Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The real crime is that you said this about a deck named Naya Lightsaber instead of it being the finest creation in human history.

I agree that this is a much worse crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's for sure one of the best deck names, but it's also easily one of the worst lists to ever win a major event.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's for sure one of the best deck names, but it's also easily one of the worst lists to ever win a major event.

It looks neat until you notice BBE can't cascade into Ranger of Eos or Baneslayer Angel and it makes the whole thing look like a hodgepodge.

And it has a 3-cost card w/ Kicker in the sideboard. Messy.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I googled the decklist and the entire top eight looks horrible. Makes Abzan midrange look like a neat, synergistic deck.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
But Naya Lightsaber was made by the Michael Flores!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Someone do the math on how often you could actually play one of your 9 green 1 drops on turn 1 with the paltry 4 green sources that didn't enter tapped.

That also doesn't sound that bad until you notice, there are no other 1 CMC creatures or permanents of any color in the deck.

Could Path and Bolt really not wait until T2, its not like the deck has a single 2 Drop either.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

When discussing the Top of a given Pro Tour its important to remember that 6 rounds of limited has a big impact on which decks did or did not make the Top 8. I'd be very interested in seeing records for constructed only portions.

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/16951

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Maybe I'm missing something but on that list after Top 8 the decks are just organized by archetype and have no records.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

We can all argue about deck names until the cows come home, but I think the Play of the Year was Frank Karsten's one-of Galvanic Blast to blow out Ozman Ozguney (whose name and deck don't appear on mtggoldfish, oddly enough) on Mistbind Clique championing Mutavault. :vince: doesn't even begin to cover it.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Maybe I'm missing something but on that list after Top 8 the decks are just organized by archetype and have no records.

All those decks has 6 wins in the modern portion. It doesn't list their specific records, but its safe to say those were the decks that did decently in modern.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I thought Chapin had no wins in modern

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy crap this Return to the Ranks / Abzan Ascendancy / 1 drops deck looks fun and I want to play it:
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/263175#paper

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

Was there ever a lore reason given as to why there is/are demons in the Mardu ranks? I don't recall them ever mentioning that at all.

Semi-related note, I fit Butcher of the Horde back into a new version of my Mardu Warriors deck and it turns out that having 28 creatures makes speeding out Butcher easy as hell so hooray for that.

Can you post that list? I really don't know what to run on game day yet and I've been running Mardu Walkers.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Has Abzan Ascendancy seen any play in Standard at all, I forget.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ciprian Maricon posted:

When discussing the Top of a given Pro Tour its important to remember that 6 rounds of limited has a big impact on which decks did or did not make the Top 8. I'd be very interested in seeing records for constructed only portions.

Here are the top Modern decks from Pro Tour Fate Reforged.

pre:
Archetype        Player                   Rounds 4-8 Rounds 12-16 Constructed Total
Affinity         Esposito, Roberto [ITA]  12         15           27
Infect           Hill, Tyler [USA]        12         15           27
Burn             Wing Chun, Yam [HKG]     12         15           27
Little Kid Abzan Wilson, Jacob [CAN]      15         10           25
Burn             Shi Tian, Lee [HKG]      12         13           25
Abzan            Hampton, Jesse [USA]     15         9            24
Burn             Sang-eun, Kim [KOR]      15         9            24
Abzan            Wijaya, Vidianto [USA]   15         9            24
Infect           Finkel, Jon [USA]        12         12           24
Infect           Ravitz, Joshua [USA]     12         12           24
Abzan            Manner, Joey [USA]       12         12           24
Little Kid Abzan McClain, Josh [USA]      12         12           24
GR Tron          Ramboa, Thierry [FRA]    12         12           24
Tribal Zoo       Birch, Lars [DNK]        12         12           24
Infect           Swift, Orrin [USA]       12         12           24
Amulet           Chronopoulos, Bill [GRC] 12         12           24
Jund             Jong-sun, Park [KOR]     9          15           24
Amulet           Grove, Kevin [NLD]       9          15           24
Living End       Nielsen, Simon [DNK]     9          15           24

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Has Abzan Ascendancy seen any play in Standard at all, I forget.

Pretty sure the answer is no.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I love the fact that Caleb Durward somehow consistently continues to get away with being the only major author on CFB or SCG that refuses to convert fully to the KTK wedge names. His "Modern BUG" article just went up, doesn't contain the word Sultai once, and the first comment is someone complaining that he hasn't switched over to the new naming scheme.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
"Little Kid Abzan?" Should be called podless pod :colbert:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

KidDynamite posted:

Can you post that list? I really don't know what to run on game day yet and I've been running Mardu Walkers.

Here you go (though I did knock it down to 27 creatures to fit one more land). I have an earlier version in the brew thread here that, outside of the sideboard and a few lands, is probably easier to make work with less playtesting. But even with my current build, I find myself still debating on some card choices, but a lot of it is based on my local metagame. Your Results May Vary (tm)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It looks neat until you notice BBE can't cascade into Ranger of Eos or Baneslayer Angel and it makes the whole thing look like a hodgepodge.

And it has a 3-cost card w/ Kicker in the sideboard. Messy.
Doesn't that just show that BBE was overpowered and too good not to use even in decks that don't work very well with it, rather than anything about the deck itself?

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yeah its something that I wish Wizards did more often with mixed format events. Naya Lightsaber for example was a poo poo deck but a mixed format so a million people sleeved it up for FNM and were probably really confused why they lost so much.

Maybe Naya Lightsaber wasn't great, but it performed well enough at that tournament. It went 4-2 in the swiss rounds and won the three elimination rounds.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Entropic posted:

Holy crap this Return to the Ranks / Abzan Ascendancy / 1 drops deck looks fun and I want to play it:

Man this looks sweet. I got back into MTG at tail end of INN-RTR so I saw Aristocrats in action a bit. I didn't realize it immediately but that sort of synergy-based deck is extremely my type of poo poo so anything that carries on the Blood Artist-Cartel Aristocrat tradition is grade loving A.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Entropic posted:

Sam Black wrote an article for SCG about about the pro tour and he discusses this deck - I guess it was his original pick but in testing against Justin he decided to switch to Amulet Bloom.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Sam Black wrote an article for SCG about about the pro tour and he discusses this deck - I guess it was his original pick but in testing against Justin he decided to switch to Amulet Bloom.

It looks like it has almost negative game against Twin.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It looks like it has almost negative game against Twin.

It has Torpor Orb, Stain the Mind, and Choke in the sideboard.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

It has Torpor Orb, Stain the Mind, and Choke in the sideboard.

Tron's got a similar number of in and out of board options for twin but that still doesn't make the match-up anything but horribly weighted in twin's favor, and I think the same applies here.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It can also play Stain the Mind off its tokens! I could totally see a situation where your opponent flashes in an Exarch/Pestermite and you Stain the Mind in response while still having 3 mana to pay for Leak, or 5 to just recast it if they Remand it. Obviously you'd need to be in the middle of 'going off' to pull that off but it's a consideration.

It could maybe use some Thoughtseize or Inquisition to give it actual game against combo decks, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ungulateman posted:

It can also play Stain the Mind off its tokens! I could totally see a situation where your opponent flashes in an Exarch/Pestermite and you Stain the Mind in response while still having 3 mana to pay for Leak, or 5 to just recast it if they Remand it. Obviously you'd need to be in the middle of 'going off' to pull that off but it's a consideration.

It could maybe use some Thoughtseize or Inquisition to give it actual game against combo decks, though.

Stain the Mind is a sorcery.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Stuff like that reminds you just how random Magic can be. I will give it that it looks fun as hell.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Rally the Ancestors is better than Return to the Ranks in that deck? It's cheaper (basically maxes out at 2WW in that deck) but with the drawback that it doesn't have convoke (but you don't want your creatures on the battlefield when you're casting it anyway).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you've got the combo together then sure, but RttR sortof does something without it while RtA is almost completely useless.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Dehtraen posted:

i hope he got way better at that deck because watching him play it before was atrocious

i mean the deck is incredibly hard to play at 100% efficiency but drat he just sucked at the deck.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/29417_Video-Amulet-Of-Vigor-In-Modern.html

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 12, 2015

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Tonetta posted:

i hope he got way better at that deck because watching him play it before was atrocious

i mean the deck is incredibly hard to play at 100% efficiency but drat he just sucked at the deck.

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/29417_Video-Amulet-Of-Vigor-In-Modern.html

I'm nowhere near an expert on the deck, so am I looking for specific games / plays here? Does he call himself out on making really dumb mistakes or is it only obvious to experienced pilots of the deck?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tonetta posted:

Since he almost top8-ed the pt with it, he probably did.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Applebees posted:

Here are the top Modern decks from Pro Tour Fate Reforged.

pre:
Archetype        Player                   Rounds 4-8 Rounds 12-16 Constructed Total
Affinity         Esposito, Roberto [ITA]  12         15           27
Infect           Hill, Tyler [USA]        12         15           27
Burn             Wing Chun, Yam [HKG]     12         15           27
Little Kid Abzan Wilson, Jacob [CAN]      15         10           25
Burn             Shi Tian, Lee [HKG]      12         13           25
Abzan            Hampton, Jesse [USA]     15         9            24
Burn             Sang-eun, Kim [KOR]      15         9            24
Abzan            Wijaya, Vidianto [USA]   15         9            24
Infect           Finkel, Jon [USA]        12         12           24
Infect           Ravitz, Joshua [USA]     12         12           24
Abzan            Manner, Joey [USA]       12         12           24
Little Kid Abzan McClain, Josh [USA]      12         12           24
GR Tron          Ramboa, Thierry [FRA]    12         12           24
Tribal Zoo       Birch, Lars [DNK]        12         12           24
Infect           Swift, Orrin [USA]       12         12           24
Amulet           Chronopoulos, Bill [GRC] 12         12           24
Jund             Jong-sun, Park [KOR]     9          15           24
Amulet           Grove, Kevin [NLD]       9          15           24
Living End       Nielsen, Simon [DNK]     9          15           24

Huh, interesting, I didn't know Kill Bill was playing Amulet.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I'm nowhere near an expert on the deck, so am I looking for specific games / plays here? Does he call himself out on making really dumb mistakes or is it only obvious to experienced pilots of the deck?

He doesn't call himself out on really dumb mistakes, but experienced pilots of the deck might have noticed a few misplays during the PT coverage. Like, for example, instances when he took very conservative lines when his opponent was tapped out instead of... y'know, just winning.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I have athreos, god of passage on the board.

I activate genju of the fens and my opponent kills the swamp after I attack. Does the swamp trigger athreos's ability?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Molybdenum posted:

I have athreos, god of passage on the board.

I activate genju of the fens and my opponent kills the swamp after I attack. Does the swamp trigger athreos's ability?

Yes it will. It's a creature that dies, and you own it, so your opponent has the choice of paying 3 life or letting you get your Swamp back.

(e: As an aside, can someone explain to me how the Genju return-to-hand triggers actually work? They're typically still on the battlefield when the enchanted land is put into the graveyard, so it's not one of those at-the-same-time things...)

Jabor fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 12, 2015

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
The land going into the graveyard triggers the Genju's ability, which is placed on the stack. Before the stack starts resolving, all SBA stuff is checked, so the Genju gets sent to the graveyard as a SBA due to the object it was enchanting no longer being present. The Genju is now in the graveyard to get sent back to its owner's hand when its ability resolves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Allstone posted:

The land going into the graveyard triggers the Genju's ability, which is placed on the stack. Before the stack starts resolving, all SBA stuff is checked, so the Genju gets sent to the graveyard as a SBA due to the object it was enchanting no longer being present. The Genju is now in the graveyard to get sent back to its owner's hand when its ability resolves.

But abilities don't actually track cards across zones - for example, if it's the beginning of your upkeep, and there's a Squee, Goblin Nabob in your graveyard, if I Surgical Extraction and then Pull from Eternity him in response to the trigger he won't be returned to your hand.

Additionally, abilities with that wording typically trigger only if the card is already in the graveyard - Bloodghast's Landfall ability, for example, will not trigger at all if he's already on the battlefield.

• Locked thread