Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite part of this is that no one can say "WWE" fast but also accurate. At the end of a JBL Show, they had Paige doing a bumper and she says "Dubber Dubberee" one time and "Dubber Dubbee" the other.

The best pronunciation is DOUBLE DOUBLE E.

I still think that Vladimir Kozlov as a monster heel with goofy foreigner-isms would've been amazing if he could wrestle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite part of this is that no one can say "WWE" fast but also accurate. At the end of a JBL Show, they had Paige doing a bumper and she says "Dubber Dubberee" one time and "Dubber Dubbee" the other.

yes but she talks funny normally so

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Chokes McGee posted:

yes but she talks funny normally so

You know what would be great entrance music for her? Sirens!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You know what would be great entrance music for her? Sirens!

A loud, abrasive noise to let us know that a goofy foreigner is here, and we should all be ready to laugh at them? Go on...

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gonzo McFee posted:

I know we hear it so much but I still get a tinge of sadness when I get reminded that anyone who talks about how buisness used to be they're called passed it and out of touch but when new writers come in with their new ideas they're bullied and mocked for not understanding the buisness.

Vince wants to prove to himself that he is more intelligent than:

1. Everyone who's old
2. Everyone who's young

You can see how this might be counterproductive.

I feel bad for Hunter since he obviously knows what he's doing with NXT.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BGrifter posted:

Piper is way too busy doing a fantastic podcast that's more entertaining than Raw could ever hope to be.

I want every retired wrestler from the last 25-30 years to come back for a week as a road agent or part of creative, just so we can see them call Vince and every idiot writer out on how stupid they sound and why their promos and storylines sound loving awful. If anyone could talk sense into Vince and the writers, I could see a team like Piper, Austin, Dusty, Regal and a few others giving no fucks and telling it like it is.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Ozz81 posted:

I want every retired wrestler from the last 25-30 years to come back for a week as a road agent or part of creative, just so we can see them call Vince and every idiot writer out on how stupid they sound and why their promos and storylines sound loving awful. If anyone could talk sense into Vince and the writers, I could see a team like Piper, Austin, Dusty, Regal and a few others giving no fucks and telling it like it is.

The problem is that most retired wresters actually give many fucks about what Vince thinks, because they like the money that being associated with the WWE brings.

Like if you're some retired wrestler why would you give two fucks if WWE books coherent storylines as long as they still send you royalty cheques and bring you in for the odd booking payday. Knowing that Vince is a crazy man and you could end up on his bad side and frozen out quite easily.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

triplexpac posted:

The problem is that most retired wresters actually give many fucks about what Vince thinks, because they like the money that being associated with the WWE brings.

Like if you're some retired wrestler why would you give two fucks if WWE books coherent storylines as long as they still send you royalty cheques and bring you in for the odd booking payday. Knowing that Vince is a crazy man and you could end up on his bad side and frozen out quite easily.

I wish someone like Austin was involved in creative, and would just fight Vince on the stupid stuff.

Then again, Austin eventually just got tired of fighting everything. Still bummed we never got Eddie/Austin.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
So, WWE's financial results are out for Q4. Conference call later today.

There were 816,000 WWE Network subscribers as of 12/31. 1 million as of 1/27.

So, a gain of 185,000 for the Royal Rumble + UK launch.

242,000 signed up for the free trial in November.

44,000 subscribers are international as of 12/31. Does not include UK launch.

There have been 1.4 Million Unique subscribers.

TLC did the new lowest buyrate in WWE history at 39,000 buys.

More Network content:

quote:

The Company is evaluating opportunities to expand the range of original
network programming to include more exclusive live specials with sought after interviewees, talk shows, animation,
and short-form content. To highlight debuting programs and identify the most popular content on the network for
subscribers, the Company plans to roll out additional content carousels in the first half of 2015.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
It's worth bearing in mind that however many they added for the UK launch, none of those are paying customers yet.

edit: looks like they retained most of the people who signed up for the free November then?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Animation?

I want a cartoon where Kane is Corporate Kane by day, Demonic Superhero by night. Make it happen, WWE.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
So they're going to do live animated specials? You'd think that would make the animators hands very tired

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Spermgod posted:

It's worth bearing in mind that however many they added for the UK launch, none of those are paying customers yet.

edit: looks like they retained most of the people who signed up for the free November then?

No.

They had 731,000 subscribers by the end of September 30.

816,000 by the end of December. Gain of 85,000. 242,000 signed up for the free trial.

They however, from September 30th to January 27 gained 270,000. So, I'm sure a lot of the free trial subscribers came back for the Rumble. No proof of that however.

Good point on UK. No one is paying yet.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 12, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Great White Hope posted:

Animation?

I want a cartoon where Kane is Corporate Kane by day, Demonic Superhero by night. Make it happen, WWE.

Malibu Kane.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Conference call begins in a few minutes.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
70% of the free trial subscribers were active again in January.

UK/Ireland is their 2nd biggest market overnight. 87,000 new International subscribers as of 1/27. Have to imagine a huge majority of those were UK/Ireland.

On more free trials: "No commitment on that."

They monitor who signs up again for free trials again after cancelling.

An investor just called to ask if Wrestlemania would be on the Network.

She also thought absolutely no one paid in November.

What are they planning to do to stop cancellations after Mania?

"We've got to deliver incredible value. Great experience. That's what we're working hard on. Starts with PPVs but new content we'll talk about soon. That's how we'll keep subscribers long term."

How are other original contents doing? How does NXT contribute?

"Live content is successful. Amazing that NXT trends on Twitter regularly when it's only on the Network, especially when live. NXT is a favorite among fans, especially on the Network."

How does the WWE fanbase relate to the MMA fans? Looking to build bridges to MMA fans?

"We're about multi generational family viewing. Fundamentally different than MMA."

WWE Network advertising revenue is tiny.

Cancel WWE Network? How does that affect?

Vince: "Created controversy. Good for us. Santa didn't come to those fans. A vocal minority. The babyface doesn't win, and people say they won't watch but they're back the next week. It was good for us." I guess Roman Reigns isn't a babyface.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 12, 2015

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
He's a Graybyface.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Great White Hope posted:

Animation?

Sailor Moon But With Kane would redefine the industry.

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
The WWE spin machine has started even earlier this year.

"The plan was always to turn Roman Reigns heel. Daniel Bryan was always going to be in the main event."

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I will live with Bryan vs Vince if Brock don't happen.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

maxallen posted:

Got to love that Meltzer's summary of one of the most famous moments of all time - the first time kayfabe was ever truly broken in the ring - in an angle to work the smarks was "Strange. DUD", and flew right over his head.

He actually has like a 10 paragraph write up about the entire situation in (I believe) that exact same issue of the observer. At least at this time his actual match write ups were almost always devoid of anything other than judging the "work rate" or whatever of the match, and everyone else was separate.

edit: it features this amazing showcase of Disco Inferno being the greatest mind in the business

quote:

Disco Inferno was the only wrestler to openly question things suddenly saying something to the effect of, "They're working the boys."

Disco knew what was up

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Korelle posted:

"The plan was always to turn Roman Reigns heel. Daniel Bryan was always going to be in the main event."

Daniel Bryan will main-event 10 Wrestlemanias in a row without ever being the planned main event. Belee dat.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

The Bee posted:

Sailor Moon But With Kane would redefine the industry.

Daniel Bryan as Tuxedo Mask

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
daniel bryan will be sitting in a comfy chair ringside at every main event just in case they need him
"put me in, coach!" says daniel to vince, who is sitting next to him and frowning

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Dias posted:

Daniel Bryan will main-event 10 Wrestlemanias in a row without ever being the planned main event. Belee dat.

It was always our plan to put him in the HoF

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Korelle posted:

is this seriously something Vince said? they can't really expect people to believe this. Why have Bryan get unceremoniously dumped out before Roman's even in the ring? Wouldn't you have Reigns eliminate him? Why the rehab Raw right after the Rumble to try and sell fans on his heritage? Why have The Rock come out?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Marquis de Pyro posted:

He actually has like a 10 paragraph write up about the entire situation in (I believe) that exact same issue of the observer. At least at this time his actual match write ups were almost always devoid of anything other than judging the "work rate" or whatever of the match, and everyone else was separate.

edit: it features this amazing showcase of Disco Inferno being the greatest mind in the business

Disco knew what was up

He was probably one of the guys who thought WWF buying WCW was a work too

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

That DICK! posted:

is this seriously something Vince said? they can't really expect people to believe this. Why have Bryan get unceremoniously dumped out before Roman's even in the ring? Wouldn't you have Reigns eliminate him? Why the rehab Raw right after the Rumble to try and sell fans on his heritage? Why have The Rock come out?

Here's a hint: he's lying.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Guignol posted:

daniel bryan will be sitting in a comfy chair ringside at every main event just in case they need him
"put me in, coach!" says daniel to vince, who is sitting next to him and frowning

I honestly wonder if Vince regrets ever hiring Bryan.

I have to think he sees Bryan as this little hobo who ruins WrestleManias and Royal Rumbles and his perfect plans.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dias posted:

Daniel Bryan is the Gerald Ford of wrestling. Success happens to him.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Red posted:

Of this I legit have no doubt. If Bryan actually did any politicking or whatever, Vince would probably have given him a Cena esque push for legitimately ruining his plans and foiling him so much because he's weird like that but it's the fans who forced this on him and DB is what he hates most about Millennials

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Red posted:

I have to think he sees Bryan as this little hobo who ruins WrestleManias and Royal Rumbles and his perfect plans.

daniel bryan is inspector gadget to vince's dr. claw, bumbling his way to success through happy-go-lucky circumstance
we, the audience, are the dog that actually solves the case by disabling all his traps and killing the hired goons (roman reigns)

next time, bryan! next tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiime

Red
Apr 15, 2003

NutritiousSnack posted:

Of this I legit have no doubt. If Bryan actually did any politicking or whatever, Vince would probably have given him a Cena esque push for legitimately ruining his plans and foiling him so much because he's weird like that but it's the fans who forced this on him and DB is what he hates most about Millennials

Huh.

I mean, I get that. I would hope it's just us talking and speculating, but I can see it adding up.

I can totally see Daniel not politicking as "Millennials don't want the brass ring". Austin and HHH and Shawn all argued and fought for their pushes their way, and Bryan just shrugs and works his rear end off.

Bryan also doesn't eat meat or own a TV, and is dating the twin without implants. Vince just doesn't understand any of that.

I can't imagine, if any of that speculation is true, how much Bryan's stock was boosted by flipping out on Triple H for stopping that match where Bryan appeared to be hurt.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I should not have posted that anecdote.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

If Vince didn't like Bryan he wouldn't be where he is now, no matter the crowd reaction. It's just a question as to how much he likes him compared to other people.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

If Vince didn't like Bryan he wouldn't be where he is now, no matter the crowd reaction. It's just a question as to how much he likes him compared to other people.

I would agree. Everything I/we have ever read about Vince says he respects those who are ambitious. I can see how, in his worldview, Bryan's demeanor and approach come off as being some type of lazy.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Codependent Poster posted:

I mean Bryan makes them quite a bit of money, his merch sales were second to only Cena's for quite some time and may still be for all I know.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Daniel Bryan as Tuxedo Mask

Instead of showing up to give support and exposition, he just pops in once an episode to knee someone's face off and insist he's the tag team champions.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

If Vince didn't love Bryan:

Bryan would be buried
Vince wouldn't have rehired Bryan
Bryan would not be main eventing shows, Vince would trying to actively find ways to kill all the heat he has or transfer it to someone else.
At the very least Bryan would not be well protected at all, and he has been incredibly protected the past 2 years.

Vince clearly loves Bryan. He just can't get it around his head how or why the crowd wants some short bearded weirdo with no ambition.

E: Name me one wrestler more protected than Bryan right now in the WWE (no part timers)

maxallen fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I mean the telling thing about the financials is that the haemorrhaged money on Cost of Sales, so all the extra Revenue they got was eaten. Like as a rule, it's really really unreliable to judge a company by revenue changes alone.

At a glance I don't think the company would put network setup costs in CoS since it's an investment expense and isn't anything to do with actually moving the product in front of them. So all the free months that they're doing are basically taking a dump on Gross Profit which is around $10m down on where it was in 2013. Then you add the network expense and you're hit with a $50m loss before tax vs a $5m gain before tax in prior year.

What's interesting is in Q4 they lost $11.9m before tax in 2013 and this time they only lost $3.5m. If that's because the network isn't making GBS threads itself then they might actually rake back the loss that they've made. But if they keep on having to throw out free months to keep people going it's going to end up lossmaking no matter how many subscribers they claim to have.

I mean in all honesty, what I'd absolutely kill for is a full breakdown of the Cost of Sales figure.

• Locked thread