Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fjelltorsk posted:

Oh, and the crime he commited was peeing into the hatch of a english armored car during a protest/riot.

Awesome. If you're going to do it, do it right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Don't blow money on a for-profit college for IT poo poo, it's like going to UTI or WyoTech for diesel mechanic work, it's a loving joke.

Just to chime in: Don't do this, they will rip you off.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I think it's very much a seeming catch-22 for STR. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Not enough relevant experience/items checked off on lists to get him in the door at a place that will pay comparably, but the only way to do that is to get some certs in a setting he will perform adequately at.

I don't think think there's a good answer, just a lovely situation all around.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kastein posted:

Don't blow money on a for-profit college for IT poo poo, it's like going to UTI or WyoTech for diesel mechanic work, it's a loving joke. Their interest is in your money, their job placement stats are willfully inflated at best and outright lies at worst, they far overstate what they do to help grads get jobs and in general it's a losing proposition. I've never met someone who was happy with the results, TBH.

I'm late to the convo but a billion times this. I did for-profit IT education. I graduated in 2003. I have never been able to get into the field and will finish paying off that loan this loving year.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ssjonizuka posted:

I think it's very much a seeming catch-22 for STR. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. Not enough relevant experience/items checked off on lists to get him in the door at a place that will pay comparably, but the only way to do that is to get some certs in a setting he will perform adequately at.

I don't think think there's a good answer, just a lovely situation all around.

Yeah, but for profit colleges are not the way to do it. A community college would be better and (slightly) cheaper.

There is no two ways about it: Yes it sucks, but a for profit college is a minefield you don't want to wander into, especially as a lot of IT groups screen for people who attend such colleges and avoid hiring them. I hate that this is barely registering in the media.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 12, 2015

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, but for profit colleges are not the way to do it. A community college would be better and (slightly) cheaper.

There is no two ways about it: Yes it sucks, but a for profit college is a minefield you don't want to wander into, especially as a lot of IT groups screen for people who attend such colleges and avoid hiring them.

I don't disagree, at all. But aforementioned issues at the local colleges (finances, class restrictions, etc) are also a big hold-up. Basically, he needs to catch a break, and there's nothing on the horizon that even points to something like that anywhere in the remote future even. As he sees it, his best possible step forward (ASAP being the desire) is the for-profit "school."

Thus the catch 22. I think wrar's advice at this point is likely a good step forward. They HAVE the drat paperwork. It'd be worth a couple hours to get them to fix it just to see if that opens back up another option.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
My former boss, current boss, and their director have all said that they wouldnt hire anyone who went to ITT. There is a campus down the street from my work and as we drive by to lunch thats generally when it gets mentioned and chuckled at.

I couldn't really recommend my career path to anyone (degree in fine arts, work in 2nd level support/deployment/projects, basically got my foot in the door by accident), but the idea of scraping in at the bottom and working you way up is certainly valid. STR, from what you have posted here you clearly have some knowledge, you just need to find the right workplace to show some people what you can do.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

fjelltorsk posted:

Me and my brother have been working for years to get dad of this retarded UK terrorist list so that he can visit Belfast again without harassment. Just got confirmation that he has been removed. This means we can celebrate his 65th in the city he grew up. He has not been back since 83 when he was allowed to emigrate to Norway. He then married the norwegian messgirl on his ship and started reproducing.

Oh, and the crime he commited was peeing into the hatch of a english armored car during a protest/riot.

I don't know whether that's better than my friend's reason for not being allowed into the UK or not.

His brother is Adam Yahiye Gadahn or 'Azzam the American'

quote:

Gadahn converted to Islam in 1995, at the age of 17, at a California mosque and is described as "homegrown," meaning that he has converted to an ideology so firmly that he is now willing to harm his country of origin.

In 2004, he was added to the FBI Seeking Information – War on Terrorism list. On October 11, 2006 he was removed from that list, and placed on the Bureau of Diplomatic Security Rewards for Justice Program list of wanted criminals.

They look so much alike it's loving scary (though my friend doesn't have the poo poo beard)

Said friend wanted to come into the UK as part of a long term globetrotting adventure but was stopped at the airport in London, detained for hours and then sent back. Annoying really because we were going to hang out and I was gonna take him on tours and poo poo. He was bundled on the next flight back to the US where he walked out of the arrivals gate and straight to a ticket office and flew into Europe, toured that and moved onto Asia and has been on vacation for the last 18 months... If the FBI is reading this he's in Australia and seems to be having a really great time.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

My former boss, current boss, and their director have all said that they wouldnt hire anyone who went to ITT. There is a campus down the street from my work and as we drive by to lunch thats generally when it gets mentioned and chuckled at.

I couldn't really recommend my career path to anyone (degree in fine arts, work in 2nd level support/deployment/projects, basically got my foot in the door by accident), but the idea of scraping in at the bottom and working you way up is certainly valid. STR, from what you have posted here you clearly have some knowledge, you just need to find the right workplace to show some people what you can do.

Yeah don't go into debt because if it doesn't work out you're really hosed. I don't have a degree, and although I sometimes think I should have got one, I'm just loving glad I didn't go into debt because I wouldn't be financially comfortable right now if I was. STR you obviously have enough IT knowledge to get your foot in the door somewhere, you should focus on just trying to do that and work your way up. I don't think an IT school is going to help you do anything but get into debt.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That guy looks like a cousin.....

578miles at 8mpg. All of the gas motherfuckers. All of the gas.

Uhaul also doesn't limit their Uhauls anymore either apparently, as this old turd would run 85 in the right conditions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ssjonizuka posted:

I don't disagree, at all. But aforementioned issues at the local colleges (finances, class restrictions, etc) are also a big hold-up. Basically, he needs to catch a break, and there's nothing on the horizon that even points to something like that anywhere in the remote future even. As he sees it, his best possible step forward (ASAP being the desire) is the for-profit "school."

Thus the catch 22. I think wrar's advice at this point is likely a good step forward. They HAVE the drat paperwork. It'd be worth a couple hours to get them to fix it just to see if that opens back up another option.

I know, I know :smith: But it'd be better to get into debt and go through a normal institution than give any money to Phoenix, ITT, etc.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CommieGIR posted:

I know, I know :smith: But it'd be better to get into debt and go through a normal institution than give any money to Phoenix, ITT, etc.

I'm kind of wondering why one needs to go to a learning institution to learn the material required to pass the A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CISSP, MCITP, MCSA, etc.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tusen Takk posted:

So my wife forgot to change her marital status on her W-4 from single to married, but I remembered and changed it to married soon after getting married. Can we still file jointly or did that gently caress everything up?

You're fine. Changing that on your W-4 only changes how much you have taken out of every paycheck, meaning she's probably been paying too much and you'll get that back soon enough.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Extra posted:

I'm kind of wondering why one needs to go to a learning institution to learn the material required to pass the A+, Network+, Security+, CCNA, CISSP, MCITP, MCSA, etc.

Because as he said, he learns better in a classroom environment. Which I can relate to. I can learn at home, but in a classroom I'm more focused, and tend to learn more - mainly because other people ask questions I don't think about, and vice-versa.
I'm in IT and trying to get out, so I'm debating doing a trade (likely electrician.) We could afford it, but we can't, so it might wait a year or two.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Extra posted:

I didn't, in fact I struggle in a classroom. I'm an MCSE, CCNA, A+, Linux+, Security+

You can save a lot of money doing it that way, all you'd have to cover is the materiel and the tests.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
STR, based on your last post,I hope you don't think we're trying to gang up on you or anything. I think everyone is legitimately trying to help you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

STR, based on your last post,I hope you don't think we're trying to gang up on you or anything. I think everyone is legitimately trying to help you.

Yeah, we really are trying to help. I do NOT mean to frustrate you or anything, but I've been doing IT for 10+ years with no college degree and just certs, and have been involved in the hiring process for IT workers. We generally filter anyone who has attended places like ITT Tech or others, and its a huge waste of money and will put you in significant debt that is more than double (or triple) the debt you'd accrue at a normal Community College.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, we really are trying to help. I do NOT mean to frustrate you or anything, but I've been doing IT for 10+ years with no college degree and just certs, and have been involved in the hiring process for IT workers. We generally filter anyone who has attended places like ITT Tech or others, and its a huge waste of money and will put you in significant debt that is more than double (or triple) the debt you'd accrue at a normal Community College.

Same here. I've also been in IT for 10+ years. I do actually have an IT related degree but the majority of the people I end up working with don't.
I've also interviewed a lot of people for low/medium level computer janitor jobs and most of them didn't have degrees. In pretty much every case, the ones with certs that were done through a training scheme ended up being totally poo poo (I always ask questions from the certification during the interview and i don't think anyone has ever got one right).
I think that experience is much more use now.

I'm in the UK but it cannot be that different in the US? and surely not for every single IT job!

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm suprised so many people start or want to start in IT.
I started a comp sci/IT degree in 2001 but dropped out in 2002. The future of it seemed to be only hands on janitor stuff, because everything else could be moved overseas.
Also because I'm not a very good programmer despite bashing away in BASIC on a C64 when I was a teen. So that left only the janitor or help desk stuff. I ended up doing a trade instead.
E: I'm sure some can make it if they're brilliant in the field or find a niche offshoot, but easier to pick up a tool bag and get $35/hr qualified in a trade, or $100/hr self employed if you can sell yourself. Less competition because less desirable to the kids of the last couple of generations and the old guys are too old for that poo poo.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 12, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

I'm suprised so many people start or want to start in IT.
I started a comp sci/IT degree in 2001 but dropped out in 2002. The future of it seems to be hands on janitor stuff because everything else could be moved overseas.
Also because I'm not a very good programmer despite bashing away in BASIC on a C64 when I was a teen. So that left only the janitor or help desk stuff. I ended up doing a trade instead.

I'm in school for Physics/Math with a focus on Nuclear Fuels. Trust me, I love computers, but IT is a dead end and boring job, especially if you are good at it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Never make your hobby your job.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fo3 posted:

n'thing this. holy poo poo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Unless tx is really hosed up, I don't see how a jc works out as more expensive than privates.

The value of a jc is that you get a real degree out of it, and perhaps just as important, the credits transfer much more easily.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fo3 posted:

Its why I'm not a mechanic :shrug: Unfortunately, I have a lot of hobbies and they are all related to a field that I'd like/hate to be in.

Nuclear is the only interest I cannot explore at home as a hobby in depth. Career spotted.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 12, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

That guy looks like a cousin.....

578miles at 8mpg. All of the gas motherfuckers. All of the gas.

Uhaul also doesn't limit their Uhauls anymore either apparently, as this old turd would run 85 in the right conditions.

You lucky son of a bitch. I got mine up to 70 going down hill and the fuel cut out at 65. Had that thing to the floor the whole drat trip.

This was the previous style Econoline though, not the one that looks like the super duty trucks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Rhyno did you buy those E30s yet

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I just measured my garage and an LP640 will fit with exactly 3" to spare on each side.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If he hasn't bought the E30s yet he probably should.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They don't answer the phone! I'm heading over there in an hour though so I'll park and check them out.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Comrade Flynn posted:

I just measured my garage and an LP640 will fit with exactly 3" to spare on each side.

If that's not a sign, I don't know what is.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
We are thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis close to making an offer on a house with an over sized two car garage. Freaking bank is dragging its rear end in getting the required paperwork to me to go to the home owners realtor with the approval letter I want.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Most expensive possible version of this:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

You lucky son of a bitch. I got mine up to 70 going down hill and the fuel cut out at 65. Had that thing to the floor the whole drat trip.

This was the previous style Econoline though, not the one that looks like the super duty trucks.

I hit 85 once and wifey sent a text to me going " SLOW THE gently caress DOWN" He bitched and moaned about us hangin' out in the slow lane doing 40ish up hills screaming at 5 grand in second gear.

Dude I love the redesign on em. I wish they got not-poo poo engines cause I'd totally expedition-van one.

I hate to admit the v10 sounds good when you have it wide loving open

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Finally asked out that plumber chick at work today but she said she has a boyfriend. Total bummer.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

cursedshitbox posted:

I hit 85 once and wifey sent a text to me going " SLOW THE gently caress DOWN" He bitched and moaned about us hangin' out in the slow lane doing 40ish up hills screaming at 5 grand in second gear.

Dude I love the redesign on em. I wish they got not-poo poo engines cause I'd totally expedition-van one.

I hate to admit the v10 sounds good when you have it wide loving open

You know you like that V10 wide open. You can hear them literally sucking the fuel down. I have often considered a Quigley conversion my self, only with a 7.3L diesel in E350 form. But that is ..... $$$$$.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
My first car was an 89 Buick Skyhawk wagon. Small and underpowered but so easy to lower the back seats and crack a window for a nap in the back.

edit: this should have come after rndmnmbr's post a couple pages back. Guess that's what I get for not looking at the date before :justpost:-ing.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 12, 2015

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Quote is also not edit.:eng99:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Where are you gonna stick the spare one that you use to keep the first one running?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Sounds like a recipe for having a loan for a broken car for a decade longer than you'll have the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

fjelltorsk posted:

Your dad rules.

• Locked thread