Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Spermgod posted:

I'm kind of surprised there's never been any rumors about them sending feelers out for Rush tbh.

Rush doesn't speak English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sockser posted:

Women's match claimed match of the night today, and that's saying a loving lot.

there's a lot of things to say about how nxt pulls off things much better than the main wwe programming but none of it comes closer to making me legit upset than how loving good all the women's matches are and how absolutely none of that has any chance of happening currently on raw, smackdown, or a ppv

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ChampRamp posted:

Taka Michinoku seemed to speak English quite well and was surprisingly loud, maybe they could hire him to livedub over Rush?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

ChampRamp posted:

I know this is irrelevant because it's not how they operate, but if ever anyone doesn't need to talk to get over it's him. I've never been more convinced that someone must be an total loving prick in real life based solely on their physical charisma and in-ring work.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gatts posted:

Adamle was a genius with his Championship Scramble. THE Brian Kendrick as world champ for like 30 seconds.

I liked how they put up an entire screen full of rules that they had to explain several times, when it was really just "last pinfall wins."

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Dave Meltzer posted:

From one of the top performers, there is no enthusiasm of talent when it comes to booking. The term used is that from above it’s a “We are having fun Goddammit” type of speech from Vince, and compared it to forcing POW’s to sing and dance and pretend everyone is happy. The bad promos are also a topic of discussion, particularly since the people around who understand the concept of money promos and building anticipation in matches are considered by most in management as “old wrestlers” and not sports entertainers. The funny part is that at NXT, the head promo coach is Dusty Rhodes, which is why that show has promos that direct into a feud and match more directly. One person noted that the best thing for the company would be to take Lawler off commentary and hire him as the promo coach for the main roster talent. But there is negative in that. First, Lawler probably wouldn’t want it. Second, Lawler isn’t going to fight the system and the problem is systematic. Also, while Lawler was one of the all-time best at doing promos that build matches, some, like Dusty, can do it and coach it, and I’m not sure if Lawler, where it came so easy to him, would coach it as well.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I know we hear it so much but I still get a tinge of sadness when I get reminded that anyone who talks about how buisness used to be they're called passed it and out of touch but when new writers come in with their new ideas they're bullied and mocked for not understanding the buisness.

I mean has anyone ever came into a room, saw WWE on the telly and said "Is that you watching the Sports Entertainment"? Has there ever been a playground conversation that started with "Who's your favourite sports entertainer"?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
What really worries me is what things are going to be like when a generation of workers that has only ever known the WWE way of doing things are the ones in control. We've already pretty much seen the death of working to get heat rather than to pop the crowd, what else is going to fall by the wayside?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spermgod posted:

What really worries me is what things are going to be like when a generation of workers that has only ever known the WWE way of doing things are the ones in control. We've already pretty much seen the death of working to get heat rather than to pop the crowd, what else is going to fall by the wayside?

When exactly is this generation going to be 'in control'? When HHH dies?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I was thinking this recently. No one has ever said, or will ever say, I'm a fan of sports entertainment. Or, my favourite sports entertainer is Daniel Bryan. No news organisation says sports entertainment. It's only WWE, and it sounds ridiculous and insulting every time someone is forced to shoehorn that phrase into a promo.

They've been banging this drum for years, it didn't work, everyone still thinks wrestling is lame and it's fans are stupid, let's just call a spade a spade (inseet HHH shovel gif here).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, but Vince is ashamed of wrasslin so that one isn't going away until he's dead.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

who honestly cares what it's called

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

I was thinking this recently. No one has ever said, or will ever say, I'm a fan of sports entertainment. Or, my favourite sports entertainer is Daniel Bryan. No news organisation says sports entertainment. It's only WWE, and it sounds ridiculous and insulting every time someone is forced to shoehorn that phrase into a promo.

They've been banging this drum for years, it didn't work, everyone still thinks wrestling is lame and it's fans are stupid, let's just call a spade a spade (inseet HHH shovel gif here).

Plus for 30 years more or less the public face of wrestling has been the WWF/E. If anyone has a bad preconception of wrestling and is under 50 it's because of the WWE.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

flashy_mcflash posted:

When exactly is this generation going to be 'in control'? When HHH dies?

I guess. I'm not entirely sure that HHH is likely to revert things back to a more traditional way of doing things. From stuff he says he seems to think a lot of the sports entertainment stuff is just the reality of how a major company has to work these days to appeal to the modern casual fan.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I'm optimistically assuming that he's being political because he knows Vince is up his rear end in a top hat watching him be a brand ambassador .

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Gonzo McFee posted:

Plus for 30 years more or less the public face of wrestling has been the WWF/E. If anyone has a bad preconception of wrestling and is under 50 it's because of the WWE.

Eh, in the US WCW was definitely equally at the forefront in the late '90s, although it was only for a brief period.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is nitpicky as hell but somebody tell Dave that Mania is in Santa Clara, not San Jose. This is like claiming that MetLife Stadium is in New York.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

This is nitpicky as hell but somebody tell Dave that Mania is in Santa Clara, not San Jose. This is like claiming that MetLife Stadium is in New York.

I think he knows.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

If only Dave lived in the area.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bring back Roddy Piper and have him train on promos.

Also bring in someone to translate what Roddy Piper is saying.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

How is it that Meltzer's been writing for as long as he has and he still writes word salad like that sometimes. It took me three tries to parse that second sentence.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

they should hire el generico to be their hispanic star with his trusty masked luchador team mate ratón poderoso

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Spermgod posted:

I guess. I'm not entirely sure that HHH is likely to revert things back to a more traditional way of doing things. From stuff he says he seems to think a lot of the sports entertainment stuff is just the reality of how a major company has to work these days to appeal to the modern casual fan.
I thought the sports-entertainment line was because there are like, laws and regulations about Wrestling(tm) but there aren't any for Sports Entertainment, Which Just So Happens To Look Kind Of Like Wrestling A Lot.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Nessus posted:

I thought the sports-entertainment line was because there are like, laws and regulations about Wrestling(tm) but there aren't any for Sports Entertainment, Which Just So Happens To Look Kind Of Like Wrestling A Lot.
That was part of it, but they got rid of almost all commission regulations 30 years ago. Now it's a marketing term that doesn't bring in any money but won't die.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Retromancer posted:

How is it that Meltzer's been writing for as long as he has and he still writes word salad like that sometimes. It took me three tries to parse that second sentence.

They did an angle because Taguchi does the butt bump and Omega was trying to injure his rear end and Taguchi would say his rear end was strong. Early in the match, Omega stuck a Bullet Club flag theoretically in Taguchi’s rear end. Then he waved the flag around. Taguchi got the flag and stuck it up Omega’s rear end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spermgod posted:

They did an angle because Taguchi does the butt bump and Omega was trying to injure his rear end and Taguchi would say his rear end was strong. Early in the match, Omega stuck a Bullet Club flag theoretically in Taguchi’s rear end. Then he waved the flag around. Taguchi got the flag and stuck it up Omega’s rear end.

see if he can write as good as this what's the deal with the other whacked-up sentences he writes sometimes?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Alain Post posted:

see if he can write as good as this what's the deal with the other whacked-up sentences he writes sometimes?

Kane then set up another table on the floor. He poured gasoline on both sides of the table and had fire retardant in the middle. Kane set the table on fire. The notable thing is it was the two ends on fire, not the middle. Bryan threw Kane through the table that was on fire.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Spermgod posted:

Kane then set up another table on the floor. He poured gasoline on both sides of the table and had fire retardant in the middle. Kane set the table on fire. The notable thing is it was the two ends on fire, not the middle. Bryan threw Kane through the table that was on fire.

5. Kevin Sullivan beat Brian Pillman in :59 of a Respect match. Strange. DUD

6. Sullivan went to a non decision with Arn Anderson (Marty Lunde) in another Respect match in 3:45. Ric Flair came running out and told the two to stop wrestling each other because they needed to be united to go against Hogan and Savage. DUD

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

5. Kevin Sullivan beat Brian Pillman in :59 of a Respect match.(Submission via Bookerman) Strange. DUD

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
If Punk ever wanted to have anything to do with WWE again, I could see him fighting the system by coaching developmental. He wouldn't have to tour and his schedule would be way lighter, but he'd still get WWE money.

Really though I just want him to come back as "GM Punk" because that pun writes itself.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

5. Kevin Sullivan beat Brian Pillman in :59 of a Respect match. Strange. DUD

Got to love that Meltzer's summary of one of the most famous moments of all time - the first time kayfabe was ever truly broken in the ring - in an angle to work the smarks was "Strange. DUD", and flew right over his head.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jerusalem posted:

Taka Michinoku seemed to speak English quite well and was surprisingly loud, maybe they could hire him to livedub over Rush?

This post made me want Taka Michinoku doing karaoke versions of Rush songs.

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Bring back Roddy Piper and have him train on promos.

Also bring in someone to translate what Roddy Piper is saying.

Piper is way too busy doing a fantastic podcast that's more entertaining than Raw could ever hope to be.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

BGrifter posted:

Can he also finish every sentence with "uwahahahaha" and a reference to somebody's dick?

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

After that NXT finish I now want to see Daniel Bryan or Roman Reigns disqualified for kicking too much rear end at Fast Lane

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

BGrifter posted:

I vaguely remember an old episode of Raw where the APA and Kaientai got drunk at a karaoke bar and Taka was singing something, but he sounded more like a bag full of cats than a man and my memory is pretty hazy, so who knows what the song was. Or if it even happened. Could be a fever dream, I don't know.

Manny Suave
Apr 5, 2011

Delsaber posted:

I vaguely remember an old episode of Raw where the APA and Kaientai got drunk at a karaoke bar and Taka was singing something, but he sounded more like a bag full of cats than a man and my memory is pretty hazy, so who knows what the song was. Or if it even happened. Could be a fever dream, I don't know.

No karaoke, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTgubD04Pk

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Retromancer posted:

Assuming that's not a transcript written by someone listening to what he said, he probably just doesn't give enough of a gently caress to put the effort in to little things like that in comparison to actual feature articles and stuff at times.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I couldn't find Old Man Cena to post in response.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Alan_Shore posted:

"WWE Universe"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

"WWE Universe"

My favorite part of this is that no one can say "WWE" fast but also accurate. At the end of a JBL Show, they had Paige doing a bumper and she says "Dubber Dubberee" one time and "Dubber Dubbee" the other.

• Locked thread