Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

admanb posted:

That could be an interesting variant, but you'd have to rebalance money and VPs to stop big money from being the only viable strategy.

Which I suppose means you just play Ascension where they already did that and leave Dominion as its own game.

Black Market gives me all the quirky random card availability I need in my Dominion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Me: Oh cool, a Ghostebusters Boardgame!

Brain: Kickstarter + Cryptozoic + Minis

Me: :shepicide:

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice

djfooboo posted:

Me: Oh cool, a Ghostebusters Boardgame!

Brain: Kickstarter + Cryptozoic + Minis

Me: :shepicide:

Why are you and your brain different people?

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Maybe he's actually Pinky.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

Why are you and your brain different people?

Cartesian dualism.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Some Numbers posted:

As has been said, if you're hanging out with your friends and drinking and just want a thing to do while you drink and socialize, a lot of "bad" games will fit the bill.

That doesn't make them not bad games.

You've hit the nail on the head but the thing is that this leads to conflict when the distinction isn't clear, and every now and again it plays out here. One side looks at things the one way but the other assumes the other way. For example - this thread mostly wants to talk about boardgames from a technical side but people will come in and want to talk from the 'hey I had fun with...' side. Then they get told that game xyz is actually a bad game which really just comes across as a bunch of people telling them they're not entitled to the good feelings they had (and often reveling in doing so, for some reason.)

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
BL, how come there isn't a kickstarter level for retail stores to get multiple copies of Final Attack? My FLGS regularly donates to KS games if they know they can get multiple copies to sell.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Big McHuge posted:

BL, how come there isn't a kickstarter level for retail stores to get multiple copies of Final Attack? My FLGS regularly donates to KS games if they know they can get multiple copies to sell.

edit 2: it's live.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 11, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You really don't need to. The shuttle puck thing is a cool concept (and the slight board edges are fine if everyone is cool with the odd "anomaly" sending their scouts spiraling out of the galaxy), but the game itself is pretty underwhelming once you get beyond the thrill of flicking spaceships around. A game like catacombs did really creative things within the dexterity mechanic (e.g. a shield is a wooden token you put in front of your dude, or an arrow is a smaller token you put within an inch of your piece and flick). Ascending doesn't really do any of that, and the empire building game going on in the background is really uninspired.

If I put the components in front of you and asked you to design a game, I'd give you good odds of coming up with something a lot more fun than the designers did.

So what are the best dexterity games? Crokinole, Catacombs, ..?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Broken Loose posted:

edit 2: it's live.

Awesome, I'll let my local store know about it the next time I'm in (probably within the next week or so).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Bamboleo

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

fozzy fosbourne posted:

PitchCar?

If tossing is more your thing then flicking, Dungeon Fighter is pretty great.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Based on the setting and tone of that video my assumption is that the loser of Bamboleo is put to death.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Jenga :colbert:

:eyepop: Holy poo poo that's awesome I need a copy of that game

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 11, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

admanb posted:

Based on the setting and tone of that video my assumption is that the loser of Bamboleo is put to death.
the end phrase is 'only the ones who play are truly alive' so yes, you are correct

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Click Clack Lumberjack is fairly well-regarded by this thread, too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Bambelo is awesome. This is a fact.

I like to keep Ghost Blitz in my bag at all times (along with Coup and Hanabi), because it's the perfect match of dexterity, pattern recognition and phallic objects for any beer drinking situation. It does kinda separate people into those who get it and those who don't.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Click Clack Lumberjack is the best dexterity game. Then Pitchcar, but it's incredibly expensive. Then Rampage/Terror at Meeple City, but the length of the average game is easily twice as long as it should be.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Rutibex posted:

Jenga :colbert:

:eyepop: Holy poo poo that's awesome I need a copy of that game

I just snagged one off eBay, it is straight up amazing.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Look at these fools who have never played Riff Raff

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!
So, thinking about getting Dungeon Lords. What is the difference between the base game and the Anniversary edition? I know it includes the expansion in a bigger box to hold it all, but is that it? Seems like it's cheaper to just get the two separately. Well the expansion is currently out of stock on CSI, but it could be bought later also. I know I got the big box of Galaxy Trucker and haven't really used the expansion components at all yet. Okay, so the first game we played had cards from the expansions mixed in because they don't include a list of which cards go with which set. Good way to lose super fast btw.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Anniversary Edition has all of the expansion content to date, in a very nice box with very nice components. Get anniversary edition.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
If you order the anniversary edition it will get to you before mine gets to me, so I will tell you not to get it out of spite.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Click Clack Lumberjack. I weas going to say Jungle Speed, but I guess that's more of a reflexes/pattern matching game. also it rules poo poo

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Jungle Speed is better than Spartacus if you're looking for bloodsport.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Zveroboy posted:

Oh BoardGameGeek, you do brighten my days.

Woke up this morning to find a post in the Dominion sub-forum saying "I think that shuffling victory point cards into your deck is bad game design". OP then plays a game leaving the Victory cards out of the deck, only to discover "the game is clearly balanced around having cards that do nothing from time to time."

To be fair literally almost everyone replies with the befuddlement that you express in your post. It's not like it's a bunch of people agreeing with him. That post was just a one off by a newish board gamer that could have very well been made anywhere, including here.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

This just in: Archipelago is hot fire. Hot hot fire. Lots of moving parts, but it fits together so nice.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

Bubble-T posted:

I know I've seen at least one person here say they enjoyed To Court The King, details about a 'remake' of sorts from Tom Lehmann and Bezier Games have just come out: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/38707/new-game-round-lehmann-courts-power-favor-pharaoh

Thanks for the tip...

Part of the appeal of TCTK for me was the relative simplicity -- news that this one comes in a Ticket To Ride sized box is somewhat bizarre, but hey, I'll be checking it out.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGk3U6CpWM0

France has cloned TableTop.

More attractive people speaking a language I don't understand already means it's 10x more watchable than Wheaton's show.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Bubble-T posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGk3U6CpWM0

France has cloned TableTop.

More attractive people speaking a language I don't understand already means it's 10x more watchable than Wheaton's show.

It's only because you don't understand what they're saying...

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

ETB posted:

I'm well aware of that.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Got to try out my copy of Argent tonight. Only had one run at it so far and I'm still processing, but here are a few opening thoughts.

- The game is dense. Even reading through the manual a couple times in advance and going over details with my players, our first round took easily twice as long as any of the subsequent rounds, entirely due to questions and trying to keep everything straight.

- While there are a lot of details to consider, you quickly realize that each individual turn can only directly interact with a couple of them at a time, and stuff gets considerably faster once you know what you're looking at/trying to accomplish in that particular action.

- Secret objectives and hidden knowledge add to the game considerably. Removing a bit of the transparency of goals that most worker placements have makes you second guess a lot of your opposition's moves. Is that person stockpiling mana just to throw out more spells later in the round, or is the 'most mana' objective in play and I just haven't seen it yet?

- While at a glance I think each element of the game is useful to the overall big picture design, I think AP prone players are going to have a loving aneurysm trying to play this. There is so much to consider and so many potential things you can be doing each turn, certain people are going to just freeze up trying to play this.

- The art and components are really pretty.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Do those guys have any claim to fame in France, or are they just random dudes with a good camera?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ETB posted:

There are ever "better" Tabletop clones out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xC6zwnItA

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Rutibex posted:

There are ever "better" Tabletop clones out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xC6zwnItA

Those people are loving hideous.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
Man why can't boardgamers just be normal people, this hobby is making me feel dirty and shameful.

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010

snuff posted:

Man why can't boardgamers just be normal people, this hobby is making me feel dirty and shameful.

Rahdo is pretty normal. He's my go to review guy. Also that French tabletop is uncanny. They got a smarmy looking guy with a lame beard, a pale read head and a couple goony fellows. It even has the same set design concept and show layout.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

PyroDwarf posted:

Rahdo is pretty normal. He's my go to review guy. Also that French tabletop is uncanny. They got a smarmy looking guy with a lame beard, a pale read head and a couple goony fellows. It even has the same set design concept and show layout.

Few things are more painful than watching Rahdo try to make a move and spend like 5 minutes deliberating on what he should do, then take it back after he performs the other player's turn, all while the cam shakes all over the place.

If you can tolerate that though, his videos are pretty good for learning games and I appreciate that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Board With Life makes Tabletop look like board game heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

BGG's Gamenight is an interesting channel - I like that they show the full game, but a few times I've seen some really bad rules errors - the sort of "clever" interpretation that comes from wishful thinking that you've found a hole. An example of this - in Coup, allowing any player to block theft/assassination (instead of the targeted player). There's also a regular who often is just not trying or paying attention, and one who leaps to sweeping strategic or judgemental statements.