Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Another great day for CSIQ. I was in at 19 out at 26.5, so I can't complain but drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Even better day for CSCO, woot.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Been riding QCOM for a couple of months now up and down through their regulatory troubles and earnings. Bought back in with Apr 17 72.50 calls

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Saint Fu posted:

Even better day for CSCO, woot.

aannnnnd a very good day for ANR...

http://www.bidnessetc.com/34712-heres-why-alpha-natural-resources-anr-stock-is-trading-up-on-thursday/

Time to go long, gents. :homebrew:

I just want you all to be rich and happy

my work here is done.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL so, basically, their disappointing result of a year-over-year decrease in revenue and profits was less disappointing than the Street was expecting, so their stock is up on the news. Hooray!

I mean, that's a great short-term result if you bought before earnings report, but it's not exactly a reinforcement of the thesis that one should go long on coal.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
here's some more robinhood invites. Are people actually using these?

BGSYCRFE
NOBPMMNB
8CKACWHX

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!
I just got my robinhood account funded and bought some shares.

It's amazingly easy and I sat there watching the various stocks move up/down.

I need to stop looking at it.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I wish it wasn't iOS only. I'm seriously considering setting up an iOS VM just so that I can use robinhood.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Another great day for CSIQ. I was in at 19 out at 26.5, so I can't complain but drat.

Once we pass the $30 mark I will likely set a stop and forget about it.

So, where is the top on AAPL? I have my shares there through Compushare for some reason and am beginning to contemplate going through the effort of figuring that damned site out in order to dump those shares (or at least get management transferred to my E*Trade brokerage).

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
What should I make of companies like PLD, where the analyst opinion given is wildly out of line with the actual price?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Leperflesh posted:

LOL so, basically, their disappointing result of a year-over-year decrease in revenue and profits was less disappointing than the Street was expecting, so their stock is up on the news. Hooray!

I mean, that's a great short-term result if you bought before earnings report, but it's not exactly a reinforcement of the thesis that one should go long on coal.

when the full force of global politics tries to destroy an industry in one country, and fails, it's no joke

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The article you posted says the company is making less money, year-over-year, on shipping substantially more coal, year-over-year. Part of their huge loss this year is made up for by marginally higher transportation revenues. Overall the company still made a loss of 55 cents a share for the quarter.

Based on that,

Seems like a wildly premature statement to me. In fifty years, historians will be able to say with some clarity whether today's regulatory environment re: coal succeeded or failed in shifting the country off of its filthy coal habit, but you definitely can't say for sure one way or the other today.

I think that we are all attracted to contrarian viewpoints when investing, because contrarianism probably has a higher potential profit. But merely staking out a contrarian view does not automatically make you right; sometimes the consensus view is correct. Actually, most of the time the consensus view is correct. Based on what you've posted, including that 2009 analysis, I don't think anyone else in the thread has seen enough convincing evidence that your contrarian view has merit to even consider going long on coal, and that really ought to tell you something.

I wish you the best of luck, seriously I do, but on the other hand, I very much hope that the US stops using coal someday soon, so in that sense, I very much hope you are completely wrong. :shrug:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Broccoli Cat posted:

my work here is done

Broccoli Cat posted:

when the full force of global politics tries to destroy an industry in one country, and fails, it's no joke

Apparently not.

We get it. You like coal, defying numerous data points such as:

• Negative consumer growth
  • Decreased margins on higher volume
  • Plant retirement despite the significant costs of shutting down and restarting coal plants
  • Regulatory pressures
  • Significantly worse transportation costs than either NG or petroleum

That's fine, it's your money to bet as you want, but your incessant bleating about how great coal is and specifically about ANR is pitiful. It managed to gain about 8% after earnings and then lost it all in the same day. Coal sucks as an energy generation mechanism, it's a rightfully dying industry, and while it isn't going away soon, it's never going to get growth to make buying in now worth doing.

If you want to throw your money away on a coal bet go for it. You've made your case for it being a good investment in this thread. Your case sucks, and has been roundly rejected. In spite of noone agreeing with you, you can't shut up about it, and consequently you suck.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

You sound confident coal stocks will decline in price. Are you shorting them?

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
I am late to the party on this whole Robin Hood thing - I assume the big draw is zero commission trades, but what's the catch? How do they make their money? Is it more restrictive or less functional than other online brokers?

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dominoes posted:

You sound confident coal stocks will decline in price. Are you shorting them?

I am confident that coal stocks will not experience growth in price, but I'm also confident that with the present install base that coal plants will be burning that poo poo for years to come, so I don't have specific knowledge about which coal miners are going to win and which are going to fail, nor do I have a thesis that would lead me to anticipate a price drop over any specific time span that would educate me to think it was a better use of my capital than the other things I've got my money tied up in.

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

Dogo posted:

I am late to the party on this whole Robin Hood thing - I assume the big draw is zero commission trades, but what's the catch? How do they make their money? Is it more restrictive or less functional than other online brokers?

They screw you a little bit on the cost of market trades. Be sure to place limit orders and you should be okay.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dogo posted:

They're selling your order flow by routing it through "market makers" who give them a refund for doing so (think Flash Boys). Big traders are on the other end and love to fill orders from retail investors because they're assumed to be less sophisticated; assumedly they convinced someone that people who will get into a $0 commission broker are even less sophisticated than the norm and they're getting great rebate rates (that last part is speculation).

It's pretty restrictive because for now it's for Apple devices only and there's like no detailed information, but apparently they're still developing it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
KING beats on top and bottom, and guides flat for 2015.

Short squeeze...one time dealer.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Arkane posted:

When you're right, you're right.

Armond Poopson
Apr 29, 2008

See I'd assume that people who seek out an unadvertised broker that costs nothing would be at least a little more sophisticated than, say, someone who started daytrading because he thought the E*Trade baby was hilarious. Then again I got 500k tied up in the JellyBelly corporation so what do I know.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arkane posted:

KING earnings tomorrow during the trading day. I don't own any more equity (might change by tomorrow), but I do have a 20 option call spread for Feb 20th that I bought many moons ago. 11.54 -> 16.54. I paid $3k for it and it is currently worth ~$4.5k. It could be worth $10k if its above the $16.54 price next Friday. Fingers crossed.

I think we could see another positive quarter tomorrow, and really an inert quarter is about all this company needs to justify its stock price considering the assumptions built into the valuation are profit declines. It's PE is about 7.5, and its EV/EBITDA is ~5, both very very low obviously so the conventional wisdom is that this company will slowly trail off its earnings. If we see any type of growth, perhaps in China, this stock could easily head back towards 20+ which would be a more normal multiplier for a small-growth company (a still low P/E of 10-11). Analysts expect EPS for the 4th quarter to be .47/share, which would be an earnings decline from .56/share in quarter 3. So again, a decline is what is expected.

As of right now, KING is the #2 grosser on iOS + Play according to AppAnnie...recently passed by SuperCell due to the ginormous success of Clash of Clans. But Candy Crush Soda Saga (the sequel) was a successful launch looking at the app statistics. It's still ahead of Candy Crush (and Candy Crush is still on all of the charts). Soda should be a significant source of revenue as KING continues to diversify revenues beyond Candy Crush. On the topic of SuperCell, it's unclear how much business is being taken away from KING games and devoted towards Clash of Clans (and the copy cat Game of War). I imagine it's not insignificant. We'll find out tomorrow I suppose.

Another thing to bear in mind...in the last earnings call, the management also made mention of the fact that they're going to develop a broader range of games in 2015 beyond the match/casual games that make up their entire current portfolio. They bought a Clash of Clans-esque game developer last year, so there could be some sort of launch for that or multiple games of that nature. It's unclear if they're going to build off of existing IP (Candy Crush), or develop brand new IP. This is in my opinion a very positive development because of how inexpensively KING is able to churn out games, and not just poo poo games, entertaining ones that are fun to play.

One final thought is that their advertising ramped up in 4th quarter I noticed (just from watching a few TV shows and I rarely pay attention to commercials), so we could see advertising expenses rise considerably. How that factored into sales remains to be seen. But it's not like this company is spending willy-nilly. In the 3rd quarter, this company had 0 debt, and a very large amount of cash. KING has been a very tightly run, money-making machine over the past few quarters. They don't seem keen on wasting money like their counterparts at Zynga. I am not overly concerned about their choosing to do advertising, but it does pose an earnings risk if it failed to drive sales.

I think while there is downside risk here - and it could easily head back towards 10-12 with a disappointing quarter that sees sales/profit/margin decline beyond what analysts expect - I think the stock is more weighted in favor of upside just because of how much cash they continue to generate. Anything in-line or any type of beat could send the stock upwards, and there is reason to believe that Soda could drive a beat. There is still significant shorting of this stock, and one thing shorts don't want to do is hang around for months in whatever the short-equivalent of a value trap is. They want easy money.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments? Would love to hear from shorts.
Congrats. I couldn't convince myself to buy calls.

Arkane posted:

One time... deal? :confused:

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Armond Poopson posted:

See I'd assume that people who seek out an unadvertised broker that costs nothing would be at least a little more sophisticated than, say, someone who started daytrading because he thought the E*Trade baby was hilarious. Then again I got 500k tied up in the JellyBelly corporation so what do I know.

Not so much "seek out" as it is "saw it in headlines of every tech and finance website that exists"

I really wish there was a Robinhood thread, but when I tried to write one it was just a lot me being a sassy mouth jerk about things so I thought better of it.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

One time... deal? :confused:

"One time dealer" is a poker thing...when you really need a river card.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Armond Poopson posted:

But does it come with an off shore racer, and a private jet? I'd say you're doing all right! I hear that's a well run company.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arkane posted:

"One time dealer" is a poker thing...when you really need a river card.

It's more of "one time, dealer!"
like a request or command to the gods of luck. In theory you only get to request the winning card from the luck gods/universe once, ever, so you get your "one time" and then it's spent. In practice, idiots plead for their one-out cards all the time and it's kind of getting annoying.

e. Oh yeah also, and more relevant to the thread: I'd think a company calling itself "robin hood," literally the guy who steals from the rich to give to the poor, is attempting a populist appeal to small-timers who want a good guy on their side to stick it to the fat cats, e.g., it's hipster-bait and not a tool being marketed to sophisticated/full-time traders.

If that's not how they're positioning themselves, then their company name is pretty silly.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

It's more of "one time, dealer!"
like a request or command to the gods of luck. In theory you only get to request the winning card from the luck gods/universe once, ever, so you get your "one time" and then it's spent. In practice, idiots plead for their one-out cards all the time and it's kind of getting annoying.

e. Oh yeah also, and more relevant to the thread: I'd think a company calling itself "robin hood," literally the guy who steals from the rich to give to the poor, is attempting a populist appeal to small-timers who want a good guy on their side to stick it to the fat cats, e.g., it's hipster-bait and not a tool being marketed to sophisticated/full-time traders.

If that's not how they're positioning themselves, then their company name is pretty silly.

You're right on that pitch. Have you seen the site? Literally the headline is "stop paying up to $10 for every trade." It's exactly this.

I mean for me it's a good deal because I'm not a high roller so commissions are a not an insignificant cost.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I glanced at the front page of their site a while ago but haven't seen any of their other marketing so I didn't want to make too much of an assumption.

e. for example the fact that it only runs on apple products makes me strongly suspect it's specifically targeting people who have enough money to buy "premium" (luxury-branded) products and who have a reputation for excessively fanatic brand loyalty, but who tend not to be sophisticated "power-users" and also tend not to be the sort of discount-seekers who prefer a cheaper phone with a less well-polished interface. It's not really fair to characterize all apple phone users who don't know much about the stock market but want to dabble their toes in it "hipsters," but it's the negative stereotype that springs to my mind and it's one of the reasons I haven't given robinhood a serious look at all.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 12, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Robinhood is probably a ploy to get retail investors back into the market so hedge funds can do the dump after the 4 year pump.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
Speaking of Robinhood... here are some more invites.

867WUUBG
XMVRPHX6
PZCZAF3Y

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Thanks for the KING money Arkane. Always been a fan.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
I have no clue how to optimize trailing stops... How do you avoid getting dumped out of a position by a 5% spike in the price that lasts for about 5 minutes with them?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Zerstorung posted:

I have no clue how to optimize trailing stops... How do you avoid getting dumped out of a position by a 5% spike in the price that lasts for about 5 minutes with them?

Set it for more than 5%, pray.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Nice run on KING, Arkane. Take a bow!

Leperflesh posted:

e. for example the fact that it only runs on apple products makes me strongly suspect it's specifically targeting people who have enough money to buy "premium" (luxury-branded) products and who have a reputation for excessively fanatic brand loyalty, but who tend not to be sophisticated "power-users" and also tend not to be the sort of discount-seekers who prefer a cheaper phone with a less well-polished interface. It's not really fair to characterize all apple phone users who don't know much about the stock market but want to dabble their toes in it "hipsters," but it's the negative stereotype that springs to my mind and it's one of the reasons I haven't given robinhood a serious look at all.

Nah it's just that pretty much every app comes to iOS first. I'm sure people's order flow and tolerance for poor execution is equally sought from the Android side...

The Duke of Avon
Apr 12, 2011

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know anything about Stansberry Research and their newsletter subscriptions and whether the advice is any good? My mother was asking me for my opinion about this (why are mothers always convinced their children are geniuses who know about everything), because apparently she has always wanted to play the stock market - but knowing her, she'd just follow whatever advice she got to the letter and would do none of her own research. I've been googling around and I'm kinda dubious, but at the same time it seems better than what I would've expected from her (i.e. not a guaranteed disaster).

I should note that she's not going to put herself at any real risk regardless - the bulk of her investments are handled by professionals. She was talking about starting with 20 grand for this, and that isn't a meaningful amount of money for her at all. I think she mainly wants some excitement.

The reason I care about this is: she wants me to manage all this confusing computer stuff, in exchange for half of any potential profits, because she is basically incapable of anything beyond checking her email. She of course thinks this would be a minimal amount of work, but I suspect this would involve a lot more than checking emails and I have no knowledge of this stuff whatsoever. Worst case scenario is that I have nothing to do with it, Stansberry Research is terrible and my mother loses some of her $20k and gets over it. Best case scenario is I make money (and she would definitely increase her investment with minimal prompting, if needed), BUT only if it's for Exciting Investment Opportunities, and if it didn't involve paid newsletters it would have to be extremely exciting to make up for the lack of things that are carefully marketed to be extremely exciting.

tl;dr My rich mother suddenly wants me to be her financial advisor or something WHAT THE gently caress DO I DO and how do I go about making money off of this. I'm currently learning to speak Swedish in my spare time and I feel like this could surely be replaced with something more useful...and god I would be so loving butthurt if my mother makes bank throwing money around randomly and I see nothing on account of being too conservative. Something Awful, I need help.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
What's more conservative than using other people's money to invest with? There's literally no risk. Too bad it's your mom and not some rando rube.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Who was the guy who recommended CSIQ and what was his target price on the upside? I lazily bought it on his recommendation without doing any independent research, and I'd like to sell it as equally lazily.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mills posted:

Who was the guy who recommended CSIQ and what was his target price on the upside? I lazily bought it on his recommendation without doing any independent research, and I'd like to sell it as equally lazily.

That was me, and I didn't have a price target; my opinion was simply that it was very cheap because it was sold off for the wrong reasons. The original thesis is that the valuations of the solar stocks were blown up due to a drop in oil, and that this made no sense because lower oil does very, very little to impact sales of solar panels either for consumers or for utility-scale projects. Many of the stocks have rebounded a bit in January, but they're still pretty drat cheap as a whole.

As far as Canadian Solar, it's a question of whether they can monetize their pipeline (a pipeline they just doubled in size with an acquisition). I don't see any reason why they won't, with the possible exception of long-term challenges to their Japan pipeline (which does use oil for electricity). Having been paying attention to the company for a while...the CEO seems confident, they're expanding manufacturing, and they're expanding their head count. Q3 of 2014 was a blowout quarter.. All signs point to a growing, healthy business. If you're jonesing for a number to sell it, probably around 30 is when the easy money is gone. If you don't have any better ideas where to put the money, maybe just hang onto it or sell off a portion. Personally speaking, 30 is where I capped my call spreads and covered calls.

On solar, I also think Apple just gave a shot in the arm to the commercial viability of large-scale projects - where half of CSIQ's revenue comes from - with their $850m partnership with First Solar that was recently announced. Apple sits on its cash like it's going out of style, so if the numbers work for them, that is good news for the whole industry.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Well we're basically at 30 now. In truth, I was just going to lazily stick the money back into VOO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

The Duke of Avon posted:

I'm not really sure if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know anything about Stansberry Research and their newsletter subscriptions and whether the advice is any good? My mother was asking me for my opinion about this (why are mothers always convinced their children are geniuses who know about everything), because apparently she has always wanted to play the stock market - but knowing her, she'd just follow whatever advice she got to the letter and would do none of her own research. I've been googling around and I'm kinda dubious, but at the same time it seems better than what I would've expected from her (i.e. not a guaranteed disaster).

Get her an account and she can just follow all the investment advice in this thread.

(No, you should not trust someone with a newsletter. Let your mom pick from a list of vanguard funds)

also did you not even go to wikipedia first?

quote:

In 2003, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission brought a case against Stansberry for a "scheme to defraud public investors by disseminating false information in several Internet newsletters."[1][20][21] A federal court, upheld on appeal, found that Stansberry had sent out a newsletter to subscribers, predicting one company's stock was about to soar. Stansberry maintains that his information came from a company executive; the court found that he fabricated the source.[1] The company's stock price did increase for the reasons Stansberry had pinpointed, but about a month later than Stansberry had predicted.[1] In 2007, he and his investment firm, then called "Pirate Investor," were ordered by a U.S. District Court to pay $1.5 million in restitution and civil penalties. The court rejected Stansberry’s 1st Amendment defense, saying "Stansberry's conduct undoubtedly involved deliberate fraud, making statements that he knew to be false."[20][24]

Foma fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 13, 2015