Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's a pretty common thing in movies to have a treasure map that's split into a bunch of pieces. Sometimes each piece has a code or something but its pretty common for it to be a normal map that got ripped in half.

Even when they know he general area and they have the bit with the x, everyone still acts like you need the whole map.

Can I post my favorite example of this?
http://vimeo.com/58179094

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Firstborn posted:

Hah, that's a really clever take on the whole conceit! It definitely makes me yearn for more adventure movies where the journey itself is the grand reward, not some treasure.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

Hah, that's a really clever take on the whole conceit! It definitely makes me yearn for more adventure movies where the journey itself is the grand reward, not some treasure.

I like this take.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zaphod42 posted:

I'd be thinking "okay this guy is a basketcase, better play along" and a cop would probably know even better.

PYF Rational Irritating Real Life Moments: when some goon says "If someone pointed a gun at me I'd be all cool and poo poo :smuggo:". No, you loving wouldn't. You'd be pissing your pants.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Firstborn posted:

I knew what this was before I clicked, then clicked anyway because it owns.

I think a movie-length version of this story could be great, but deep down inside I know I would end up rushing to this thread to post about how they changed the message from "the treasure is having an awesome adventure, growing as a person and escaping the banality of unsatisfying daily routine" to "the treasure was inside you all along!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Disgusting Coward posted:

One of the major themes of Looper was how all the criminals actually sucked rear end at being criminals. They were all trained in a single role [Looper, Gat Man et cetera] and all of them loving sucked. The Looper couldn't do his job as soon as a dude was ready for him, the Gat Men couldn't actually shoot anyone who was trying to not be shot. Jeff Daniels is a loving dolt, and only has any kind of clout as a Crime Dude because OMG HE'S FROM THE FUTURE. They all suck balls at it. They have a time machine, and they use it for an incredibly convoluted corpse disposal system, and only one guy in the history of crime has the smarts to put some money aside and plan for his old age.

So, when they go to whack Bruce Willis, and the nice Asian Wife appears holding a thing that looks kind of like a gun, they panic and shoot her on instinct. Because they suck and are stupid. That's a recurring theme. Stupid dumb criminals.

It's also explained that the Rainmarker's so powerful, he doesn't give a poo poo anymore. You can't arrest a telekinetic god. That's why he's shutting down the Loopers.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Aphrodite posted:

It's also explained that the Rainmarker's so powerful, he doesn't give a poo poo anymore. You can't arrest a telekinetic god. That's why he's shutting down the Loopers.

The problem is that by that standard sending the loopers back makes even less sense, since he could just kill them there and then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIRC the director actually had an explanation as to why you couldn't get away with murder in the future but like the mechanics of time travel he cut it out as it wasn't super relevant to the story. You just need to know that its a fact.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

The problem is that by that standard sending the loopers back makes even less sense, since he could just kill them there and then.

It basically ties back into the way how the criminals have no goddamn clue how time-travel actually works and have developed a superstitious view of it. They do things the way they always did because they know that works and won't screw something up. After all, in their own past the old versions of the Loopers have already been sent back and killed, so if they don't follow up and uphold their end of that loop, they might risk causing some kind of paradox.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Non Serviam posted:

That doesn't send the message to them though.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Aphrodite posted:

That doesn't send the message to them though.

It'd be a better message "don't be paranoid, we won't kill you in the future."
Then they wouldn't see it coming

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Non Serviam posted:

It'd be a better message "don't be paranoid, we won't kill you in the future."
Then they wouldn't see it coming

If you change it up, that gives the people in the past a reason to be nervous and they may actually be able to stop you if they start putting things together.

Plus, he hates loopers because one killed his mom, he probably gets a kick out of making them kill themselves. He's definitely operating openly in the bits of 2070 they show with the news clips and whatnot, I doubt he's doing it to be stealthy.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Firstborn posted:

I'd prefer a version that doesn't treat women as prizes. The beginning and end turn what could be a rather good short movie into MRA.mp4 complete with fan service upskirt.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'd prefer a version of your avatar that doesn't treat hunks as objects. :colbert:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

pr0zac posted:

I'd prefer a version that doesn't treat women as prizes. The beginning and end turn what could be a rather good short movie into MRA.mp4 complete with fan service upskirt.

You sound like a really fun person. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

PYF Rational Irritating Real Life Moments: when some goon says "If someone pointed a gun at me I'd be all cool and poo poo :smuggo:". No, you loving wouldn't. You'd be pissing your pants.

That's not what I said though... :v:

I said I'd play along, not play it cool. I didn't say I'd karate chop the gun out of his hand. I said I'd tell him whatever he wanted. Crazy people are crazy dangerous, even without a gun.

What I meant about the cop is that the cop would probably recognize this is somebody who is off his meds or something, and not get all violent with him. (Although with US cops that's a crapshoot)

Firstborn posted:

That was great.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:42 on Feb 12, 2015

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

pr0zac posted:

It's definitely kind of sexist. It helps that the gag at the end acknowledges that, the women have stories and motivations too, but at the same time it implies that their quest is to look hot rather than to be interesting or accomplished. Deciding that that makes the whole thing Bad and a symbol of the guys you don't like from the internet strikes me as a mistake though.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not what I said though... :v:

I said I'd play along, not play it cool. I didn't say I'd karate chop the gun out of his hand. I said I'd tell him whatever he wanted. Crazy people are crazy dangerous, even without a gun.

I've had a shotgun pointed at my head in a robbery of the restaurant I worked at (Bob Evans, Morrow, Ga) and IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY this is exactly what your mind TELLS you to do, but your hands and mouth may or may not cooperate. I didn't piss myself. I was unable to get the safe open the first three tries. (To be honest, it was difficult to get open when things were going RIGHT.) I was also babbling like a child. I recognized the person robbing the store (he'd been fired as a dishtanker just a week before) so I kept telling him things that, in my panic, I hoped would fool him into thinking I DIDN'T recognize him, because I thought if he knew I knew who he was, he'd shoot me. So I said things like "Be careful, the back door has an alarm" and I don't remember what else. Like, giving directions.

The police got there about 10 minutes after the robbery and I spent the next hour in the bathroom puking and shaking. And I quit the job that night. I'll never be responsible for having the safe code anywhere else I ever work again.

*sorry, STDH, I pulled my katana from its hidden sheath and carved my full name into his chest while disarming him, and laughed. And that name...

was Albert Einstein.*

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

I've had a shotgun pointed at my head in a robbery of the restaurant I worked at (Bob Evans, Morrow, Ga) and IN MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY this is exactly what your mind TELLS you to do, but your hands and mouth may or may not cooperate. I didn't piss myself. I was unable to get the safe open the first three tries. (To be honest, it was difficult to get open when things were going RIGHT.) I was also babbling like a child. I recognized the person robbing the store (he'd been fired as a dishtanker just a week before) so I kept telling him things that, in my panic, I hoped would fool him into thinking I DIDN'T recognize him, because I thought if he knew I knew who he was, he'd shoot me. So I said things like "Be careful, the back door has an alarm" and I don't remember what else. Like, giving directions.

The police got there about 10 minutes after the robbery and I spent the next hour in the bathroom puking and shaking. And I quit the job that night. I'll never be responsible for having the safe code anywhere else I ever work again.

*sorry, STDH, I pulled my katana from its hidden sheath and carved my full name into his chest while disarming him, and laughed. And that name...

was Albert Einstein.*

Jesus christ, that's horrifying.

Just on a tangent from that, I watched an episode of a series that have people with some sort of sordid past on live tv, where people can text/phone/video in questions. I saw one episode with a former bank robber, and a victim of a stickup sent a video detailing how it affected him ever since. Basically severe PTSD and extreme social anxiety many years later. The bank robber in question never used a real gun and would never hurt anyone (in hindsight anyway), but he was very taken aback by how badly scarred his victims would be after the deed. He has been rehabilitated since then, but it was interesting to hear how little it took for a young kid with an aggressive attitude and looking for a quick score, could affect so many people.

I hope you are in a better place.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Just saw X-men First Class (because I had nothing to do) and do movies just not notice anymore that they made the character who betrays them hispanic and the first mutant to die the black guy?

EDIT: Holy poo poo dude that sounds terrifying. You sound like you held up better than I would have.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ZeusCannon posted:

Just saw X-men First Class (because I had nothing to do) and do movies just not notice anymore that they made the character who betrays them hispanic and the first mutant to die the black guy?

EDIT: Holy poo poo dude that sounds terrifying. You sound like you held up better than I would have.

Wait until the sequel. A coworker likes to talk about how all the white heroes spend the movie sitting comfortably in a room while the minority superheroes all get brutally murdered by robots outside. Then, just before the minorities are overwhelmed they send out the only Jew as reinforcement.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
But Shadowcat is Jewish & is integral to the whole time travel shenanigans...

I with they just used another mutant instead of giving Kitty that stupid astral time travel ability.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wild T posted:

Wait until the sequel. A coworker likes to talk about how all the white heroes spend the movie sitting comfortably in a room while the minority superheroes all get brutally murdered by robots outside. Then, just before the minorities are overwhelmed they send out the only Jew as reinforcement.

What about Kitty Pryde as she is also jewish

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is "made of ice" a minority now?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZeusCannon posted:

Perhaps you should consider that "the black guy dies first" is not any form of racial issue on the film directors' part (subconscious or not), but instead the part of the audience for placing weight and a cliche on something that means absolutely nothing. Although I guess this isn't the Rationally Irritating Movie Moments thread.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

Perhaps you should consider that "the black guy dies first" is not any form of racial issue on the film directors' part (subconscious or not), but instead the part of the audience for placing weight and a cliche on something that means absolutely nothing. Although I guess this isn't the Rationally Irritating Movie Moments thread.

Yeah, noticing racism is the REAL racism!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
what's that? x-men, the story that is an allegory for racism and class descrimination, contains racial undertones? well i'll be

edit: But really it's all in your head, sorry to say, as a logical thinking human being who does not draw connections from nowhere I have to shoot you down on this one

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

More Revenge

At the end of season one it is insanely insanely stupid and out of character for Emily to not kill the white haired guy. He knows her name, he wants her dead, he knows the gist of her role in things, and suddenly Emily who has been cold and calculating the whole season decides not to kill the person who deserves it most. And then it comes back to bite her in the rear end, because OF COURSE IT DID.

Then in the first episode of season 2 we learn that not only is Victoria still alive, but she's working with the white haired guy...who apparently hasn't told her "hey this Emily girl is actually Amanda Clark and she is out to ruin you all". Maybe they explain it later but it's just so dumb it hurts. If the thing in the first spoiler had gone differently EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Making fallacious arguments doesn't do much to cement your status as the sane rational man in this, a true sea of madness.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Like 30 humans die before Darwin does. Are human lives worth less than mutant lives?

That's something Magneto would say. You monster.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The first mutant to betray them isn't Hispanic in the source material? I'm genuinely asking. I guess I was drinking the Kool-Aid, because I didn't notice the "black guy dies first" in the movie probably because as mutants they all represent oppressed minorities. My favorite run of X-Men is a short stint where mutant = gay with almost no other way to interpret the intentions.

I don't like Kung-Fu for no reason. I was watching Banshee the other day, and the older Amish villain who never gets his hands dirty is shown practicing the most chopsocky of Kung-Fu strikes and blocks in his spare time. Maybe it's Chekov's Karate Chop and it'll come to play in some future episode, but I don't see why it couldn't have just been boxing a heavy bag or something instead of using an elaborate limbed tree to simulate attacking appendages and poo poo.

E: Under the vegetable do you do a search for "racism" or something before you post? I swear I've only seen you post in response to discriminatory stuff. I mean no offense.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Feb 12, 2015

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

Is "made of ice" a minority now?

You know any other dudes made out of ice?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Android Bicyclist posted:

But Shadowcat is Jewish & is integral to the whole time travel shenanigans...

I with they just used another mutant instead of giving Kitty that stupid astral time travel ability.

Or maybe they could have stuck to the source material where she's the one that goes on the time-travel adventure instead of using her to let good ol' Wolvy do it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Hugh Jackman is the biggest draw of the movies, and Wolverine is the biggest draw of X-Men. The joke used to be "Wolverine is on the cover of every book except the bible" at Marvel. I don't think they made a mistake there.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Or maybe they could have stuck to the source material where she's the one that goes on the time-travel adventure instead of using her to let good ol' Wolvy do it.

It would have worked if they went to the future, but going to the past the only character that was an option was Wolverine as he was already seen in First Class.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I didn't realize I was that bad, haha. For what it's worth I also post about how seriously I take enjoying metal gear solid, and also pro wrestling. I just get worked up when people do the ol', "actually you're the real racist for perceiving racism" deal.

I haven't even seen the movie. I'm that bad. Trying to shut someone down and accuse them of racism for noticing something, even if they're wrong, just doesn't seem nice!

Under the vegetable has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Feb 12, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Under the vegetable posted:

I didn't realize I was that bad, haha. For what it's worth I also post about how seriously I take enjoying metal gear solid, and also pro wrestling. I just get worked up when people do the ol', "actually you're the real racist for perceiving racism" deal.

I haven't even seen the movie. I'm that bad. Trying to shut someone down and accuse them of racism for noticing something, even if they're wrong, just doesn't seem nice!

For the record that isn't even what I was implying with the post, I was saying that the cliche itself of "the black guy dies first" does not have a racial undertone to it at all unless you give it one. It is a real cliche, but it's at least partly invented by the audience; but at the same time that does not magically make you be racist for doing so. I guess I phrased it poorly.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Feb 12, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Under the vegetable posted:

I didn't realize I was that bad, haha.

I want to be clear that I meant no offense, and I understand getting worked up over that. I wouldn't use the term "bad"... I'd say... "prolific". :)

E: If it's any consolation, I usually agree with what you are arguing re: discrimination.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Feb 12, 2015

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If Darwin adapts perfectly to any environment he's in, why was he a black guy in 1960's America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If Darwin adapts perfectly to any environment he's in, why was he a black guy in 1960's America?

This is the question you all should actually be asking.