Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

i remember seeing a budweiser factor right next to some residential housing too one time

e:

oh yeah if you've never driven there the highways are literally spaghetti, i've never seen anything like it before (well, it's a texas in general thing but you get the idea)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the best part is for all the construction put into em, the interchanges are inefficent and a waste compared to more sensible designs.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
everybody talks about NYC and LA as the post-apocalyptic wasteland to rule with your cannibalistic biker gang, but honestly I think Houston really has some of that Southern Charm that really makes it a top tier contender for your rape gangs in the post-petroleum Flesh Wars of 2060

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

texas is a failure of texans, yes.

the various texan cities should have merged with their counties a la philadelphia or the new york boroughs did when they were still relatively small. or hell, even as indianapolis did. but they kinda halfassed the whole deal and just picked up chunks at a time, allowing flight to outpace them and denying a sensible county-wide development plan that could have corraled the sprawl somewhat.

thank you for noting that it isn't just Houston. Houston is perhaps the worst case of it but every Texas city has a sprawl problem which is starting to choke the city. some claim it is because the state is just booming too quickly for planning or anything but quick to toss up tract housing but the real reason is a lack of any attempt to plan in a coherent manner.

and once that single family housing gets built good loving luck increasing density without a massive Nimbyism fight.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

computer parts posted:

oh yeah if you've never driven there the highways are literally spaghetti, i've never seen anything like it before (well, it's a texas in general thing but you get the idea)

ever driven thru atlanta's "spaghetti junction"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah someone asked for the state with the lowest point and I know plenty of stuff on the gulf coast is below sea level.

it's california, of course (death valley, 200~ feet below sea level)

fun fact: the bottom of death valley and the top of mount whitney, the highest point in the contiguous 48 states, are like 80 miles away from each other

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

computer parts posted:

i remember seeing a budweiser factor right next to some residential housing too one time

e:

i love the gigantic rail siding. beer is one of the last products that uses 19th century distribution. it's too bulky and too heavy for anything less

edit: they still float rail cars on barges from new jersey to long island. for beer. at some point, trucks stop being an option

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

:mrgw: come to the pacific northwest for all your hiking needs

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

qirex posted:

now someone map this against diversity numbers
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/tech-companies-and-vaccines/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/11/8022411/how-many-vaccine-deniers-silicon-valley

"But Google told both The Verge and Wired that 49 percent merely reflects the use of old data."

http://valleywag.gawker.com/anti-vaxxers-theyre-in-silicon-valley-too-1683324631

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/print-edition/2011/01/14/in-autisms-storm.html?page=all

"My experience in Silicon Valley has been when this many establishment players line up against you, you are on to something big. I think you need pioneers like Andy to break glass, and unfortunately he's broken the glass and been cut by it. So pioneers are always filled with arrows in their back, and Andy's that guy. But he can obviously take it and so we're backing him."

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

it's california, of course (death valley, 200~ feet below sea level)

fun fact: the bottom of death valley and the top of mount whitney, the highest point in the contiguous 48 states, are like 80 miles away from each other

and there's a by-invitation-only ultramarathon race from one to the other :stare:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cardboard Box A posted:

"My experience in Silicon Valley has been when this many establishment players line up against you, you are on to something big. I think you need pioneers like Andy to break glass, and unfortunately he's broken the glass and been cut by it. So pioneers are always filled with arrows in their back, and Andy's that guy. But he can obviously take it and so we're backing him."

that's not so much a mixed metaphor as it is a blended metaphor

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

qntm posted:

and there's a by-invitation-only ultramarathon race from one to the other :stare:

ultramarathoners should be treated for addiction like heroin addicts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
aaaaaaaaah

Melanie’s Marvelous Measles is a book written by Stephanie Messenger who has devoted her life to educating people about vaccines and natural health choices. This book takes children on a journey to learn about vaccinations for childhood illnesses, like measles and chicken pox.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
gotta love dat encephalitis!

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

carry on then posted:

i went to college at 7000 feet, it was a p nice place and i didn't mind the thinner air at all

welp that's my story

u of wyoming?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

San Francisco real estate posted:

Incredible fixer opportunity; heavy fire damage.

$5,495,000

https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Francisco/2008-Vallejo-St-94123/home/1642339

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

meth or bitcoin

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Louisiana on a map that renders areas underwater most of the time as water:

There is a movement to get our highway signs changed to a map that looks like this to raise awareness of our shrinking coastline but lol thats too depressing.

People don't realize when they visit New Orleans that its basically an island, with parts of it of course below sea level. Only a little sliver of ground and levee around the Mississippi connects it to the rest of the state. The three big thoroughfares out are over water (1-10 towards Baton Rouge, 1-10 towards Slidell, the causeway bridge over the Pontchartrain)

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 12, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ADINSX posted:

1-10 towards Baton Rouge

here is what that looked like during hurricane isaac right before you hit laplace

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

here is what that looked like during hurricane isaac right before you hit laplace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

I was in Baton Rouge for Katrina, we got ~two weeks off at LSU and my power was only out for about 6 hours. People ask where I'm from and they always ask about the storm, and welp, thats my story!

We also ate a ton of MREs, which are gross.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
if the ocean wants louisiana back i can't think of any reason why america should stand in its way

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

infernal machines posted:

if the ocean wants louisiana back i can't think of any reason why america should stand in its way

Lets try to at least negotiate with the ocean and see if they'll take Florida instead.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ADINSX posted:

Lets try to at least negotiate with the ocean and see if they'll take Florida instead.

why stop there?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

can u even imagine what would have happened if that second hurricane would have made landfall on louisiana

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Elder Postsman posted:

welcome to beautiful houston, texas

I can actually feel the heat radiating off of all that pavement across the time and space mercifully separating me from it

also it's pronounced house-ton, teyhas

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

graph posted:

can u even imagine what would have happened if that second hurricane would have made landfall on louisiana

the forums would have been lost at sea

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Munkeymon posted:

has richard moved the servers to somewhere that is above sealevel

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Nintendo Kid posted:

case 1: houston's actual city borders:

what are the little red slivers in the top left, highways?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ADINSX posted:

that's a done deal already, just not gonna be implemented for a little while yet

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

graph posted:

it did tho

hurricane rita just annihilated rural hicks

ADINSX posted:

I was in Baton Rouge for Katrina, we got ~two weeks off at LSU and my power was only out for about 6 hours. People ask where I'm from and they always ask about the storm, and welp, thats my story!

We also ate a ton of MREs, which are gross.

same

i had disaster engineering class and we got to see a buncha hosed up pictures that year

the SA newstream was hilarious tho b/c they kept playin music over the ads like "under the sea"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

florida is pretty drat hosed because of rising sea levels. soon they won't be able to supply fresh water to miami due to saltwater infiltration of the aquifers.

the outer banks were also hosed but thankfully the NC government passed a law saying it wasn't and that's the end of that!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Munkeymon posted:

i still remember that running commentary from the lone guy left at the datacenter, talking about how the support guys for the building generator were coaching him on how to run the generator continuously, about what the streets looked like.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shifty Pony posted:

florida is pretty drat hosed because of rising sea levels. soon they won't be able to supply fresh water to miami due to saltwater infiltration of the aquifers.

the outer banks were also hosed but thankfully the NC government passed a law saying it wasn't and that's the end of that!

i wonder if disney's got some kind of master plan in place for ensuring continuity of government magic in the face of "ocean reclaims florida"

like you know if walt and the other guys from the 60s were still around they'd probably be drawing up concepts of like gigantic hydraulic lifts that would just raise the park lands above sea level or something equally off the hook

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fritz posted:

u of wyoming?

northern arizona

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

also i never realized how much houston reminds me of phoenix

my hometown gonna be a wasteland in 20 years, :rip:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i wonder if disney's got some kind of master plan in place for ensuring continuity of government magic in the face of "ocean reclaims florida"

like you know if walt and the other guys from the 60s were still around they'd probably be drawing up concepts of like gigantic hydraulic lifts that would just raise the park lands above sea level or something equally off the hook

orlando's 100 feet above sea level. are the oceans coming up that much?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

prefect posted:

in theory sea levels can rise a maximum of 260 feet but that's if every piece of ice on antarctica and greenland melts

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

they're hosed one way or the other regardless. even without sea level changes, they're basically migrating inland. they've literally had to dredge up sand to make the beaches exist again in some areas (which also hosed up some sandbars that were protecting said beaches from erosion in the first place, sooooooo)

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

computer parts posted:

in theory sea levels can rise a maximum of 260 feet but that's if every piece of ice on antarctica and greenland melts

is that also taking into account thermal expansion of the water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

prefect posted:

even if the ocean doesn't the swamped out refugees will

disneyworld needs to invest in some electric fences, concrete, and razor wire

• Locked thread