Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

'Whoever Holds This Hammer, If They Be Worthy, Shall Possess The Mannerisms of.... THOR!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nah. It just seems like Mjolnir has it's own thing going on. Like, there's parts where she says things about the frost giants or whatever, but her thought bubbles are all "where did that come from?!"

Mjolnir also apparently wants her to make a good first impression, because she has the whole 'let go of the hammer too long and turn back to normal person' limit, and the hammer is not just responsible for the costume, but her makeup as well.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Are you saying that Thor is Mjolnir's host?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It seems more like a lantern ring

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If there's so much confusion, can we call her "Ther"?

fake edit: dammit, now I can't decide if this should be pronounced like "her" or like "cher"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
The lady is Thor, the dude is Odinson, it's not rocket surgery.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Soonmot posted:

The lady is Thor, the dude is Odinson, it's not rocket surgery.

Except now he's actually Thorr, or he is six to eight months from now in the timeline.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Jeremy, my office's accountant, is retiring soon. Will he pass on his name to his replacement? She's really attached to the name Alice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SirDan3k posted:

Except now he's actually Thorr, or he is six to eight months from now in the timeline.

Is that Hickman stuff? There's not even any certainty that stuff will ever come to pass in the other books.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Is that Hickman stuff? There's not even any certainty that stuff will ever come to pass in the other books.
He's kind of wrong. Thorr was a member of the superjerk Avengers from that alternate universe AIM pulled in. Thor did take up Thorr's hammer because he is now Unworthy. I don't think Thor actually changed his name to include the extra R. If he did, I missed it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, evil alternate universe Avengers showed up in Hickman's Avengers and Odinson kept Thorr's hammer, which is mostly the same but the inscription reads "If He Be Unworthy..."

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

If the current explanation is that the hammer bequeaths the title then Odinson is now Thorr or possibly Thorr The Unworthy :spergin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

He's definitely got the power of Thorr, but I don't know if he's taken that as his name now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Actually it's an Artie Simek thing. He misspelled "Thor" as "Thorr" on one page of Journey Into Mystery #83 when he was lettering it. It's an error that's been fixed in all the reprints, though, so I'm having a tough time finding it (I think it was actually the last page where it was telling you to check out the new adventures of Thorr, but I may be misremembering).

Edit:

From a reprint of Journey Into Mystery #83, obviously, so I guess it wasn't fixed in all of them.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 12, 2015

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Random Stranger posted:

Actually it's an Artie Simek thing. He misspelled "Thor" as "Thorr" on one page of Journey Into Mystery #83 when he was lettering it. It's an error that's been fixed in all the reprints, though, so I'm having a tough time finding it (I think it was actually the last page where it was telling you to check out the new adventures of Thorr, but I may be misremembering).

Edit:

From a reprint of Journey Into Mystery #83, obviously, so I guess it wasn't fixed in all of them.

Is that where Hickman actually got it from? Because that sounds like it could just be a random coincidence, that he chose an alternate form of "Thor" that unconnectedly happened to have also been a misprint once.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
What other properties can benefit from strategic misspellings?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What's really stupid about this storyline is how Odin deals with it all. He thinks the new Thor is a thief and doesn't wonder if there is something deeper going on. You can't steal Mjolnir.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Well, Odin is known for lacking cunning and wisdom, hence his symbol of the Dodo bird.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Discendo Vox posted:

What other properties can benefit from strategic misspellings?

Banner could split into Bob and Bruce

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
People have said that Nick Fury whispered something in Thor's ear that made him unworthy. Is that true? Because it's not up to Thor; it's up to Mjolnir.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

prefect posted:

People have said that Nick Fury whispered something in Thor's ear that made him unworthy. Is that true? Because it's not up to Thor; it's up to Mjolnir.

Yup, it happened in Original Sin.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I fail to see what nick fury could have whispered into Thor's ear that would have made him unworthy.

...Unless...

...Unless the hammer is homophobic?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 12, 2015

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
"Do you fold or crumple your toliet paper?
I like to crumple. That's our secret now."

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hmm well what I'm getting is that this is a really dumb storyline.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

I fail to see what nick fury could have whispered into Thor's ear that would have made him unworthy.
What was Fury hoping to gain by doing that, anyway?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

redbackground posted:

Not getting his face caved in with a magic hammer.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

redbackground posted:

Not having a hammer put through his face.

I do love how most of the impetus of this storyline will be "Odin is such a huge jerk."

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wiegieman posted:

I do love how most of the impetus of this storyline will be "Odin is such a huge jerk."

This is a core element of Thor stories.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

Not getting his face caved in with a magic hammer.
See, I haven't read OS, so my mental image of this scene up until now has been Fury ambling up to Thor in like a break room and going "Psst! Thor! whisperwhispherwhisper"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Bifford posted:

What's really stupid about this storyline is how Odin deals with it all. He thinks the new Thor is a thief and doesn't wonder if there is something deeper going on. You can't steal Mjolnir.

Yeah, but HE couldn't lift it. Clearly it's the children who are wrong!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, but HE couldn't lift it. Clearly it's the children who are wrong!

Odin couldn't lift Mjolnir? Now that's total bullshit. Beta Ray Bill threw it at him once -- Odin just stuck out his hand, and the hammer flew right to him.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

prefect posted:

Odin couldn't lift Mjolnir? Now that's total bullshit. Beta Ray Bill threw it at him once -- Odin just stuck out his hand, and the hammer flew right to him.

According to Frigga, the enchantment has outgrown the enchanter.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, this derail's super long: There's a Thor thread.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Lurdiak posted:

Well, Odin is known for lacking cunning and wisdom, hence his symbol of the Dodo bird.
And on each shoulder are perched the dodos Steve and Rupert. Each day they wander off and then return in the evening to awkwardly headbutt Odin.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Female Thor appears, has anyone checked what Jane Foster is doing at the moment?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Idran posted:

Is that where Hickman actually got it from? Because that sounds like it could just be a random coincidence, that he chose an alternate form of "Thor" that unconnectedly happened to have also been a misprint once.

Well Slott revisited the 'Peter Palmer' misprint when Peter got mindwiped (again) in Superior Spider-Man and was trying to remember his name.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

prefect posted:

He's definitely got the power of Thorr, but I don't know if he's taken that as his name now.

So what does the second "r" stand for?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

SilverSupernova posted:

So what does the second "r" stand for?

It obviously stands for rotund.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Idran posted:

I am 99% sure that Hickman took it from there just because it's really infamous. There's a million options and he happens to pick the one that actually happened and has had nerds snickering for fifty years? And that's not like a misprint in Thor #242; it's giving the character the wrong name in his first appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

"Do you fold or crumple your toliet paper?
I like to crumple. That's our secret now."

Way to ruin my old comics.