Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I have to agree, in that I find Starbound to be a very mellow experience on the whole, and it's just relaxing to set up a little beachside home and chill out under the stars, alone or with a friend. It helps me decompress. Plus, the aesthetics are such that I find it much, much easier to build a cozy-looking home/base in Starbound than Terraria. Everything just feels more comfortable, and with dust storms or rain or even starshowers coming down out side it only adds to the ambiance. Terraria is a lot of fun for me to go flying through slaying monsters and clashing with bosses, but Starbound's very atmospheric and relaxing for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I broke and decided to try to google some coordinates for some of these annoying quest items for ship expansion. None worked and so I headed to the official forum thread to share coordinates and that poo poo didn't work either. Somehow universe generation varies depending on operating system and OS version, which almost makes the coordniate system entirely loving useless. Even the few I found for Win 8.1 64-bit didn't seem to contain what was advertised by the poster.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

I don't like how all the furniture in Starbound is at a 45 degree angle to the walls. It looks good for some, but a lot of it clashes for me

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
The game can be quite relaxing single player, but the server my group of friends and I play on crashes about every 15 minutes. It has happened at very inopportune times (during first boss fight, for example) and remains as one of the big reasons I can't really get into this game. Maybe it is because the server is a mac pro? Anyone else noticing server crashes?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

YarPirate posted:

The game can be quite relaxing single player, but the server my group of friends and I play on crashes about every 15 minutes. It has happened at very inopportune times (during first boss fight, for example) and remains as one of the big reasons I can't really get into this game. Maybe it is because the server is a mac pro? Anyone else noticing server crashes?

It seems to depend on the server. I've played on a few that were quite stable despite a very high playercount, and others that crashed constantly. Occasionally I'll find a server that runs smooth as butter with virtually no lag, but randomly hiccups and kicks everyone. It's all very strange.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

The server hits the CPU pretty hard.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

YarPirate posted:

The server I run on my machine for me and a friend (windows 7 64bit) crashed whenever someone died in the first boss fight. Or actually it crashed after a minute or so after you respawned. I think it might be when the dungeon instance is unloaded by the server. Sometimes I could die and if I was quick enough to get to SAIL and go back in it would be ok.

For the coordinates thing I found a site that lists them with the OS version included but that was at home and I am at work right now. It seemed that 32 vs 64bit made the difference though as I was able to go to ones listed as 64bit Linux on my 64bit windows version.

Edit: Found the Coords site

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

XboxPants posted:

The coordinates are based on what OS you're using. If you and the person who uploaded those aren't using the same operating system, you won't end up at the same planetary system. Since that site doesn't seem to have a field to list or submit what OS their coords are for, it's effectively just a massive waste of space.

Does this make multiplayer between people with different operating systems impossible since they wouldn't have any worlds in common?

KoB
May 1, 2009

AndroidHub posted:

I think it's still relatively useful if you're on windows 7, since that's what a majority of people are using, I tried a few from that site and all of them worked so :shrug:.

Windows 7, 64 bit. Tried like a dozen and didnt get anything.

AndroidHub posted:

Is dye not currently craftable? I'm trying to actually clear out the quests and I need red dye for the kennel, but I've searched for dye on each crafting station to no avail.

It doesnt seem to be. You can 3D print the kennel.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does this make multiplayer between people with different operating systems impossible since they wouldn't have any worlds in common?

In multiplayer it uses the server to generate all the worlds. Better run it on windows 7 because good luck using seeds to find poo poo you need otherwise.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mormon Star Wars posted:

The multiplayer takes place on a server, and AFAIK the server itself is responsible for generating and saving world data, not the client computer. So the only real concern would be wanting to show your friend a rad planet you found in singleplayer and then realizing you're on a server running a different OS, so that planet doesn't exist unless you go to a server with the same OS as yours.

e: gently caress :argh:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Angry Diplomat posted:

I dunno, because when I'm home from work and the kid's been put to bed I like to zone out and chill around collecting and building space stuff for an hour or two? It's certainly a more laid-back experience than Terraria, where every biome has infinitely-spawning hostile monsters, your NPCs are constantly being murdered if you don't build them into a flying bomb shelter, bosses randomly spawn to attack you, and then you activate Hardmode and everything is suffering and death until you scrape together some good gear in between getting slaughtered by mechanical bosses.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I find Starbound a good low-key, "I don't feel like worrying about anything right now" game because you can stop whatever content-unlocking thing you're doing and just dick around looking for vanity items on a colourful planet full of flowers and goofy smiling aliens while relaxing music plays in the background, and if you don't like that planet, there are infinity more planets to go to. You don't starve to death anymore, monsters don't continually spawn to attack you in neutral areas like your ship or the station, if you want to spend an hour gutting and redecorating your ship then you can do that, and if you want to run around fighting poo poo in a bloodyminded attempt to build an idyllic cottage in radioactive poison death hell, you can do that too.

Different strokes :shobon:
loving sucks how Terraria implemented hardmode, lovely hostile hackjob on an existing world, so I can agree with this

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chucklefish posted:

Crafting and inventory windows can be closed by pressing the key or activating the object that opened them
Crafting (and other interfaces) close when you are no longer near the object
Interacting with objects now requires the player have line of sight to them. This means that you cannot sit in chairs, flip switches, or use crafting stations through walls.
Add race-specific craftable storage lockers, accessible from the Robotic Crafting Table.
Fix bug with Erchius Horror causing beams to deal damage in areas different from the visual beam positions
Fix bugs with Targeted Blink which allowed blinking through walls and could result in players being thrown outside of the world. Any characters previously broken by this bug should be usable again.
Fix bugs with server banlist functionality
Fix ‘Not allowed to discard stack when locked’ crash when moving items to/from containers
Fix bug causing servers not to display error messages for some crashes
Support user specific username/password login for servers
Bow tooltips now display damage and energy cost
Container tooltips now display storage capacity
Penguin Bay will now tell players to come back later if no quests are available
Most beds allow players to sleep more comfortably, without armor
More changes to human armor designs, some old designs now available as cosmetic items
Capes now craftable on spinning wheel
Foods that poison/burn you won’t do so for as long
Fix appearance of tents while in use
Fix hand positions of a few items
Make Red Dye craftable to facilitate quest
NPCs spawned on the ship from spawner objects will have clothes again
Human Prison dungeons shouldn’t spawn without shield generators
Add less obtrusive graphics for wire nodes
Fix a few bugs with the custom signs including frame numbers for wired signs and light colors
Added some music tracks and ambience to biomes that were missing them
Added /whereis and /whereami commands to display players’ celestial coordinates
Make Steel Platforms craftable
Make Alien Wood placeable
Various improvements to cat AI
Fix a bug where sounds would build up while invisible, then play all at once
Restore suffocation warning sound
Better loot in microdungeons
Fewer lights in microdungeons
Back items are no longer stackable (for consistency with other armor types
Fix invisible sun
Fix consumable/weapon items ‘queueing’ when switching slots during windup
Add biome parallaxes to some mission dungeons
Lots of tiny changes to descriptions, graphics, object orientations, etc.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I downloaded this cool Metroid armor pack, but it's for an old version, I changed the version from whatever koala to whatever giraffe in the modinfo file, but it still crashes my game when I launch it, any tips?

Edit: it's this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/196/ I'll look at what I need to do to update it tomorow, if I have any luck I'll post it here.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 13, 2015

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Does the armor do anything besides just looking like Metroid armor? If not, it shouldn't be too difficult just going in and copying an existing armor set, changing a few names so it generates an entirely new item instead of replacing, and giving it the Metroid mod's graphics. You'll need your files unpacked though.

It's probably crashing due to how the language mods use to interact with the game proper got changed and now it's incompatible.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Angry Diplomat posted:

Terraria is much more polished and feature-complete, with a smoother progression and some very challenging endgame boss battles to bang your head against.

Starbound in its current form is a considerably chiller game imho. It's really open-ended and beyond a certain point you just kinda contentedly wander the galaxy exploring and making weird food and collecting interesting things. It's relaxing and a good way to unwind.

Any word on 1.3 or whatever? I never really get farther than gold gear before I get distracted or all :ohdear: thinking about hard more activation spewing Hallow and Corruption everywhere and bullethell damage sponge bosses the sterotypical advice for is :darksouls: or Multiplayer.

Because as wonky as Starbounds combat currently is, at least I can take out everything in the game on my own time without begging for help from others.

Angry Diplomat posted:

I dunno, because when I'm home from work and the kid's been put to bed I like to zone out and chill around collecting and building space stuff for an hour or two? It's certainly a more laid-back experience than Terraria, where every biome has infinitely-spawning hostile monsters, your NPCs are constantly being murdered if you don't build them into a flying bomb shelter, bosses randomly spawn to attack you, and then you activate Hardmode and everything is suffering and death until you scrape together some good gear in between getting slaughtered by mechanical bosses.

Your mileage may vary, of course. I find Starbound a good low-key, "I don't feel like worrying about anything right now" game because you can stop whatever content-unlocking thing you're doing and just dick around looking for vanity items on a colourful planet full of flowers and goofy smiling aliens while relaxing music plays in the background, and if you don't like that planet, there are infinity more planets to go to. You don't starve to death anymore, monsters don't continually spawn to attack you in neutral areas like your ship or the station, if you want to spend an hour gutting and redecorating your ship then you can do that, and if you want to run around fighting poo poo in a bloodyminded attempt to build an idyllic cottage in radioactive poison death hell, you can do that too.

Different strokes :shobon:

This about sums up my more optimistic outlooks on Starbound right now.

Also, gently caress yes tooltips for container storage capacity. Bow statistics is also nice, now if only they would add more craftable shields than the first Iron one. Or faster shield recharging, shields scale very poorly in how much they can take even if you get lucky and fine one with 200 health (compared to 100 with iron shield). Perfect guard only goes so far with poorly telegraphed attacks, or multihit stream projectiles from monsters.

That less obtuse deal for wiremods sounds promising. Hopefully they also increase the range of the wire tool so I don't have to keep jumping to hook a ceiling light to a waist high motion sensor...

I like setting up simple but entertaining to me things like "Stepping on telepad sets off alarm and shuts doors" and such.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's a lot of good stuff in that patch. Craftable capes, race-specific storage, alien wood for decoration. A lot of progression and interface fixes. "Invisible sun" is pretty big because I didn't even realize the planet I set as my homeworld doesn't have a visible sunrise, and from what I remember, the sunrise effects are pretty drat good.
But this stands out a lot:

quote:

Fix ‘Not allowed to discard stack when locked’ crash when moving items to/from containers
This is the only crash error I ever got in normal play. I had maybe half a dozen crashes and it was this every time. So at least my own problem's been solved.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

There's a lot of good stuff in that patch. Craftable capes, race-specific storage, alien wood for decoration. A lot of progression and interface fixes.
Alas, it is missing the "better dungeon platforming" fix.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Jackard posted:

Alas, it is missing the "better dungeon platforming" fix.

why dont you take that attitude to the game dev thread and see where that gets you.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rrussom posted:

why dont you take that attitude to the game dev thread and see where that gets you.

S-s-s-slam dunked

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Rrussom posted:

that's :golfclap: worthy

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Davoren posted:

I downloaded this cool Metroid armor pack, but it's for an old version, I changed the version from whatever koala to whatever giraffe in the modinfo file, but it still crashes my game when I launch it, any tips?

Edit: it's this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/starbound/mods/196/ I'll look at what I need to do to update it tomorow, if I have any luck I'll post it here.

I'm not really in the mood for modding tonight but I thought I'd add, if you can't figure out how to do it yourself by tomorrow I might be able to make the mod compatible for you

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Rrussom posted:

Gets you a new custom title :confused:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Is there a way to wear a helmet but have no helmet visible? You can put other items in the customization slot, but there's no option that I can find to just have nothing showing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

mutata posted:

Is there a way to wear a helmet but have no helmet visible? You can put other items in the customization slot, but there's no option that I can find to just have nothing showing.

I know I saw a mod that added an invisible hat you could equip in the social slot for that effect somewhere but I can't seem to find it now. :(

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pakled posted:

I know I saw a mod that added an invisible hat you could equip in the social slot for that effect somewhere but I can't seem to find it now. :(
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-emperors-new-clothes.2021/
This one should work. Also has blanking armor for the torso, leg, and back slots, to boot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vib Rib posted:

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-emperors-new-clothes.2021/
This one should work. Also has blanking armor for the torso, leg, and back slots, to boot.

You know, I was just going to say "I hope they reference 'The Emperor's New Clothes' with that mode, and lo, it was thusly titled.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
It's really hard to go back to building in Terraria after playing Starbound. MM and 2x2 makes things go so smoothly. I just wish Starbound had slops and half blocks

Bob Locke
Dec 31, 2007

The link says this is up, but I can't connect to it. I have the necessary mods so it's not that.

Also is this server gonna get added to the OP? There's a multiplayer section that's looking kinda empty.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bob Locke posted:

Also is this server gonna get added to the OP? There's a multiplayer section that's looking kinda empty.

any day now :v:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Vib Rib posted:

There's a lot of good stuff in that patch. Craftable capes, race-specific storage, alien wood for decoration. A lot of progression and interface fixes. "Invisible sun" is pretty big because I didn't even realize the planet I set as my homeworld doesn't have a visible sunrise, and from what I remember, the sunrise effects are pretty drat good.
But this stands out a lot:

This is the only crash error I ever got in normal play. I had maybe half a dozen crashes and it was this every time. So at least my own problem's been solved.

I really wanted the Teleporter patch that I guess is still coming, but thinking about things... I think I'm actually pretty happy that they focused on bugfixes and small QoL tooltip type stuff. It's definitely needed.

Also, this:

quote:

Various improvements to cat AI

If this is all the stuff I've been seeing in the nightly files, it's actually pretty cool. One thing off the top of my head, it looks like there's some kind of pet feeding system where they'll try out different kinds of foods and see which ones are their favorites (I don't think it's a static list either, I think they "learn" which foods they like), and then if you're holding something they like they'll walk over to you and do a beg animation and stuff.

I guess right now it's just cats, but one imagines they'll implement it for all the pets and have the favorite types be randomized.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Bob Locke posted:

The link says this is up, but I can't connect to it. I have the necessary mods so it's not that.

If the server OP is cool with me putting it up, I sure will add it. Let me know when it's back up and working, or anyone else, if it's working and Bob Locke can't connect due to something on their end or whatever.

I don't want to add a non-functional server to the OP, is all.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Section Z posted:

No Fall damage
Could you post a link to this mod? I tried to google it but did not fins anything good.

I am tired of dying to not very high drops :eng99:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

milward posted:

Could you post a link to this mod? I tried to google it but did not fins anything good.

I am tired of dying to not very high drops :eng99:

Oh right, some kind goon listed a dropbox link shortly before I was hoping for one. I don't know if it's still up or not. A quick reference against my post history let me locate Pakled kindly listing it.

Pakled posted:

No fall damage is a rather simple change, it turns out. Here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dsckbz8scltcu6/NoFallDamage.zip?dl=0

Yes, he is smart. Pakled upload that poo poo on the Starbound site proper for the good of the world/pubbie meltdowns over you "dumbing down the game for casuals". TIA.

milward
Nov 5, 2009

Section Z posted:

Oh right, some kind goon listed a dropbox link shortly before I was hoping for one. I don't know if it's still up or not. A quick reference against my post history let me locate Pakled kindly listing it.

Yes, he is smart. Pakled upload that poo poo on the Starbound site proper for the good of the world/pubbie meltdowns over you "dumbing down the game for casuals". TIA.

Thanks a lot.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
This is pretty cool: https://twitter.com/Supernorn/status/566229849032101889

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRDlIHL0OyA

The object is actually in the game (in the nightly I think? or maybe current unstable?) and works to some degree. You can place one and beam up to your ship with it, at least. It'd be awesome if this was really close. It's a simple change but it'd make a pretty big difference in a number of areas. At the very least, planetary bases would be much more useful.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I keep meaning to see if I can place the various teleporters down in admin mode and they'll still work, but I keep forgetting about it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Supernorn-sama...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

But we already have that, it's called "Save and Quit", though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

That's cool but I also want a way to beam down to that from the ship.

• Locked thread