 in the morning, and I'd miss out on some lucrative opening shifts at work). Supposedly I can apply any computer classes I've taken at the college level toward this, but the only computer class I've ever taken has been an office applications class (for Office 2007).

Tuition is $19.5k. :stonk:

It's tempting..

As someone who has 10+ years of IT experience, go with pharmacy. You'll have better pay, better job opportunities and you'll get to know your customers, which I think you'd be good at.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pharmacy tech tops out around 15, maybe 20 an hour. And frankly, I'd be entirely too tempted to underfill granny's Xanax now and then and make the missing ones disappear into my gut.

I'm great with even the most difficult of customers, but I'm sick of dealing with them. I'm ready for a challenge.

I went ahead and put in an application for a private student loan with a cosigner. It doesn't commit me to anything, but I'm honestly really leaning toward I.T. (especially since the school that offers the pharmacy courses won't even let me in without my high school transcripts.. which I gave them 17 loving years ago when I first started college, gave them copies again 10 years ago when they claimed they never got them.... and now my high school is long gone [for-profit private school that closed down about 15 years ago]; how the hell would I have accumulated nearly 60 credit hours without a GED or diploma?! :psypop: )

I knew the loan would require a cosigner (I applied initially on my own anyway); stepdad stepped up to the plate :stonk: and said he'd cosign. Not much liquid cash, but over $130k in his IRA, has monthly oil royalties that pay almost what I make a month, credit score well over $800, zero debt whatsoever (even the house is paid off), and the application is still "under review". :rolleyes: My own dad won't cosign anything (never has, never will); I was pretty shocked when my stepdad offered to, since we've had a very rocky relationship. I'm thinking the "under review" part is because I have a fraud alert on my own credit file, and it was a hard pull for both of us.

tl;dr yeah my mind is basically made up at this point, if the loan gets approved - I don't see why it won't

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 12, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Why bother with a for-profit university, though? Go to your local junior college and take their Cisco classes and get your CCNA. Maybe A+ too if that's something anyone cares about? Do you think you would learn anything really applicable at a place that just wants to grind you through and take your money?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

See above. I can't get back into the junior college, even workforce/continuing education. They lost my high school transcripts (again), and want copies before I can be re-admitted. Even as a continuing education student. My HS diploma got lost when we moved to DFW almost 20 years ago. There's another junior college a bit closer, but I hosed around there a lot in the 90s, and the only classes I need to finish up my associates are ones I've attempted before - and they won't let me repeat them more than once (which I did 15 years ago), no matter how much money I throw at them.

My high school hasn't existed in over a decade. Getting those transcripts in any form (much less sealed) isn't possible, and talking to the college today was like talking to a brick wall.

It's also not a university, just a tech school (definitely for-profit though). Supposedly I'll be leaving with 7 or 8 certs under my belt, which for me, will be worth it.

Collin College (the closest junior college) will not let me have financial aid of any form, period, and they won't let me repeat the classes I need to finish my AS (even if I pay out of pocket). They also won't let me enroll in continuing education classes unless I pay 100% up front; they don't do payment plans on them.

Dallas County Community College District is a bunch of bumblefucks and keep losing trascripts; I can't replace those transcripts at this point. .They won't let me enroll in any classes until I come up with a diploma or transcripts. Nevermind the 32 hours I've completed there, and the 3.3 GPA. I can't get financial aid for credit classes there, and can only get $1500 per calendar year in grants for continuing education (once they figure out which rear end in a top hat they shoved my high school transcripts into). I'm also out of district, so I'm looking at ~$1200-1500/semester for 12 hours if I do college credit.

University of North Texas has all of their ducks in a row, and I'm in good standing there academically; I just can't get financial aid. It's about $5000/semester to attend full time, plus commuting/parking.

My only choice for a junior college is to move to either Tarrant County or Denton County. And the junior college in Denton County is in Gainesville TX, which is 80 miles away from me. They have a small branch in Corinth, but that's still a 45 minute drive - and I'm stuck paying out of county tuition until a year after I've established residency in Denton county. I've actually been accepted/admitted there, and I can get financial aid for ONE semester (and only because of a loophole that requires they calculate attempted hours at the end of the semester).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 12, 2015

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

some texas redneck posted:

Pharmacy tech tops out around 15, maybe 20 an hour. And frankly, I'd be entirely too tempted to underfill granny's Xanax now and then and make the missing ones disappear into my gut.

I'm great with even the most difficult of customers, but I'm sick of dealing with them. I'm ready for a challenge.

I went ahead and put in an application for a private student loan with a cosigner. It doesn't commit me to anything, but I'm honestly really leaning toward I.T. (especially since the school that offers the pharmacy courses won't even let me in without my high school transcripts.. which I gave them 17 loving years ago when I first started college, gave them copies again 10 years ago when they claimed they never got them.... and now my high school is long gone [for-profit private school that closed down about 15 years ago]; how the hell would I have accumulated nearly 60 credit hours without a GED or diploma?! :psypop: )

I knew the loan would require a cosigner (I applied initially on my own anyway); stepdad stepped up to the plate :stonk: and said he'd cosign. Not much liquid cash, but over $130k in his IRA, has monthly oil royalties that pay almost what I make a month, credit score well over $800, zero debt whatsoever (even the house is paid off), and the application is still "under review". :rolleyes: My own dad won't cosign anything (never has, never will); I was pretty shocked when my stepdad offered to, since we've had a very rocky relationship. I'm thinking the "under review" part is because I have a fraud alert on my own credit file, and it was a hard pull for both of us.

tl;dr yeah my mind is basically made up at this point, if the loan gets approved - I don't see why it won't

Yeah, with your substance issues, pharmacy tech's probably a bad plan.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

STR, do you have any friends in IT? I'd just try and get the worst bitch-work position at their company, running cables or imaging systems or whatever. You already know some of the poo poo involved, and once you have a job there may be opportunities for taking courses on the company dime or just studying at home and saying "yo, let me try".

Worst case, you've now got a resume entry that says IT.

Cisco certs might also be a good option, configuring that poo poo is pretty easy but employers love certs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I do, but all but 1 have moved away - the only other is with a company that's circling the drain (JCP), and the only outside I.T. staff they hire are part time help desk grunts that get zero benefits and :10bux: an hour (that would be a decent pay cut for me - my delivery area is very small now, I average $12/hour w/wages on a slow day; $20/hour on a busy day, and for some bizarre reason I don't get taxed on a lot of those tips :iiam: ). The only prospect I've had in years in I.T. was library I.T. when I attended UNT - and I lost my financial aid the day after they extended the job offer to me. I had to be a student at UNT to keep the job. It was a $10/hour job just helping out students in the main campus library with their personal laptops, and reimaging loaner laptops whenever they acted up.

Since it seems pretty controversial (I'm kind of regretting bringing it up at this point to be honest), here's my reasoning for wanting to go through one of the certificate mills (at least, this one in particular):

#1, most importantly, I learn best in a classroom setting. I'm pretty well hosed when it comes to the two closest junior/community college districts for reasons explained above, and it'll cost me a lot more than the tuition to relocate to someplace where I can get a fresh start. Speaking of fresh starts, in Texas you can request an academic fresh start, where they academically ignore anything from over 10 years or more for GPA purposes. One of the schools I'm having issues with did grant that for me, but it doesn't affect anything related to finances or re-taking classes more than once.

#2, I know several people who've gone through this particular place, one of which who wouldn't be able to figure out why a burned out lightbulb wasn't putting out light prior (I used to work with the guy at another job), but they landed him a decent paying helldesk job with Samsung. I mentioned his name, and the recruiter laughed and said "Jim, the guy who barely knew what a lightswitch was? Really nice guy, I think we got him on with Samsung". I confirmed he was still with them.

#3, I spoke to my best friend of 20 years about it. He asked what certifications I'd be leaving with. He's been in I.T. (as high up as credit card processor I.T. security prior to having a stroke - thankfully no lasting damage, but he realized he had to cut down on stress and dropped down to network admin afterwards) his entire life; entirely self taught. He said the majority of the certs are pretty valuable, acknowledged a couple were bullshit (such as A+), and just the tests alone for several of them run at least $500 a pop. He's also dealt with people from both this school and University of Phoenix, and said both come out of the gate very knowledgeable. UoP is online-only, I don't do well at all with online classes. He also said he would have gladly paid for classes if it meant he could have gotten through some of the certs faster. Still, he's a high school dropout, with a military ELS, he's done drat good for himself. I'm leaving with a minimum of 8 certifications (okay, 7 1/4, since one of them is A+).

#4, Lifetime access to their testing center with no facility fees, for any CompTIA, Cisco, or Microsoft certification I want to take, even if they don't teach it there. Also lifetime access to their recruiting staff, lifetime help keeping my LinkedIn up to date (I'm absolutely horrible with LinkedIn), and lifetime help with keeping my resume updated (one that's technically oriented instead of this 1 page 1990s Word template I currently have). Their version of "lifetime" might be one of a cockroach or fly, but we'll see.

#5, I can take practice tests as many times as I want while enrolled, with on-site tutoring available 9am-10pm 6 days a week, before taking the real test.

There were some slight hard selling techniques for the other guy on the tour with me, but the recruiter and I were able to just basically bullshit the entire time about what certifications i'd be leaving with, what's going on with hardware technology, etc. They do guarantee at least one job offer by the time you hit your second certificate.

#6, I plan to relocate rather quickly to Denton as soon as I can afford to. Denton's not a big technology city, so having their in-house recruiters helping me out will be a big plus.

I do have a resume that says I.T., but almost all of it is helldesk, and all of the documented helldesk experience is from the late 1990s. My only recent helldesk job is Frontier, and I don't bother putting Frontier on my resume; I feel it looks bad to put a short term job on a resume unless it was a short term contract, and this was a permanent job that I left after less than 3 months. I'd rather not have to explain "I left because I was hired to do tech support, but left because I was expected to hard sell products I didn't believe in on a minimum of 5% of my calls. I don't feel tech support's job is to sell, I believe their job is to fix". The only other I.T. job I've had since the 90s was helping out the network admin on stuff that had to be done overnight. Like updating 150 PCs that hadn't been patched in nearly 2 years.. with no WSUS, and a single T1. And the only person who can actually verify I had that job died 3 weeks ago (the company is long out of business).

For me, personally, I realize it's a big expense, but the Pell grant will take a small bit of the bite out of it, and I feel like what I'm getting for what I'm spending will be worth it. So for me, personally, I think it's a reasonable value.

They do include both a laptop and Windows tablet (since it's a Windows tablet, I'd assume a Surface of some sort, so it'll probably take flying lessons the moment I'm done with the place), the laptop will be loaded up with every possible software package I'll need for classes, along with documentation for every certification I'll be getting.

Hopefully that explains why I'm really thinking of doing this. And it's still not a certain thing (it hinges heavily on the loan at this point; there's other loan options, but Sallie Mae is the preferred option due to the low 1st year repayment and graduated repayment tiers); it just seems like a sure-fire way out of this loving pizza delivery rut that I've been stuck in. And yes, I'm well aware that I bought the sales pitch hook, line, sinker, and right up to getting cut into fillets and tossed on the grill with lemon butter and cajun seasoning, but I'm pretty desperate to get out of food service. And out from under my parents house (though that won't happen until at least half of the student loans are paid off and the car is 100% paid off, plus at least 6-12 months of frugal living expenses saved up).

e: just got an email, looks like the only reason the loan wasn't approved with a cosigner was because of the identity theft

quote:

The borrower has an extended fraud alert on their credit file. Federal law requires us to verify identity through the contact method specified on the credit report. Please call us from the number designated at :what: within 30 days.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 12, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Seems kinda silly to take out loans for thousands of bucks for IT certs. At least if you complete CC/JC you get a piece of paper that may get you past HR.

If you can't handle online courses I'm not sure how you're going to pass several exams to get 8 certs.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 12, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

STR - I agree with Pham Nuwen.

I don't think that getting yourself into more debt is the best way to get into IT

Get a junior computer janitor position (not a phone Helpdesk - one where you deal with real people)

Spend atleast a complete year at it (this will look better on your CV)

Shadow the more senior guys as much a possible, volunteer for everything. Work hard (junior techs fall into 2 groups in my mind - those who think that the low pay means they don't have to work hard and are happy there and those who see it as the bottom rung on the ladder. There is space in the world for both!)

While there do some certificates. Don't expect your employer to sort it all out. Do it yourself in your free time (get them to buy the material). Nobody is going to mind you reading revision material at work Inbetween jobs either..

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I gotta say, I completely see where STR is coming from. I never went to college because I hated high school so much. I've bounced around from different jobs and industries and I've been in my current dead ender for a bit over 2 years now.

The only "careers" I've ever really felt any passion for would either require a move and extraordinary luck or a degree and a high bullshit tolerance.

Recently, my coworkers and I have been told that the higher ups are completely changing the way our program is ran and billed for and that our shifts and responsibilites and duties will change too. No change in pay or benefits, natch.

That's been the catalyst for me thinking more about things. This job is basically bullshit, but I work nights which I prefer since duh, I'm the type of person that's here, obviously I'm hosed somehow, right?

I don't like people. If I could make a decent wage sitting in a room staring at the wall for 8 hours a day I'd be all over that poo poo. I like some of my coworkers, but so long as I have my time away from work, I could care less what I do so long as it involves as little contact with people as possible.

So what do I do? I work a job that requires me to care for mentally ill people!

Anyway..that was a rambler of an e/n for no reason. Sorry, just..I dunno..I just feel like I'm supposed to feel guilty for being able to stand a job I dislike instead of wanting more, but I kinda..don't..not enough to make myself uncomfortable by initiating any sort of change.

Kudos to you STR for wanting positive change!

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 12, 2015

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tomarse posted:

junior computer janitor position

minimum 2-3 years of experience with our hardware/software and a bachelors please

e: Getting a better job/career is a great objective but picking something a bit less crowded and subsequently less competitive than the IT service industry might be a good idea.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 12, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
STR, have you gone and explained your situation to someone, face to face, at a CC or JC?
Worst comes to worst, surely just getting your GED would end up less expensive than one semester at a for profit school?

The scariest bit of for-profit schools (other than predatory lending and smoke and mirror routines) is the alarming amount of HR reps who throw away applications based solely on the fact that you went to a for-profit school and have no real world experience.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mafoose posted:

STR, have you gone and explained your situation to someone, face to face, at a CC or JC?
Worst comes to worst, surely just getting your GED would end up less expensive than one semester at a for profit school?

The scariest bit of for-profit schools (other than predatory lending and smoke and mirror routines) is the alarming amount of HR reps who throw away applications based solely on the fact that you went to a for-profit school and have no real world experience.

I actually did graduate high school though - in the top 10 of my class, at that.

And yeah, I have. I'm pretty much hosed unless I can cough up transcripts. I've been in contact with El Paso County to see if I can get records. But even if I can, I'm limited to $1500 in grants per calendar year, and it's first come, first serve. The person I spoke to yesterday stated the grant money ran out in before the end of January. So I'm looking at at least 5 years. You can't do loans on that kind of stuff with JC/CCs here.

Frankly, I probably couldn't pass a GED today. My reading and writing skills are what I'd consider above average (when I'm not rambling), but my math skills are terrible now, beyond math required for cash handling.

I do have documented real world IT experience, it's just very low end helldesk poo poo. The oldest is verifiable, the recent is not. The newest verifiable is from 1999.

I know of several companies that do hire straight from tech school - one of which I used to work for. :shrug:

Extra posted:

Seems kinda silly to take out loans for thousands of bucks for IT certs. At least if you complete CC/JC you get a piece of paper that may get you past HR.

If you can't handle online courses I'm not sure how you're going to pass several exams to get 8 certs.

That's what I keep repeating, several times on this page alone. I can't afford CC/JC on my own, and legally, I can't get any form of financial aid for either of them anymore. One school won't even admit me into any programs because they've lost my high school paperwork (from nearly 20 years ago, despite getting multiple copies of it over the years), the other won't admit me because my GPA is too low (despite the academic fresh start). I'm not ineligible for financial aid because of drug charges or anything else (never been arrested); about 7 years ago, some law was passed (that took effect in 2009 or 2010, sometime around then) that if you attempt a set percentage of hours (150%) required for a degree, even if you paid for them out of your own pocket, you can never get any form of financial aid again for a 2 or 4 year degree. Period. There's an appeal process, but as I've found, even if you follow the guidelines to the letter, you usually get denied.

There is no grandfather clause. I enrolled in a lot of classes in the 90s and early 00s, and dropped a lot of them since I was too busy doing :catdrugs:. Even though I dropped those classes long before a grade could be issued, they count as attempted hours. I never had any form of financial aid except for one semester at UNT (in Spring 2012), then got booted because I exceeded the 150% cap. You can apply for academic fresh start (which I did get at one school), but it doesn't affect financial aid eligibility at all, nor does it affect GPA for financial aid - even continuing education financial aid. There's nobody to blame but myself, but I never thought my shenanigans 18 years ago would affect what I can do in school today.

Extra posted:

minimum 2-3 years of experience with our hardware/software and a bachelors please

Yup. Add minimum 5 years experience with Windows 10, 10 years experience with Windows 7, and 20 years experience with Windows XP to that list, starting salary of $9.25/hour, part time, no benefits, no room for advancement, along with a unicorn list of requirements, and you have the common job posting.

I had an interview for campus IT services a couple of years ago, and I knew I'd already bombed it. The pay rate was downright offensive anyway ($8.50/hr), and the skill set they were looking for was quite a bit beyond entry level and my own comfort zone (you also had to be an undergrad to get the job). I finally said "okay, we both know I've bombed this, do you really expect to get someone that knows all of this that will work for this pay rate?" The guy looked a little surprised, and said "no. I'd be thrilled if I got someone who knew at least half of what I was asking - which you did - but I know you know your skillset is worth more than I'm willing to pay". We BS'd a bit, I wished him luck on his search of a unicorn.

It was an on campus job, and the posting was asking for a master's ("will settle for bachelor's") degree. For a job that only undergrads could apply for, that paid offensive wages. I did apply for a different campus IT job, and nailed it (had a job offer before I got off the bus, for $2/hr more than the job posting), but I found out the next day I'd lost my financial aid... and had to be a student to keep the job.

Extra posted:

Online exams I have no issue with (I prefer pencil/scantron, but online works fine). I just have issue with 100% online classes. I just lack the discipline to attend, and also lack a quiet place to study.

Tomarse posted:

Get a junior computer janitor position (not a phone Helpdesk - one where you deal with real people)

Even help desk jobs are asking for a 4 year degree here, for barely above poverty wages. That, or people are wanting someone who knows legacy systems who's willing to work 5-10 hours a week, with open availability and willing to be on-call, for $8/hour.

I'm glancing at Craigslist right now for tech support and systems. Even the most basic jobs want open availability (many only offer 20 hours a week), MSCE, 2 year college degree, for... $9/hour, and some even go out of their way to say they offer no benefits at all.

I've been trying to get into face to face support as a starting point for 4 years now. I can't even past a phone interview, even though I nail every question they ask. Every time I call back to ask why I never heard back, it's almost always lack of certifications or lack of recent experience.

Here's the short version, and this will be the end of the conversation. I learn best in a face to face hands-on environment. I consider the available tutoring and job placement to be helpful. I can't ever, for the rest of my life, get any form of financial aid for any kind of college credit classes in the United States, even private student loans, thanks to legislation passed by Bush just before he left office. The closest JC/CC refuses to even let me enroll because they refuse to let me repeat classes, the other wants unobtainium high school transcripts that I've given them multiple times over the years. This is the easiest way for me to get back into IT. The cost is relatively small compared to many other things in life, and I know several people who've gone through this particular school who are doing quite well for themselves.

I'm in a dead end job, I'll do drat near anything to get out of this loving field.

Case closed, not responding any further on the subject. Have a good morning.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 12, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Have you considered a trade? I feel like you've said you're fed up with talking with customers, but also want an IT job with customer interaction, or did I miss something?

I'd look at going into manufacturing if you don't want to deal with customers. Most big places will let you in at the ground floor and let you work your way up, or you can bounce around from job shop to job shop every time you get pigeonholed until you've got a decent skill set to apply at a big (cough corporate cough) shop. Or not, the biggest recreational :catdrugs: users and alcoholics I've ever met were outstanding machinists.

Another option is to look for a unionized trade and start an apprenticeship, but there's good and bad about that, as we've seen with super agro Craig here.

I started sanding parts for a small waterjet shop back in 2009, and I'm now a setup precision machinist for the biggest game in town, making good money and awesome benefits. No schooling, all on the job training.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

mafoose posted:

Have you considered a trade? I feel like you've said you're fed up with talking with customers, but also want an IT job with customer interaction, or did I miss something?

I'd look at going into manufacturing if you don't want to deal with customers. Most big places will let you in at the ground floor and let you work your way up, or you can bounce around from job shop to job shop every time you get pigeonholed until you've got a decent skill set to apply at a big (cough corporate cough) shop. Or not, the biggest recreational :catdrugs: users and alcoholics I've ever met were outstanding machinists.

Another option is to look for a unionized trade and start an apprenticeship, but there's good and bad about that, as we've seen with super agro Craig here.

I started sanding parts for a small waterjet shop back in 2009, and I'm now a setup precision machinist for the biggest game in town, making good money and awesome benefits. No schooling, all on the job training.

This is definitely an option, I went the QA route instead of machining because I was hired in to write purchase orders but as much as I complain about my job I've gotten a 50% increase in my pay since 2009. No degree, no schooling, just on the job learning (because the training wasn't really there either for a while). If you want to take courses, taking stuff on GD&T, precision measuring and machining classes will give you a leg up on going from a button pusher to being an actual machinist. Our experienced actual machinists make more than I do, hell even the button pushers make $11 or $12 an hour and overtime is pretty much always available if you want it. All you really need is the ability to follow directions and to pay attention to poo poo and you should pick up the rest over time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
But STR, have you considered a Miata?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
no he should get an e30

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

rscott posted:

no he should get an 540i

Fixed

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I sliced my finger with a razor while cutting bits off some stuff I printed on the 3D printer.

Ow, that went deep...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So my wife forgot to change her marital status on her W-4 from single to married, but I remembered and changed it to married soon after getting married. Can we still file jointly or did that gently caress everything up?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

CommieGIR posted:

I sliced my finger with a razor while cutting bits off some stuff I printed on the 3D printer.

Ow, that went deep...
Can't help with the career or college thing because i are dumb, I'm but pretty good with cutting myself.
Brother threw a boomerang at my head when I was 6, large gash above my eye that needed 5-6 stitches.
Large gash in the back of my head when I was 10 due to someone shoving me against a metal fence, that also needed about 3-4 stitches.
Box cutter into my knee when 13 that needed stitches - I was kneeling down on the ground cutting something in front of me and it slipped and went into my knee.
Sliced the side of a finger off, (along side the nail), while chopping veg with a really sharp knife. This was the worst, no way it would stop bleeding with the amount flesh gone, had to get it stitched up so tight it felt like my finger was being squashed 24/7 for 2 weeks until it all stretched out.
Polishing up and old, rusty, pretty blunt straight razor before restoration, cut right through my thumb into right into the nail by a few mm. Hurt like a bitch for weeks as well. Blade was blunt for a razor, but it's still a thin edge of metal sharper than the average kitchen knife that can do decent damage I have learnt. :v:

I cut myself too much, I always tear myself up in minor ways when working on cars too, cost of labour is always taken out in pain or blood.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 12, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Me and my brother have been working for years to get dad of this retarded UK terrorist list so that he can visit Belfast again without harassment. Just got confirmation that he has been removed. This means we can celebrate his 65th in the city he grew up. He has not been back since 83 when he was allowed to emigrate to Norway. He then married the norwegian messgirl on his ship and started reproducing.

Oh, and the crime he commited was peeing into the hatch of a english armored car during a protest/riot.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
STR you have to get those transcripts. I know the college said they lost them, but take a day and just turbo your way through the admissions office until someone does their loving job. I've had to do that at Miami-Dade and Florida International. They just don't want to work. You have to be polite but stand in someone's face until they just get off their asses and do their job.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Tusen Takk posted:

So my wife forgot to change her marital status on her W-4 from single to married, but I remembered and changed it to married soon after getting married. Can we still file jointly or did that gently caress everything up?

You can file however you want, it will just make things a little wonky with taxes until you both are sorted out.

This actually prompted me to look at mine and make some adjustements. the w4 calculator I used made me depressed for where a good portion of change is going... but at least it's a deduction! Yay mortgage interest?!??!??! I just don't know what kind of affect it will have on my take home pay though... ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Don't blow money on a for-profit college for IT poo poo, it's like going to UTI or WyoTech for diesel mechanic work, it's a loving joke. Their interest is in your money, their job placement stats are willfully inflated at best and outright lies at worst, they far overstate what they do to help grads get jobs and in general it's a losing proposition. I've never met someone who was happy with the results, TBH.

• Locked thread