Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

Bashez posted:

Yeah, it's sorted by points, which is PPP x Possessions. To see efficiency just sort by PPP, it's the useful stat there.

For instance if you wanted to see how garbage Dwight Howard is you can just look at Post ups. Sort by name, find him, and then sort by PPP and see about where he lands. He's the guy right behind Kaman, Glen Davis, and Omer Asik but uses 50% of his possessions as post ups because he's a big dumb idiot that has no idea he shouldn't ever post up and should just keep rolling to the basket.

There's enough play types and guys with low usage that you're going to have a bunch of guys with pretty low possession counts on certain play types. There's going to be a lot of variance there.

Gotcha, I'm dumb & thought you were just asking how to see/sort by possessions or whatever (:hurr:), not that you were actually starting to make this point:

Bashez posted:

You're looking at possessions. It's meaningless in determining how good someone is at something (in theory; bad players will get run at more and good players should go to certain play types more). PPP; points per possession, is the important stat to look at.

Anyway, another simple way to look at these stats with some accuracy, accounting for # of Possessions is to sort by Poss. & then just look at the player's Percentile (which is based on PPP). Higher % = better, for the mathematically retarded like myself. So at a glance you can see "This person has the most total possessions but is in the bottom 15% Percentile of efficiency" (for reference I'm looking at Channing Frye, on the Defensive Roll Man page. Ouch...) gently caress I'm going to lose a lot of time looking at these pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
http://nyloncalculus.com/stats/rim-protection/ This is the stat you want for Hibbert. He's number three in points saved at the rim per game. He's the man whose body haunts the letter of the rule du verticality like a phantasm. His personal rebounding has been a lot better without Lance Stephenson rushing in to steal them away, and I don't think the team's numbers have suffered.

Enes Kanter is a billion times better on offense, but Enes's offense is much less valuable than Hibbert's defense.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Let's be honest though. Roy Hibbert isn't that great overall. Great defense, poo poo offense and he falls apart when the chips are on the table. He's almost useless when put against a stretch 4/5. And, he's overpaid.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Yes!

I give it a 7. Good start to get us going, Russ.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
hosed up story from Deadspin about Dan Gilbert's scumbag rear end having Yahoo delete a blog post he didn't like:

http://deadspin.com/dan-gilbert-didnt-like-a-yahoo-blog-post-so-yahoo-dele-1685364080

I hope he dies the year before the Cavs win the title.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Did someone seriously post that Enes Kanter would be an improvement over Roy Hibbert

Yeah that was bugshit crazy. Hibbert is one of the most impactful defensive players in the league. He basically single handedly makes them a good defense.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

PantsFreeZone posted:

Let's be honest though. Roy Hibbert isn't that great overall. Great defense, poo poo offense and he falls apart when the chips are on the table. He's almost useless when put against a stretch 4/5. And, he's overpaid.

I suppose it depends on your personal definition of overall? Your team will win more games if your center is Hibbert than if your center is Kanter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Hibbert convincing the NBA to actually grant verticality may end up being one of the most influential things to happen in the game in like 10 years if they keep doing it.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Igor Strelkov posted:

I suppose it depends on your personal definition of overall? Your team will win more games if your center is Hibbert than if your center is Kanter.

This is true. I don't think Kanter is better than Hibbert, but I'd rather have a balanced guy like Kosta Koufus (sp?) or Valanciunas (again sp?) than that headcase.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Vlade Divac would've been remembered as an all time great defender had they let him have verticality. Dude got called so often for fouls while going straight up and stuffing a shot.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Rick posted:

Vlade Divac would've been remembered as an all time great defender had they let him have verticality. Dude got called so often for fouls while going straight up and stuffing a shot.

The hard part of verticality is not letting your arms fall forward. If he's going straight up and stuffing shots he's probably not got verticality.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Rick posted:

Hibbert convincing the NBA to actually grant verticality

What does this mean.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

PantsFreeZone posted:

hosed up story from Deadspin about Dan Gilbert's scumbag rear end having Yahoo delete a blog post he didn't like:

http://deadspin.com/dan-gilbert-didnt-like-a-yahoo-blog-post-so-yahoo-dele-1685364080

I hope he dies the year before the Cavs win the title.

This is most certainly an indictment of Yahoo and less Gilbert being crazy and egotistical.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

euphronius posted:

What does this mean.

He means that Hibbert's play coincided with adjustments of the verticality rule so that his specific style of shot contesting was no longer called a foul.
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....o-out-for-my-a/
Since then there have been a few adjustments which make him less of a juggernaut, but he's still the master of jumping straight up.

PantsFreeZone posted:

This is true. I don't think Kanter is better than Hibbert, but I'd rather have a balanced guy like Kosta Koufus (sp?) or Valanciunas (again sp?) than that headcase.

Sorry, I misread your post, I thought you were comparing he and Kanter. Hibbert is so bad on offense that he drags the whole team down. You need to have specific people to chisel a workable offense with a center who misses dunks and layups, but he's so good on defense that it's worthwhile.

This is why everyone hopes that Larry Sanders can learn to play like Tyson Chandler, you get all the good verticality and athleticism without sacrificing on offense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thank you.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

You know what? I am so thankful I haven't watched a Pacers game this year. The past 2 years have been such abominations that I couldn't imagine being a fan of that team or being forced to watch them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I will grant that Roy Hibbert may be the least fun to watch player in the entire league so I guess I'm glad he isn't on my favorite team for that reason. I was worried that The Go Bear's ceiling might be Hibbert-lite, but instead he's like Larry Sanders minus the crazy plus an accent, which is way more rad.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What happened to the Wizards, were there some major injuries or something?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Not really but Beal may be hurt now. They need a coaching upgrade.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

They hosed up and extended Randy Wittman

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sixers second year forward Robert Covington will replace Michael Carter-Williams in Friday's Rising Stars Challenge.

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Covington looks good. Was he undrafted?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know how nobody's mentioned this but the Spurs just passed the Lakers as best franchise in NBA history.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bashez posted:

I don't know how nobody's mentioned this but the Spurs just passed the Lakers as best franchise in NBA history.

Well 5 is still less than 16, but both are less than 17....

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

What happened to the Wizards, were there some major injuries or something?

They're not that great.

They lost their best defensive big man to a career ending back injury (Emeka Okafor). They have a lot of total defensive liabilities and not many strong defenders. Beal has been hurt a lot. Wall still has crazy 15 assist games almost every night, but it's not enough. Andre Miller looks old. Paul Pierce looks awesome for them every third game and then does nothing for the next two. He should put in a full effort for the playoffs. Nene has been banged up, which is what you expect from Nene.

Wall and his bigs have enough pick and roll chemistry, Beal and Webster shoot well enough, and Andre Miller can squeeze points from nowhere. They can win a playoff series. But I think that's it. They need more players. Otto Webster has looked a lot better than I expected, but they need more talent, and they need better defensive players.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Drew Gooden played the entire fourth quarter last night, Marcin Gortat played zero in the fourth.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

hitze posted:

Drew Gooden played the entire fourth quarter last night, Marcin Gortat played zero in the fourth.

Yea what was up with that. Drew Gooden is a garbage man and him taking a bunch of crunch time shots (he hit one I think) was beneficial for the Raps.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Mirotic got half the minutes of Wiggins, okay, but his ~900 minutes is 9th most out of any rookie, and in those minutes he's got three times Wiggins WS (more than twice any other rookie)

Is this partially because the Bulls have many more wins than other teams giving significant minutes to rookies, so they have more WS available?
Mirotic' same stats on an 11-win TWolves team wouldn't result in 3 WS as they do on the 33 win Bulls, c/d?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

BWV posted:

Casey was credited for the Mavs defensive success the year they won the championship if I remember correctly. His first two years with the Raps the team improved drastically defensively, although skeptics may say this was more of a result of playing Lowry and Amir more and getting rid of Calderon and Bargnani.

You're misremembering your years. The year Casey came in was that year after Bosh but before Lowry, and the team improved from historically bad to league average with a starting five of Amir Johnson, James Johnson, Demar Derozan, Jose Calderon and... some number of games from Andrea Bargnani. The next year, after acquiring Lowry, they were in the pits again, and shot up to good last year.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ragle posted:

Is this partially because the Bulls have many more wins than other teams giving significant minutes to rookies, so they have more WS available?
Mirotic' same stats on an 11-win TWolves team wouldn't result in 3 WS as they do on the 33 win Bulls, c/d?

WS doesn't actually take into account wins. But being on good defensive lineups does help a lot on DWS. Mirotic looks better mostly because he rebounds more and takes a lot more 3s to bump his 3p%. Some of that is helped by the fact that Mirotic can play with a below-average Usage, and usually isn't playing against starting defenses, but he has been really good.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

ragle posted:

The same stats would have the same winshares.

As Lockback said, he would be playing on a worse defense and would certainly have worse stats there. He'd probably have worse stats offensively too because he's playing with worse players.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

hitze posted:

I think that there are very few truly bad NBA head coaches, but I make an exception for Randy Wittman. The Wizards need to find the next Brad Stevens.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm beginning to think that there exists a Dajuan Blair curse. The team foolish enough to sign him performs below expectations until he's hurt or his contract is dealt to an unwary soul.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Igor Strelkov posted:

Speaking of sportvu, here's andrew johnson's player tracking plus minus top 25

KHRIS MIDDLETON

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/02/11/half-season-player-tracking-plus-minus-rankings/

Here's the bottom 25

The parentheses mean negative, and our friend, Zach Lavine, is on top. He's bad at basketball yall.

Derozan is at -.63. Please get the ball in the hoop more demar

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Cool Buff Man posted:

He can only do that really well when hes standing still

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Cool Buff Man posted:

Don't be too hard on him, he just learned to dribble last summer

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
James Johnson is +3.06 :jackbud:

PantsFreeZone
May 31, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't the Raptors plan on following the 76ers tank plan when they hired Masai and then they were better than expected so they decided to run with their current squad or was the plan always to have Casey and Co. try to make the playoffs?

EDIT: This one's for MourningView.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

PantsFreeZone posted:

Didn't the Raptors plan on following the 76ers tank plan when they hired Masai and then they were better than expected so they decided to run with their current squad or was the plan always to have Casey and Co. try to make the playoffs?

EDIT: This one's for MourningView.

The tacit plan was to suck a lot and not win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PantsFreeZone posted:

I would legitimately be surprised if Barkley even knew rudimentary algebra being a product of Alabama's educational system.

Someone told him he's the worst 3P shooter in NBA history.

PantsFreeZone posted:

I moved to Chicago the year the Big 3 came together in Miami. I had to put up with Bulls fans all of Derrick Rose's "MVP" season...I've been jeered and lambasted on every train ride downtown and every United Center game I've attended. When Deng ended the 27 game win streak I was in the stands being covered with spittle from all the celebratory rasberries. [sic] Simple as that.

:lol:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So we all know that LeBron James is a man of many talents. Are you prepared for him as... comic sidekick in a Judd Apatow production

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_yfdk_jSN8&t=108s

It's becoming more apparent why there's been a lull in his game this season.

• Locked thread