Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.
I had a fun game the other day as the wraith. Whenever I got domed, I just sent an illusion out and sat behind a wall while they looked in the opposite direction. After about twenty plus seconds, they would come near me again, and I'd send out another clone. This happened too often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Just got a great few rounds in. I'm getting pretty decent at Medic- I can keep distance while still keeping my team topped off, and I'm actually decent at sniping. It's a good time. Val's still my favorite between her and Laz- that tranq gun is just way too important to give up on.

Also, got my first real round as monster in(Goliath). It was about 15, maybe 20 minutes long. Their trapper kept just barely missing me with the arena, and I'd be able to keep building up more or less in peace. However, they started thinning out what I could eat before I got to 3, so I let them trap me in a small area, and destroyed them where they couldn't get away, couldn't create distance, where I could charge into them all day.

They ended up running halfway through that- I took 2 of them, but the others were gone by the time I finished them off. But it got me enough to get to 3.

I then killed a few more things to get my armor to max, and made my way to the power relay. Those 2 had about 20 seconds left to live when I got there, so I got it a quarter down- but then they all got in on me. We then had a hell of a battle- god drat is the monster a tough, scary son of a bitch at level 3. I was taking out more than half their health nearly every time I looked at them, and they couldn't stay up to save their life.Only the medic knew how to fight me properly, so I just killed everyone else. Val doesn't heal enough to stop a level 3 from completely murdering.

It was a hell of a match.

Edit: For the record, I took someone's advice and went 2 into 1 ability and 1 into another for level 1. This way, I had level 3 charge by level 2, and at level 3 I had level 3 fire breath too. Your range means NOTHING to me.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Mr.Citrus posted:

Killing the Trapper stops thunderdome. If your armor is under 1/3 its your best bet.

And if you've gotta fight, support is first down. That shield is impossible to get through, healing doesn't do enough to really warrant first-kill.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Turtlicious posted:

I am surprised every time I play as Kraken and Goliath just how clueless hunters are. They never look up and they never check around corners, multiple times at level 1 I've just charged into a full group of them and then rock thrown after all 4 walked RIGHT PAST me.

They will also blunder right into birds, allowing you to set yourself up for when they come.

You know the aviary map, with the biodomes and the tunnels to the outside snowy areas? My favourite thing to do on that map is to go through a tunnel, then jump on top of the tunnel, and watch as all the hunters go past, and then sneak back through the tunnel.

It's so amazin'.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

I loving love playing as the Kraken. Hes loving insane, poo poo blowing up all over the place.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I just had the best match as Kraken. Their Assault was right on top of me the entire time except twice when I barely managed to shake them, which was just enough to get to level 3. I downed the Assault last, barely, with like a fifth of a health bar remaining.

They managed to stay in the air for an obscene amount of time. Like, 15+ seconds, while jetting up and away from me, and regularly going above the Kraken's effective flight ceiling. Is there a set of perks that lets you do that? Maybe they got one of the Albinos, coupled with the jetpack perk? It felt like they were cheating, except they did eventually come back down.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Brackhar posted:

After playing the game some more with a party I'm warming up to it. Yeah, the game has some flaws that it really shouldn't have, especially system design side, but it's quite good fun playing with friends when everyone has mics. I still need to get a full 5 man custom going to see how that experience is when the monster and hunters can crosstalk, but otherwise I'll definitely be playing more.

Also, we need more people in the goon steam chat for games. There were only 9 or so in this evening. It makes it difficult to get pick ups going!

"but is fun with friends!" - many goons excuse of choice for defending lovely multiplayer games

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

qnqnx posted:

"but is fun with friends!" - many goons excuse of choice for defending lovely multiplayer games

It's why we play borderlands. This checks out.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

qnqnx posted:

this was the dying retort of the sad fuckers who play Destiny and now look, it's in the most boring pitiless throes of its existence. my friends and I eventually had to stop playing with this one dude who plays nothing but Destiny every goddamn day even though it's the same poo poo over and over. I suppose this would be nice to play with others but I doubt they'd be as stupid to buy it now at 60 bux or later at 20 and with a depleted userbase

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Eye of Widesauron posted:

It's why we play borderlands. This checks out.

jokes on you, borderlands is good and most of my hours were solo play

MinibarMatchman posted:

this was the dying retort of the sad fuckers who play Destiny and now look, it's in the most boring pitiless throes of its existence. my friends and I eventually had to stop playing with this one dude who plays nothing but Destiny every goddamn day even though it's the same poo poo over and over. I suppose this would be nice to play with others but I doubt they'd be as stupid to buy it now at 60 bux or later at 20 and with a depleted userbase
evolve's destiny

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

qnqnx posted:

jokes on you, borderlands is good and most of my hours were solo play

evolve's destiny

the only way evolve could be destiny is if your weapons, like destiny, became invalid every few months and need a convoluted process to upgrade and a random occurrence with a stupid npc that's only there for like 2 days a time. nothing, not even the grinding to get characters in evolve, is as bad as destiny

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
The difference is that Destiny didn't really change with close teamwork. Evolve does- it's an entirely different game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

quaunaut posted:

The difference is that Destiny didn't really change with close teamwork. Evolve does- it's an entirely different game.

yeah that's true, you could have one guy literally carry the others in Strikes or even multiplayer matches and bad players wouldn't truly hinder experiences too much due to Bounties. with Evolve, you have a bad Trapper who can't dome and you're flat hosed. Like anyone besides Assault who's playing poorly can really tank the team quickly because you need to be able to kite Monsters in battles with shields, healing, or harpoon traps.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

MinibarMatchman posted:

yeah that's true, you could have one guy literally carry the others in Strikes or even multiplayer matches and bad players wouldn't truly hinder experiences too much due to Bounties. with Evolve, you have a bad Trapper who can't dome and you're flat hosed. Like anyone besides Assault who's playing poorly can really tank the team quickly because you need to be able to kite Monsters in battles with shields, healing, or harpoon traps.

I mean, even without doming Hunters can win, but they really need to be on top of their distance game. One of the maps it's still not great on, since the Power Relay is in a small enclosed area, but most I've seen have the Power Relay in an open area where you can spread out and frustrate him really badly.

Honestly, who is most important on the team changes a lot depending on team composition. For example, you can get away with a bad trapper if you're on your game when it comes to movement, and your medic is Val(TRAAAAAAAAANQ).

And honestly- I think everyone undervalues a good Hank. That shield is unreal in how powerful it is- it's easily more powerful than any medic, by itself, as long as he can keep himself safe. A strong medic/Hank team I bet could two-man a level 3 monster, given enough skill.

Edit: And a general idea of when what classes are most important:

Level 1: Trapper > All
Level 2: Trapper + Val
Level 3: Support + Medic

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Cheston posted:

I just had the best match as Kraken. Their Assault was right on top of me the entire time except twice when I barely managed to shake them, which was just enough to get to level 3. I downed the Assault last, barely, with like a fifth of a health bar remaining.

They managed to stay in the air for an obscene amount of time. Like, 15+ seconds, while jetting up and away from me, and regularly going above the Kraken's effective flight ceiling. Is there a set of perks that lets you do that? Maybe they got one of the Albinos, coupled with the jetpack perk? It felt like they were cheating, except they did eventually come back down.

Perks don't stack with buffs of the same kind, and jetpacks don't recharge while you're in the air, so yeah, that must've been the jump height buff. I think it gives something silly like 400% more height.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm having a decent time farting around in this, but I loving hate when games separate the playable classes behind stuff like what they do here. Want to be Bucket? Have fun unlocking him! want to be the final assault class? Enjoy getting there!

The game is fun so I don't mind, it's just annoying not being able to play the class you want at start.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

qnqnx posted:

I don't care if someone's sole enjoyment in life comes from marathoning the COD catalogue, there's nothing more pathetic then taking the time to go into threads for games you don't like and being judgemental at other people over what loving video games they enjoy.

I get actual discussion over the critical merits of a game, or expressing disappointment/ anger in a game you spent money on and hate. But this trying to tell other people that they don't actually enjoy something or that they're stupid for enjoying something is some grade A needing to feel superior to others over video game preferences bullshit.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Don't know if it has been posted, but you can change the FoV by creating 'autoexec.cfg' in Steamapps\common\EvolveGame\ -- and add:

cl_fov_merc = <from 60 to 120>
cl_fov_monsterThirdPerson = <from 60 to 120>

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So this game seems pretty fun - the Giant Bomb guys seem to enjoy it! Is this the kind of game I can get away with using a controller on PC? This strikes me as the kind of game best played while reclined in a comfortable stupor

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

The Grumbles posted:

So this game seems pretty fun - the Giant Bomb guys seem to enjoy it! Is this the kind of game I can get away with using a controller on PC? This strikes me as the kind of game best played while reclined in a comfortable stupor

I can't say to how well the aiming is with hunters using a controller, but I use one whenever I play monster just fine.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Turra posted:

I can't say to how well the aiming is with hunters using a controller, but I use one whenever I play monster just fine.

It adds a little aim assist when you use a controller as the hunters.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Jarmak posted:

I don't care if someone's sole enjoyment in life comes from marathoning the COD catalogue, there's nothing more pathetic then taking the time to go into threads for games you don't like and being judgemental at other people over what loving video games they enjoy.

I get actual discussion over the critical merits of a game, or expressing disappointment/ anger in a game you spent money on and hate. But this trying to tell other people that they don't actually enjoy something or that they're stupid for enjoying something is some grade A needing to feel superior to others over video game preferences bullshit.
:rolleyes:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

snodig posted:

Don't know if it has been posted, but you can change the FoV by creating 'autoexec.cfg' in Steamapps\common\EvolveGame\ -- and add:

cl_fov_merc = <from 60 to 120>
cl_fov_monsterThirdPerson = <from 60 to 120>

Eff yes, thank you!

If it helps anyone else, I'm back to running max settings without crashes on an AMD 7970 and 60hz screen. I don't know exactly what did it but all at once I:

1) Re-installed everything in the redist folder in the install directory, 2) Added sys_maxfps = 60 in the system.cfg, 3) Set it to fullscreen windowed mode.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I play trapper too much. Ended up randoming my way into playing medic one round last night. I'm running around being aggressive and speedy and ended up being the first one to find the monster... but oh, right, I'm freaking Val, I don't have a dome. The idiot assault that kept up with me went and got himself pounced by the monster, and because I can't do damage to interrupt him there wasn't anything I could do.

We lost pretty quickly.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Is it just me or is Hyde just straight better than Markov?

The flame thrower does straight up more damage than the lightening gun at the expensive of needing to actually aim.

The mini gun loses out at range for a lot higher medium range damage potential, but you almost never want to engage at really long range anyway. It just alerts the monster which jumps / floats away.

The gas grenade does really high damage to a wide area, and has zero arming time. It's only less useful than arc mines in defending the power relay.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Markov has a better accent.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Mr.Citrus posted:

Is it just me or is Hyde just straight better than Markov?

The flame thrower does straight up more damage than the lightening gun at the expensive of needing to actually aim.

The mini gun loses out at range for a lot higher medium range damage potential, but you almost never want to engage at really long range anyway. It just alerts the monster which jumps / floats away.

The gas grenade does really high damage to a wide area, and has zero arming time. It's only less useful than arc mines in defending the power relay.

Yeah Markov's only nice thing is those mines but to be fair they are really nice

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The trick to the mines is using them as cover- hunters can hide behind them and the monster has to *really think* about charging over the mines to get to priority targets, which if nothing else will buy a second of hesitation.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
I played a couple sets of Evacuation last night, one as Goliath and the other bouncing between Cabot and Abe. As long as you stay focused, it's pretty much guaranteed that playing a full set of Evacuation is enough to unlock the next tier of character for whoever you're playing. It was especially easy with the monster - use your abilities on wildlife as often as possible and you'll have them ranked up in no time. Special thanks to jsr for turning me onto Vortex supremacy with the Kraken.

I was only playing with random pubs, but they were actually pretty talkative and fun to shoot the poo poo with.

p.s. the advanced character video clips in the video gallery extras are actually surprisingly helpful.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Jarmak posted:

:eyepop:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jarmak posted:

lol

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Jarmak posted:

You just had to say it, didn't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7upgaUAcjbc

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Jarmak posted:

let me ask you a serious question. do you really give a poo poo what qnxnx has to say about anything? does his opinion on a video game mean anything to you? was it even necessary to acknowledge his post and type this post out? if i enjoy a video game and someone says that it sucks, i could not possibly give any less of a poo poo. thats more game for me motherfuckers.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is the archeage thread reincarnated into an FPS thread

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Jarmak posted:

I think defending it is probably just as pathetic

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idc if you play this game but, like me, if you bought this poo poo you deserve to be laughed at because it's big and dumb like a moldy cheese monolith. how can you not laugh when you see the 60 pages of dlcs on day one

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Third World Reggin posted:

I think defending it is probably just as pathetic

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

GenericOverusedName posted:

I play trapper too much. Ended up randoming my way into playing medic one round last night. I'm running around being aggressive and speedy and ended up being the first one to find the monster... but oh, right, I'm freaking Val, I don't have a dome. The idiot assault that kept up with me went and got himself pounced by the monster, and because I can't do damage to interrupt him there wasn't anything I could do.

We lost pretty quickly.

Any damage at all will interrupt a pounce, just hit it with your sniper, not your tranq gun.

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!

Kewpuh posted:

let me ask you a serious question. do you really give a poo poo what qnxnx has to say about anything? does his opinion on a video game mean anything to you? was it even necessary to acknowledge his post and type this post out? if i enjoy a video game and someone says that it sucks, i could not possibly give any less of a poo poo. thats more game for me motherfuckers.

I dunno, seems like the proof is in the pudding to me? For the first 8 hours or 10 pages of this thread's existence, it was dominated by "hurf durf aids n fags lol" threadshitters and now that they've partially chilled out with that poo poo, there's a lot more people actually coming out to talk about gameplay which is kinda the whole point of a thread about a specific game on an internet subforum about games.

tl;dr people acting like dicks for their own amusement makes others less willing to participate in a conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Eonwe posted:

this is the archeage thread reincarnated into an FPS thread

No matter how hard you try it really isn't.

• Locked thread