Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Why don't you sign up for the $500 max out of pocket indianacare plan, get your hip replaced, then stop paying. The money you save will let you swap in an auto since you can't push the lightest weight clutch ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Alright, I've had it with this drat thing.

A few weeks ago, the car (1995) developed a timing/igntion/fuel problem. When cold, and ONLY WHEN COLD, it will fall flat on it's face while accelerating. The exhaust pops like it's retarded badly, but if it was a bad CAS it would do it all the time. Sometimes it acts like it could be a fuel starvation issue, but again, it runs fine when warm all the way from idle to redline. Sometimes it acts like it could be the coil/plugs/wires, but again, FINE WHEN WARM. Once you get over 4kRPM it catches itself and runs quite nicely.

I haven't done jack poo poo with it yet, not even pulled the plugs, because I'm at a complete loss of what it could be. One of my strengths in working on cars is diagnosing the problem, not just throwing parts at it. I'm thinking it could be a few things: the airflow meter, the ECU coolant temp sensor (my biggest suspicion: I mean, if the ECU is trying to run the car like it's warm, when it's not, wouldn't it run like poo poo? But then why does the 4k+ map work just fine... ARGH), the ignition set, or the CAS.

Can I get some input? I'm not as good with BPs as I am with M20s.

leica posted:

One of the coils is probably dying. My car did the exact same thing, I replaced both the coils and it eliminated the issue. Also I would clean the throttle body if you haven't done that yet.

Replaced coil, plugs, wires, ECU coolant temp sensor (EDIT: and I did shoot carb cleaner down the throat of the throttle body and got it shiny again). Car is still doing this bullshit. What's next, AFM/MAF (I don't know which one a '95 1.8 has) and/or related circuitry?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 11, 2015

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

At least it takes regular, right?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
If we're playing that game.

Ignore that whole cost by day thing for the M3. Haven't owned it long enough for that to mean much.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Does anyone know or have a link to NC airbag light flash codes? I've found them for NA/NB, but not for newer. I'm seeing two slow flashes, pause, then two fast flashes.

e: the internets suggest that it's either a loose connection or a $500 sensor. woo.

televiper fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 12, 2015

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Back when I was keeping track of MPG in my supercharged '00 I was getting about 24 mpg combined, keeping my foot out of it. I just got 3.63 gears installed though so I'll see what happens.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 12, 2015

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Maybe I drive like a grandma but I get 30 mpg pretty consistently doing 80% highway. I'm actually kind of surprised considering I'm at 4k+ rpm constantly while on the highway.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hikaki posted:

Maybe I drive like a grandma but I get 30 mpg pretty consistently doing 80% highway. I'm actually kind of surprised considering I'm at 4k+ rpm constantly while on the highway.

Grandma spotted.

Also doing 80% highway is going to help your average mpg significantly.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Even though it's small and light I don't think the miata's coefficient of drag is very good (top down especially), the gearing has you at 4k on the highway and it's an old rear end engine.

:shrug:

Hikaki posted:

I dunno, I just always expected such a light car with a tiny engine to have decent fuel efficiency. To be fair, the numbers I mentioned before were with my daily commute; not stop & go bumper-to-bumper traffic, just relatively brief average suburban commuting. When I drove the MSM home right after purchasing it I did get 30+ mpg on the highway doing like 70-90 mph or whatever. This was with me drafting behind semi trailers a good portion of the drive. :smugdog: Also, I'm pretty sure the tires were quite under-inflated, so proper inflation would've boosted that number. (The log book for my MSM is in the car, which is in storage, so I can't quote from it at the moment.)

Looking back at the fuel log from my NA, I took a moderate highway drive (120 miles) in it one time and got 30.36 mpg; the fill-ups before and after that were 23.37 and 25.13, respectively. So yeah, it seems like the type of driving is a huge factor in fuel efficiency.

With the MSM, IIRC 65 mph in 6th gear puts it at 3500 rpm, which is kinda nice because that's when the turbo kicks in, so I was able to just stomp on it and accelerate to pass in top gear.

As far as the Cd goes, the Miata is apparently 0.38, which is not that great. A Tesla S is 0.24, and plenty of recent cars (Mazda 6, Camry, etc.) are <0.30. An Escalade is apparently 0.36. :stare:

I just wonder exactly how much drag impacts the fuel efficiency on the Miata (compared to the other factors.)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol at all the fuel economy talk. If you're having any kind of fun in a Miata the mpg's are gonna suck.

There's people that hypermile Miatas and it's dumb, might as well be driving a Corolla or something then.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Tracking my mpgs led me to discovering that I had a sticking caliper. Otherwise, I might have had more parts to replace than just the pads and the caliper.

It takes almost no effort to do a quick calculation and make sure that everything's running normally.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

Lol at all the fuel economy talk. If you're having any kind of fun in a Miata the mpg's are gonna suck.

There's people that hypermile Miatas and it's dumb, might as well be driving a Corolla or something then.

One of the guys on GRM actually swapped a 1.3L Festiva motor into a Miata and is getting pretty reasonable fuel economy even when he beats the poo poo out of it. He's also tried a few of the internet-kook "fuel saver" techniques in order to debunk them.

He's building his own engine dyno right now so he can test various mapping strategies without the unpredictability of a road test.

I think he takes a perverse joy in watching "enthusiasts" freak out about how he's ruined the car. Personally, I love it, dude is a genius.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1994-miata-mpg-project-b3-stealth-mk-ii/61007/page1/

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 12, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

leica posted:

That is really stupid. "Oh no I am having fun, efficiency ruined, must slow down!".

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

There's one other nc owner in my town I've met with a silver miata, whenever I see him, he's always hypermiling. On the flipside, literally every-time I've seen that miata, it is spotless and its silver color looks absolutely amazing. It's winter mind you, and I can't even make it back from the car wash without getting a fresh salt stain in vermont. I dunno how on earth he does it.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the guys on GRM actually swapped a 1.3L Festiva motor into a Miata

If more power makes a Miata less of a Miata, then the inverse must be true as well. It's so simple!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Turbo Busa motor.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ethanol posted:

There's one other nc owner in my town I've met with a silver miata, whenever I see him, he's always hypermiling. On the flipside, literally every-time I've seen that miata, it is spotless and its silver color looks absolutely amazing. It's winter mind you, and I can't even make it back from the car wash without getting a fresh salt stain in vermont. I dunno how on earth he does it.

Silver cars never look dirty. :v: They hide it so well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hikaki posted:

If more power makes a Miata less of a Miata, then the inverse must be true as well. It's so simple!

So the ultimate Miata is yard art?

Makes sense.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014
Uh oh, NCs are already starting to drop in price. I'm getting the Miata itch back.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Conversely, silver cars never really look clean, either. Not the same way a freshly washed and waxed non-silver car does.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howling_mad posted:

Uh oh, NCs are already starting to drop in price. I'm getting the Miata itch back.

Where do you live? I try to keep track of that locally and if anything the prices have gone up.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Where do you live? I try to keep track of that locally and if anything the prices have gone up.

In the Midwest. Granted it's hard to move a Miata here in the winter, so it's possible that I just haven't been clued in. If Clubs get down to the $22K range I'm definitely making the switch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howling_mad posted:

In the Midwest. Granted it's hard to move a Miata here in the winter, so it's possible that I just haven't been clued in. If Clubs get down to the $22K range I'm definitely making the switch.

I'm in NE Indiana and a similarly equipped NC to what I own sells for $3-4K more than the $8K price I paid out of Florida.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

One of the guys on GRM actually swapped a 1.3L Festiva motor into a Miata and is getting pretty reasonable fuel economy even when he beats the poo poo out of it. He's also tried a few of the internet-kook "fuel saver" techniques in order to debunk them.

He's building his own engine dyno right now so he can test various mapping strategies without the unpredictability of a road test.

I think he takes a perverse joy in watching "enthusiasts" freak out about how he's ruined the car. Personally, I love it, dude is a genius.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1994-miata-mpg-project-b3-stealth-mk-ii/61007/page1/

That guy is the poo poo. It was funny when he first posted on the Festiva forum about the thing, because about most of their members had swapped B6s and BPs into their cars and they were confounded that someone was doing basically the opposite. I imagine the reaction in the Miata community was doubly hilarious.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Rhyno posted:

I'm in NE Indiana and a similarly equipped NC to what I own sells for $3-4K more than the $8K price I paid out of Florida.

drat. You bought an NC for $8K? How many miles?!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Larrymer posted:

I think I've washed my Miata more times since I got it in november than I ever washed my old silver legacy in the two years I had it.

Of course, my Miata is black... :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howling_mad posted:

drat. You bought an NC for $8K? How many miles?!

It was $9K after taxes and transportation. 58K miles when I got it, GT model, LSD all the bells and whistles. Stupid drain holes keep clogging but otherwise no trouble.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Rhyno posted:

It was $9K after taxes and transportation. 58K miles when I got it, GT model, LSD all the bells and whistles. Stupid drain holes keep clogging but otherwise no trouble.

What? Seriously?!

That's like half price within 1000 miles of me. What a fantastic deal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

howling_mad posted:

What? Seriously?!

That's like half price within 1000 miles of me. What a fantastic deal.

Wait until October and shop the Florida sales. Leica pointed me in the right direction about a year and a half ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, Miatas (and most convertibles really) are plentiful here in FL and not all that special, so you can get the nice ones a lot cheaper than up north.

Years ago I bought my mother in law a '91 automatic for 3k and sent it up to her in NY. She recently sold it for 5k :v:

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Drove to the shops in my 10AE today and an old guy also driving a 10AE pulled up next to me at the lights, and we were both so excited, big smiles and thumbs up. I've never seen another one out and about, and didn't expect to because I'm not in a very large town.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dumb question but do you NC guys ever get a squeaky belt only in the cold? Can I just spray this sucker with prestone?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

ethanol posted:

Dumb question but do you NC guys ever get a squeaky belt only in the cold? Can I just spray this sucker with prestone?

Every car I've ever had do this needed either the belt to be adjusted (usually was loose) or replaced. How old are your belts?

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Rhyno posted:

Wait until October and shop the Florida sales. Leica pointed me in the right direction about a year and a half ago.

Uhn. I'm going to do just that. It would make a nice vacation and a great drive home!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I just want to say how much I miss my '97 NA, even though it had a salvage title, 217,000 miles, and was completely rusted out to all hell and back, it was still the most visceral car I have ever owned. Even in it's delapidated state I drove it for a full year without problems and even placed 3rd overall in an autoX. The rawness, the sound, the light weight, the perfect steering, and the worlds greatest shifter are something I remember every drat day.

I have a Fiesta ST now, which is super loving awesome and way faster/more practical, just feels a lot more… sanitized. I really want to buy another Miata but I just can't justify having two cars anymore. Once my ST lease is up at the end of this year, I may just have to snag an ND. It really looks like it's going to be a "new" NA.

Either that or I'll find a clean PRHT NC, but how far away from the pureness of the NA is the NC?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a better NA with some torque.

Basically anyone who whines about "purity" and insists that the NA is best Miata shouldn't be listened to. All 3 generations are solid winners, each have their pluses and minuses, but they're all competent and extremely fun to drive.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Every car I've ever had do this needed either the belt to be adjusted (usually was loose) or replaced. How old are your belts?

Don't actually know, I'd assume they're as old as the car (36,000 miles)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

ethanol posted:

Don't actually know, I'd assume they're as old as the car (36,000 miles)

How old is it, and what kind of climate does it see?

They do sell belt conditioner at the auto parts store. You could give that a shot and see if it helps. I would still check the tension on them, it should only take a minute to do before you spray on the conditioner.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nocheez posted:

How old is it, and what kind of climate does it see?

2008 that came from florida to Connecticut in 2011 and I'm the rear end in a top hat who brought it to vermont eight months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

ethanol posted:

2008 that came from florida to Connecticut in 2011 and I'm the rear end in a top hat who brought it to vermont eight months ago

Your rubber is now 7+ years old and has seen lots of weather changes. I'd spend the $30-40 and change the belts now. It was a really easy job on my NB (two separate belts), not sure how bad it is on the NC.