Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Covok posted:

Also, anyone know the girl or guy who did the cover? I think it's the same person who did most of the art on The One Ring.

Jon Hodgson, and yeah, he did art for The One Ring too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I read through the free version and am I right that you don't actually roll to attack? You just roll damage or perform some kind of maneuver with a Save?

That is correct, there is no attack roll, and armor is applied as damage reduction.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

DalaranJ posted:

That is correct, there is no attack roll, and armor is applied as damage reduction.

Got my PDF this morning, game looks amazing and the included adventure looks kickass. The damage thing threw me too, but it looks like it will work pretty well.

I really can't wait to try this.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
A quick note for anyone who ordered Into the Odd and went for the physical version. The books were printed but an error in the prints means that they had to go back and do a new print run and destroy most of the bad prints. So while they were expected to be out already there's a delay on that.

As far as Into the Odd goes, it feels to me like it hits a similar design space to Dungeon World in some ways. And that may be due to my feeling of how the engine is meant to respond to the fiction. There's a suggestion that the GM shouldn't have people roll saves for things unless they are responses to what the characters themselves trigger, for example, and there are principles/an agenda that the designer writes. He groups them around settings and such but they are still there. Really catchy stuff too.

Also, you can basically use your Arcana however you'd like once you get them. You only need to roll saves on them if you are using them in manners which they weren't intended for. There's also some stuff about hazards. I honestly haven't read the whole thing because I have a thing about reading long texts on a screen, so when I get my print copy I will be devouring it I think. But everything I see come out of the designer gets me excited. He's even been working on some rules for a sort of mass combat system that is abstracted. He's trying to prevent rules creep in the new stuff he writes, which is a laudable goal in my mind.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DalaranJ posted:

Carcosa

Don't buy Carcosa.
Why?

Ive never read it (or seen it in person), but is there a problem with it or is it just the usual "oh no there is a mix of sex and horror" reaction?

I have no interest in getting it (or anything right now), but some people love the hosed up horror games and for them ... good for them I guess.

Like google always gives me things like this:

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-carcosa-lotfp-edition.html

quote:

I largely stand behind by initial assessment, namely that Carcosa is a frustratingly eccentric work whose primary virtue is also its primary flaw: a rejection of the (often unstated) moral structure underpinning Gygaxian D&D. It's this rejection, I think, that's at the heart of much of the controversy surrounding Carcosa, which attempts to present a stark, even bleak, interpretation of Lovecraft as the basis for a gonzo science fantasy setting filled with serpent men, gray aliens, Great Old Ones, and Jack Kirby-style science-as-magic. Go ahead and read those original reviews, if you're unsure of the basic premise of Carcosa and what it includes.

Geoffrey McKinney has penned a new essay, "Humanity on Carcosa," which offers some insight into what it's like to live on Carcosa amidst all its Lovecraftian horrors and extraterrestrial entities. It's pretty bleak stuff, in my opinion, and reinforces the notion that I could never run an extended campaign in the setting. At the same time, I am grateful for its inclusion, since I believed in 2008, as I do now, that a setting like this one demands some "designer notes" to properly get a handle on it.

As a RPG, I think Carcosa (2012) still remains somewhat frustrating, at least to me, largely because it is written from a viewpoint so alien to my own. That's almost certainly a feature rather than a bug for most people, including its author, but I can't deny that I continue to find Carcosa too bleak and nihilistic a setting for my tastes. It's not just a "hard" setting; it's a hopeless one and, girly man that I am, I'm not much interested in hopelessness in my pastimes. On the other hand, one could reasonably make the argument that its bleakness is in fact a perfect emulation of Lovecraft's worldview, where mankind is cosmically insignificant and knowledge is a double-edged sword. If that's what one wants, Carcosa delivers it in spades.
http://killitwithfirerpg.blogspot.com/2012/01/review-of-carcosa-book-and-pdf.html

quote:

No pussy-footing around it though: Carcosa mentions underage victims being sacrificed, and in one now infamous instance goes into an amount of detail that will make anyone suck in their breath for a second and cringe. Furthermore—and I don't know if this was part of the original PDF from a couple years back—in the sample adventure included in the book, the players can run across the body of such an unfortunate victim and learn that the sorcerer that did this has also found a way to keep her necrotically preserved for further ritualistic violations.

Why publish such a thing? Because it makes the stakes very high. Any self-respecting group of players will want to enact painful justice on the man that did such a thing. You want horrid villains? This book will give them to you. The most loathsome and sad beings in the universe.

On the other hand, many will point out that because such rituals are described, albeit in short entries usually no more than a paragraph or two, some players will exercise their right to carry them out in-game. Well, in my personal case, if I was playing a sorcerer (the class presented in this book that has access to rituals), I would never carry out certain of the rituals, even if it was for the greater good. I never can bring myself to be too bad of a guy when I role-play. I always have a soft spot for begging villains that promise contrition. That's how I roll. If the player to my left wanted to perform an evil ritual, my character would soon plot their character's demise. Even if they were doing something that might save the world from one of the Lovecraftian entities presented in the book.

Which makes it sound great for grindhouse horror weirdos but bad for black/white Tolkien people.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I'm not very sensitive to anything offensive, but the main reason why you should not buy Carcosa is that it's actually a terribly bad game. It tries to be serious despite being goofy as hell, most of the content seems like it's been done with a random generator, the content doesn't actually have any greater depth to itv and everything in the game is extremely superficial.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FRINGE posted:

Why?

Ive never read it (or seen it in person), but is there a problem with it or is it just the usual "oh no there is a mix of sex and horror" reaction?

From what I gather, it reads like something a 15-year old would write if he went out of his way to be as dark and totally gritty as possible.

"To cast this awesomely EEEVIL ritual, you have to...RAPE A KID! YEEEAAAH!" :black101: :rock:

(Yes, the rape and murder of pre-pubescent children is apparently a requirement of certain ritual spells in Carcosa.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

I'm definitely picking this up when I next get the chance, it seems really well done.

Heck, they even have that stat increasing thing the thread was talking about earlier: Roll a d20 - if it's higher than your current stat, it goes up by 1 point.

FRINGE posted:

Why?

What I picked up from the F&F writeup was that even if you were somehow okay with the setting, the actual mechanics aren't that great. The fact that the setting is pretty cross-legs-uncomfortable itself is just another ding against it.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Covok posted:

I looked into this a bit and am a little confused. So, is the idea the playbooks give you a narrative role and customizes your class and character to better fit the role based on your responses/rolls on the chart? I was looking over the playbooks and that's the idea I got.

Also, anyone know the girl or guy who did the cover? I think it's the same person who did most of the art on The One Ring.

As I understand, the playbooks are basically a character creation workbook that gives you class choice, your ability scores (through random rolls that determine your life events) as well as skills, spells and proficiencies. They also tie you to the rest of the group (a roll might determine that you spent a lot of time playing games with one of the other characters, giving you +2 Dex and the character on your right +1 Dex) and the town (which is basically created through character creation: if a roll on one of the lifepaths determines that you're off to be married to the Miller's family, it tells you that there's a Miller in town).

It's such a neat system that I'm stealing some of it for my mythical Scandinavia game that I'm running for a bunch of kids at the school I work at.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I finished reading Into The Odd, and while it's a little less crunchy than I'd like it looks awesome. If you're curious or on the fence, have a look for the free "oddpendium". There's a dungeon expedition site in there called "Lair of the Gore Cloud", and the main danger seems to be a mobile mist that turns you inside out, which means that song is now stuck in my head.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

FRINGE posted:

IIRC the mechanic that I heard about it in a review that made me immediately drop the thought of ever buying it was at the beginning of every encounter everyone on both sides rerolls their hit dice and randomly determines the damage dice of their attack. At that point why even bother to keep D&D's combat system?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not going to delve any deeper into Carcosa, but if you want to do a mix of science fantasy and planetary romance with Cthulhu thrown in, I suggest giving your money to Goblinoid Games: Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future are fully compatible and are easily mashed together, and they've also got Realms of Crawling Chaos which adapts stuff from the Cthulhu mythos into the Labyrinth Lord system. It gives you all the building blocks to make a Carcosa of your own.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Dungeon Crawl Classics does it rather well also, heck most Retroclones that aren't really setting specific can be modded to do this sort of thing rather easily

Olympia
Jan 9, 2014
Level 36 Jock

Ratpick posted:

I'm not going to delve any deeper into Carcosa, but if you want to do a mix of science fantasy and planetary romance with Cthulhu thrown in, I suggest giving your money to Goblinoid Games: Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future are fully compatible and are easily mashed together, and they've also got Realms of Crawling Chaos which adapts stuff from the Cthulhu mythos into the Labyrinth Lord system. It gives you all the building blocks to make a Carcosa of your own.

Back of the Mutant Future rulebook also has rules about mixing Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future titled Mutants & Mazes. They are not just easily compatible but the support is built right in to the rules. I also think lot of Mutant Future monsters are just plain better than stuff you encounter in Carcosa.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

drrockso20 posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics does it rather well also, heck most Retroclones that aren't really setting specific can be modded to do this sort of thing rather easily

When Mutant Crawl Classics comes out, it will do it extra better. There are also rayguns and stuff like that in Peril on the Purple Planet.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

When Mutant Crawl Classics comes out, it will do it extra better. There are also rayguns and stuff like that in Peril on the Purple Planet.

I'm intrigued: I actually looked at Dungeon Crawl Classics while it was still being playtested and liked what I saw, so I went ahead and bought a set of Zocchi dice. By the time it came out my excitement had lessened and when I saw it was a big fuckhuge book I ignored it. Is Mutant Crawl Classics going to be a self-contained game or will it require DCC to play?

I'm actually debating whether I should get DCC after all. Even though I mostly play very rules light dungeon crawlers these days I also have a soft spot for old-school RPGs with very baroque rules.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Ratpick posted:

I'm intrigued: I actually looked at Dungeon Crawl Classics while it was still being playtested and liked what I saw, so I went ahead and bought a set of Zocchi dice. By the time it came out my excitement had lessened and when I saw it was a big fuckhuge book I ignored it. Is Mutant Crawl Classics going to be a self-contained game or will it require DCC to play?

I'm actually debating whether I should get DCC after all. Even though I mostly play very rules light dungeon crawlers these days I also have a soft spot for old-school RPGs with very baroque rules.

Honestly the rules for DCC are not baroque at all. Most of the gigantic size of the book is due to all the spell tables that wizards and clerics roll on whenever they cast, which makes magic more interesting than just fire and forget. DCC actually does a decent job, now that I think about it, of capturing that idea I mentioned earlier, of a game that is about discrete powers for wizards and freeform physical stuff for warriors, due to the Mighty Deeds of Arms mechanic. You narrate doing something cool , and if you succeed on a Deed roll, you pull it off. No limitations, you can do it with every attack. Now, much of that is still up to the GM, but I honestly can't picture someone who is deeply interested in making sure that warriors can't swing off the chandelier and kick the monster off the cliff playing DCC, but that might just be me.

I only witnessed a couple playtests of MCC, and I forgot to ask Jim Wampler about it, but if it's anything like the two other campaign books for DCC I'm familiar with (Tales from the Fallen Empire and Transylvanian Adventures, which are sword & sorcery and Hammer horror respectively) it'll probably require the corebook.

DCC has really proven itself to be an interesting game, love it or hate it. I'm working on updating the synopsis for the OP of the thread, now that the shock of the goofy "Ye must proveith thine masterye of yon sacred ancient textes of Lord Gygaxe" intro has long worn off.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 12, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dungeon Crawl Classics is not quite a retroclone, and it's not quite a totally new game. It's more about attempting to capture the essence of "Appendix N adventure" through a combination of mechanics both familiar and new than slavishly recreating any particular edition of D&D. It also does that job through art, tone and atmosphere. (How's this, RH? Would you like me to mention specific mechanics that support this idea?)

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 12, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

By the way one of the ideals of Dungeon Crawl Classics that I think always gets obscured by the spell tables, the goofy dice and the funnel is that cool stuff isn't and shouldn't be cordoned off behind a gate saying "Level 10+" (It helps of course that the level cap is 10 and that each level is more powerful than in most D&D-alikes)

Look at the intro for the Level 1 adventure Intrigue at the Court of Chaos for example:

quote:

Intrigue At the Court of Chaos embraces one of the fundamental differences that makes Dungeon Crawl Classics RPG unique among other fantasy role-playing games: There’s no need to wait for the PCs to become high-level heroes before embarking on adventures that span the cosmos! The PCs’ enemies in this adventure are not mere goblins raiding farm communities, but extra-planar entities, some of whom have a direct hand in the struggle between the forces of Law, Chaos, and Neutrality. From its very beginning, Intrigue At the Court of Chaos has the PCs traveling the multiverse, visiting the Planes of Chaos and Law, and negotiating (and often battling) with the otherworldly beingsthat call these dimensions their homes. A far cry from just another fight with kobolds over a handful of copper pieces! In the course of their multi-planar adventure, the PCs have the opportunity to earn the gratitude of powerful beings… and perhaps the animosity, too, if they’re not careful. However events unfold, Intrigue At the Court of Chaos is bound to be an adventure the players will remember—fondly or otherwise— from the early days of their adventurers’ careers.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 12, 2015

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Lord posted:

By the way one of the ideals of Dungeon Crawl Classics that I think always gets obscured by the spell tables, the goofy dice and the funnel is that cool stuff isn't and shouldn't be cordoned off behind a gate saying "Level 10+" (It helps of course that the level cap is 10 and that each level is more powerful than in most D&D-alikes)

Look at the intro for the Level 1 adventure Intrigue at the Court of Chaos for example:

I ran this for my players and friends and they loved it. Most notable was our Dwarf vomiting up a rainbow bridge.

I echo what the above have been saying about DCC. The book looks huge only because of the Spells list. Take that out and I bet its about 160 pages of actual rules. Not bad at all really.

obeyasia fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 13, 2015

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Honestly, my biggest problem with DCC is the way it treats armour - I mean, balance I can understand, but having worn chain and knowing people who've worn considerably heavier armour, I can honestly say that armour in general no where near as cumbersome as DCC would make it look...

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What is Mutant Crawl Classics -- sci or supers? -- and is the playtest doc public?

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hectorgrey posted:

Honestly, my biggest problem with DCC is the way it treats armour - I mean, balance I can understand, but having worn chain and knowing people who've worn considerably heavier armour, I can honestly say that armour in general no where near as cumbersome as DCC would make it look...

Could you go into more detail? The penalty to checks didn't seem too crazy to me.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DnDClassics is having a sale until Feb 22. Notably, the Rules Cyclopedia is as low as 5 bucks and a 1981 Basic and Expert books are even cheaper.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics is not quite a retroclone, and it's not quite a totally new game. It's more about attempting to capture the essence of "Appendix N adventure" through a combination of mechanics both familiar and new than slavishly recreating any particular edition of D&D. It also does that job through art, tone and atmosphere.

obeyasia posted:

Here's my copy for DCC:

DCC is a d20 system with some strong relation to 1ed/2ed, despite referencing 3ed by its creator.
Stats are rolled - Character creation is fast, simple and random. Impossible to “power-game!”
7 classic classes - Warrior, Thief, Cleric, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, & Wizard.
And the whole thing just gets really down right weird most of the time: Feed a mysterious box blood every hour or unleash an awful demon! An ancient Reindeer Wizard is stealing children’s souls for Christmas!
If using your brains and testing your luck appeal more than having every magic item under the sun, this is the game for you.
Survival is a real feat, as death can come swift and brutal. But it’s a bit like a horror movie where seeing how people die is part of the fun.
Magic is unpredictable and often hilarious in its ability for overkill.
Gods can actually be called upon for real favors, foes smote and needs fulfilled.
For you old-school gamers, this is a very Appendix-N inspired game. Creatures are strange, magic is rare & dangerous, NPCs are dodgy and everything wants you dead.
There’s no inve$tment for new players, as all that’s needed to play is for the Judge(GM) to have a core rule book.

You did it, You're in the OP...!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

obeyasia posted:

I ran this for my players and friends and they loved it. Most notable was our Dwarf vomiting up a rainbow bridge.

I echo what the above have been saying about DCC. The book looks huge only because of the Spells list. Take that out and I bet its about 160 pages of actual rules. Not bad at all really.

The part where the adventure suggests the players get out some clay and mold it into shapes to represent primordial Chaos is particularly inspired.

Covok posted:

What is Mutant Crawl Classics -- sci or supers? -- and is the playtest doc public?

It's essentially Gamma World for DCC, and it's being developed by Jim Wampler right now. He's run it at some cons, but there's no public playtest doc at the moment, since I believe it's going to come out some time in 2016.

There is Doug Kovacs art though.

hectorgrey posted:

If that's your biggest problem I take it you're a big fan of the game? :smaug: It only seems to come up during fumbles anyway.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

You did it, You're in the OP...!

:kiddo:

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Feb 13, 2015

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Ratpick posted:

Speaking of new OSR games, does anyone have any insights on Beyond the Wall?
http://www.flatlandgames.com/btw/

It's an OSR game heavily inspired by the likes of Ursula LeGuin and others, the key thing being that the characters are all young-ish people who grew up in the same village and went on an adventure together. The mechanics seem to be based on B/X, but the classes have been reduced to Warrior, Rogue and Mage. There's also playbooks, which are basically pre-fab starting character sets, which are used to determine your starting class, equipment, and also contain a life-path system for determining your most important life events as well as important relationships within your village.

Spells are divided into cantrips (which you can cast any time), spells (these might be vancian fire and forget spells but I'm not sure) and rituals (essentially spells that require a bigger time investment but have greater effects). It looks really interesting and the art is amazing.

Beyond the Wall basically takes the 'adventure design' you'd normally associate with Dungeon World, where interesting leading questions are asked of the players so that their characters are tied to a setting in fairly involved ways and a lot of the adventure is simply built out of their answers, and marries it to OSR semi-random tables. So, you get the benefits of player-investment-in-setting and collaborative worldbuilding coupled with decently designed tables that do a lot of the heavy creative lifting that otherwise can make *W games a bit offputting to new players.

I like it a lot, though frankly I usually just use Beyond the Wall for the setting-building and use the rules of Dungeon World or Whitehack for actual play.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I still want to try playing Beyond the Wall. I tried running it once or twice but it died real soon. Kind of surprising we don't seem to get more OSR/similar "retroclone" style games run on the forums more often. Since we have this thread that seems to be posted in fairly often.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The pro-click OSR generator site Wizardawn is back under a new host:

http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Well, I learned that Ten Foot Pole is run by the dude who did that 4e book burning party, so I need to find another source of in-depth, critical reviews of old-school styled modules. Anyone got a favorite?

Ryuujin posted:

I still want to try playing Beyond the Wall. I tried running it once or twice but it died real soon. Kind of surprising we don't seem to get more OSR/similar "retroclone" style games run on the forums more often. Since we have this thread that seems to be posted in fairly often.

Yeah, I really need to run DCC through here.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The pro-click OSR generator site Wizardawn is back under a new host:

http://wizardawn.and-mag.com/

I've used Wizardawn so much that every part of my body is thankful that it's back.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Are there currently any games that emphasize the danger and hazards of long distance travel? I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of trying to find a way to smash elements of the Oregon Trail into hex-crawl style gameplay.

The idea of an adventuring party travelling in a Conestoga wagon full of stolen treasure and barrels of beer and salt pork just seems fun to me. What could compare with the thrill of having your character successfully save vs. dysentery or the agony of watching 3 valuable barrels full of food get ruined after an ill-fated attempt to ford a river?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bob Quixote posted:

Are there currently any games that emphasize the danger and hazards of long distance travel? I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of trying to find a way to smash elements of the Oregon Trail into hex-crawl style gameplay.

The idea of an adventuring party travelling in a Conestoga wagon full of stolen treasure and barrels of beer and salt pork just seems fun to me. What could compare with the thrill of having your character successfully save vs. dysentery or the agony of watching 3 valuable barrels full of food get ruined after an ill-fated attempt to ford a river?

Torchbearer would probably be your best bet.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Bob Quixote posted:

The One Ring: Into the Wild has an interesting set of journey rules. But the setting baggage is, for good reason, pretty heavy.

So,

Evil Mastermind posted:

Torchbearer would probably be your best bet.

I've long been obsessed with an Atari designer named Danielle Bunten because she designed games that were pretty RPGlike where combat wasn't the focus. So one of my backburner ideas has always been to make an rpg based on The Seven Cities of Gold or Heart of Africa (or even MULE). Preferably with less colonialism overtones though. My current take on this is that the player's will be the managers of a Chinese trading company on the silk road.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, I really need to run DCC through here.

I'd definitely be down for that. Been wanting to try DCC as a player with a good group for a while, but it'd always seemed like a chore to run. It would be especially cool to run the 0-level funnel.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hell is making a merfolk bard in AD&D 1st (It's apparently a "Thing" about AD&D that I missed the bard being this superclass, so basically the DM Is allowing me to roll with it by having a Druid with Bard Hit Die for untill I hit Lv 9) with a PDF that's corrupted on all the Bard Tables and the best next option is buying a £30 sourcebook when you're a big tablet and PDF individual.

Thanks for nothing, WoTC.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Feb 15, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Hell is making a merfolk bard in AD&D 1st (It's apparently a "Thing" about AD&D that I missed the bard being this superclass, so basically the DM Is allowing me to roll with it by having a Druid with Bard Hit Die for untill I hit Lv 9) with a PDF that's corrupted on all the Bard Tables and the best next option is buying a £30 sourcebook when you're a big tablet and PDF individual.

Thanks for nothing, WoTC.
Man. The 1e PHBs used to be like 2 bux. Now theyre all 15+ on Amazon.

You can get a "new" copy of the best PHB for only 70! http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons-Players-Handbook/dp/0880387165/

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Literally the only D&D book I ever got for free.

e: Admittedly I ended up spending about 100x more on that edition than any other so joke's on me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Somebody had one of those Judges Guild Revisited adventures on amazon for $5000 a couple of weeks ago, seems to have vanished now. Hopefully because it was a joke posting...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Literally the only D&D book I ever got for free.

e: Admittedly I ended up spending about 100x more on that edition than any other so joke's on me.
I struggle with Planescape. Its not like I have time to play, but I cant bring myself to sell the stuff even when it hits 300-per on occasion.

edit: looks like Hellbound is the only one thats 300 right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FRINGE posted:

I struggle with Planescape. Its not like I have time to play, but I cant bring myself to sell the stuff even when it hits 300-per on occasion.

edit: looks like Hellbound is the only one thats 300 right now.

I've got the core set and planes of chaos and planes of conflict right here on the shelf and sometimes I think "a thousand dollars would buy me a really kickass bass guitar" but ain't no way I'm parting with these nerd books.

e: Got pretty close last year when I needed to spend money on the car, but goddamn, planescape is my favorite.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 15, 2015

• Locked thread