Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Lostconfused posted:

Ok people literally paid money for services rendered namely bought gunpla from the best builders in the country. Brought in ringers from overseas to stack to play for their school. gently caress the rules, play to win!

Well you can't really go more 'acquiring foreign talent' than what Sei did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also I hold on to the faint hope that Sekai gets loving something in the way of characterization next episode. After all he apparently knows Junya personally on at least some level and if his master is going to choose an episode to pop up in next week is the time.

If nothing comes of that then, welp.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sekai's problem is he has literally nothing to him other than hitting things and smiling. Even when they got together to do the upgrades, his involvement was "I'm gonna go punch things while Yuuma does it for me". The only other things he's done in eighteen episodes is wince at his sister's ball-breaking strike, and sing Anime Ja Nai.

I think an even bigger problem with Sekai is how much they put him over and how much they focus on him at his least interesting. There's a place and a way to make simple characters engaging and Try hasn't done that.

As a counterpoint to Try in the same field of ridiculous sports anime I look to Inazuma Eleven. I watched the entire run of Inazuma Eleven and that show is way better at making a simple protagonist compelling. Tenma, the second protagonist of that series, is no more complex than Sekai, he's generally positive and upbeat and loves to play soccer. However Tenma also has a strong supporting cast and the show is better at responsibly dividing time and episodes among the rest of the team. More importantly the show puts Tenma outside his comfort zone a lot. We see Tenma worry about his responsibilities when he's promoted to being a captain and throughout the show he has doubts about whether he's right for the position. We also see how much it weighs on him when the plot goes nuts and Tenma and his team end up the shining beacon of rebellion against Soccer totalitarianism. Twice. No seriously. Ultimately Tenma is just a kid who dribbles well and loves soccer, but the show is competent enough that his presence is a positive rather than a detriment.

Basically Sekai needed to play off Yuuma and Fumina better and he needed to be pushed further. Quite possibly having a character this simple in a show with apparently no ulterior plotlines was a mistake, Sekai at his most straightforward simply isn't interesting if the plot is exactly as straightforward as he is.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lostconfused posted:

Ok people literally paid money for services rendered namely bought gunpla from the best builders in the country. Brought in ringers from overseas to stack to play for their school. gently caress the rules, play to win!

Yeah this is sort of the counter to "Sei sent some spare parts that need to be modified anyway". The Megashiki was literally a Pay to Win job that Sudou commissioned from Sakai, Sakai popped onto a losing team mid-way through the qualifiers and made them a rad-rear end gunpla because he wanted to fight Yuuma, Junya is doing the same thing because he wants to fight Sekai, and Kid Nemesis got brought in by his school specifically as a foreign ringer. Gunpla Academy is an institution built from the ground up to give their students every possible material advantage to win at Gunpla which is a huge advantage over every other school. Sei sending spare parts is minor compared to the amount of other "unfair" advantages most of the teams have.

Also re: "BUT REIJI USED GUNS!!!", that's a total non-issue because Sei loves weapons packs and optional equipment. The original Build Strike had no guns either.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 12, 2015

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
This subject sort of relates to one of my few slight complaints with the series. I think it's sort of a shame that they didn't take the better characters from the first half of the show and manage to get them into regionals via a team needing a new roster or something. Gyanko/Shimon/Sleggar would have been a pretty sweet team.

Another is that, as someone mentioned earlier, Sekai uses more finishing moves than normal attacks. I think there was a comparison drawn to Kenshin waaay upthread, which really makes me wish that Try took a similar approach. When Hiten Mitsurugi was shouted, someone was about to eat dirt and (probably) not get back up again.

Despite that, I still think Try will keep improving. It's unfortunately late in the series, but it also seems like the writing is hitting its stride. So I'm gonna remain optimistic. :)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Zwingley posted:

This subject sort of relates to one of my few slight complaints with the series. I think it's sort of a shame that they didn't take the better characters from the first half of the show and manage to get them into regionals via a team needing a new roster or something. Gyanko/Shimon/Sleggar would have been a pretty sweet team.

Another is that, as someone mentioned earlier, Sekai uses more finishing moves than normal attacks. I think there was a comparison drawn to Kenshin waaay upthread, which really makes me wish that Try took a similar approach. When Hiten Mitsurugi was shouted, someone was about to eat dirt and (probably) not get back up again.

Despite that, I still think Try will keep improving. It's unfortunately late in the series, but it also seems like the writing is hitting its stride. So I'm gonna remain optimistic. :)

I would be a hell of a lot more sympathetic to Jigen haou ryu bullshit if it felt like the attacks had weight. When Evey single thing requires a wind up it makes him look incompetent.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
To be honest I'd have liked to see how the Build Burning would have looked if Reiji had found it as intended. It's a generic enough design that you can just do about anything to it,

and it does have a port for a backpack.

Man, imagine if it did a kick through an Aqua Discharge gate. It'd basically be its own beam rifle.

EDIT: Actually, while I'm posting pictures check out somebody's idea of a real Build Burning:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 12, 2015

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Pureauthor posted:

Also I hold on to the faint hope that Sekai gets loving something in the way of characterization next episode. After all he apparently knows Junya personally on at least some level and if his master is going to choose an episode to pop up in next week is the time.

If nothing comes of that then, welp.

He'll talk about how Junya should fight because he enjoys it, maybe he'll have a fist clash with him and be like "I feel his feelings through his fist" and then explain why Junya's wrong and then win with a big attack. Then he'll pass out and whenever Sekai isn't on screen the other characters will be asking, "Where's Sekai?"

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 12, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ActionZero posted:

He'll talk about how Junya should fight because he enjoys it, maybe he'll have a fist clash with him and be like "I feel his feelings through his fist" and then explain why Junya's wrong and then win with a big attack. Then he'll pass out and whenever Sekai isn't on screen the other characters will be asking, "Where's Sekai?"

That's unfair. Even Poochie had more depth of character than Sekai.

Now there is a phrase I thought I'd never use.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's unfair. Even Poochie had more depth of character than Sekai.

Now there is a phrase I thought I'd never use.

Underneath his hip and cool exterior Poochie was courteous enough to say goodbye to his pals, before leaving for his home planet. What a nice dog.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Pureauthor posted:

Well you can't really go more 'acquiring foreign talent' than what Sei did.

A magical redhead from another universe is pretty much the bottom line.

On the other hand, a magical redhead karate master is also doing pretty good.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Reiji was a pretty tough act to follow.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno what the gently caress this is anymore, but it sure isn't a Gundam show.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I know. It still manages to entertain me. Unlike the last few series we have had.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In any sports anime, the antagonist teams having some advantage is totally normal and expected. Super strong ringers, crazy last minute substitutes, the rich kid spent his way to success, the fancy elite school that has all the advantages, etc. The reason the bad guys get that stuff, is for the benefit of the main character's story. Oh no, how will the good guys beat the bad guys, when the bad guys have X. That makes the good guys struggle to win more meaningful, because the obstacle they face is so big, and it makes the audience root for them, because we want to see the underdog beat the big guys with the unfair advantage, and it makes their victory more impressive because they were handicapped by not having whatever advantage the bad guys did, and it gives them the moral victory, because they won on their own gumption instead of relying on money or status or outside help or whatever.

The Build Burning throws all that out the window. The main characters have the biggest outside advantage of them all. You can't root for a team that wouldn't even be in the competition if they hadn't had their victories handed to them by someone else. Oh no, those guys in white bought a super fancy Gunpla! Who gives a poo poo, the "good" guys got the superest fanciest Gunpla for absolutely free. When Team Try Fighters win, they never win the moral victory.

Imagine it like this. Imagine that Sekai had built his own Gunpla. Early on in the show, they fight and easily beat some random team of nobodies. Them, when Try Fighters are in the nationals, somehow that team of nobodies is there too, except they're winning, and the main nobody has some super amazing Wing Gundam variant that can one-shot kill most other Gunplas. And then you find out that that Gunpla was built by Felini, because he had a thing for one of the nobodies' older sister. And like, the main nobody gets the Gunpla damaged during a fight and Felini runs out with a box full of spare parts and fixes it up good as new. That would be funny, but it would make you think less of the nobodies, and you'd certainly want to see Try Fighters kick their lazy asses.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My god, Winning's W beam is the dumbest and most beautiful thing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Press A to Save Stupid Team Mates

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The way they resolved the inevitable, "We need to fix Try Burning" was kind of lame too.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Still hoping Junya's goons get a few hits off Yuuma before Sleggar or whoever steps in.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

muike posted:

Press A to Save Stupid Team Mates

Well, the mental image of Fumina, Star Winning, and Real Mode Star Winning all adorning fitting Wonder Masks is kind of great. :3:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Why if it isn't Hosino Fumina, President of the Seiho Academy gunpla battle club and leader of the Under-19 West Tokyo Division Regional Gunpla Battle Champion team, Team Try Fighters. Also known as Wonderrrrrr Winning!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Level Slide posted:

Still hoping Junya's goons get a few hits off Yuuma before Sleggar or whoever steps in.

The thing that makes no sense about Yuuma is that he's a good fighter. He hasn't played in two years, there should've been a little arc for him getting un-rusty and figuring out his own style and how he can help the team during battle. The Lightning Full Burnern would've been neat if it was the end result of Yuuma discovering that sniping and high mobility were what he needed to contribute with his own unique skills. Instead of "my fast sniper Gundam needs to be faster and snipier. Ok now it is"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Real question, Boom3 do you actualy have a mental problem or is your posting gimmick pulling paragraphs of :spergin: about anime from elsewhere?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It really wouldn't even be an issue if at some point Sekai had decided to really sit down and learn how his kit was put together, but instead we've gotten one scene of Shia giving him pointers and that's it. Even Reiji, who initially thought the whole thing was stupid, got enough interest (and was press ganged by Sei's dad) into picking some stuff up.

It doesn't even make sense in the spirit of the show because two experienced builders teaching a newbie how to build is like the perfect gunpla commercial. It's not even that hard to animate, and lord knows the Try Fighters needed a better team dynamic pre-episode 12.

what i am saying is that sekai is a bad character

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Aila and Reiji building gunpla was one of the coolest parts of BF

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
We will always remember the day when Gundam Valhalla was revealed to us in all its glory.

Really I want to see more characters from other Gundam series pop up.

Edit: Quote is not Reply.

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 12, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BlitzBlast posted:

It really wouldn't even be an issue if at some point Sekai had decided to really sit down and learn how his kit was put together, but instead we've gotten one scene of Shia giving him pointers and that's it.

Except Sekai actually did help out with upgrading the Build Burning to the Try Burning. I remember at least one or two shots of him buffing the transparent blue parts while Yuuma was working on other parts. So at the very least he's probably seen it disassembled and has some idea of how the workings go together. That said, it probably would have been better if they'd shown him contributing more to the overall process but he did put in some work on it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That scene is immediately followed by Sekai working out in the backyard and telling Yuuma he isn't worried about the Try Burning because Yuuma's working on it. So it ends up looking like he tried, then immediately lost interest.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

BlitzBlast posted:

That scene is immediately followed by Sekai working out in the backyard and telling Yuuma he isn't worried about the Try Burning because Yuuma's working on it. So it ends up looking like he tried, then immediately lost interest.

Isn't Fumina not there in that scene too? They could be taking a break. Yuuma seems like the kind of try hard nerd who'd skip a break to keep working.

Then again, that scene is ended with Gyanko jumping 4 feet in the air repeatedly so maybe I shouldn't think too hard about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sekai not being that into building isn't an inherently bad problem at all, it's more that he's a completely one-dimensional character with zero depth to him. And that's just comparing him to someone like Reiji, nevermind other sports anime protagonists.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Real question, Boom3 do you actualy have a mental problem or is your posting gimmick pulling paragraphs of :spergin: about anime from elsewhere?

I'm sorry that the cartoon you like has problems. I understand that it can be upsetting when people point out flaws in things you like.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also, boom I enjoy those posts. Keep on keepin' on. And I mean it sincerely!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Srice posted:

Sekai not being that into building isn't an inherently bad problem at all,

It is when one of his major issues is that he just got handed a super kit!

The show has been mostly inconsistent about how we're supposed to feel about it, but fact of the matter is that if Sekai at least learned to like gunpla as a hobby then that would at least be a character arc.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

nuru posted:

The way they resolved the inevitable, "We need to fix Try Burning" was kind of lame too.

It isn't resolved yet. I'd bet that the parts are going to get jacked by Junya's buddies, then Sleggar is going to show up to save Yuuma from getting turned into a smear, then Junya's buddies are going to run off with the case.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

BlitzBlast posted:

It is when one of his major issues is that he just got handed a super kit!

The show has been mostly inconsistent about how we're supposed to feel about it, but fact of the matter is that if Sekai at least learned to like gunpla as a hobby then that would at least be a character arc.

Well, given that in this last episode, the guy who originally built it for an entirely different person gave Sekai his blessing to use it, I think we're not supposed to be too hung up over it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

edit: nope

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Well, given that in this last episode, the guy who originally built it for an entirely different person gave Sekai his blessing to use it, I think we're not supposed to be too hung up over it.

Yeah I really don't see it as a problem. Especially not compared to the broader issues with Sekai's characterization, or rather lack of.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Even Reiji, who initially thought the whole thing was stupid, got enough interest (and was press ganged by Sei's dad) into picking some stuff up.

Hey Reiji made his own kit. He used it in a fight more than once even. Like any time he wanted to mess with a gunpla battle it wasn't like "Oh hey Sei hand me Star Build Strike so I can ruin someone's day" nope dude just ran up and threw his own dinky rear end kit in there because that poo poo was his.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Hey Reiji made his own kit. He used it in a fight more than once even. Like any time he wanted to mess with a gunpla battle it wasn't like "Oh hey Sei hand me Star Build Strike so I can ruin someone's day" nope dude just ran up and threw his own dinky rear end kit in there because that poo poo was his.

Moreover, because it was his piece of poo poo beam Wolverine gunpla it could get wrecked to show a threat without other major consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I really wonder if there are limits to what you can use.

I mean Mao used a Satellite Cannon mixed with a goddamn Solar Ray. Can you bring in a scale model of Gryps-2 as a MA?

http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2014/09/wave-space-colony-model-on-display-at.html

Drop it like it's hot. Or like someone said in another thread, colony drop off the top rope.

• Locked thread