Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
"Faces" for this months' Loop de Loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

"Faces" for this months' Loop de Loop

I shall clap for you at the melbourne screening on tuesday

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Haha, those are great neonnoodle!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bitmap posted:

I shall clap for you at the melbourne screening on tuesday

Yey :3: And by the way--if you don't have LazyBrush, get it, it will change your life. I can't even believe how well it works.

Now a native feature.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 3, 2015

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'm kinda tempted to hit up the screening in LA at Nerdmelt

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Animation clean-up process video in Toon Boom

Also the result gif:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

Yey :3: And by the way--if you don't have LazyBrush, get it, it will change your life. I can't even believe how well it works.
:stare:

Mr Underhill posted:

Animation clean-up process video in Toon Boom

Also the result gif:

Huh. Huh. I think you convinced me to try out toon boom. Good enough for Nick Cross, y'know? I don't know if you're soliciting feedback, but while you obviously have a killer hand for smooth, even motion(Look at those wings and the dress. Awesome.) and good poses, somewhere in the middle between the bounce in there seems to be a superfluous bounce or change in direction and it really robs the whole animation of what I would describe as "intent" and becomes just a little floaty and confusing. Unless this is for the game you're working on like the last one and it's just a bunch of motions to be separated then disregard.

Aleque
Sep 20, 2010

Toonhaze Animator
[NSFW]

HI EVERYONE, FORUMS MODERATOR SOUNDMONKEY HERE. THANKS TO THE REPORT SYSTEM I HAVE ACTUALLY VIEWED THE FOLLOWING VIDEO, AND WOULD LIKE TO WARN YOU IT CONTAINS LITTLE ANIMALS GETTING WRECKED BY AN ICE WAND OR SOMETHING, AND THEN SOME MONSTER LICKS THE TITTY OF THE ICE LADY AND PRESUMABLY CUTS HER HEAD OFF OFFSCREEN. SO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT DON'T CLICK. ALSO OP THIS IS SOME WEIRD poo poo.

Hi guys, I just finished this new flash animation about Dota2. It took me about 1½ week to finish.
Beware - it contains nudity and gore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQk4SSIReq4

Please ask, if you have any questions about some of my techniques - I can share advice regarding workflow.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 26, 2015

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

bog pixie
Feb 23, 2013

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Just to spare everyone else, it's a mid-90s-Newgrounds-quality comedy(!?)/rape/snuff flash animation :barf:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Aleque posted:

[NSFW]

Hi guys, I just finished this new flash animation about Dota2. It took me about 1½ week to finish.

Please ask, if you have any questions about some of my techniques - I can share advice regarding workflow.

looks great man i'd recommend showing gbs, as well

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aleque posted:

[NSFW]

good stuff. i'd say you should probably cut some of the intro parts, it gets a little repetitive.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Aleque posted:

HI EVERYONE, FORUMS MODERATOR SOUNDMONKEY HERE. THANKS TO THE REPORT SYSTEM I HAVE ACTUALLY VIEWED THE FOLLOWING VIDEO, AND WOULD LIKE TO WARN YOU IT CONTAINS LITTLE ANIMALS GETTING WRECKED BY AN ICE WAND OR SOMETHING, AND THEN SOME MONSTER LICKS THE TITTY OF THE ICE LADY AND PRESUMABLY CUTS HER HEAD OFF OFFSCREEN. SO IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THAT DON'T CLICK. ALSO OP THIS IS SOME WEIRD poo poo.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Aleque posted:

Am I on some kind of watchlist now?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
In case anybody is wondering, there is no dota 2 context for the south park knockoff being molested and killed. That's just a fun bonus the creator threw in

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

bitmap posted:

:stare:

Huh. Huh. I think you convinced me to try out toon boom. Good enough for Nick Cross, y'know? I don't know if you're soliciting feedback, but while you obviously have a killer hand for smooth, even motion(Look at those wings and the dress. Awesome.) and good poses, somewhere in the middle between the bounce in there seems to be a superfluous bounce or change in direction and it really robs the whole animation of what I would describe as "intent" and becomes just a little floaty and confusing. Unless this is for the game you're working on like the last one and it's just a bunch of motions to be separated then disregard.

Greatly appreciating the feedback. My only defense is that I get all self-conscious when recording myself doing stuff and don't handle even little pressure like that very well. On the positive side of things, this will be just a quick pop in-pop out animation, hence a lot of loose ends that are a lot more visible when looking at it in a loop. I'm still very torn about what kind of animation style I like / want to go for in general, and treading that Disney/Tartakovski/Chuck Jones line ain't easy, lemme tell you that!

But yeah, Toon Boom's a charm to work with, give it a try.

I also can't recommend Cintiqs enough for animating. I'm really lucky to have had my boss invest in 22hds for all artists/designers/animators (we're a weird, separate team in a bigger operation), and while they aren't really that necesary for illustration/design, when it comes to frame by frame-ing they are priceless. Just don't go for the smallest model, like I did at home (well, it was half gifted to me). That'll just frustrate the hell out of you. Anything 13hd or plus is almost a must. There, I've revealed my shameful secret unfair advantage. I feel better now .

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

Greatly appreciating the feedback. My only defense is that I get all self-conscious when recording myself doing stuff and don't handle even little pressure like that very well. On the positive side of things, this will be just a quick pop in-pop out animation, hence a lot of loose ends that are a lot more visible when looking at it in a loop. I'm still very torn about what kind of animation style I like / want to go for in general, and treading that Disney/Tartakovski/Chuck Jones line ain't easy, lemme tell you that!

But yeah, Toon Boom's a charm to work with, give it a try.

I also can't recommend Cintiqs enough for animating. I'm really lucky to have had my boss invest in 22hds for all artists/designers/animators (we're a weird, separate team in a bigger operation), and while they aren't really that necesary for illustration/design, when it comes to frame by frame-ing they are priceless. Just don't go for the smallest model, like I did at home (well, it was half gifted to me). That'll just frustrate the hell out of you. Anything 13hd or plus is almost a must. There, I've revealed my shameful secret unfair advantage. I feel better now .

Nah man, you're making good stuff. In that specific animation you might just be trying to do too much. The more I animate the more I realise that "good animation" is picking as few creative and clear-reading poses as you can and getting in and out of them elegantly. Whenever I try and add superfluous flair I always fall on my face. It's like getting too bogged down in details before you lock out the generals in an illustration, y'know? In this animation the poses I'd have picked would be the down extreme on the pop in (which is great), the next would be the up extreme where the hand is raised to hit the harp and then the last would be the final pointing post-strum pose you've selected at the end. A simple breakdown between the first and a maybe a longer, complicated one between the second and third, with the secondary motion on the wings and dress settling from one point to another overall hitting their extremes on pleasing beats which "harmonise" with the beats on the primary motion extremes(which you've pretty much done). Does that make sense? I have a bad habit of talking poo poo.

Case in point, here is an incredibly involved and perfect example of highly ambitious yet convincing and fluid figurative animation my studio has made for our group entry into loopdeloop's theme for "faces". Please note that this is not a highly ambitious yet convincing and fluid figurative animation. Felix Colegrave moved in last week and we're more powerful than ever.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Oh man, great vid but it really left me hanging :D
I see what you mean about the poses, and yeah I'm so stuck on inbetweening it's started to outweigh the key poses stuff and that ain't ideal.

Content: an idle animation I've wanted to make for a loooong time:

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jan 27, 2015

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, the only time you want to get really really into the details is if you're doing CGI VFX animation for a creature, or like 'How to Train Your Dragon" style character animation. Then they really want every single nuance covered.

That stuff is just overkill in 2D though.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This indiegogo needs some exposure:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/malcolm-2-0

3 days left to fund it, it needs $1500 more, and then there'll be a revamped version of the Malcolm rig with much greater customization options and it'll be free to the public.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This indiegogo needs some exposure:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/malcolm-2-0

3 days left to fund it, it needs $1500 more, and then there'll be a revamped version of the Malcolm rig with much greater customization options and it'll be free to the public.

Crosspost in the main 3dCG thread?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

neonnoodle posted:

Disregard -- they baked this into TVP 11, which came out today :dance:

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

Disregard -- they baked this into TVP 11, which came out today :dance:

Hey, where did my money go? Whuh? TVP 11?! And I thought this day couldn't get any better! :dance:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

SpectacuLars posted:

Hey, where did my money go? Whuh? TVP 11?! And I thought this day couldn't get any better! :dance:

I'm bummed out that I bought LazyBrush like 3 weeks ago, but what are you gonna do. STILL! Hooray :dance:

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

I'm bummed out that I bought LazyBrush like 3 weeks ago, but what are you gonna do. STILL! Hooray :dance:

Yeah, I was literally considering buying LazyBrush just now, too. Oh well, just the excuse I needed to finally go Pro and kick my personal project into gear! So happy. :dance:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
The new features are freakin' amazing. So so many new features

OtherCubed
Nov 12, 2008

:ese::saddowns:
So I've just released a tool for AE! It got it's start over in the Motion Design thread a couple of months ago, and turned into Circles. It's now been expanded into a real, proper thing - https://www.othercubed.com/vigoro
Thought it was worth cross-posting it here - the Motion Design thread seems to be dying a slow death.

It's used to create offset animations using shape, text, images or whatever you want, and there's a whole slew of stuff to play with.

If you don't care and just want to see some animations, there's a release trailer here: https://vimeo.com/118480617

and a shorter teaser here: https://vimeo.com/115976803

Pretty excited to have it finally out in the wild, would love to hear what you guys think!

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

The new features are freakin' amazing. So so many new features

Oh my loving god I'm on holiday in south east asia for six more weeks and now I want to fly home tomorrow

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Underhill posted:

Content: an idle animation I've wanted to make for a loooong time

I really love this, especially the toes being splayed out like that. :neckbeard:

However, I want to run a tiny idea by you; it seems to me that this cat was doing his thing, then realized someone was watching him and suddenly stopped and played it cool? That's how it appears to me at least. Well, what about a side eye opening after he freezes? As it is it must be his spidey senses or something because his eyes are shut the whole time, he freezes, then stops.

fake edit: I made this to illustrate better:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Well, the background story on that:

Kitteh is a character in this adventure game we're developing. She'll always be on screen as a sidekick, and occasionally comment on stuff or help you out. This is one of those things she does after a while if she's been in one spot and hasn't been active - it won't loop, just happen every now and then.

I like the eye opening idea, but unfortunately I have to keep the frames at a minimum (video games...) so our programmer will kill me if I add more :)

Btw here's the almost final gif (some issues with the whiskers here and there)

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Oh crap some animation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jev9_BZBmhw

God that took longer than expected.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Oh crap some animation!

:eyepop:

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Oh crap some animation!

M...M...Mother of God...
First I thought it was cel shaded 3d, now I don't even know what to think anymore
other than AMAAAZIIIIIIING!!!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Crap
Nov 3, 2012

whats the point in ending it with her breasts jiggling

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Buckwheat Sings posted:

Oh crap some animation!

God drat dude, that looks awesome.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Crap posted:

whats the point in ending it with her breasts jiggling

If you mean vibrating, it's because I think I just got really tired at that point, eep. But jiggling as in jiggling, I think because she's hitting the ground so hard.

Mr Underhill posted:

M...M...Mother of God...
First I thought it was cel shaded 3d, now I don't even know what to think anymore
other than AMAAAZIIIIIIING!!!

You're actually pretty close. I'm attempting a different process of rotoscoping certain 3d elements with markers in certain areas for animating in 2d like faces and such. Basically allows the use of 3d camera work without having to think about staying on model in a 3d space as well as actual animation principles. Toon shaders still have this weird rear end look to them(aside from Guilty Gear and a few other Japanese stuff) so wanted to see what by hand would look like.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 11, 2015

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
first serious attempt at making an old looking cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F47iW7JLbQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

If you mean vibrating, it's because I think I just got really tired at that point, eep. But jiggling as in jiggling, I think because she's hitting the ground so hard.

You're actually pretty close. I'm attempting a different process of rotoscoping certain 3d elements with markers in certain areas for animating in 2d like faces and such. Basically allows the use of 3d camera work without having to think about staying on model in a 3d space as well as actual animation principles. Toon shaders still have this weird rear end look to them(aside from Guilty Gear and a few other Japanese stuff) so wanted to see what by hand would look like.

I'm not sure I understood everything you said here but I gotta say, whatever it is, it works and looks wonderful.

JonSnowGetsCaesared posted:

first serious attempt at making an old looking cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F47iW7JLbQ

Nailed it, bawce! Coul'dve fooled me, for realsies.