Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Thesaurasaurus posted:

To be fair, 'Human Action' in this context should come with an asterisk and a footnote explaining that it means "Human action in a universe where the laws of nature manifestly permit a human to train REALLY HARD until they can live on a bowl of rice a month, or punch an armored man in half, or make an argument on the internet that will persuade Ferrinus of something."

I've done... two of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

theironjef posted:

That does work great if you suddenly add a candle I didn't specify. That's a tool. And the Craftsman Needs No Tools. I mean I get where you're coming from here, it is visually weird to see an Exalt fall into a pit with chains and shape them into a sword on the way down.

Right, but when you don't allow for that sort of stuff, the charm swings further and further away from "incredible improv" and towards "psychic transmutation", which is what I'm saiyan. Actually, this raises questions like, is 'heat' considered a tool or an ingredient?

PurpleXVI posted:

I always felt this "thematic," or lack of same, was part of why Solars tended to strike me as boring. When your fluff is this way, your charms can't really give you access to anything new, only the same stuff you could always do, but with more dice/on a bigger scale.

Well... it's made for around 700 charms thus far.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Thesaurasaurus posted:

...or make an argument on the internet that will persuade Ferrinus of something."

Not even the Unconquered Sun can do this man, you'd have more luck raising the dead with a true resurrection.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Rand Brittain posted:

It also seems to be moving away from manga-inspired art, and Holden has pooh-poohed all my demands that Adam Warren be hired to draw Volfer.

I'll admit I'm less concerned whether Exalted's art looks like a Japanese person drew it than I am with whether it looks like a 14 year old on deviantart drew it, or if it's the kind of art a nerd would defend by saying "what's the matter, can't handle it?"

Ferrinus posted:

500 of which are just dice tricks!!!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Dice treats.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Ferrinus posted:

And I'd be legitimately curious to see the breakdown of how many of these let you do new things, and how many of them are just straight up +dice/+successes/+rerolls or something of the sort(albeit sometimes probably conditional).

In fact, maybe that's something I should do myself. I've got time to burn, anyway.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

I think if there's a criticism to level against CNNT as a concept (and I guess against the visual metaphors of Solar excellence in general) it's that it's really easy to, with a sufficiently permissive interpretation at the table, make it look really boring. You can just say "yeah, I do it" and then it's done. I don't really hold with that, though, because a) I don't think powers are cooler when they've been narrated for you and b) if someone narrates something in an undramatic way, I take it as a signal that they don't see it as important rather than that they're personally dull or uncreative.

I guess that's where the desire for Ferrinusian aesthetic rigidity comes in, it's a set of rules to incentivize (or failing that, to outright demand) people care about the way things look in our mind's eye in a consistent way. You see the same thing in the stunt mechanics which Exalted is famous for. But honestly there's not a lot of daylight between that position and the position that demands someone justify their dot allocations at chargen with three single-spaced pages of backstory. You sort of have to trust that people care, and that it's not laziness or disrespect that makes them not care in the way you'd like them to.

Ferrinus posted:

Dice treats.

This is genius.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ferrinus posted:

Right, but when you don't allow for that sort of stuff, the charm swings further and further away from "incredible improv" and towards "psychic transmutation", which is what I'm saiyan. Actually, this raises questions like, is 'heat' considered a tool or an ingredient?

Heat is a tool, because it isn't featured in the final product. Unless that product is like a steak or something. However, I'd say any Solar is not lacking for heat even in a candleless situation, since they're probably fast enough to generate fires by rubbing their hands together really fast anyway.

Actually now I want to see a Solar cook rip a steak out of a still-living cow and shout it to perfect medium rare. His sweat from such rage contains the salt the steak needs to be truly flawless.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

PurpleXVI posted:

I always felt this "thematic," or lack of same, was part of why Solars tended to strike me as boring. When your fluff is this way, your charms can't really give you access to anything new, only the same stuff you could always do, but with more dice/on a bigger scale.
Yeah, it's always felt more like Solars = Goku (strongest at everything, but that something doesn't really change, he just glows brighter and maybe learns one new major trick which is bad enough that if he's not sidelined he just wins the conflict) rather than Solars = Jotaro (strongest but with clear limitations, may win more than anyone else but needs/benefits from a team, has a cool hat).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

theironjef posted:

Heat is a tool, because it isn't featured in the final product. Unless that product is like a steak or something. However, I'd say any Solar is not lacking for heat even in a candleless situation, since they're probably fast enough to generate fires by rubbing their hands together really fast anyway.

Actually now I want to see a Solar cook rip a steak out of a still-living cow and shout it to perfect medium rare. His sweat from such rage contains the salt the steak needs to be truly flawless.

See, I'd prefer if the Charm like, specifically let you 1. produce furnace-level heat given a minute or so to rub your hands, 2. cause any mundane material to cleave along a line of your choice by striking it after a moment's study, 3. use any rigid object as a serviceable hammer 4. etc. etc. etc. "You produce whatever effect, so long as it's construed as crafts-related" just gets goofy, and loads of the transformations implied by a literal reading (tearing a chunk out of a tree and pressing it flat into paper, transmogrifying a solid stone wall into a solid stone door, etc) are just the drat Fabricate spell.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

See, I'd prefer if the Charm like, specifically let you 1. produce furnace-level heat given a minute or so to rub your hands, 2. cause any mundane material to cleave along a line of your choice by striking it after a moment's study, 3. use any rigid object as a serviceable hammer 4. etc. etc. etc. "You produce whatever effect, so long as it's construed as crafts-related" just gets goofy, and loads of the transformations implied by a literal reading (tearing a chunk out of a tree and pressing it flat into paper, transmogrifying a solid stone wall into a solid stone door, etc) are just the drat Fabricate spell.

Do... do you think you make paper by hammering a log until it's really thin?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Please. With CMMT, I wouldn't need a hammer.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Making paper by hand (with reeds especially but even with wood if you're willing to narrate, I don't know, chewing a bunch of wood you've punched into chips into pulp) is definitely the sort of thing a stranded, tool-less Solar could do credibly.

I think this is where the hyper-specific description hurts the game, because it tricks people into thinking that everything which is described in a literary or metaphorical fashion must therefore be sorcery.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

Sure, but ripping a double handful of tree out a tree, pulping it with your bare hands, laying that on a jury-rigged matt of threads pulled from liana vines dangling from the same tree, and sluicing river outflow over it before dramatically kicking a hole in the canopy to let sunlight bathe your drying racks would be amazing. Especially if you did that all at that silly accelerated speed the lego guys are using in that Lego movie. Granted, the other three people at the table would be like "Yay. Paper. Truly he is a god among men."

I would agree with your initial list of numbers, but it would end up being way too long. Craft covers a lot. Like would you also need one for "use any porous object as a sieve" or "use any cylindrical object as a lathe." Or worse, it'd end up being ludicrously short, because writers tend to assume that craft covers Daiklave manufacture and not much else.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Yeah if you're going to let one skill stand in for "the entire sphere of human manufactory endeavor" then you kind of, have to let the powers within it be on the abstract side.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah if you're going to let one skill stand in for "the entire sphere of human manufactory endeavor" then you kind of, have to let the powers within it be on the abstract side.

I feel like the whole dispute would be easily resolved by renaming the charm "Craftsman Never Wants For Tools" and just reflavoring it as "you are a master of using your environment when crafting and never suffer penalties for lacking tools" or something similar. The rest of the stuff about being even faster with your own actual tools and being able to earn Craft XP could stay right in there, no trouble.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

theironjef posted:

Sure, but ripping a double handful of tree out a tree, pulping it with your bare hands, laying that on a jury-rigged matt of threads pulled from liana vines dangling from the same tree, and sluicing river outflow over it before dramatically kicking a hole in the canopy to let sunlight bathe your drying racks would be amazing. Especially if you did that all at that silly accelerated speed the lego guys are using in that Lego movie. Granted, the other three people at the table would be like "Yay. Paper. Truly he is a god among men."

I would agree with your initial list of numbers, but it would end up being way too long. Craft covers a lot. Like would you also need one for "use any porous object as a sieve" or "use any cylindrical object as a lathe." Or worse, it'd end up being ludicrously short, because writers tend to assume that craft covers Daiklave manufacture and not much else.

Wait a minute, though... aren't your vine mat and beam of sunlight tools? But seriously, that I'm fine with. I think the reprisal of the old Essence 3/Crafts 5 flavor text for an Essence 1/Crafts 3 charm put the wrong idea into my head. The whole thing scans much better as unbelievably fast improv and sequential shortcut-taking than as the sort of mystic ritual trance the Charm represented in 1e.

quote:

"Craftsman Never Wants For Tools"

That's a good way to put it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

theironjef posted:

I feel like the whole dispute would be easily resolved by renaming the charm "Craftsman Never Wants For Tools" and just reflavoring it as "you are a master of using your environment when crafting and never suffer penalties for lacking tools" or something similar. The rest of the stuff about being even faster with your own actual tools and being able to earn Craft XP could stay right in there, no trouble.

I like the way it's written now just because it discourages STs from trying to demand a line-by-line registry of what each step of the crafting process entails and submitting it for approval. There's a certain amount of being able to assume the power you bought does what it says it does that Craftsman Needs No Tools has, that Craftsman Can Justify Turning Wherever He Is Into An Ad Hoc Workshop doesn't. It puts the balance of narrative power in the Solar's hands, which is basically exactly what a power is supposed to do in an RPG.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

I like the way it's written now just because it discourages STs from trying to demand a line-by-line registry of what each step of the crafting process entails and submitting it for approval. There's a certain amount of being able to assume the power you bought does what it says it does that Craftsman Needs No Tools has, that Craftsman Can Justify Turning Wherever He Is Into An Ad Hoc Workshop doesn't. It puts the balance of narrative power in the Solar's hands, which is basically exactly what a power is supposed to do in an RPG.

That's fair. I've been playing Craft for years now with my interpretation but your ST interaction (power stays with the crafter) so I guess we're actually in agreement. I've even been submitting the registry of what the crafting entails, because how else am I describing my rad craft stunt?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

theironjef posted:

That's fair. I've been playing Craft for years now with my interpretation but your ST interaction (power stays with the crafter) so I guess we're actually in agreement. I've even been submitting the registry of what the crafting entails, because how else am I describing my rad craft stunt?

Yeah that's the sort of thing that I want narrating Crafting actions to entail, but it's not the sort of thing I want someone to demand of me, if that makes sense. gently caress you I won't do what you tell me!!!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PurpleXVI posted:

And I'd be legitimately curious to see the breakdown of how many of these let you do new things, and how many of them are just straight up +dice/+successes/+rerolls or something of the sort(albeit sometimes probably conditional).

In fact, maybe that's something I should do myself. I've got time to burn, anyway.

I'm going through and tallying up some quick numbers for this. I'm splitting charms into three categories: dice (including dice bonuses, rerolls, double-X, difficulty modifiers etc), mixed (adds significant bonuses to your roll while also allowing some small or added on new power), and new (entirely new ability that was either impossible or difficult before). Here's what I have so far:
Dice/Mixed/New
Archery 4/5/17
Athletics 12/2/17
Awareness 11/3/8
Brawl 12/11/24
Bureaucracy 5/3/18
Craft 14/2/38 (nearly all of the dice charms come from the Power tree here, although a lot of the other ones manipulate crafting XP and aren't all that exciting)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah that's the sort of thing that I want narrating Crafting actions to entail, but it's not the sort of thing I want someone to demand of me, if that makes sense. gently caress you I won't do what you tell me!!!

Well yeah, there should always be a way to either just do the drat roll, or do the minimum and get your 1 die. With craft it's either

You guys are trapped on a desert island, sails in tatters and a noted dearth of thread, needle, or canvas.
"Alkurah will spend his downtime making sails using CNNT"

or

You guys are trapped on a desert island, sails in tatters and a noted dearth of thread, needle, or canvas.
"Alkurah dives for seaweed to lash into line, captures a sea urchin for needle, and begins cutting patch mats and thread from his own shirt."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Alright, so, for this, I'm counting anything that removes penalties, adds dice, adds successes or generally just fucks with the dice-rolling part without adding any real new abilities, as "dice trick" charms. I've also chosen to include a lot of "you can just DO this"-charms as "new tricks," even if they're stuff you could technically also do by rolling dice and stunting it, like some of the charms for evaluating buyers and markets at the start of Bureaucracy. Having gotten about halfway through the charm list so far, I've generously counted about 60 charms I'd consider to be "doing new stuff." Rather than just adding dice. It's entirely possible that all the cool stuff is loaded into the back half, but even with that... yeah, we're looking at something like a third of the charms, tops, not just being "dice tricks."

quote:

Yeah, it's always felt more like Solars = Goku (strongest at everything, but that something doesn't really change, he just glows brighter and maybe learns one new major trick which is bad enough that if he's not sidelined he just wins the conflict) rather than Solars = Jotaro (strongest but with clear limitations, may win more than anyone else but needs/benefits from a team, has a cool hat).

It's also kind of telling that almost every time, so far, they give Solars something that's actually a NEW TRICK, it's literally just "make a thing out of essence." Wings, weapons, armor, etc. and the few exceptions seem weird, like the charm that lets you stay airborne just by leaping into the air and then attacking something over and over until you get knocked out of the sky. Since when were Solars fighter jets?

I was also not really super into Solars in 2E(what a huge shocker), so I don't recall their charms in huge detail... but is it just me or do some of their 3E charms feel kind of like they're transgressing on Lunar territory? Super smell, super taste, growing essence wings, etc. this feels like Lunar schticks.

Also why is there a loving Hadoken/Kamehameha under Brawl? Or the charm for literally going Super-Saiyan?

quote:

Channeling her anima through her physical form, the Lawgiver merges with her iconic manifestation to become a visage of divine wrath. Her hair may lengthen and change colors

quote:

The Lawgiver reaches deep into her Essence, drawing forth a mountain-crushing surge of spirit pressure that burns like a small sun between her hands. The Solar then hurls this flare of burning Essence like a comet to strike a foe she can perceive at any range.

Also noting what I'd call some intrusion on Sidereal territory. At the very least this sounds WAY more like Sidereal thematics, to me.

quote:

As long as the Lawgiver’s organization has succeeded at one challenging project in the previous season, her bureaucracy automatically completes one project within its scope without ever undertaking it. Once per story, the Exalt may travel to an isolated section of her business headquarters where she will find the proof of a completed task. She might find useful tools, resources, deeds, valuable paperwork, and so forth. The Storyteller should select items which will prove of some use to the Solar each time she decides to invoke this Charm. The more powerful her organization, the better the discovered spoils will be.

I love that Solars can apparently do wyld-shaping inside Creation now! And they can use them to do stuff that sounds like Abyssal fuckery-jiggery. Whether CNNT is magic or not, this one DEFINITELY is.

quote:

The Solar speaks the implements of her trade into existence. Upon using this Charm, the Exalt describes Artifact tools she needs to complete the present task, be it one of Craft, Lore, Medicine, Occult, or Investigation. The Essence of the world shapes itself into an artifact matching her description,

In any case, these Artifact assistants allow for unspecified bonuses ranging from non-Charm dice, to the ability to listen for a daiklave’s heartbeat, to holding a patient’s soul in place while the Solar performs continual, complex surgery to fix horrific injury.

They're also stealing some more Lunar shapeshifting! I'm quite sure this was pretty much literally the fluff for Lunar perfect defenses in 2E.

quote:

The Exalt moves her physical Essence around the flow of an attack, partially discorporating.

Holy poo poo what charms are even left for the loving Sidereals when it's their turn?! Solars get a bunch of charms that seem to involve "retroactively" changing things, and not just in a storytelly way like Master Plan Meditation, but literally retroactively changing reality.

quote:

Once per scene, the Lawgiver may deny the very wounds that assail her, striking them from her body’s record. This Charm allows the Solar to retroactively dodge damage she has already received. Standing still and silent, the Exalt focuses on her wounds for a single round in which she does not attack and does not apply her Parry or Evasion. Applying such defenses cancels the Charm. At the end of the round, roll her (Dexterity + Dodge), unmodified by Charms, and convert the successes into healed -1 and -2 health levels. The Solar steps outside of the moment when she was hurt, casting aside her wounded form and denying its existence.

Some of the most fun charms here, I'm noting, are the really street-level ones: "When used, this Charm supplements an instill action to make a person believe an object or structure belongs to the Exalt." It's just an Essence 1 Larceny charm, but I can see it resulting in way more fun than Essence 5 Kamehamehas and SSJ transformations.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I'm looking at Hide-Hardening Practice and similar Survival charms that say, "The Solar may enhance a single familiar with this Charm (Essence) times." Is it clarified anywhere whether each time the familiar is enhanced it is a new Charm purchase or do you buy the Charm once and your familiar just gets tougher when your Essence goes up?

p.s. Hey wouldn't it have been great if the devs could have gotten a lot of feedback like this on what is unclear earlier in the process??

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Solars suck and are the worst splat and their entire schtick of 'better at everything than everyone else' needs to die, because it's terrible design space. It really reeks of design where they somehow expect every player to always be the same splat to play with each other, and 90% of Exalted games I've ever seen or played in have been mixed.

I can understand not wanting to 'balance' the various splats against each other, but do you really need to make Solars 'the best at sorcery/evocations/martial arts/strongest charmset'? I've never understood why that needed to be a thing, besides because it's how it was before.

The whole 'solaroid' poo poo is probably my least favorite part of 2e, and my one complaint with 3e so far is that they seem to have doubled down on it in ways that steps on former thematics even more. I legitimately would not be surprised if in a few years we suddenly discovered that Solars have a better form of astrology too, in the form of an occult charm tree.

I wish that the devs would have abandoned the idea of solar thematics being 'the greatest at anything humans can ever attempt or think of' and focused more on the thematic idea of 'exalted of the sun god' and given them cool stuff based off that.

Fuuuuck solars basically. Abyssals too. Infernals were weird enough that I liked them in 2e, since they weren't just outright 'best' at a lot of stuff, but man gently caress them too I guess.

It's basically like if the Pathfinder devs literally went 'yeah, spellcasters are made to be vastly better than any mundane character, and that's part of the game that will never change', yet people eat it up for some reason, I just don't get it.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kaza42 posted:

I'm going through and tallying up some quick numbers for this. I'm splitting charms into three categories: dice (including dice bonuses, rerolls, double-X, difficulty modifiers etc), mixed (adds significant bonuses to your roll while also allowing some small or added on new power), and new (entirely new ability that was either impossible or difficult before). Here's what I have so far:
Dice/Mixed/New
Archery 4/5/17
Athletics 12/2/17
Awareness 11/3/8
Brawl 12/11/24
Bureaucracy 5/3/18
Craft 14/2/38 (nearly all of the dice charms come from the Power tree here, although a lot of the other ones manipulate crafting XP and aren't all that exciting)

To me, this seems to be pretty much inevitable as a consequence of (a) keeping 25 Abilities, particularly the Abilities that don't really do anything by themselves but add to your numbers like Dodge and Integrity, and (b) trying to increase the number of Charms in all of those Abilities at once.

Combine the Abilities down into 15 or something and then you've got much more thematic room in each Ability for "new stuff" instead of "numbers". It means less Charms overall, but that doesn't really matter when a bunch of them just duplicate the same things across different Abilities already (for example, there's "person armor" in Resistance, "horse armor" in Ride, and "animal natural armor" in Survival).

Roadie fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 12, 2015

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Fuuuuck solars basically. Abyssals too. Infernals were weird enough that I liked them in 2e, since they weren't just outright 'best' at a lot of stuff, but man gently caress them too I guess.

It's basically like if the Pathfinder devs literally went 'yeah, spellcasters are made to be vastly better than any mundane character, and that's part of the game that will never change', yet people eat it up for some reason, I just don't get it.
I think the only person here who straight up hustles for the "Solars are the best at everything and that is fundamental to the game itself and you just can't handle it" is Ferrinus. And even he's scratching his head at some of these zaubs.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

KittyEmpress posted:

To be fair, Pathfinder would be a rather different game if the default mode of play was 'okay so you're all full casters', or 'so you're all mundanes'. Which, in Exalted, it is. Cross-splat play/balance has never really been high on the dev's priority lists. Hell, in 1e each splat was supposed to be it's own genre of adventure fantasy. I dunno that people are defending it exactly, but it's hard to be surprised about it now, 13 years down the line.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Endings posted:

To be fair, Pathfinder would be a rather different game if the default mode of play was 'okay so you're all full casters', or 'so you're all mundanes'. Which, in Exalted, it is. Cross-splat play/balance has never really been high on the dev's priority lists. Hell, in 1e each splat was supposed to be it's own genre of adventure fantasy. I dunno that people are defending it exactly, but it's hard to be surprised about it now, 13 years down the line.
I think, given the overwhelming titanic frequency of cross-splat play (at least for the non-Terrestrials) it would be great if they'd taken an eye towards making them interface better.

Calde
Jun 20, 2009
Ok, this is really bothering me so I just have to vent.

* In Martial Arts the keyword Celestial only applies to Terrestrial Exalts; if you're a Celestial Exalt, you don't need to read those sections.
* In Martial Arts the keyword Mastery applies even if you only have the first Charm in the cascade. You can invoke the Mastery bonus, even if you're a novice, because of the flavor of your Exaltation.

I would have gone with Terrestrial and Prodigy as the keywords myself.

Perhaps somewhat related the Linguistics sidebar near the start of the Linguistics Charms has this idea that is a pet peeve of my ST from long before the leak: "words evolve from pictograms to ideograms, hieroglyphs form and refine into runes that make up descendent languages thousands of years later". I laughed when I read that, since I've heard this perspective derided several times in the past year as akin to "utensils evolve from tongs to chopsticks to forks and spoons, the superior Western way of eating". I'm not certain it even makes any sense in-setting for Creation, with a post-apocalyptic theme where older stuff is more extravagant and complex; wouldn't savants see any trend from Mayan glyphs towards runes and alphabets to be a degeneration?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Bouquet posted:

I'm looking at Hide-Hardening Practice and similar Survival charms that say, "The Solar may enhance a single familiar with this Charm (Essence) times." Is it clarified anywhere whether each time the familiar is enhanced it is a new Charm purchase or do you buy the Charm once and your familiar just gets tougher when your Essence goes up?

p.s. Hey wouldn't it have been great if the devs could have gotten a lot of feedback like this on what is unclear earlier in the process??

You have to repurchase is it each time you want the benefit, ala Ox-Body.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Calde posted:

Ok, this is really bothering me so I just have to vent.

* In Martial Arts the keyword Celestial only applies to Terrestrial Exalts; if you're a Celestial Exalt, you don't need to read those sections.
* In Martial Arts the keyword Mastery applies even if you only have the first Charm in the cascade. You can invoke the Mastery bonus, even if you're a novice, because of the flavor of your Exaltation.

I would have gone with Terrestrial and Prodigy as the keywords myself.

Perhaps somewhat related the Linguistics sidebar near the start of the Linguistics Charms has this idea that is a pet peeve of my ST from long before the leak: "words evolve from pictograms to ideograms, hieroglyphs form and refine into runes that make up descendent languages thousands of years later". I laughed when I read that, since I've heard this perspective derided several times in the past year as akin to "utensils evolve from tongs to chopsticks to forks and spoons, the superior Western way of eating". I'm not certain it even makes any sense in-setting for Creation, with a post-apocalyptic theme where older stuff is more extravagant and complex; wouldn't savants see any trend from Mayan glyphs towards runes and alphabets to be a degeneration?
That outline of events makes sense in the context of Creation where Old Realm was literally the language that the gods spoke, and presumably has a fixed writing system (though I imagine, like Chinese, there are multiple 'styles' for the same 'characters'). However I got the impression the regional languages were actually initially created, or at least influenced heavily, by the Solars, so the writing system would be whatever.

However, a syllabic or alphabetical script for trade languages makes sense.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Nessus posted:

I think, given the overwhelming titanic frequency of cross-splat play (at least for the non-Terrestrials) it would be great if they'd taken an eye towards making them interface better.

It's true! On the other hand, it's probably a little early to pronounce doom and gloom on the matter. We have no real idea what Lunar/Sidereal/Alchemical charmsets will look like. Maybe they can serve both design goals at once!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Calde posted:

"words evolve from pictograms to ideograms, hieroglyphs form and refine into runes that make up descendent languages thousands of years later"

In this case, since language is just another thing that has an animistic god or several operating it with an agenda and power to back that up, it makes perfect sense that there's an evolution of alphabet where old is bad and new is good. Saying otherwise is a good way to get the Exigent of Language to show up looking for your head.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
All the little bits of rules irregularities are beginning to look a little intimidating. Why are 10s doubled on damage for decisive attacks, but not withering ones? Why are the Intimacy bonuses to Resolve at [rating], but Intimacy penalties to it at [rating -1]? Why can bonus WP exceed your threshold for a 3d stunt but not a 2d one? Any one of these might have good, if perhaps not obvious, reasons behind it, but the cumulative complexity burden looks rather, uh, significant.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

All the little bits of rules irregularities are beginning to look a little intimidating. Why are 10s doubled on damage for decisive attacks, but not withering ones? Why are the Intimacy bonuses to Resolve at [rating], but Intimacy penalties to it at [rating -1]? Why can bonus WP exceed your threshold for a 3d stunt but not a 2d one? Any one of these might have good, if perhaps not obvious, reasons behind it, but the cumulative complexity burden looks rather, uh, significant.

Significant... or immersive?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Oligopsony posted:

All the little bits of rules irregularities are beginning to look a little intimidating. Why are 10s doubled on damage for decisive attacks, but not withering ones?

You got it reversed, withering is the one that doubles tens. I'm guessing it's a way to at least somewhat minimize the baseline lethality?

Oligopsony posted:

Why are the Intimacy bonuses to Resolve at [rating], but Intimacy penalties to it at [rating -1]?

No idea, but if I had to guess it's a pathological need to have defense trump offense or something ala 2E.

Oligopsony posted:

Why can bonus WP exceed your threshold for a 3d stunt but not a 2d one? Any one of these might have good, if perhaps not obvious, reasons behind it, but the cumulative complexity burden looks rather, uh, significant.

It's strange, because in the section on willpower they say a different thing:

quote:

Performing a two-point stunt grants one point of Willpower, while performing a three-point stunt grants two. These awards may exceed the character’s permanent Willpower rating.

So uh, something to mention as they search for typos. EDIT: in the first version of the alpha doc we got, the stunting section only stated that a two point stunt gets you 1 WP and a three point stunt gets you 2 WP. I'm guessing someone made an error when the rules are updated given that both sections contradict each other.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 13, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
In order: Bedlamdan is correct, charms make offense trump defense and thus the system default needs to give defense a mild edge, and yes it's a typo. So it's a matter of game balance, more game balance, and a sorry goof.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

theironjef posted:

In this case, since language is just another thing that has an animistic god or several operating it with an agenda and power to back that up, it makes perfect sense that there's an evolution of alphabet where old is bad and new is good. Saying otherwise is a good way to get the Exigent of Language to show up looking for your head.

Plus, the newer a language is the less it has to with anything He Who Bleeds the Unknown Word (presumably) had a hand in. Gods still don't want to have to learn anything new and are gonna keep speaking Old Realm though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Nessus posted:

I think the only person here who straight up hustles for the "Solars are the best at everything and that is fundamental to the game itself and you just can't handle it" is Ferrinus. And even he's scratching his head at some of these zaubs.

It's actually much tighter than in past editions. For instance, in 2E, Solars could literally fly. In 3E, they can't fly - they can just leap up to fight someone, and only fall back down when they're done fighting. In 2E, Solars could elect to just never get sick again - in 3E, Solars can never get sick with the same disase again. And so on.

The reason stuff like Words-As-Workshop Method and that one "dodge sideways through Time" charm stick out to me is that they don't seem quite like Solar magic. They do in raw game-mechanical effect, but they should really be described as OOC retcons rather than IC retcons or raw conjurations - or, at least, Words-As-Workshop should require a little background in sorcery or Wyld-Shaping, just like Dual Magnus does.

*slams index cards describing as many as three or four out of seven hundred charms down on the table in disgust* look at these!! look at them!!! what's even left, i ask you? what's even left??

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 13, 2015

• Locked thread