Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why have you already almost blown your food budget for Feb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janus Owl
Jan 9, 2014

RheaConfused posted:

Phew. That's cool of them, a lot of places don't do that. Sorry, it just happened to me (scrambled at the last second while out on disability to get the payment to them) and I don't want it to happen to you.

Thank you so much for reminding me. I'm glad not to have to worry about how insurance is going to work

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

n8r posted:

And his Discretionary holy cow.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013

DogsCantBudget posted:

How can one be "a month ahead" while still having any debt? Isn't the point of "your debt is an emergency" that one can't get a month ahead without having 0 debt?
Well, if he's got a payment plan for debt, then I think it's ok. Budgeting a month ahead is a huge stress reliever, and actually can help you save money. If he spends his buffer on debt and a true emergency comes up, then he's hosed.

Veskit posted:

Then I am just as confused as the other guy.
He took his buffer and used it to budget March. That's why the buffer is budgeted with a negative number, because he's using it. All income from March will be used to budget April. This is a good step to take, and will make everything easier.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

n8r posted:

Knyteguy posted:

We have a ton of premade frozen meals in the freezer. Lbs of food. We also have plenty of ingredients still (lbs of chicken and frozen veggies), so we should be good on groceries the rest of the month. We also have some frozen pizzas and such to help otherwise.
Of course the issue is that most households have some perishable staples like milk, fruit, certain veggies, eggs, etc. that pretty much need to be purchased weekly or semi-weekly, and $20 doesn't go far on those items. But he does have $73 in "restaurants." That's what he should borrow from to cover any other groceries.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Knyteguy posted:

That's what I did. That's Feb and March showing there. March is already budgeted for.
No. Go back and do that in January. You don't put the month of money into your buffer and keep playing shell games.

Old Fart, school him!

DogsCantBudget posted:

How can one be "a month ahead" while still having any debt? Isn't the point of "your debt is an emergency" that one can't get a month ahead without having 0 debt?
Yes but no - they're about to have a newborn.

Old Fart posted:

Well, if he's got a payment plan for debt, then I think it's ok. Budgeting a month ahead is a huge stress reliever, and actually can help you save money. If he spends his buffer on debt and a true emergency comes up, then he's hosed.

He took his buffer and used it to budget March. That's why the buffer is budgeted with a negative number, because he's using it. All income from March will be used to budget April. This is a good step to take, and will make everything easier.

But he could have done it last month. So do it. Then you're a month ahead now, and the budget stops looking so hosed up. You're the one who explained this to me way back! I think in this thread, in 2013.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Well I'll be damned. OK so let me cover and my rear end and say it looks like they updated rule 4 and how to do it on July 22nd and gently caress if I ever saw that. Before you would just allocate it into next months funds.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/rule-four-live-on-last-months-income

Alright the buffer makes sense and I'm in. It takes a big man to admit when he's wrong and I'm sure Sigma_X will be more than willing to.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 12, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Wow. I haven't been on YNAB's site for well over a year... How their example works makes perfect sense, but not for KG, he already had the cash saved... Couldn't he have simply done it before by emptying he efund in one month, and then allocate income to the month following month? Same thing and less moving stuff around.

I don't see the point of doing it this way, but I will readily admit KG is doing it how YNAB wants you to do it, now. After how many years of them telling everyone to do it differently... Bah!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Wow. I haven't been on YNAB's site for well over a year... How their example works makes perfect sense, but not for KG, he already had the cash saved... Couldn't he have simply done it before by emptying he efund in one month, and then allocate income to the month following month? Same thing and less moving stuff around.

I don't see the point of doing it this way, but I will readily admit KG is doing it how YNAB wants you to do it, now. After how many years of them telling everyone to do it differently... Bah!

I'm not on my home computer, but it's because YNAB wants you to zero out the month before going into the next month. Lets say you spend on average 2k a month on bills. If you didn't use the buffer method, when you go a month ahead you should show for Feb that you had 2,000 left over on the top then you'd go and budget out March. March would have zero dollars, but at the top of Feb it would show that you didn't allocate 2000 dollars of Feb money. It technically goes against what YNAB is in which you're supposed to give each dollar a job, and having them lay around doing nothing for a month is not having the dollars have a job so I'm on board with the buffer. IT would make it easier to work with too if you wanted to track the differences between buffer money and rainy day money, IE making sure you have enough to cover the day to day for 6 months and if poo poo goes down with your car.

For the record, way new method though.

Also you couldn't track how much you saved each month toward the buffer if you budgeted out past the next month.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have never tried this YNAB thing, but my impression based on people's posts around here is that it takes a simple concept like "Save up a month's worth of expenses" and turns it into this confusing, jargon-laden, absurdist financial art piece. That may be partly on Knyteguy though :haw:

Blarfy Bovine
Jun 3, 2007

2 - 3 = negative fun!

Fun Shoe
Why can't it be both? :buddy:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

slap me silly posted:

I have never tried this YNAB thing, but my impression based on people's posts around here is that it takes a simple concept like "Save up a month's worth of expenses" and turns it into this confusing, jargon-laden, absurdist financial art piece. That may be partly on Knyteguy though :haw:
YNAB is stupid but they sent me a free tshirt so o well. Also I am doing the uber-YNAB master method of living on last year's income, all you YNAB suckers should revel in my bufferdom.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

slap me silly posted:

YNAB is the Crossfit of personal finance.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

moana posted:

YNAB is stupid but they sent me a free tshirt so o well. Also I am doing the uber-YNAB master method of living on last year's income, all you YNAB suckers should revel in my bufferdom.

Ahaha, teach me your ways! (No don't, I struggle to write five sentences in a row never mind entire works)

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Oh my god this is it, thank you. Every time YNAB poo poo comes up my eyes just start glazing over and super simple budgeting concepts suddenly make no sense to me.

I'll stick with my homemade excel worksheets, thanks.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
It's easy, you just have to have such swingy income month to month that it terrifies you to spend any of it!

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Yeah that's fair. Too bad there's no Starting Strength.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I'm not on my home computer, but it's because YNAB wants you to zero out the month before going into the next month. Lets say you spend on average 2k a month on bills. If you didn't use the buffer method, when you go a month ahead you should show for Feb that you had 2,000 left over on the top then you'd go and budget out March. March would have zero dollars, but at the top of Feb it would show that you didn't allocate 2000 dollars of Feb money. It technically goes against what YNAB is in which you're supposed to give each dollar a job, and having them lay around doing nothing for a month is not having the dollars have a job so I'm on board with the buffer. IT would make it easier to work with too if you wanted to track the differences between buffer money and rainy day money, IE making sure you have enough to cover the day to day for 6 months and if poo poo goes down with your car.

For the record, way new method though.

Also you couldn't track how much you saved each month toward the buffer if you budgeted out past the next month.

e: not to just you Veskit. Yep it's just this. It's pretty much another way of doing it. And another way, which is the way we'll be doing it moving forward, is to allocate this month's income for next month.

The biggest thing I don't like about YNAB right now, is that we have to allocate our savings goals too to be a month ahead. If we hit a true emergency (lost job or something) then we wouldn't account for savings goals until the emergency was over. Our "one month ahead" buffer is realistically closer to two months ahead.

I definitely can see how rule 4 would be much more helpful for say a contractor who may make a bunch of money up front, and then may have months without more income. My wife's income is pretty variable though:

So the YNAB method will help us a little at least. Especially with her even more variable disability pay and who knows how long that will take to pay out. Now that we're "a month ahead" though, the buffer category will be hidden, and here on out the confusion will be gone.

I figure we've gone this far with YNAB we'll just stick it out. I don't want to lose all of the data we have again.

slap me silly posted:

That may be partly on Knyteguy though :haw:

:raise: I don't know what you're talking about. :c00lbutt:

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 12, 2015

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

when's the baby due?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

But he could have done it last month. So do it. Then you're a month ahead now, and the budget stops looking so hosed up. You're the one who explained this to me way back! I think in this thread, in 2013.

I'm so confused!

Shats Basoon posted:

when's the baby due?

Monday the 16th. We thought for sure she was going into labor on the 10th, but no cigar so far. I think the latest the baby can be born (via forced induction) is March 2nd. Really the sooner the better; the anticipation is killing us.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Glorious.

moana posted:

It's easy, you just have to have such swingy income month to month that it terrifies you to spend any of it!
If I had that much cash floating around I'm sure I'd spend on something. A second house maybe. But I have a pretty reliable salary, maybe that would change if I didn't.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Quick bit of news: The hospital bills will be $3701.10 according to the hospital. Our doctor fee is around $2000, but we should have already paid some of that. My wife will get more details on that tomorrow.

Also the hospital bill is quoted as that covering "everything" but I'm skeptical that that would cover anything beyond a standard delivery. Obviously it doesn't cover doctor contractors like anesthesiologists if she needs one.

My best guess is bare minimum we're liable for $6000 and that is after insurance, but again we've paid the doctor's old firm ahead of time so it should be less ($800). Again we'll find out tomorrow.

We have $5700 saved right now for hospital bills in the hsa and that refund check.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

What's the max out of pocket on your insurance? 10k?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

n8r posted:

What's the max out of pocket on your insurance? 10k?

It's $6,000 per person, $12,000 family. I'm pretty much expecting the $12,000 for all intents and purposes, but maybe we'll get away with less.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Knyteguy posted:

It's $6,000 per person, $12,000 family. I'm pretty much expecting the $12,000 for all intents and purposes, but maybe we'll get away with less.

If you have a HSA compatible plan and you are a family, generally the individual limit does not apply like it would on a non-HSA plan. (i.e. you are always going to pay 12k, even if it's just one person).

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

MrEnigma posted:

If you have a HSA compatible plan and you are a family, generally the individual limit does not apply like it would on a non-HSA plan. (i.e. you are always going to pay 12k, even if it's just one person).

Sounds like that's the case. We've got the HSA 1500 plan mentioned below.

quote:

The HSA options (HSA 1500 and HSA 2000) apply the Individual or Family Deductibles and Out-ofPocket
Maximums differently than the HRA 1000 option. For the HSA options, Deductibles and Out-ofPocket
Maximums are different depending on which coverage tier you select. If you select the "You Only"
coverage option, you will have one Deductible and Out-of-Pocket Maximum; however, you will have a
different Deductible and Out-of-Pocket Maximum if you select one of the Family coverage options: "You +
Spouse/DP," "You + Child(ren)" or "You + Family."

For example, if You enroll in "You Only" coverage under the HSA 1500, the Deductible is $1,500, but if
you enroll in "You + Spouse/DP" coverage under the HSA 1500, the Deductible is $3,000. Under the "You
+ Spouse/DP" coverage option, all expenses incurred by covered individuals contribute toward the
Deductible, so if you incur $2,500 in covered medical expenses, all $2,500 of those covered medical
expenses will apply toward the Family Deductible, and your Spouse/DP would only have to incur $500 in
covered medical expenses in order to meet the annual Deductible ($2,500 + $500 = $3,000).
Alternatively, if you or your Spouse/DP incur $3,000 in covered medical expenses, all $3,000 will apply
toward the Deductible and you will meet the Family Deductible.

So we'll hit the deductible at $3,000, and then coinsurance (plan pays 70%), and then out of pocket maximum? It doesn't seem like an accurate estimate can be made, so it seems like the out of pocket maximum should be the number that we count on paying.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Quick Q: Our dog ate our router power cord (We've started crating her if she needs to be inside and we're not home.). I've found a replacement power cord on eBay but it's 10 bucks. I was hoping I could pick one up for less. Perhaps someone who knows more than me about power adapters than me could give some insight? Is there anyway to replace our router power cord with a non-official version?

dsa-24ca-12 is the model.

edit: actually it's 8 bucks and free shipping. Maybe I should just buy it.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yes this is a case of "you should just buy it". Comes out of your discretionary category :)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IIFYB- If it fits your budget

I'm assuming it does so yeah buy it it's 8 bucks whatever.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright, I bought it. Thanks.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Please remember to come to us when the hospital and/or doctor's office screws up and tries to get you to pay too much. Remember the apartment incident. Don't just fork over your hard earned cash. Post first and give us the chance to help you.

And I'm stoked to see some cute baby pics

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Sounds like that's the case. We've got the HSA 1500 plan mentioned below.

So we'll hit the deductible at $3,000, and then coinsurance (plan pays 70%), and then out of pocket maximum? It doesn't seem like an accurate estimate can be made, so it seems like the out of pocket maximum should be the number that we count on paying.

It's not clear from the costs you gave recently if they were accounting for your insurance coverage with these figures. If they were not accounting for insurance you'd figure you're on the hook for $3k + 30% of the remaining ~$2700. If the total cost is ~$10k you're on the hook for for about $5100. According to :google: the average vaginal birth is $18k (before all the insurance silliness kicks in).

It's probably far too late for this, but I'd bet that Reno is a big enough place that you could have shopped around for where to have the kid. Part of the point of HSAs was to do exactly this (maybe you did shop around, if so nice work). The higher deductible levers more financial interest of the patient to shop around. The medical establishment continues to try to obfuscate / discourage shopping, but it is happening, and you've got all sorts of financial incentive to do it.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Please remember to come to us when the hospital and/or doctor's office screws up and tries to get you to pay too much. Remember the apartment incident. Don't just fork over your hard earned cash. Post first and give us the chance to help you.

And I'm stoked to see some cute baby pics

Alright will do. I'll be sure to post it earlier this time too.

You bet on the baby pics. I'll definitely get em posted.

n8r posted:

It's not clear from the costs you gave recently if they were accounting for your insurance coverage with these figures. If they were not accounting for insurance you'd figure you're on the hook for $3k + 30% of the remaining ~$2700. If the total cost is ~$10k you're on the hook for for about $5100. According to :google: the average vaginal birth is $18k (before all the insurance silliness kicks in).

It's probably far too late for this, but I'd bet that Reno is a big enough place that you could have shopped around for where to have the kid. Part of the point of HSAs was to do exactly this (maybe you did shop around, if so nice work). The higher deductible levers more financial interest of the patient to shop around. The medical establishment continues to try to obfuscate / discourage shopping, but it is happening, and you've got all sorts of financial incentive to do it.

That does account for insurance yes.

We did shop around a little bit for our hospital (we chose the cheaper option), but not for the doctor or anything. I'll remember that in the future, as I didn't realize HSAs carried that advantage.

A C-Section will add about $2,000 if necessary (after insurance).

The $3,701 quote covers 48 hours of stay, the care of her and the baby while in the hospital (nurses only I assume) & a standard vaginal birth. The woman who quoted my wife that quote said it could be less, but it most likely won't be more. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but we may only go into debt a thousand or so. Maybe less.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Knyteguy posted:

Perhaps someone who knows more than me about power adapters than me could give some insight? Is there anyway to replace our router power cord with a non-official version?
For the future if you need to buy a new power adapter, here are the things you need to check:
- does the plug match? There are loads of weird tips out there so make sure you get one that fits.
- is the voltage the same? It's critical to match the voltages. Don't mess around with this. Plenty of consumer hardware and some enterprise gear has really poor power regulation so a couple volts difference can fry the board.
- is the amperage greater than or equal to the original? It's fine to have more current delivering capacity on your power supply, but you don't want to have less. The power brick will overheat and Bad Things will happen.

Matching the plug is the biggest pain in the rear end for these devices but if you have a Linksys router then you have a 12V power supply that will work in tons of other routers. But if you have a Buffalo, then it may be a 3.3v supply and even if the plugs fit (which they will), that horrible crackling sound and burning smell lets you know that the 12V linksys supply isn't going to work.

Don't release the magic smoke.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

In theory, you could shop around.

In practice, no hospital is going to give you an estimate you can actually count on.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Times are a changin' - I'd say for such expensive procedures it's worth shopping around. It only really matters if you aren't going to hit your maximum out of pocket. When I had my ACL fixed it was pretty obvious I'd hit my max out of pocket so it didn't matter.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

Quick Q: Our dog ate our router power cord (We've started crating her if she needs to be inside and we're not home.). I've found a replacement power cord on eBay but it's 10 bucks. I was hoping I could pick one up for less. Perhaps someone who knows more than me about power adapters than me could give some insight? Is there anyway to replace our router power cord with a non-official version?

dsa-24ca-12 is the model.

edit: actually it's 8 bucks and free shipping. Maybe I should just buy it.

I'd say this is a typical when it comes to budgeting of missing the forest for the tree's, $8 here or there isn't going to matter in the terms of a month, never eating out the whole month however will have a significant positive effect.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

If your dog just chewed up the cable you could just cut/strip/splice/tape the wire together with whatever extra wire you might have lying around (old power cord, cable off something else you threw away, etc). You could do that even just temporarily so that your router works in the meantime.

Edit: don't use tiny wire. Use something at least as thick as what is has now.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Knyteguy posted:

I don't know if this was addressed, but I'd be surprised to see you hit $12k.

For example, my HSA family plan has a $10k family out of pocket max with a $5k deductible, then 80% off in-network. Essentially, after paying the first $5k out of my HSA fund, I'd have to incur $25,000 in additional covered medical expenses to hit that out of pocket maximum. If your situation is similar, I don't see you getting close to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Looks like I pulled a Knyteguy:

quote:

You owe the IRS $11,054

Not actually that bad since I'm getting a bunch back from the state but I have no idea why it's that bad. Presumably withholding not accounting for a bonus or something but I don't know.

• Locked thread