Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Dammit, why does the collective American appetite for vehicles have to be so bad?

If the Mazda5 hadn't been so outdated by 2013, I might've bought one instead of the CR-V. The fact that they never bothered giving it the Skyactiv engine treatment sure made it look a lot less appealing in terms of mileage, though.

But, probably not, my wife hates the idea of sliding doors even if they are vastly more practical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

How do you like the Accord wagons? I assume you're basically happy with them, given there are 2 in your driveway, but I'm curious about how they drive. I see them around sometimes and I like the look.

Are they available with extra-interesting drivetrains or other options? The wikipedia page mentionsn VTEC (yo).

The extra-interesting feature of the early 90s Accord is that they are effectively unkillable. I used to have a coworker whose 91 Accord wagon was on the half million kilometer mark.

He was upset because it needed a clutch.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

If the Mazda5 hadn't been so outdated by 2013, I might've bought one instead of the CR-V.
We bought my wife a CR-V, I like it.

It understeers like a fat pig, but will power back around a corner with minimal traction control intrusion. I wouldn't call it nimble, but still kinda entertaining.... Especially since I DD a truck currently. :saddowns:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

priznat posted:

North Americans just love body lean I guess!

I got tons of crap in the car recommendation thread for not getting a bmw 5 series GT. They didn't bring the wagon to North America (don't worry I still have an E61 in the garage), and the GT had a ton of body roll. I couldn't find an example with the active suspension and I didn't want to risk said suspension not completely eliminating roll. It's a shame, because the F11 wagon is awesome and the GT is a pig that rides just a little too high.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I find the GT style completely baffling. It doesn't seem functional like a wagon or proper hatch, and doesn't have the trunk either. I just don't get it. But then I think BMW lost its way when they brought in the x5 (which shows I would be terrible at business because it has been a massive success).

The current 3 series seems priced really high for even the base option level, also.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

priznat posted:

I find the GT style completely baffling. It doesn't seem functional like a wagon or proper hatch, and doesn't have the trunk either. I just don't get it. But then I think BMW lost its way when they brought in the x5 (which shows I would be terrible at business because it has been a massive success).

The current 3 series seems priced really high for even the base option level, also.

The X5 was a while ago. The GT and all that stuff is newer, and it's all about chasing volume I guess, but it still weirds me out and I don't want one.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

The X5 was a while ago. The GT and all that stuff is newer, and it's all about chasing volume I guess, but it still weirds me out and I don't want one.

Oh I know, it has been a while.. I had an X3 as a loaner one time and I thought it was godawful (I have an e46 rwd MT wagon). Too high and the tyres felt weird (run flats I guess)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

angryhampster may be in the market for a wagon this year.

We've got a kid on the way this summer, and our 2-door Focus will probably be a tremendous pain in the butt to use a baby seat with. The Focus is an '08 with 120k miles on it..can probably sell outright for $4-5k easily.

I don't want to spend much more than that on a car. Obviously this limits my options and the 'new' wagon will have between 120-200k mi to fit in our price range. Secondary vehicle so MPG isn't a huge concern. Wife requires auto trans. What I'm considering:

1. BMW 5xx t (e39) ..my favorite BMW body. 6 and 8 cyl options both pretty reliable aside from cooling system. What are the other potential issues?
2. Subaru Forester/Impreza. I know nothing about them other than they need headgaskets and timing sets before 120k.
3. Volvo V70/XC70. I know nothing about these other thing I love the way they look.

This is what I'm considering, but open to other suggestions as well. Would also consider a 5-door hatchback but prefer wagon space.

Of these options..which one would be the least of a nightmare?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

angryhampster posted:

3. Volvo V70/XC70. I know nothing about these other thing I love the way they look.

Are either of you tall? If so the back seat isn't really that great in these, I'm 6' and couldn't fit the baby seat behind the driver's seat. Didn't really matter because I'm single so the baby seat just went on the passenger side. But even as a toddler my kid would not have enough legroom if the passenger seat was all the way back.

Other than that, shop for 03 and newer, preferably 05 and newer. The 01-02 models have a time bomb tranny and they facelifted a lot of things in 05, and also had the reliability really dialed in. Still some expensive maintenance items once the mileage hits 100k unless you're down for doing a 5 hour PCV replacement yourself. I think the perfect mileage to buy one of these is either 60k or 120k, because at 60k you'll have 50k miles before major maintenance, or at 120k most major maintenance should have been done already.

Other than that, they're drat safe and drat comfortable. A very classy ride. If you have a huge maintenance budget go nuts and get a V70R. Hottest baby hauler ever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I went and tried out a new xc70 and was pretty sad I couldn't fit. The steering column is too big and doesn't go up high enough to get my knees under it comfortably. Ditto the v60 and xc60 but that makes sense since they are smaller overall.

The new Subaru Outback is ok though, and it is the strongest contender yet. I may check out the Allroad but it's too much, like the bmw 3 wagon. The VW sportswagon is another possibility when it arrives. But the subie is pretty nice (3.6 limited most likely).

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
The e39 loves to eat bushings. Its a heavy german performance saloon. Other than that and the afforementioned GDCS, the screens in the gauge cluster can go bad and some of them that got GM-sourced automatics have "lifetime fluid" which means, they're gonna die.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Trawling through classifieds, I think approximately two (2) people bought RWD CTS wagons after 2010. :smith:

(V's not included)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Trawling through classifieds, I think approximately two (2) people bought RWD CTS wagons after 2010. :smith:

(V's not included)

I haven't seen any listed here in the 8 months or so I've been semi-actively looking so I kind of gave up :(

At this point I'm waiting for the new Golf Sportswagon (spelled with an "o" in Canada for some reason) comes out before buying but it's between that, the GTI (not a wagon) or the outback (not really a wagon anymore either). Sigh.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

priznat posted:

I haven't seen any listed here in the 8 months or so I've been semi-actively looking so I kind of gave up :(

At this point I'm waiting for the new Golf Sportswagon (spelled with an "o" in Canada for some reason) comes out before buying but it's between that, the GTI (not a wagon) or the outback (not really a wagon anymore either). Sigh.

There's a 2013 wagon in Ontario and that's about it. :smith:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

El Scotch posted:

(V's not included)

I haven't seen another wagon in months, -V or otherwise. They're rare all over, which makes for some very confused people sometimes. A guy on a brand new Harley VRod wanted to play yesterday, and got on it next to me at a light and probably had a full second jump on me. By 4th I was ahead of him and then backed out of it. Some kids in an Altima come screaming up beside me at the next light and stared, very confused, for the 30 seconds it took for the light to change. CTS wagons are fun. :)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Are either of you tall? If so the back seat isn't really that great in these, I'm 6' and couldn't fit the baby seat behind the driver's seat. Didn't really matter because I'm single so the baby seat just went on the passenger side. But even as a toddler my kid would not have enough legroom if the passenger seat was all the way back.
This is true of pretty much every modern rear-facing infant seat, in anything except a Chevy caprice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tremek posted:

I haven't seen another wagon in months, -V or otherwise. They're rare all over, which makes for some very confused people sometimes. A guy on a brand new Harley VRod wanted to play yesterday, and got on it next to me at a light and probably had a full second jump on me. By 4th I was ahead of him and then backed out of it. Some kids in an Altima come screaming up beside me at the next light and stared, very confused, for the 30 seconds it took for the light to change. CTS wagons are fun. :)

There's like 2-3 v wagons in Redlands, CA. We also have an E63 AMG wagon here. Dunno why, but cool i guess.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

nm posted:

There's like 2-3 v wagons in Redlands, CA. We also have an E63 AMG wagon here. Dunno why, but cool i guess.

Mercedes dropped the price from 150 to 100. There was only one trolling around my town for the longest time, but over the last two years three or four showed up.

Unless you're asking why you have so many performance wagons, in which case; I don't know.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I Am Not Spor posted:

Mercedes dropped the price from 150 to 100. There was only one trolling around my town for the longest time, but over the last two years three or four showed up.

Unless you're asking why you have so many performance wagons, in which case; I don't know.

The E63 S wagon is now like $105k base, yup. The '14 S sedans are already down into the low $80s, so those things will be amazing deals with a few more years of predictably-brutal Mercedes depreciation under their belt. Also worth knowing: there's turbo upgrades for the M157 that result in over 700awhp. :devil:

I linked this in the Mercedes thread already but this is playing a lot during the BBC America airings of Top Gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwLSkLIKAKk

My wife is still skeptical, sadly. :( Wagons are ruined for her by her parents' 1st gen Taurus wagon and Civic wagon of her childhood.

"But honey. What if you had a wagon that can do 4 wheel burnouts?" is somehow not a compelling enough argument. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Tremek posted:

My wife is still skeptical, sadly. :( Wagons are ruined for her by her parents' 1st gen Taurus wagon and Civic wagon of her childhood.

This is my mom, though swap the Taurus and Wagovan for what I'd guess was probably some form of GM fullsize wagon.

Despite the fact that for drat near my entire lifetime, she's driven nothing but long-wheelbase minivans and three-row body-on-frame SUVs.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

angryhampster posted:

angryhampster may be in the market for a wagon this year.

We've got a kid on the way this summer, and our 2-door Focus will probably be a tremendous pain in the butt to use a baby seat with. The Focus is an '08 with 120k miles on it..can probably sell outright for $4-5k easily.

I don't want to spend much more than that on a car. Obviously this limits my options and the 'new' wagon will have between 120-200k mi to fit in our price range. Secondary vehicle so MPG isn't a huge concern. Wife requires auto trans. What I'm considering:

1. BMW 5xx t (e39) ..my favorite BMW body. 6 and 8 cyl options both pretty reliable aside from cooling system. What are the other potential issues?
2. Subaru Forester/Impreza. I know nothing about them other than they need headgaskets and timing sets before 120k.

This is what I'm considering, but open to other suggestions as well. Would also consider a 5-door hatchback but prefer wagon space.

Of these options..which one would be the least of a nightmare?

Buy the subaru

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Tremek posted:

The E63 S wagon is now like $105k base, yup. The '14 S sedans are already down into the low $80s, so those things will be amazing deals with a few more years of predictably-brutal Mercedes depreciation under their belt. Also worth knowing: there's turbo upgrades for the M157 that result in over 700awhp. :devil:

"But honey. What if you had a wagon that can do 4 wheel burnouts?" is somehow not a compelling enough argument. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Maybe when my TDI dies (lol never I drive 5,000 miles a year) I'll have enough saved up to find a used AMG.

Don't you have a CTS-V? Can't you let her drive that to see the prowess of a wagon? Show her four wheel slides with a trunk full of stuff.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tremek posted:

There's a '12 here for sale with 47 000 km for $60k CDN. There are so few of them listed I can't tell if it's bad price, good price or a 'holy poo poo there's gotta be something wrong with it' price.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pricing on the Sportwagen got released today in the US. $22k for the base S 1.8T with a manual. TDI starts at $25k, a healthy discount over the outging.

I like the idea of the 1.8T but unfortunately you can only get it in El Cheapo trim with a stick.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pricing on the Sportwagen got released today in the US. $22k for the base S 1.8T with a manual. TDI starts at $25k, a healthy discount over the outging.

I like the idea of the 1.8T but unfortunately you can only get it in El Cheapo trim with a stick.

Kinda wish they put the 2.0T from the GTI in that. There's such a huge hole price wise in between this car and the Audi/bmw wagons with really nothing in between.

Apparently the Sportswagon (with an "o", dunno why canada is different) will be available with the 1.8 in highline trim with a 6 spd auto (guessing not dsg) here so it is a strong contender for my dollars. Don't really need the diesel.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress an AT, even the DSG.

I wish they brought back the 2.0 as well. There was a brief time period where you could get the JSW with the 2.0 and a manual, though it didn't include any of the suspension goodies of the GTI.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wait, really? I bought a 2012 JSW TDI new for $23k...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Steve French posted:

Wait, really? I bought a 2012 JSW TDI new for $23k...

Paid $24,500 for my 2014 JSW TDI. Prices be creepin.

...or maybe I just suck at negotiating.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

More: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/02/12/2015-vw-golf-sportwagen-priced-from-21-395/

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

trouser chili posted:

Paid $24,500 for my 2014 JSW TDI. Prices be creepin.

...or maybe I just suck at negotiating.

Nope, my memory just sucks. I just checked, I actually paid a bit under 25k for it, and if I recall correctly that was 500 over invoice and under MSRP, so probably consistent with the new price being a big drop and I was wrong

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I Am Not Spor posted:

Maybe when my TDI dies (lol never I drive 5,000 miles a year) I'll have enough saved up to find a used AMG.

Don't you have a CTS-V? Can't you let her drive that to see the prowess of a wagon? Show her four wheel slides with a trunk full of stuff.

The terrible secret: she doesn't really care about cars. I did get her to drag race her Cayenne Turbo for a season, and she was good at it... She might try the GL550 again this year but paradoxically she's not convinced that it's fast enough. Maybe if I can get her back into club clash (it's as much a social thing as it is anything) I can convince her she needs another 600hp awd piece of insanity in a few years. ;)

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Tremek posted:

The terrible secret: she doesn't really care about cars. I did get her to drag race her Cayenne Turbo for a season, and she was good at it... She might try the GL550 again this year but paradoxically she's not convinced that it's fast enough. Maybe if I can get her back into club clash (it's as much a social thing as it is anything) I can convince her she needs another 600hp awd piece of insanity in a few years. ;)

"Doesn't really care about cars" and drives a Cayenne Turbo, yeah. Stick with Porsche, convince her that the Panamera is the best car, and have her buy the Turbo :haw:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
it must be true love when your wife goes drag racing for a season even though she really doesn't give a gently caress

"ughhhh whatever I'll drive this car really fast if it makes you happy"

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Agreed. Also, that whole arrangement sounds like it would make for a much better family sitcom than the usual "step children are wacky!" setup.

Plus, you could replace the laugh track with 600hp engine-revving sounds.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Cross posting from the post your own ride thread...

My trusty 245 threw a rod last Monday and the engine is toast. I will keep the car, and will wait out for a new engine and drop it in. In the meantime, I had to get something reliable and something built outside the Cold War.

Enter the 2006 Subaru Outback.

This is the most modern car I've ever owned. It has a clicker, power and heated seats, power mirrors. All things I'm not used to. I was able to find one in a 5 speed and I have to say, compared to my 82 Volvo, the clutch is radically different. Still getting used to the "safety" features of always having to have my clutch in to start the car and whatnot; and the clutch itself is different; but I like the car overall.

Came with custom wheels, a sway bar and an ipod connector. I'm not sure I'll keep the wheels, but who knows.

With my 245

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Solar Coaster posted:

Enter the 2006 Subaru Outback.

Just a head's up - I had a bug deflector on my truck for years and it made rocks fly perfectly into my window and chip/crack the glass. I must have replaced 5/6 windshields in just a few years.

After removing it, I didn't get any more rock-to-window chips.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Solar Coaster posted:

With my 245

]

Nice car, and good job finding one in stick. I'm curious what the car behind the fence is though.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
Can I just say: the 2015 Outback driver's seat is the most uncomfortable worthless ill-designed piece of poo poo car seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CharlesM posted:

Nice car, and good job finding one in stick. I'm curious what the car behind the fence is though.

Look like an old Alfa-Romeo GTV6 or a Lancia Beta Monte Carlo, but the tail lights are different.

• Locked thread