Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Serperoth posted:

There's a feedback form, you can e-mail magicjudgefeedback@gmail.com
Not sure why it's a gmail.
Maybe gmail has features that their normal web provider doesn't have (splitting conversations into threads, easy searches)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

What are some reasons why judges shouldn't have to pass a rules exam at least once a year? Just a little re-up to make sure you haven't forgotten stuff.

It's prohibitively difficult since a senior level Judge would have to administer the test.

There are entire states that don't have a single L2, entire countries without an L3. It's just a hassle.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

It's prohibitively difficult since a senior level Judge would have to administer the test.

There are entire states that don't have a single L2, entire countries without an L3. It's just a hassle.

imo it wouldn't be that much to ask them to take the RA exam once a year, at least not for L1's. That wouldn't require an L2 to do anything. Most L1's are LGS judges, and the most "wild west" as far as rulings go. L2's have to go to events, with an L3 or higher being the head judge, so their rulings can and will get scrutinized. So they actually have to be right, I'd imagine an L2 that is repeatedly wrong see's some action taken against them right? The L1 in his home store is "the authority" The TO, if they aren't the L1, almost certainly defer to him or her for rulings. Even if you prove them wrong, they're likely to just apologize or whatnot, a store probably doesn't want to lose their L1. In a store with multiple L1's it probably gets a bit better if they're all active, they can simply call the bad one out to the TO.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Having to take the RA exam would not do anything to improve Judges that are struggling, considering its open book test with a limited question pool. L2's don't have to Judge under a senior Judge to maintain their status either. They may or may not do that while maintaining their requirements.

quote:

Requirements to maintain

Demonstration of a working relationship with at least two organizers or stores.
Two reviews of other judges entered into http://judge.wizards.com (the Judge Center).
Judge at least two “high level” events with multiple judges (PPTQs, WMCQs, GPs, or significant regional events such as SCG Opens or 5Ks). Other large region-specific events and/or GPTs may qualify at the Regional Coordinator’s discretion.
A written tournament report from one of the multiple-judge events or write a judge article.
Judge a tournament every 180 days.

Judging is hard thankless work and it's not going to be improved by suddenly telling people to get out of the program because they hosed up a call. If you're concerned with the quality of Judging at your local events, by all means reach out to the RC for your area but please also consider joining the program.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 12, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Random rear end information: I was just told by WotC that the checks for GP New Jersey were mailed out yesterday. Only three months after the GP instead of 4-8 weeks :thumbsup: and they will count for the 2015 tax year so I don't need to wait up on them to file for 2014. Checks from GP Baltimore are still processing.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Having to take the RA exam would not do anything to improve Judges that are struggling, considering its open book test with a limited question pool. L2's don't have to Judge under a senior Judge to maintain their status either. They may or may not do that while maintaining their requirements.

Judging is hard thankless work and it's not going to be improved by suddenly telling people to get out of the program because they hosed up a call. If you're concerned with the quality of Judging at your local events, by all means reach out to the RC for your area but please also consider joining the program.

Going to agree with this. Becoming a Judge is easy, and there's little reason not to look into it. And L2s don't need to judge under senior Judges cause they need to judge WITH other Judges. :v:

As to the thankless work bit of it... It is, a bit. But that's why compensation is important, to offset costs at least. And that's why they changed how Judge foils are awarded, so that they aren't compensation, but a reward for exceptional Judges.

VV: We aren't being compensated less, we are compensated in packs rather than foils. Foils are for exceptional work, both in general (Exemplar Program), in a specific event (Head Judge passes some out during the Judge dinner at the end), Regional Conferences...

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 12, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

That sentence makes no sense to me. The compensation is important but let's compensate these people less.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Snacksmaniac posted:

That sentence makes no sense to me. The compensation is important but let's compensate these people less.

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous when you consider there are some judge foils worth more than wizards would ever pay out for a day of judging

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

JerryLee posted:

Just out of curiosity, is there any sort of way to report a judge who fucks up basic rulings? Given the winners that their testing program apparently lets through, it seems like it might behoove them to have some sort of oversight or 'disbarment' procedure in place. It might not seem like a big deal, but I'd wager that a lovely judge could have a serious negative impact on the play experiences of a lot of folks.

There is also this form that can also be submitted anonymously.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am still waiting on the inevitable nepotism/favoritism scandal from such good faith merit awards.

I recall that even with the compensation judges were "paid" around or slightly above minimum wage. Depending on the popularity of the product, of course.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I've been trying to become an L1 for over a year at this point. What do I actually have to do? I easily passed the RA and L1 practice test and I've talked to L2s who wanted to watch me judge. I've never been able to get a straight answer of what kind of event I would have to judge. If it's just an FNM or something, literally the only judge calls I've seen in 1 year of Friday Night Legacy was my opponent accidentally searching through my Mindcensor and someone generally being a huge tool. I can't imagine it's very helpful to watch me judge 4 rounds of nothing happening. At the same time, I find it hard to justify spending a Saturday judging an IQ instead of playing in it when I've had time to play in 0 in the last 6 months.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

EDIT: You need to help out under a L2 at something like a GPT if you want to take the test. My own experience was helping out a L2 at a local GPT, it was easy work, just doing some deck checks, carrying some result slips, basically. YMMV, but that was mine.

Chill la Chill posted:

I am still waiting on the inevitable nepotism/favoritism scandal from such good faith merit awards.

I recall that even with the compensation judges were "paid" around or slightly above minimum wage. Depending on the popularity of the product, of course.

That's an issue, but I think that the actual final pick is done by a committee, so it shouldn't be particularly bad. No time to google it right now, so I might be wrong, sorry.

It depends on the tournament. A GPT or PPTQ isn't going to pay many bills, but it'd be worth a Saturday's time if you want. GPs and above can be an issue, depending on how much the trip costs too, and there's high-paying tournaments and lower-paying tournaments, not to mention that for some tournaments Wizards can cover part of your costs (travel/hotel), or even pay some cash out to you for expenses.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 12, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I know the RA is open book, I was an RA, I haven't retaken it since it expired end of last year. I want to get my L1, time is a factor for me with 2 little kids though. I spend what time I have playing. I think at least requiring L1's to answer some thought provoking rules questions, even if they have to look it up can only help their knowledge of the rules. I think the system could certainly be designed in a way that if someone is an active L1 that they can keep up on the rules and demonstrate it.

I'm not suggesting we punish judges for loving up a call, but at the same time I think that a report is in order if you try to discuss a ruling with a judge if you are familiar with the rules and they aren't having it "because they're the judge"

Our store has an RA that pulled some poo poo on another player that was really questionable. I advised the person to report him, because he explicitly said "I am a judge, we do X" He was not the judge of record for the event, and I checked and made sure he is not an L1+, he is an RA. The judge program is great, but some of the local people do it as a power trip. I think its a real issue because I'd wager most local store players have no idea what to do about a bad judge in their store. I don't think its a huge sweeping issue, I just like to make sure people do know how to communicate with someone about a bad judge.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I've been trying to become an L1 for over a year at this point. What do I actually have to do? I easily passed the RA and L1 practice test and I've talked to L2s who wanted to watch me judge. I've never been able to get a straight answer of what kind of event I would have to judge. If it's just an FNM or something, literally the only judge calls I've seen in 1 year of Friday Night Legacy was my opponent accidentally searching through my Mindcensor and someone generally being a huge tool. I can't imagine it's very helpful to watch me judge 4 rounds of nothing happening. At the same time, I find it hard to justify spending a Saturday judging an IQ instead of playing in it when I've had time to play in 0 in the last 6 months.

I just ran an FNM for my test.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

suicidesteve posted:

Plan to go to a GP. Then find the regional coordinator for your area (judge wiki) and just contact them. Say "hi i'm going to be at GP blah and I'd like to test for l1." They'll help you out.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

I can't imagine a problem, because most of the exemplar packets aren't worth that much, and the valuable ones appear to have gone to recognized community figureheads.

suicidesteve posted:

jassi007 posted:

I know the RA is open book, I was an RA, I haven't retaken it since it expired end of last year. I want to get my L1, time is a factor for me with 2 little kids though. I spend what time I have playing. I think at least requiring L1's to answer some thought provoking rules questions, even if they have to look it up can only help their knowledge of the rules. I think the system could certainly be designed in a way that if someone is an active L1 that they can keep up on the rules and demonstrate it.

Serious question: If you don't have time to judge a day-long Competitive REL event, why do you want L1 Judge Certification? If you're confident of your rules knowledge, you can totally judge Regular REL events without official certification.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Saeku posted:

I can't imagine a problem, because most of the exemplar packets aren't worth that much, and the valuable ones appear to have gone to recognized community figureheads.

Serious question: If you don't have time to judge a day-long Competitive REL event, why do you want L1 Judge Certification? If you're confident of your rules knowledge, you can totally judge Regular REL events without official certification.

Why not get it? You can judge at your LGS, and if they need an L1 for GPT or something your good to go. Then if you have a weekend you could volunteer to judge at an Open or for GP side events you could. L1 is just RA + basic event rules, it isn't hard I've studied most of the material and came close to taking my test but to much RL stuff gets in the way to reviewing the material. I may try again this year if it works out. I had a class for my work that was due close to the time of GP Philadelphia last year and I couldn't afford the time to study for the L1. Since that was the last GP I planned to attend that year, I put it off. I'll probably get my RA re-up'd this year and try for GP Pittsburgh later this year to get my L1.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Saeku posted:

Mostly just to have it, but in some small part so I could judge the occasional standard event because I don't actually play standard. It'd be a nice way to still be able to hang out at the one store I stopped going to because they only play standard.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I'm nowhere near an expert on the deck, so am I looking for specific games / plays here? Does he call himself out on making really dumb mistakes or is it only obvious to experienced pilots of the deck?

he doesnt call himself out on any of it because he doesnt actually see see the plays

i dont really have the time at the moment to go through all those videos but i do remember that his round 1 game 1 he literally could just win the game by playing hivemind, then serum visions into pact of negation on a black player who has like 4 lands, lotv, and 2 pack rats 0 cards in hand. what did he do? he makes a titan, and then attacks the 20 life player instead of killing the lotv. he wins anyways in a turn but he did it in the sloppiest way possible

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 12, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

Mostly just to have it, but in some small part so I could judge the occasional standard event because I don't actually play standard. It'd be a nice way to still be able to hang out at the one store I stopped going to because they only play standard.

That's pretty much what our local L2 judge said was his reason for being a judge. To still be part of the community when not playing as much. I think it's a good reason, especially since the compensation is lackluster. Unless possibly making $10/hour for your Saturday is exciting to you.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Chill la Chill posted:

That's pretty much what our local L2 judge said was his reason for being a judge. To still be part of the community when not playing as much. I think it's a good reason, especially since the compensation is lackluster. Unless possibly making $10/hour for your Saturday is exciting to you.

I doubt very many judges do it for the compensation alone, obviously a part time job is better, but it is voluntary work and your paid in product, so you don't have to rationalize spending real $$ on cardboard. Plus it is an opportunity to be immersed in magic, which is always nice. GP Richmond was the first GP I ever went to and one of my favorite memories is just the fact that Magic took over that city. Everywhere I went there were nerds in backpacks talking cards.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
How long does the paper and pencil judge test take? Is it 20 questions over 60 minutes like the practice test or is it more involved? The local L2s said I could just take the test since I've already covered events at the store and they know me well enough so I could skip the interview thing. I'd been putting it off since I'd rather not put a ton of time into studying for it but it turns you only need a 70% instead of the 90% I thought you needed for some reason. It would be sweet if I could just take the test during a bye round and get it over with.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
It takes long enough that you should give yourself plenty of time. I got 100%, but not having a ticking clock helped a lot.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Judging is hard thankless work and it's not going to be improved by suddenly telling people to get out of the program because they hosed up a call.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that anyone who fucks up a tricky call ever should be run out on a rail, I'm saying that if someone sincerely thinks an activated ability disappears if the permanent is removed, they should probably not have judge credentials. That's literally a making-poo poo-up-at-recess level of understanding the Magic rules.

Even then I'm not advocating a one-strike-and-you're-out policy, I'm saying tap them on the shoulder and remind them that they have a minimum level of responsibility, and create a paper trail in case it turns out that this person actually just doesn't give a gently caress.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JerryLee posted:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that anyone who fucks up a tricky call ever should be run out on a rail, I'm saying that if someone sincerely thinks an activated ability disappears if the permanent is removed, they should probably not have judge credentials. That's literally a making-poo poo-up-at-recess level of understanding the Magic rules.

Yeah, that's something that comes up quite frequently, so to be so completely wrong about it should definitely count against you. We may need more judges, but having fewer judges, all of whom are decent, might be better than having more judges, some of which are insanely bad.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

jassi007 posted:

I doubt very many judges do it for the compensation alone

Many Judges aren't compensated at all.

I've Head Judged a States event and didn't get anything except lunch.

JerryLee posted:

Even then I'm not advocating a one-strike-and-you're-out policy, I'm saying tap them on the shoulder and remind them that they have a minimum level of responsibility, and create a paper trail in case it turns out that this person actually just doesn't give a gently caress.

This already exists in the form of reviews, tournament reports, etc. What exactly else are we supposed to be doing?

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 12, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Many Judges aren't compensated at all.

I've Head Judged a States event and didn't get anything except lunch.

This already exists in the form of reviews, tournament reports, etc. What exactly else are we supposed to be doing?

Inform the magic playing public how to report an issue they had with a judge.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Use whatever channels you would to report an issue about someone. Tell the store owner, email Wizards, speak to another Judge.

Do I need to end my Judge announcements with "If you are displeased with my Judging please contact...." I'm not sure why people assume you need to handle a mediocre Judge any differently than a mediocre TO, or store that sells its BAB Promos.

EDIT: If you need some formal process or whatever I'm pretty sure anyone with a DCI# can write a review of a Judge.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 12, 2015

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Cernunnos and mr. mephistopheles, I'm curious what your judges will say if you show them how activated abilities continue to exist if their source leaves the battlefield before they would resolve. Somehow I don't think they'll continue to insist they were right.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The measure of a good judge is what they do when they're shown that they made a bad ruling.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Can someone explain to me how to find someone to send cards to on Pucatrade? As an experiment I'm trying to find someone to mail a Soulfire Grandmaster to, except apparently there's not a single person in the US who is looking for one? I tried to filter by US but that didn't work.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

That's why I did it too. I barely play, but I love the game and want to be part of it. So I figure, might as well do that, help out the community, and if I get product, use it to fund a Commander deck.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

bhsman posted:

Can someone explain to me how to find someone to send cards to on Pucatrade? As an experiment I'm trying to find someone to mail a Soulfire Grandmaster to, except apparently there's not a single person in the US who is looking for one? I tried to filter by US but that didn't work.

You have to keep mashing refresh/use something like clickforchange and wait for them to pop up. People's wants don't show up until they have enough points to pay for the cards, so It's a little bit like a :f5: lottery with hot standard cards since as soon as someone has enough points it becomes available and the first person to see it gets it.

e: for example, I have judge foil Gaea's Cradle listed on my wants but I only have ~1300 points so nobody can send it to me unless they have gold level membership and want to send it to me out of the goodness of their hearts.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

BXCX posted:

You have to keep mashing refresh/use something like clickforchange and wait for them to pop up. People's wants don't show up until they have enough points to pay for the cards, so It's a little bit like a :f5: lottery with hot standard cards since as soon as someone has enough points it becomes available and the first person to see it gets it.

Would it be better to just look for matches with the more obscure/cheap cards I have? I imagine most people do that just to build up points.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

bhsman posted:

Would it be better to just look for matches with the more obscure/cheap cards I have? I imagine most people do that just to build up points.

Yeah, that's the easiest way to do it, if you go to the send page and turn auto matching off you can see everything that people can afford and want right now. Lots of people can afford FoW and Duals right now but they very infrequently get picked up, but there's lots of stuff in the lower ranges that you can pick up to send like shocks and fetches since not everyone is trying to dump them before the price craters. I'd recommend inputting as much stuff as you can possibly stand to, I made a ton of points in my early days sending mass quantities of commons and uncommons to individual receivers after new sets came out because I was willing to take a few minutes and count up and add in all my bulk right after the sets became listed.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Wait, since when has killing something not removed it's activated abilities from the stack?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Failboattootoot posted:

Wait, since when has killing something not removed it's activated abilities from the stack?

Always

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

Since forever? If an ability is activated, killing the source never stopped it IIRC. Don't know if it was different before the Stack got in at 6th Ed, but I doubt it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Serperoth posted:

Since forever? If an ability is activated, killing the source never stopped it IIRC. Don't know if it was different before the Stack got in at 6th Ed, but I doubt it.

I seem to remember that it did stop the ability. At the very least that's how we all played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Failboattootoot posted:

Literally the alpha rulebook says that activated abilities continue.

• Locked thread