Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ErIog posted:

Alternatively they'll just say, "They steal a social security number from somewhere. Just go to <part of town where black people live>, and you'll see people selling them on the street!"

"Okay, let's go check."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm assuming this is anecdotal from a small sample size of posts here and my arguments with people on facebook, but what is it with certain people just spamming image macros that say "you're dumb" over and over again after they run out of valid arguments?

They exist almost entirely in the context of an echo chamber, where opinions outside of their orthodoxy are assumed to be self-evidently wrong without any need for critical thought. The echo chamber will sometimes receive specific counter-arguments to certain popular ideas (this is the main purpose of Fox News) and deploy these by rote, but if an interlocutor should either present a novel idea or be unconvinced by the rote response, then they will often fall back on the default "liberal ideas are ridiculous!"

Notice how in that macro Patty Whack immediately makes a point of positioning their opponents both as "liberals," without any idea of their actual political ideology. This is because the real crux of their argument is based around identity rather than any sort of factual or logical basis. 1) I am a Conservative; 2) Conservatives = correct and Liberal = wrong; therefore, anyone who disagrees with me is a Liberal; therefore, they disagree with me on every subject (e.g. global warming) and are wrong on all points. Any recourse to facts or logic (the one-liner about sample size of climate data) is not intended to address an actual argument of their opponent, but rather to convince themselves that their second premise is true.

e: I should note that this is more a symptom of echo chambers than of conservatism specifically. It just so happens that a huge amount of modern life is dedicated to providing an echo chamber for conservatives (and that the liberal rote arguments have the advantage of being factually correct a lot more often).

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 11, 2015

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

No it's a refundable credit. The point of it is that you get more money in the credit than you owe in taxes (you probably owe zero anyway) and the credit increases with each child dependent you have.

The point of it is to be welfare. Conservative welfare, that fucks the unemployed and allows businesses to hold wages down because their employees are subsidised by the EITC but aren't free to quit over low pay because they'll lose their EITC without a job.

The point of etc is to be welfare for white people while allowing said white people to clsim theyre not on welfare. If your black and last hired first fired, sucks to be you. Also what he said about wage depression.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 11, 2015

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Welp, despite my efforts, that stupid Prager University "Does Science Prove the Existence of God?" video just showed up on Facebook. If I decide to touch the poop it won't be for a few hours when I get home from work, but I may just leave it be, since I barely know the person (I went to high school with her, she added me despite us never speaking I think). It's weird seeing something show up on Facebook so soon after it was brought up here though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I 'blocked' most of the people except for the really strange crazy chick that still posts nonsense every now and then. Like, she is always mad about Obama, common core, you name it. Also found out through her posts that she has some sort of weird massive depressive disorder or some poo poo. 4+ posts a a day, and they go something like this:

OBAMA IS SENDING OUR COUNTRY TO DOOM
MUSLIMS
WHY DO THESE SO CALLED FRIENDS LET ME DOWN ALL THE TIME, GOOD RIDDANCE
I JUT DON'T HAVE THE STRENGTH TO GET UP IN THE MORNING

Like, I used to get mad reading her lovely posts about her lovely opinions, but seeing all this poo poo about 'friends letting her down' or 'I am so depressed' make me teeter between "Hey maybe you're the problem and not your friends" or "Maybe you should get some help".

Other than that, I recently accepted a friend request from someone in high school and now I'm kinda wierded out by the fact that he posts pictures of knives all the time.

He's in his late 30's.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Doctor Butts posted:

Other than that, I recently accepted a friend request from someone in high school and now I'm kinda wierded out by the fact that he posts pictures of knives all the time.

He's in his late 30's.

Like are they knives he collects, or is he holding a butcher knife and posting "gunna have sum fun tonight, blood blood blood."

One of those ain't so bad.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Like are they knives he collects, or is he holding a butcher knife and posting "gunna have sum fun tonight, blood blood blood."

Depends, really. I have yet to meet a person that collected knives that wasn't at least a bit unnerving to be within punching distance of. Every single person I've met that's collected knives has been at least slightly unnerving.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Depends, really. I have yet to meet a person that collected knives that wasn't at least a bit unnerving to be within punching distance of. Every single person I've met that's collected knives has been at least slightly unnerving.

My brother collects cleavers, but it's because he's a chef and likes antique cooking implements. He's got this giant one from the late 19th century that looks like it could chop clear through a side of beef. I guess it would be a little unnerving to walk into a stranger's house and see a big wall of sharp, shiny cleavers, though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

You know, I post stuff about computers on my Facebook quite a bit. Nothing wrong with being really excited about your job, especially for people who work in food preparation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor Butts posted:

He's in his late 30's.
I have a friend who does that. He is a blacksmith though, and gets a lot of his custom commissions through social media, so he gets a pass.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Bates posted:

My brother collects cleavers, but it's because he's a chef and likes antique cooking implements. He's got this giant one from the late 19th century that looks like it could chop clear through a side of beef. I guess it would be a little unnerving to walk into a stranger's house and see a big wall of sharp, shiny cleavers, though.

There's a big difference between collecting knives that are related to your primary collection type and/or job and making your primary type of collection be "knives." A collection of old cleavers would not be out of place or unnerving if they were among other cooking stuff and the person that owned them was a chef. Somebody that just has a case full of nothing but knives is like "what?"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's a big difference between collecting knives that are related to your primary collection type and/or job and making your primary type of collection be "knives." A collection of old cleavers would not be out of place or unnerving if they were among other cooking stuff and the person that owned them was a chef. Somebody that just has a case full of nothing but knives is like "what?"

It's no weirder than collecting vintage medical tools and equipment.

Collecting vintage medical tools and equipment is pretty loving weird, but hey, it's okay to be weird.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Collecting knives is ok if you think knives are neat or interesting and would like to have some.

Collecting knives is weird and creepy if you fantasize about violence and hurting people and owning knives is stage one of your derangement manifesting.

A lot of people posing with pictures of knives are probably exuding the vibe for the second one pretty hard, which is what makes them creepy.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

antique knives are cool, kinda like how antique anything can be cool to some people. buying 50 modern knives is a different story

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Oh, dear...

I'm not getting near this poop. For the record, this was posted by a female acquaintance of mine from high school, who also frequently posts "natural science things (vaccines cause autism yesterday) and MRA propaganda.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Jurgan posted:

Oh, dear...

I'm not getting near this poop. For the record, this was posted by a female acquaintance of mine from high school, who also frequently posts "natural science things (vaccines cause autism yesterday) and MRA propaganda.

But we already know it was rebel scum, we have video proof:

:confused:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ashcans posted:

Collecting knives is ok if you think knives are neat or interesting and would like to have some.

Collecting knives is weird and creepy if you fantasize about violence and hurting people and owning knives is stage one of your derangement manifesting.

A lot of people posing with pictures of knives are probably exuding the vibe for the second one pretty hard, which is what makes them creepy.

A friend of mine is a big time gun nut but just because he likes going to the range and shooting and hunts a lot. He doesn't open carry and talk about how he'll exact revenge on those minorities who are out to harm his families.

So collecting things is cool. It's good to have a hobby.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tamerragriffin/loaded-words-coded-meanings-black-people#.jhw93gmwy

This article has led to an impressive amount of white whine in the past few days.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Zeitgueist posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/tamerragriffin/loaded-words-coded-meanings-black-people#.jhw93gmwy

This article has led to an impressive amount of white whine in the past few days.
:qq: but but but I use thug to refer to anyone that acts like a thug! when I call you articulate I'm giving you a compliment! Oh god you know what I mean, stop being so sensitive! :qq:

These articles are great honeypots for racist shits that think they aren't.

EDIT: My favorite made an appearance, too

quote:

Its only problematic if you make it problematic. If someone is telling you something, dont juge it based on what race you are. When you do that you are being the real racist.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 12, 2015

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The only thing on that list that seems off to me is the 'natural hair' one. I've worked in an office environment when I was younger and came in with longer hair just kind of poofing out as its wont to do. I got told to get a haircut and stop looking unprofessional and I'm white as a Scandinavian. But I'm perfectly willing to admit ignorance if someone can explain.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

StealthArcher posted:

The only thing on that list that seems off to me is the 'natural hair' one. I've worked in an office environment when I was younger and came in with longer hair just kind of poofing out as its wont to do. I got told to get a haircut and stop looking unprofessional and I'm white as a Scandinavian. But I'm perfectly willing to admit ignorance if someone can explain.

By natural hair they don't mean a full-on giant afro, just a woman who hasn't straightened it with chemicals.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

:qq: but but but I use thug to refer to anyone that acts like a thug! when I call you articulate I'm giving you a compliment! Oh god you know what I mean, stop being so sensitive! :qq:

They already took the N-word away. Slippery slope, people!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

StealthArcher posted:

I think it's that extremely curly hair is going to be big and poofy unless you spend a lot of time and money to straighten it out.

There's a big deal with that in the military. The acceptable haircuts for women are based around hair that is relatively straight. In order for African American women to conform, they have to put in a lot more work.

Edit:
If you do a google image search for natural hair, you'll see the "unprofessional" hairstyles.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zeitgueist posted:

I hope that somebody said "why can't white people have our own 14 words."

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
Natural hair does not mean long, unruly or messy hair. It means hair that has not been chemically relaxed so that it will behave like white people hair. The fact that in many pockets of corporate America, a black woman cannot be taken seriously without chemically altering her hair is something that we should be ashamed of.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it's that extremely curly hair is going to be big and poofy unless you spend a lot of time and money to straighten it out.

There's a big deal with that in the military. The acceptable haircuts for women are based around hair that is relatively straight. In order for African American women to conform, they have to put in a lot more work.

Edit:
If you do a google image search for natural hair, you'll see the "unprofessional" hairstyles.

Well, to be fair really poofy hair can make hats and helmets fit awkwardly, and the military is pretty prickly about their dress codes. Not really equitable to those with curly hair, but there you go.

For corporate standards, they really have no fig leaf in that regard. It's just "the way things have been" and will probably slowly lurch over to being more inclusive as the decades go by.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 12, 2015

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The only one that kinda felt off to me was the "biracial people are beautiful" one. Like I get that white people can say that in the way the author is hearing it (implying that black people are only good looking when they have whiteness as well), but it sounds kind of insulting to biracial people. I'm ultra white so my opinion isn't really valid and I haven't heard it used in real life other than someone saying that his friend's biracial kid was cute but it feels wrong.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 12, 2015

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Radish posted:

The only one that kinda felt off to me was the "biracial people are beautiful" one. Like I get that white people can say that in the way the author is hearing it (implying that black people are only good looking when they have whiteness as well), but it sounds kind of insulting to biracial people. I'm ultra white so my opinion isn't really valid and I haven't heard it used in real life other than someone saying that his friend's biracial kid was cute but it feels wrong.

My mom goes on and on about how biracial black/white babies are so cute (probably because she wants a grandchild), but she does it in a way that kind of reduces them to dolls or something that you frame and put up on a wall, and not a person.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Radish posted:

I think it's an old racist talking point of some kind that doesn't come out much these days, because I've heard the implication said explicitly before.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
There was a newscaster in LA who recently went natural and people threw a poo poo fit. Women are supposed to have hair that is long, straight and coiffured. Black hair doesn't fit well into that conception of femininity, and that is what people mean when they say it is "unprofessional"

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Radish posted:

I think it is probably fine to feel this way if you also think biracials are better-lookin than white people (miscegenation forever), but considering all the racial coding you should probably be careful about expressing generalities about any ethnicity or phenotype's attractiveness

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Zeitgueist posted:

I love the one comment that's trying to explain it away by saying that "thug" and "sketchy" have no racial connotation IN THE UK. So if you're seeing it as a racial thing then congrats you're the real racist.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Radish posted:

The idea is that the speaker is identifying the baby's beauty with its skin-color. You (the general you, not you in particular) wouldn't say 'white babies are beautiful,' would you? No, of course you wouldn't. You probably also wouldn't say 'black babies are beautiful' (the reasons we wouldn't say either is complicated, and the reasons are, as far as I can tell, really different). But when you say 'biracial babies are beautiful,' you make people wonder why you would add the biracial there. What work is 'biracial' doing? Since beauty in western culture is, by default, white people beauty, it definitely leads to the idea that the only reason the kid is beautiful is because it's got some white in it.

It's all deeply coded poo poo, so much so that even well-meaning and generally tolerant people will do it. It all just goes to show: good intentions aren't everything.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Asian people are good at math. What? It's a compliment!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that all makes sense.

I hate dog whistle stuff. :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Crain posted:

I love the one comment that's trying to explain it away by saying that "thug" and "sketchy" have no racial connotation IN THE UK. So if you're seeing it as a racial thing then congrats you're the real racist.
This is true, but they both come with a heavy dose of classism in the UK, and it's not unknown for people to use them against ethnic groups that they don't like.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Knives he I think collects and or buys. They kind of all look like cord-wrapped knives or some poo poo (I know nothing of knives). Just kind of odd he's like, "oh yea cool knife" posts picture of orange bladed knife with wrapped handle.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Doctor Butts posted:

Knives he I think collects and or buys. They kind of all look like cord-wrapped knives or some poo poo (I know nothing of knives). Just kind of odd he's like, "oh yea cool knife" posts picture of orange bladed knife with wrapped handle.

Is he a goon? Did he carve it out of pressed cheeto dust?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doctor Butts posted:

Gross, I think I know the style you're talking about. Is he an "outdoorsy" survivalist nutjob who actually lives a comfortable middle-class life and rarely goes anywhere more woodsy than a park? Does he exclusively like things that are safety orange or camo? Does he wear those survival strap bracelets? Would his stated set of beliefs actually make him borderline communist if a youthful dalliance with libertarianism paired with a steady technical job hadn't dropped him soundly on the lap of the GOP?

Because I know there's more than one of this guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I really don't know. I think he was sort of into knives in high-school but I didn't know him that well. He lives out near/in L.A. these days and is still doing theatre stuff (he was big into it in high school).