Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I really don't get why they didn't give you a different bonus for killing Aryan. Only giving you a bonus for one choice is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Lycus posted:

I really don't get why they didn't give you a different bonus for killing Aryan. Only giving you a bonus for one choice is bad.

I don't agree, then you get into Bioware territory. Maybe not so bad like the fact that your choice with the Racketbug Queen doesn't matter, but sometimes getting nothing instead of something is a consequence and a lot of The Witcher is consequences. Seems appropriately Witchery to sometimes give you nothing for your troubles.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I don't agree, then you get into Bioware territory. Maybe not so bad like the fact that your choice with the Racketbug Queen doesn't matter, but sometimes getting nothing instead of something is a consequence and a lot of The Witcher is consequences. Seems appropriately Witchery to sometimes give you nothing for your troubles.

I don't think different gameplay bonuses for different decisions is Bioware territory at all. Bioware territory is just about different choices not meaningfully changing the story.

Only giving a gameplay bonus for one choice gives the impression that its the "correct" choice, which I consider unWitchery.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Alpha Protocol handled it the best way, literally everything you did gave you a tiny bonus, so you were always being rewarded without any choices being "right". That way you could do whatever you wanted, without being concerned that you were missing out on some sweet loot for not doing what the designers wanted.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also you could literally introduce yourself to a guy by slamming his head into the bar.

Is it too late to add this or will that be EE territory?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I can confirm that heads do get slammed in Witcher 3, but I cannot recall if any of them are specifically used as a character introduction.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I can confirm that heads do get slammed in Witcher 3, but I cannot recall if any of them are specifically used as a character introduction.

Geralt prefers to introduce himself with a different kind of slamming.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Crappy Jack posted:

Geralt prefers to introduce himself with a different kind of slamming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9FImc2LOr8

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Despite buying it within the month it came out, I'm only now starting the Witcher 2. I've heard varying opinions on the combat; should I just go for the rebalance mod right off the bat? Or is it better to experience the game as it was originally made?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mordja posted:

Despite buying it within the month it came out, I'm only now starting the Witcher 2. I've heard varying opinions on the combat; should I just go for the rebalance mod right off the bat? Or is it better to experience the game as it was originally made?

I personally wouldn't recommend the mod.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

For shame.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mordja posted:

Try it out and see how much you like rolling around on the ground like you're taking a dust bath. I thought it was loving retarded and it took me out of character, so I switched to easy after the tentacle monster so I could just button mash everything, but YMMV. I'm on a 360 so I didn't have the option to install the mod to make the combat not terrible.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I strongly strongly advocate for not using the mod on a first playthrough, it makes combat (arguably) better but it doesn't play nicely with the rest of the game systems.

The combat in W2, to my tastes, isn't bad, but it's also not "good". Feel free to play around with the difficulty settings until you are having fun. It's not dark souls, I don't really think there's any gamer cred here to worry about.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Did you just post something about your company that wasn't 100% positive? :stonk:

Must be nice working at CDPR.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Did you just post something about your company that wasn't 100% positive? :stonk:

Comte, what's the official party line of the sexy cards these days? :D

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Some dude has to sit there and critique another dude's titty drawings with sincerity. It's just like DeviantArt.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

He's always been saying that he had reservations about the first two games.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Our CEO has done interviews where he basically said the same thing, so I'm not particularly worried that I'm going to have to explain myself to HR.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So as a quest designer do you get to do any of the basic inconsequential writing poo poo or is it (I would assume this) that they write poo poo and say, "Geralt needs to kill some harpies and find a bottle in their nest for a kid. Go find a nice location."?

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Will the story progress in chapters with branching paths again?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What's the deal wit the notice board quest descriptions in that extended gameplay video you put out a few weeks ago? Are those actual quests or some lighthearted fun with filler text? I liked the one about the old viking who wants to go die fighting.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cool beans, I'll keep it vanilla then.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Sorry to disappoint, but I can't talk about Witcher 3 details.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Will I still feel guilty if I sleep with Ves while Triss is away?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Will I still feel guilty if I sleep with Ves while Triss is away?

Triss manipulated a mentally impaired amnesiac into thinking that she used to be his girlfriend, I'm not saying you shouldn't feel guilty, but there's not a lot of moral high-ground in that relationship.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the deal wit the notice board quest descriptions in that extended gameplay video you put out a few weeks ago? Are those actual quests or some lighthearted fun with filler text? I liked the one about the old viking who wants to go die fighting.

I think in Witcher 2 it worked the same, there were several board notices but only a few were actual side jobs, the rest were flavor. I remember being stumped by it the first time, though. "Uhh I could swear I took 4 notices, all that sounded like possible jobs for me, why I only have 2 new quests?"

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

if CDPR thought that the combat in Witcher 2 was totally 100% perfect, it would mean the combat system in Witcher 3 would be exactly the same. What's there to improve? If it's changed, we can imagine they also thought it could be improved.

In other words, it isn't so strange.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I'm totally fine with rolling around like an idiot so I honestly won't give a poo poo if W3 combat is more of the same. I might be the minority for thinking that though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I enjoyed TW2's combat to a degree but there's a difference between learning a combat system and learning how to accommodate the combat system. I hope 3's is one I can just play with rather than around.

Also my earlier comment was way tongue-in-cheek, Jesus. Any company that legally binds you from having an opinion is a Bad Company (TM).

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
gently caress rolling on the ground, I set combat to easy and take the whirlwind thingy in the sword skill tree and right click swing my sword around like an idiot, smacking nekkers and harpies around like the little bitches they are. then you get both the multi kill adrenaline thing and heliotrope sign thing and spam that poo poo with mad adrenaline boosting mutations. ALSO i just beat the siege of vergen and I think I must have force pushed 50 guys off the wall with Aard sign. witcher 2 is truly the best game of its kind since baldur's gate 2.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
So I've finished TW2 three times now. I've quit on Act 3 of TW1 three times now (after slogging through the swamp, only to have to go back...).

After my latest TW2 run finished up last night, I decided I wanted to give TW1 one last try. The combat is way worse than I remember... but not something I can't get used to. That said, is FCR worth it? I'm not really interested in some overly difficult rebalancing that forces me to use alchemy. I worry it's going to change too much.

Also, while TW2 isn't exactly the pinnacle of voice acting, TW1's is way worse than I remember. At least in the prologue.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

knob posted:

So I've finished TW2 three times now. I've quit on Act 3 of TW1 three times now (after slogging through the swamp, only to have to go back...).

After my latest TW2 run finished up last night, I decided I wanted to give TW1 one last try. The combat is way worse than I remember... but not something I can't get used to. That said, is FCR worth it? I'm not really interested in some overly difficult rebalancing that forces me to use alchemy. I worry it's going to change too much.

Also, while TW2 isn't exactly the pinnacle of voice acting, TW1's is way worse than I remember. At least in the prologue.

Put it on easy, max Igni so your sword sets people on fire, right-click your way to victory.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

There are two mods that would convince me to replay The Witcher 1:

Geralt automatically draws his sword when a conversation turns into a fight, and keeps his sword drawn in dangerous areas until you tell him otherwise.

NPC's never finish a conversation off their own accord and go through a lengthy sit down / lie down animation.

Just those two would be enough to make the game tolerable.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp
i remember keeping my sword drawn as often as possible due to one stance making you run considerably faster than the other stances like a cs knife

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
Well, after posting about how I don't want fcr out of fear of it changing too much, I've been sucked down a deep hole of cheating mods. Best swords, best armor, unlimited money, faster running... I'm not sure how to feel. The game hasn't aged all that well, so this lets me get through it quick, but the guilt is overwhelming

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Oh cool this has its own thread now. So let's talk about The Witcher 2 instead.

I've played this game entirely too much (multiple playthoughs for each side) and I've gotta say, as much as I see the sentiment "Roche is a huge bro"...after multiple playthroughs, I don't really agree anymore. On replays, when some of the novelty of the prison break and stuff is gone, Roche actually comes off as callously manipulative of everyone around him, including Geralt. I mean Iorveth is a dick to you at first, but at least he's up front about it. I'm not sure people were really supposed to like Roche as much as they ended up doing. I mean, the dude tortures a priest to death a few minutes into his introduction. He does it off screen, but it still comes up, and Roche seems to think it's funny.

I really think Saskia (and maybe Geralt) were the only genuinely good people in the whole story.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

In addition to Saskia, nearly all the dwarven characters seem like a good bunch of guys.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Zoltan and Yarpen are way more solid bros than Roche or Iorveth, really.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
What becomes of Anais if I chose to save Triss instead? I'm trying to do a worst possible playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Bit O Vitriol
Jan 10, 2010

Khagan posted:

What becomes of Anais if I chose to save Triss instead? I'm trying to do a worst possible playthrough.

Roche rescues her without your help but at the cost of Dethmold escaping

• Locked thread