Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Golbez posted:

Yes? A quick google search shows those to be the proper dimensions of the BLU-82.

However, that image must be from many years ago, because the last operational BLU-82 was dropped in 2008.

So... your post confuses me, what does a Reuters image from probably 14 years ago have to do with Assad supporters?

Gonna guess they're claiming syrian barrel bombs are secretly daisy cutters.

In fact I will attempt to map out the entire line of thought without looking it up.

Assad: We don't have barrel bombs
Fact checkers: Lol obviously you do. Look pictures.
Assad Supporters Bah those could be anything in fact the US drops big bombs like these daisy cutters so it's undoubtedly them doing it.

And scene.

farraday fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

farraday posted:

This. The resemblance is uncanny.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

This. The resemblance is uncanny.

What? I would say its very canny! :v:

Edit: phoneposting suck!

Zudgemud fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 11, 2015

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I apologize if this has been posted before, but its so cool I had to take the chance

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I published a set of tables with the same data but not that image, which I hadn't seen before. I know some people who work with the think tank so I tend to post something when they do a new report. Thanks for posting it.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Disinterested posted:

It's nice of them to inform you as to what happens to the pallet.

The fact that the pallet has its own parachute, presumably so it doesn't hurt someone by landing on them, is the most magical thing I've seen in a long time. :3:

mankind.txt

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

farraday posted:

In fact I will attempt to map out the entire line of thought without looking it up.

Assad: We don't have barrel bombs
Fact checkers: Lol obviously you do. Look pictures.
Assad Supporters Bah those could be anything in fact the US drops big bombs like these daisy cutters so it's undoubtedly them doing it.

And scene.

:bravo:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

"Surely he must be exaggerating," I thought. "There's no way Assad's twitterati could be so dumb."

<checks Twitter, reads a few tweets, blows brains out>

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Fintilgin posted:

The fact that the pallet has its own parachute, presumably so it doesn't hurt someone by landing on them, is the most magical thing I've seen in a long time. :3:

mankind.txt

I suspect that it's there to make sure the pallet separates from the bomb cleanly and is far enough away to ensure it doesn't interfere with the detonation of the bomb.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Hmm, the number of Russians may be undereported, or the Kavkaz Emirate troops who swore loyalty to DAESH (which cut the Kavkaz Emirate in half because the rest stuck with Al-Quaida, Khadyrov is completely happy about this) dont turn up on these numbers, perhaps because they went in earlier.

It could also be that the "professional" Chechens are a bit more difficult to track, since being difficult to track is a survival trait for a Chechen jihadi in Khadyrov land.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

fade5 posted:

Okay now that's just not fair.

The Kurds have trapped ISIL fighters in 4 separate pincer maneuvers.:allears::hf::getin:

Whoever said that ISIL's retreat was disorganized, looks like you were completely right, because you don't get trapped like that if you're doing an organized retreat.

E:

1337JiveTurkey gets a gold star, but didn't go far enough, because some of the ISIL forces to the south (well, north now that the Kurds have circled around them:v:) are now completely hosed too.

To be fair, they took an absolutely ludicrous amount of territory over the course of 24 hours in that encircling maneuver. The shading on the map for territory held sort of implies that there was a really ugly salient in the east when it's more like that section of the line has ceased to exist and they have no way to reform it. ISIS apparently doesn't even have reserves that they can commit to keep the Kurds from exploiting the gap and no depth to give any resilience at all.

It's like their entire strategy is to keep everyone up front fighting and to never withdraw even when the first map says they should have been hauling rear end south. If that's the case then it may be the vast majority of their fighters in the area are in that strip since the Kurds apparently have run into absolutely nothing in the area behind it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Pegged Lamb posted:

I apologize if this has been posted before, but its so cool I had to take the chance

Is this strictly ISIS fighters or does it include other militias?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Flavahbeast posted:

Is this strictly ISIS fighters or does it include other militias?

All Sunni (largely salafist) militants: http://icsr.info/2015/01/foreign-fighter-total-syriairaq-now-exceeds-20000-surpasses-afghanistan-conflict-1980s/

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

1337JiveTurkey posted:

To be fair, they took an absolutely ludicrous amount of territory over the course of 24 hours in that encircling maneuver. The shading on the map for territory held sort of implies that there was a really ugly salient in the east when it's more like that section of the line has ceased to exist and they have no way to reform it. ISIS apparently doesn't even have reserves that they can commit to keep the Kurds from exploiting the gap and no depth to give any resilience at all.

It's like their entire strategy is to keep everyone up front fighting and to never withdraw even when the first map says they should have been hauling rear end south. If that's the case then it may be the vast majority of their fighters in the area are in that strip since the Kurds apparently have run into absolutely nothing in the area behind it.
Yeah, it's kinda amazing just how fast ISIL has collapsed around Kobani. I mean, pretty much everyone knew ISIL were going to fall back when the Kurds finally routed them in the city, but basically no one expected this level of disorganized retreat.

Also, since imgur appears to have eaten those original images, here are some (not quite as good) twitter copies:

Note Tal Abyad in the east, and how it doesn't seem so far away now.:getin:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Feb 12, 2015

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

fade5 posted:

Whoever said that ISIL's retreat was disorganized, looks like you were completely right, because you don't get trapped like that if you're doing an organized retreat.

The War Nerd predicted all of this would happen almost 8 months ago now. Back in late summer 2014, everyone was freaking out over the siege of Kobane, but he said the city would never fall.

Basically, ISIS had a bunch of cool machinery that they could use to terrorize civilians, but none of them know how to use it. It was like handing humvees and tanks to a group of twelve year olds, or to the Four Lions. And it's hard to teach several tens of thousands of untrained militants how to function like a complete army when they're getting bombed all the time.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

This isn't victory, this is fighting an enemy who knows how to retreat strategically and hold its forces in reserve.

:swoon:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect that it's there to make sure the pallet separates from the bomb cleanly and is far enough away to ensure it doesn't interfere with the detonation of the bomb.

The Pallet hitting some civvie out there might mean the us would get sued :ohdear:

I mean if they somehow survived behind that close to a big rear end bomb

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I would love to be wrong.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

If we were using Daisy Cutters in Damascus, you'd be able to see it from Lebanon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSnTICtgBwA

No loving poo poo. I remember when the U.S. dropped one as an in-field demonstration in Iraq during the Gulf War and everyone on both sides lost their poo poo because they thought someone dropped a nuke. Daisy cutters are no loving joke.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Young Freud posted:

No loving poo poo. I remember when the U.S. dropped one as an in-field demonstration in Iraq during the Gulf War and everyone on both sides lost their poo poo because they thought someone dropped a nuke. Daisy cutters are no loving joke.

Well recall after Israel bombed the military base in the heights above Damascus they were accused of using a nuke because there was a mushroom shaped cloud.

There is no bar of understanding so low someone can't limbo under it.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

So this guy is operating under the impression that Iraq will still exist in a recognizable form when this is all over? Doesn't really make much sense to me.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miltank posted:

Doesn't really make much sense to me.

Nothing does anymore - it is the curse of Babel.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

ISIS holds a lot of empty sands but that's not nearly as important as holding actual centers of habitation.

Additionally, in a lot of situations the land (whether inhabited or not) doesn't matter as much as reserves of manpower and other resources. A battle that costs ISIS thousands of combat-ready troops is devastating no matter where it is fought.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Volkerball posted:

Assad supporters are going full retard now.

Since when was this new?

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So while things go crap in the north how are things faring in the southern part of the Caliphate?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

In lighter news, I ran across an article about American Sniper being shown in Iraq and it's reaction to Iraqi audiences, which was not what I expected...

quote:

When Gaith Mohammed, a young man in his twenties with a degree in accounting, went to see "American Sniper" during its opening week at Baghdad’s Mansour Mall, he says the theater was full and rowdy.

“Some people watching were just concentrating, but others were screaming ‘F*ck, shoot him! He has an IED, don’t wait for permission!!’” Mohammed laughed, recounting the film’s many tense scenes when US Navy SEAL sniper Chris Kyle, played by Bradley Cooper, radios in for authorization to take out a potential threat in his crosshairs.

The film, set during the US-led occupation of Iraq and released on Christmas Day, hit nerves in the United States immediately. Some critics and commentators lauded it as patriotic and unflinching; others dismissed it as reductionist and racist.

Many people also objected to the film's portrayal of Kyle — a man who described Iraqis as "savages" in his memoir — as a hero.

irected by Clint Eastwood, the movie is based on a book by the late Kyle, now known ubiquitously as the most lethal sniper in US military history. It has proven to be a blockbuster, breaking records and topping box office sales since its wide release on Jan. 16 and racking up Oscar nominations, including one for best picture.

It’s been stirring controversy in Iraq, too.

In Baghdad, where much of the film is set, the movie drew full crowds at one of the city’s new upscale cinemas. Dressed in a fur-collared coat and loafers, Mohammed says many of the showings were sold out, and he knows of people who had to book their tickets a day in advance during opening week.

But after just a week on screens, the Mansour Mall theater pulled the controversial war movie. A theater employee sitting at the box office says management made the decision “because the hero of this film boasts of killing more than 160 Muslims.” The employee declined to give his name because he did not have permission to speak to journalists.

Mansour Mall attracts a largely upscale crowd in Baghdad. Behind tall gates and multiple layers of security complete with metal detectors and X-ray belts, the theaters here show a mix of Western and Arab films. Moviegoers interviewed at the mall say big budget action movies are usually the most popular, but romantic comedies and family dramas also do well.

Mohammed says one of the film’s opening scenes, when Kyle spots a woman and child who appear to be preparing to attack US troops during the initial invasion of Iraq, had the entire audience on the edge of their seats.

“When the sniper was hesitating to shoot [the child holding the RPG] everyone was yelling ‘Just shoot him!’” he said.

Mohammed, who lived through the events in Baghdad the film depicts, admits that scenes where women and children were killed were hard for him to watch. But all in all he liked the movie.

“I love watching war movies because especially now they give me the strength to face ISIS,” he said, using one of the acronyms for the Islamic State. When asked if he thought the movie was racist or anti-Arab — a charge made by some critics in the West — he replied, “No, why? The sniper was killing terrorists, the only thing that bothered me was when he said he didn’t know anything about the Quran!”

Not all of the reviews were positive...

quote:

But not all Iraqis were cheering on "Chief" Kyle’s kills. Wael, a government ministry employee in his thirties, says the film was too violent. He’s happy it’s no longer being shown in some Baghdad theaters.

“To some extent, I considered it against all Muslims,” he said. He also referred to the opening scene in Fallujah where a woman and child are killed.

“The sniper, he has a chance to hit the child and his mother in their foot or anywhere without killing them, but he didn’t because he’s bloodthirsty like all the American troops.”

Wael, who asked to only be referred to by his first name because he fears for his security, says he still watched the movie three times: twice at the cinema and again at his friend’s house.

:psyduck:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Young Freud posted:

In lighter news, I ran across an article about American Sniper being shown in Iraq and it's reaction to Iraqi audiences, which was not what I expected...

Not all of the reviews were positive...

:psyduck:

Eh it could very well be that the people they were quoting had a emotional investment in the war especially considering the statement about ISIS. Basically, it is quite likely those guys were Shia Iraqis getting psyched about an American dude plastering some Sunnis.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 12, 2015

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Ardennes posted:

Eh it could very well be that the people they were quoting maybe had their investment in the war especially considering the statement about ISIS. Basically, it is quite likely those guys were Shia Iraqis getting psyched about an American dude plastering some Sunnis.

Hearts and Minds :swoon:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Eh it could very well be that the people they were quoting had a emotional investment in the war especially considering the statement about ISIS. Basically, it is quite likely those guys were Shia Iraqis getting psyched about an American dude plastering some Sunnis.

Considering how the enemy in the movie is AQI, which later became ISI, then ISIS, then IS, your explanation is probably right. I have a friend who recently returned from doing work in Baghdad, and he said that a lot of Shia are pretty pro-US because we're loving up IS with airstrikes.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax
Both shia and sunny are completely nuts, but honestly seems like shia are the better of the two and deserves international support in their holy war thing.

Have shia ever attacked US on US soil?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

False Flag Rape posted:

Our Embassy in Iran :911:

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008

False Flag Rape posted:

Both shia and sunny are completely nuts, but honestly seems like shia are the better of the two and deserves international support in their holy war thing.

Shia and Sunni are two giant umbrella categories that cover vast portions of the global Muslim population, the majority of whom are non-extremist and the extremist portion of which are at war with eachother largely regardless of Shia/Sunni sympathies. See: ISIS versus Al-Queda, both Sunni.

And no, no one deserves international support for their "holy war thing".

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

False Flag Rape posted:

The government of Syria is led by Shiites, and it is responsible for most deaths in this conflict, sooo......

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Also I'm going to assume that during the long, painful occupation of Iraq, American troops fought just about everybody and every faction in the country at some point or another. Except possibly the Kurds, I guess.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

False Flag Rape posted:

Motherfucker, is you serious?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Dolash posted:

Also I'm going to assume that during the long, painful occupation of Iraq, American troops fought just about everybody and every faction in the country at some point or another. Except possibly the Kurds, I guess.

Yeah during the early stages of the insurgency the Sadrists supported AQI, and Shia militias insist they will fight any US ground invasion aimed at repelling ISIS, so they're fairweather friends at best.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Miltank posted:

So this guy is operating under the impression that Iraq will still exist in a recognizable form when this is all over? Doesn't really make much sense to me.

Yeah, he's basically treating a partitioned Iraq as a worst-case scenario rather than a de facto reality. Thing is, it seems like a lot of Iraqis themselves aren't ready to accept a partition either. The Kurds were never properly integrated and no one should be surprised that they've gone their own way, but this vicious Sunni-Shia split among the Arab population is somewhat different. Baghdad and many of the other major cities have, historically, been home to both groups, and though they've become increasing divided in the past decade, both groups are still "Iraqi." I think there is still hope for a federated Iraq, with or without the Kurds, but it will depend on a true power-sharing agreement and stronger curbs on Shiite absolutism than American diplomatic pressure can reasonably provide. To this end, the Sunni national guard regiments could actually serve to keep the country together by providing enough of a deterrent against Shia power grabs to force the two groups to really work together. Who knows, maybe fighting together against a common foe will undo some of the ill will between them. I mean, it could happen. Or they could end up shooting each other with American weapons. That could happen too. Lord only knows who the US would back then.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
But why do the US need to back someone up? What's with the american wish to stick the dick into every blender that's passing by?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Middle East thread, Muslims, maybe it belongs somewhere else but something I have been worried about seems to have happened in the US with a "radical atheist" charged in the murder of three North Carolina Muslims. I wouldn't expect this to become frequent but it seemed like just a matter of time until some US nutjob got tired of watching people executed on youtube and decided to target someone wearing a hijab:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/12/us/shooting-deaths-university-of-north-carolina-murder-charges.html?_r=0

Sergg posted:

But a statement released by the Chapel Hill police said, “Our preliminary investigation indicates that the crime was motivated by an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking," adding that the man arrested, Craig Stephen Hicks, was “cooperating with investigators.”

:ohdear:: "If I go to the United States will they shoot me for being a Muslim?"
:v:: "Nah, but they might shoot you if you park in the wrong spot."
:ohdear:: ":stare:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Seriously can't wait for a bunch of nutters to go to East Texas to draw Shia-inspired art. Like, that's Ali or the Mahdi, no? Nevermind poor Muhammad Ali in the corner.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...rence-in-texas/

edit for some actual substance: ICYMI the Syrian Air Force has been pounding the living poo poo out of Douma -- some unverified reports of more than 300 civilians dead in here days -- and a joint SAA/Hezbollah offensive probably 5,000+ strong is making mincemeat of rebel forces in northern Daraa. Looks like they're trying to emulate their successes in Quneitra in Daraa while blasting the Damascus suburbs into further rubble.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 12, 2015

• Locked thread