Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Igor Strelkov posted:

Although those leaders suffer from sample size stuff, when you sort by possessions you Chris Paul, Monta Ellis, etc instead of Danilo and Paul Millsap.

What do you mean by this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Yeah China can have Africa tho.

I'm trying to tie this to basketball and having trouble. Is this a Yao/Hakeem thing?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I am not sure the Suns actually want to trade him, but everyone assumes one of those three PGs is going. I know Rich Paul was sure pushing the "Bledsoe for Randle and Hill" thing a lot but it wasn't a possible trade when it was "rumored" so not sure if the Suns were actually into it. I think if they do dump one it's going to be IT who seems to fit in the least and is probably the easiest to move.

Maybe they just don't want to pay Dragic or lose him for nothing, but I do think people exaggerate that too many PGs thing. They generally have two on the floor at the same time, so it's natural they're going to want more good ones than the average team would be able to find playing time for.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

I'm trying to tie this to basketball and having trouble. Is this a Yao/Hakeem thing?

Guessing it was meant for D&D.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Valanciunas isn't Kanter because JV actually defends the rim at a top 10 NBA level.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

roundmidnight posted:

Valanciunas isn't Kanter because JV actually defends the rim at a top 10 NBA level.

not according to anyone on the Raptor's coaching staff

(but that's mostly because Casey is a caveman)

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

Bashez posted:

What do you mean by this?

Under the "Ball Handler" thing, I think it's sorted by Score Freq by default. So Milsap & Danilo are among the top, but they have a total of like 10-12 possessions. If you sort by Possessions you can see the people who actually handle the ball a lot (i.e. top 3 are Monta, CP3, Lillard) to get an idea of their efficiency. It just seems like "Wow, Danilo Gallinari best ball-handler in the league" until you see "oh, 10 possessions for the year"

hot salad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

roundmidnight posted:

His pick and roll defense is a disaster tho (mostly from Caseys defensive scheme though)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

BWV posted:

not according to anyone on the Raptor's coaching staff

(but that's mostly because Casey is a caveman)

And as for the NOTMOBILEENOUGH crowd, well, that's what we have Patrick loving Patterson for.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought Casey's main reputation coming in as a coach was he at least was a defensive minded guy.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

the wildest turkey posted:

Under the "Ball Handler" thing, I think it's sorted by Score Freq by default. So Milsap & Danilo are among the top, but they have a total of like 10-12 possessions. If you sort by Possessions you can see the people who actually handle the ball a lot (i.e. top 3 are Monta, CP3, Lillard) to get an idea of their efficiency. It just seems like "Wow, Danilo Gallinari best ball-handler in the league" until you see "oh, 10 possessions for the year"

Yeah, it's sorted by points, which is PPP x Possessions. To see efficiency just sort by PPP, it's the useful stat there.

For instance if you wanted to see how garbage Dwight Howard is you can just look at Post ups. Sort by name, find him, and then sort by PPP and see about where he lands. He's the guy right behind Kaman, Glen Davis, and Omer Asik but uses 50% of his possessions as post ups because he's a big dumb idiot that has no idea he shouldn't ever post up and should just keep rolling to the basket.

There's enough play types and guys with low usage that you're going to have a bunch of guys with pretty low possession counts on certain play types. There's going to be a lot of variance there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm a big Kanter fan but he's one of those players like Tyreek Evans who is an against-the-Lakers-only Superstar.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Tae posted:

I thought Casey's main reputation coming in as a coach was he at least was a defensive minded guy.

Casey was credited for the Mavs defensive success the year they won the championship if I remember correctly. His first two years with the Raps the team improved drastically defensively, although skeptics may say this was more of a result of playing Lowry and Amir more and getting rid of Calderon and Bargnani.

This year the defense has been quite bad. Although there are so many poo poo teams in the East it doesn't really get exposed.

Their main problem is permitter D which is most likely a result of having two PGs on the floor at all times. Ross, a decent to pretty good permitter defender at times has lost a lot of minutes to Vasquez and Lou Williams, who are being relied upon to generate offense.

Another problem is that their D scheme relies on jumping the screen on pick-n-rolls. This is quite successful when Amir is healthy but the guy is always beat-up. Patterson and even Psycho D can do it to but not as effectively. Casey doesn't trust JV to do this though and the second the opposing team plays a stretch 4 as their "center" JV sees the bench. Which sucks because he is their best rim protector.

BWV fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 12, 2015

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

1993 dunk contest on NBATV right now. That's the one with Cedric Ceballos and Kenny Smith.

Also Hubie Brown and Doug Collins sound exactly the same.

Edit: Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner!

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rick posted:

I'm a big Kanter fan but he's one of those players like Tyreek Evans who is an against-the-Lakers-only Superstar.

There's actually a name for these guys (on Heat twitter at least). We call them RSHKs. Random Scrub (Your Team Here) Killer.

Evan Fournier is one. So is Jeff Green.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Klay Thompson has signed a shoe deal with Chinese company Anta.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The defensive half of those sportvu stats is just as interesting.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/?OD=defensive

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/off-screen/?OD=defensive&dir=-1&PT=player&sort=Points

Wiggins is surprisingly high here, defending off screen actions. Arron Afflalo showing his value.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/roll-man/?OD=defensive&dir=1&PT=player&sort=Poss
Interesting names for defending the roll man, including Greg Monroe and Enes Kanter

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/isolation/?OD=defensive&dir=1&PT=player&sort=Poss
Eric Bledsoe and Draymonnd Green show up in a lot of interesting places

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

mdemone posted:

1993 dunk contest on NBATV right now. That's the one with Cedric Ceballos and Kenny Smith.

Also Hubie Brown and Doug Collins sound exactly the same.

Edit: Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner!

Early 90s dunk contest were Harold Miner territory IMO. My kid friends and I were all convinced he was going to be a superstar in the league just based on dunk contest.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Those sportVU stats give about as good a view as you could get of a player without actually watching him. Someone is going to make money by creating automated scouting reports based on that data.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Igor Strelkov posted:

Those sportVU stats give about as good a view as you could get of a player without actually watching him. Someone is going to make money by creating automated scouting reports based on that data.

It's synergy data. They have all the video too so you can watch every play of XX as a PnR defender if you wanted.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Igor Strelkov posted:

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/off-screen/?OD=defensive&dir=-1&PT=player&sort=Points

Wiggins is surprisingly high here, defending off screen actions. Arron Afflalo showing his value.

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/roll-man/?OD=defensive&dir=1&PT=player&sort=Poss
Interesting names for defending the roll man, including Greg Monroe and Enes Kanter

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/isolation/?OD=defensive&dir=1&PT=player&sort=Poss

I'm having trouble understanding your analysis. Enes Kanter is in the middle of efficiency defending the roll man, as is Afflalo off screens. I was way more impressed with Faried being really good defending the roll man or Chalmers as maybe the best defenders off screens in the league.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

PantsFreeZone posted:

Klay Thompson has signed a shoe deal with Chinese company Anta.

gross

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Did someone seriously post that Enes Kanter would be an improvement over Roy Hibbert

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I'm having trouble understanding your analysis. Enes Kanter is in the middle of efficiency defending the roll man, as is Afflalo off screens. I was way more impressed with Faried being really good defending the roll man or Chalmers as maybe the best defenders off screens in the league.

I was talking specifically about Score freq for two big unathletic guys who aren't good defenders. As for Afflalo somehow it switched to offensive screen rather than defensive

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Igor Strelkov posted:

You're looking at possessions. It's meaningless in determining how good someone is at something (in theory; bad players will get run at more and good players should go to certain play types more).

PPP; points per possession, is the important stat to look at. Obviously nobody gives a poo poo about somebody that has 5 possessions and allowed a point for .2 so you need to take it in context with total possessions.

Edit: Saw the Wiggins thing and got confused.

Lockback posted:

Super odd that you jump down to Chalmers because he has the most on the first page of the PPP sort.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 12, 2015

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Russ wearing off/white and all white 4's :getin:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bashez posted:

Super odd that you jump down to Chalmers because he has the most on the first page of the PPP sort.

Chalmers has the best PPP of anyone with more than 50 defensive possessions (my totally arbitrary cutoff to try to take into account an average of > 1 per game). Who would you pick? Looking through the screen defense I am pretty sure its pretty random.

edit: I understand, this is only counting times someone shoots while defending the screen. If you defend the screen well, you usually stop a shot from even being attempted. So this list is totally random as it's not counting the successes from truly good screen defenders.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 12, 2015

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Lockback posted:

Chalmers has the best PPP of anyone with more than 50 defensive possessions (my totally arbitrary cutoff to try to take into account an average of > 1 per game). Who would you pick? Looking through the screen defense I am pretty sure its pretty random.

I'd use a lower cutoff is all, you just can't get great numbers on a lot of this stuff so the sample size isn't going to be giant.

Only 36 of 268 players meet the 50 requirement.

Edit: To your edit, yeah, that's fairly accurate. For defense I'm happiest with post defense and isolation defense, in general. All of the others cover way too much rotation and team oriented stuff.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Lockback posted:

edit: I understand, this is only counting times someone shoots while defending the screen. If you defend the screen well, you usually stop a shot from even being attempted. So this list is totally random as it's not counting the successes from truly good screen defenders.

Yeah I think so. And if the Heat sent a 3rd defender to help cover the pick and roll and it results in a couple passes and a made 3, I don't think thats counted against Chalmers either.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Yeah I think so. And if the Heat sent a 3rd defender to help cover the pick and roll and it results in a couple passes and a made 3, I don't think thats counted against Chalmers either.

A pick and roll isn't an off screen play but yes, totally botching going over a screen and having someone bail you out with help defense will make you look good.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Westbrook looks like a candy cane

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did someone seriously post that Enes Kanter would be an improvement over Roy Hibbert

Yes, I did. Kanter is better than Hibbert. Hibbert is a better shot blocker, but Kanter is better at literally everything else. They've even played almost identical games/minutes this season so they are very easy to compare.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=kanteen01&y2=2015&p2=hibbero01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
How the hell is Roy Hibbert shooting under 50%?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Enes Kanter can also keep his balance like a normal human being

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

How much better than Bill Russell can one guy be?

Libertine posted:

Yes, I did. Kanter is better than Hibbert. Hibbert is a better shot blocker, but Kanter is better at literally everything else. They've even played almost identical games/minutes this season so they are very easy to compare.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&y1=2015&p1=kanteen01&y2=2015&p2=hibbero01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Look at the bottom right of your link. Hibbert's a better player because he'll contribute way more defensively.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Libertine posted:

Hibbert is definitely dogshit on offense but I thought I read recently that he was still a top tier rim protector which is something I value in a center more highly than just about anything else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PantsFreeZone posted:

He is really awkward in the paint. When his offense was clicking it still looked awkward so I am not terribly surprised by the regression. Still, he's a big guy and he knows how to use his body, even if its not pretty. When the Pacers get PG back and he can get better looks by having more attention on the perimeter he'll probably look better.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bashez posted:

It's synergy data. They have all the video too so you can watch every play of XX as a PnR defender if you wanted.
I just noticed that. I'm having a hard time thinking today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Libertine posted:

Looks like Hibbert has more WS and WS/48 because he's good at defense. Hibbert is better than Kanter.

• Locked thread