Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think the only reason people are afraid of the BBBBZ lists is that Ron had been running it at nova and since we have a prominent footprint on the community it's magnifying the actual results. Lots of people have been getting tired of the Fat Han lists and since the Decimator was popular they made the thing to counter it. Ron's also really good with the list.

I'm at school and not there at the moment so I've temporarily lost contact with most of the people. I don't know how many events Paul has shown up to and what his preferred squad is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Strobe posted:

The best players in this area run lots of Decimator/Whisper, and an almost equal number of them run a Fat Han/Epic Dash plus Chewie squad. At least, the Tulsa tournament I went to ended up with something ridiculous like one non-two ship build breaking to top 8.

That's basically how the meta is around here too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm actually glad the phantom has seen play again so I can justify the gunner crew I use on Han.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It really surprises me how active Nova is here on SA (it gets referenced, at least) when my area is totally absent despite having (apparently) large numbers of good players. (Kansas City/Lambda City [who came up with that name?])

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I used to live in KC ( now in NC) but in the 2+ years this game has been going I haven't heard ANYTHING about x-wing there. Where do you guys even play? Did anyone go to Worlds? I didn't overhear anyone talking about KC/K or KC/MO.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Carteret posted:

I used to live in KC ( now in NC) but in the 2+ years this game has been going I haven't heard ANYTHING about x-wing there. Where do you guys even play? Did anyone go to Worlds? I didn't overhear anyone talking about KC/K or KC/MO.

We had eight people at worlds, and a couple (particularly Gavin, best name for an X-wing player) even broke to top... 16 was it? He's got the templates from worlds. Game Cafe in Independence has a huge X-wing night every Wednesday with 15-20 people, and there are at least three other shops that host events and games. Only two (Game Cafe and Collecter's Cache in Olathe) are doing Store Championships this year though. One shop opened too recently to get it set up in time, but the other of the big shops in the area (Tabletop) just didn't do it for some reason I can't fathom.

The X-wing scene is probably one of the two or three most actives games in the entire metro area, second maybe to 40k.

One of the guys who plays and organizes stuff around here does the Team Covenant podcasts, Ricky White. He organized a weekly X-wing league with folks from all over the city. We're going to start the third season of that here in a month or so, with no fewer than 16 people each season. It's a really competitive area.

EDIT: I wonder if it's because none of them except me are goons.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 12, 2015

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

The Gate posted:

Two ship lists are getting eaten by the 4b1z list, with no need for kneejerk banning stuff. Which in turn will lead to lists designed to best 4 and 5 ship rebels. Which will lead to two ship super lists. Welcome to a healthy metagame.

Edit: it's definitely not a perfect system right now, but there really isn't a single list that just dominates all others anymore.

BBBBZ loses (hard) to many of the two-ship lists in an untimed environment, though. It's basically a gamesmanship list that only works because the tournament rules are weak.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Fetterkey posted:

BBBBZ loses (hard) to many of the two-ship lists in an untimed environment, though. It's basically a gamesmanship list that only works because the tournament rules are weak.

You can equally easily argue that a phantom that can only win if it has two hours to roll dice dice at ships that can't catch it is a gamesmanship list. The b swarm at least engages decisively once it decides to, and is fully capable of dealing a lot of damage fast.

Whisper and Fel play the clock hard, despite how much I love them, and they're entirely functional only because of how PS works. There's a reason autothrusters are being printed in spite of how good Fel is.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
My AAEE list from a page or two ago works like that, and it's so fun to fly. I'm think of turning it to AAAE last with three Greens with PTL/VI and Autothrusters and one Blackmoon with R7/FCS.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Strobe posted:

My AAEE list from a page or two ago works like that, and it's so fun to fly. I'm think of turning it to AAAE last with three Greens with PTL/VI and Autothrusters and one Blackmoon with R7/FCS.

PtL greens are something I really want to try out, is VI to get to PS 5 helping you out a lot, or just the best choice for cheap? I look at outmaneuver for them a lot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I actually saw an unusual number of A-Wings in my store championship. IIRC the person that came in first flew AAXBB (it was one of the guys I faced). I did see an AAEE list, as well as one A-wing swarm list. It's something I was glad to see. Actually, the one ship I didn't see in the tourney was the TIE Advanced (yes, someone did bring a TIE Bomber list).

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wouldn't the BBBZ lists be vulnerable to slightly higher skilled pilots and the like, for example even a Sigma Sq. Phantom with Adv. Cloaking Device?

I know I have two Phantoms, when I first got them I was seriously considering running two Sigmas or Shadows with Adv Cloak in order to snipe off lists which had a ton of generics. I suppose the diversity of lists available is a bonus.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The BBBBZ lists would probably get shredded by the old Fel/whisper + lambdas lists since those are more granular with their large ships. They'd lose the 25 point ships at the same time but whisper can prey on them a lot faster. I bet Steve, who took 2nd in the last nova open, would love the current meta.

Strobe posted:

It really surprises me how active Nova is here on SA (it gets referenced, at least) when my area is totally absent despite having (apparently) large numbers of good players. (Kansas City/Lambda City [who came up with that name?])

That's probably cuz of my posting. But, if the distribution of posters is anywhere similar to the magic thread we have a lot of people living in the DMV area.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I am moist at the prospect of running a pair of Sigmas with ACD and things, the BBBZ thing hasn't reaaaaally filtered down where I am yet but I look forward to it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Problem with that is that it will get crushed by anything that isn't a BBBBZ and that has a higher PS pilot with post-movement options.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt6vl_bw6dM

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhCUgO_Rjzg

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

The Gate posted:

PtL greens are something I really want to try out, is VI to get to PS 5 helping you out a lot, or just the best choice for cheap? I look at outmaneuver for them a lot.

Mostly cheap. Ptl is drat near mandatory for an evade tanky list for that glorious focus evade combo. VI just happens to put them above most generic pilots for best arc dodging.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Speaking of KC X-Wing stuff, there's a pretty healthy community at Pulp Fiction in Lee's Summit. Until recently I worked evenings/nights so I never got to go play, but there's at least 6-8 guys that play there, plus bigger turnouts for stuff like the Kessel Run and the like

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Man, the Rebel Assault games were hilarious. I'm still convinced they chose the dopiest guy possible to be the protagonist in RA2.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Well, if you're looking for an everyman to stand-in for '90's Star Wars fans...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My xwing storage technique has advanced!

It's a 2-inch tubevelope!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Are those the bank things? :vince: that's amazing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Remember that thread about shipping delays? Welp, look what was just posted to nova squadron's page:

Link's here, but it's exactly what you think it is.

I don't know if it's worse that this guy is that politically derpy or that this is the grown up version of throwing a tantrum cuz your toys aren't here yet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Literally always going to side with the people who invented the 40 hour work week. It'll be nice to have the time to play with my dumb toys when they get here.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Poopy Palpy posted:

Literally always going to side with the people who invented the 40 hour work week. It'll be nice to have the time to play with my dumb toys when they get here.

Ditto, plus having a living wage enough to afford to spend on those toys.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Strobe posted:

Southeast PA here - Pittsburgh really. There is a group that we compete with in Latrobe and in Morgantown, WV. At the moment, we hold the trophy (named the Outrider Cup).

We also are finishing up season 2 of our league, of which we have 15 players (started with 18, but people dropped). We've been talking about going to 2 leagues - one entry level, and one for Veterans, think Premier League Football in Europe.

We had a couple guys play in nationals last year, I don't think anyone bothered to go to worlds. Ed and Chad from NOVA squadron podcast are out of Latrobe (our hated rivals), so Store Championship season has seen some fun there so far, with locals taking the Akron, OH tourney and first Pittsburgh tourney going to one of our top guys, and us and Latrobe setting up carpools to compete.

All in all, we have a very good group, with all skill levels, and a hell of a local meta that doesn't lag.very far at.all behind the state of the art.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Pretty much likewise on all counts. We've got a rivalry with Omaha, though I don't think there's a trophy for it. We just march up and win all of their store championships, and they do the same to us. When the folks around here went down to Tulsa, fully 50% of the top 8 were from KC, 75% of the top 4 (because two played each other), and both of the finalists.

jivjov posted:

Speaking of KC X-Wing stuff, there's a pretty healthy community at Pulp Fiction in Lee's Summit. Until recently I worked evenings/nights so I never got to go play, but there's at least 6-8 guys that play there, plus bigger turnouts for stuff like the Kessel Run and the like

Lee's Summit is quite a trip from me (Lansing/Leavenworth area). Do you ever go up to Game Cafe in Independence? Their Wednesdays are apparently pretty huge, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest considering that John won his own store championship. Lots of good play going on up there. If I had a compelling reason to go out there on a given Wednesday (and a goonmeet absolutely counts) I'd play you a couple games.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I wish X-Wing was out when I lived in Merriam :( I have to drive 2+ Hours (one way) to play with all the Raleigh/Durham goons in NC. They are awesome, but that drive is a long start and end to an already long day of dogfighting.

Netrunner is even worse.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Val Helmethead posted:

Southeast PA here - Pittsburgh really. There is a group that we compete with in Latrobe and in Morgantown, WV. At the moment, we hold the trophy (named the Outrider Cup).

We also are finishing up season 2 of our league, of which we have 15 players (started with 18, but people dropped). We've been talking about going to 2 leagues - one entry level, and one for Veterans, think Premier League Football in Europe.

We had a couple guys play in nationals last year, I don't think anyone bothered to go to worlds. Ed and Chad from NOVA squadron podcast are out of Latrobe (our hated rivals), so Store Championship season has seen some fun there so far, with locals taking the Akron, OH tourney and first Pittsburgh tourney going to one of our top guys, and us and Latrobe setting up carpools to compete.

All in all, we have a very good group, with all skill levels, and a hell of a local meta that doesn't lag.very far at.all behind the state of the art.

I'm a Pittsburgh goon too! Just started playing with the group a few weeks ago.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Strobe posted:

We had eight people at worlds, and a couple (particularly Gavin, best name for an X-wing player) even broke to top... 16 was it? He's got the templates from worlds. Game Cafe in Independence has a huge X-wing night every Wednesday with 15-20 people, and there are at least three other shops that host events and games. Only two (Game Cafe and Collecter's Cache in Olathe) are doing Store Championships this year though. One shop opened too recently to get it set up in time, but the other of the big shops in the area (Tabletop) just didn't do it for some reason I can't fathom.

The X-wing scene is probably one of the two or three most actives games in the entire metro area, second maybe to 40k.

One of the guys who plays and organizes stuff around here does the Team Covenant podcasts, Ricky White. He organized a weekly X-wing league with folks from all over the city. We're going to start the third season of that here in a month or so, with no fewer than 16 people each season. It's a really competitive area.

EDIT: I wonder if it's because none of them except me are goons.

Me and my roommate live in Greensboro and there aren't any game stores around so we generally just play with each other. I've been meaning to come up to Raleigh\Durham for a few games at some point though. I often do stuff on Saturday mornings and evenings and most of these events seem to be at noon so I haven't managed to squeak one in, but I'll be free at some point. Where was worlds again?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Go full ludicrous EU and print a StealthX title for the Xwing that adds a cloak action.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gammatron 64 posted:

Me and my roommate live in Greensboro and there aren't any game stores around so we generally just play with each other. I've been meaning to come up to Raleigh\Durham for a few games at some point though. I often do stuff on Saturday mornings and evenings and most of these events seem to be at noon so I haven't managed to squeak one in, but I'll be free at some point. Where was worlds again?

Middle of nowhere Minnesota. I'm considering going there this year but it's such a pain and pretty expensive. Though if it's the same as last year, at least the promo card will subsidize your hotel.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Middle of nowhere Minnesota. I'm considering going there this year but it's such a pain and pretty expensive. Though if it's the same as last year, at least the promo card will subsidize your hotel.

Ohhh, okay, I like X-Wing and all but not enough to go all the way to Minnesota for it.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

if non-raleigh goons wanna set up a goon playday in Raleigh sometime I'm down for that

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

General Battuta posted:

Go full ludicrous EU and print a StealthX title for the Xwing that adds a cloak action.

I would put money on FFG giving the Rebels a stealth ship of some description. Maybe a StealthX upgrade in a new Rebel Aces pack.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

alg posted:

if non-raleigh goons wanna set up a goon playday in Raleigh sometime I'm down for that

I would be.

It's also kinda crazy just how many goons I know in this state.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I just realized that Nova squadron is probably in NOVA somewhere. I should look into that, even if it does mean going to virginia.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

I'm down for that. We have a bunch of stores to pick from to meet at after all.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

NC goon-meet for nerdgames? I'm down. I live in Wilmington.

e: I'm new and bad at this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Sadsack posted:

I would put money on FFG giving the Rebels a stealth ship of some description. Maybe a StealthX upgrade in a new Rebel Aces pack.

Sometimes I read the fact that the Stygium Particle Accelerator isn't limited to the Phantom as a hint that maybe some other ship will be able to make use of it, and sometimes it seems like they just didn't waste space on the card because they knew nothing else would be able to cloak.

• Locked thread