Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

orlando's 100 feet above sea level. are the oceans coming up that much?

the city won't drown, it will die of thirst.

much of florida's land is water-permeable stone. fresh water on top, salt water down below.

you get hosed from both ends: as you pump fresh water out of lakes and aquifers, the freshwater pressure decreases, ancient saltwater rises more easily and previously-fresh sources turn brackish. as the sea level rises, it rises underground, too. so salt water intrusion becomes more likely even if you don't over-use the local fresh water sources.

this will happen to orlando later than it happens in south florida, but since population and sea level both drive the problem, it seems pretty inevitable. especially if south florida's population starts migrating north.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Disney (Magic Kingdom at least) is already raised on top of an elaborate system of tunnels.

they're surrounded by straight swamp though so good luck getting there.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the city won't drown, it will die of thirst.

much of florida's land is water-permeable stone. fresh water on top, salt water down below.

you get hosed from both ends: as you pump fresh water out of lakes and aquifers, the freshwater pressure decreases, ancient saltwater rises more easily and previously-fresh sources turn brackish. as the sea level rises, it rises underground, too. so salt water intrusion becomes more likely even if you don't over-use the local fresh water sources.

this will happen to orlando later than it happens in south florida, but since population and sea level both drive the problem, it seems pretty inevitable. especially if south florida's population starts migrating north.

my fav part is how hard the state government is ignoring all of this

so much so that people like the miami mayor want to break away

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ultramiraculous posted:

they're hosed one way or the other regardless. even without sea level changes, they're basically migrating inland. they've literally had to dredge up sand to make the beaches exist again in some areas (which also hosed up some sandbars that were protecting said beaches from erosion in the first place, sooooooo)

the thing is i really can't find a reason for me to care beyond the ecological damage being done trying to fight the inevitable. all the people i know that vacation regularly in the outer banks were insufferable to be around, and the people who own houses there are somehow even worse.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my fav part is how hard the state government is ignoring all of this

Hey now, wait a minute, we didn't get to this point in society by taking into account the consequences of our actions!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

the thing is i really can't find a reason for me to care beyond the ecological damage being done trying to fight the inevitable. all the people i know that vacation regularly in the outer banks were insufferable to be around, and the people who own houses there are somehow even worse.

i'm not sure anyone really cares about ecological damage, but lots of people are going to care the next time the state has to empty its highway fund to rebuild critical transport links in the outer banks

or try to bail out uninsurable homeowners

or confront flagging tourism due to problems with facilities literally built on sand

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah, but it's not like those people will die, they'll just go bring their brand of joy to another place you might care about more

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

prefect posted:

orlando's 100 feet above sea level. are the oceans coming up that much?

oh i didn't realize that.

still need water though. but disneyworld's pretty big, they can probably find the space for a nuclear reactor and a desalinization plant

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

still need water though. but disneyworld's pretty big, they can probably find the space for a nuclear reactor and a desalinization plant

they have blanket permission from the state to build whatever the hell they want, including a nuclear reactor if they really want one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

to what end? so they could be the only u.s. state that's completely underwater?

there ain't nothin' in heaven or earth that'll save miami

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

south florida already has a nuclear plant endangered by hurricane risk and sea level rise

a desalinization plant alone will cost more than a nuclear plant. the most recent megaproject in california cost over a billion dollars to supply 110,000 people (so, 40,000-ish households)

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

graph posted:

has richard moved the servers to somewhere that is above sealevel

dunno

maybe if he manages to keep a competent employee around ahahahah

i still remember that running commentary from the lone guy left at the datacenter, talking about how the support guys for the building generator were coaching him on how to run the generator continuously, about what the streets looked like.

it's still up if anyone wants to relive the magic http://interdictor.livejournal.com/2005/08/27/

quote:

Hmm. This could actually be a nasty storm.

lol

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

infernal machines posted:

to what end? so they could be the only u.s. state that's completely underwater?

there ain't nothin' in heaven or earth that'll save miami
God will save the south, just you wait!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

i 100% agree with this assessment. i wouldn't care if not for the lengths people are going to protect "mah beachhouse" on what is basically a glorified sandbar.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

God will save the south, just you wait!

rainbows are god's way of saying that he's done with water

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, but it's not like those people will die, they'll just go bring their brand of joy to another place you might care about more

trust that there are many other places in north carolina where they'll blend right in

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ultramiraculous posted:

trust that there are many other places in north carolina where they'll blend right in

mom lived in Raleigh for a while, I hear ya

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ADINSX posted:

Lets try to at least negotiate with the ocean and see if they'll take Florida instead.

'you can take louisiana, but you gotta take florida too'
* ocean levels recede to ice age levels*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
rolling stone had a p good article on just how spectacularly miami and florida are hosed: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/tech-companies-and-vaccines/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/11/8022411/how-many-vaccine-deniers-silicon-valley

"But Google told both The Verge and Wired that 49 percent merely reflects the use of old data."

http://valleywag.gawker.com/anti-vaxxers-theyre-in-silicon-valley-too-1683324631

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/print-edition/2011/01/14/in-autisms-storm.html?page=all

"My experience in Silicon Valley has been when this many establishment players line up against you, you are on to something big. I think you need pioneers like Andy to break glass, and unfortunately he's broken the glass and been cut by it. So pioneers are always filled with arrows in their back, and Andy's that guy. But he can obviously take it and so we're backing him."

quote:

Of 12 day care facilities affiliated with tech companies, six—that’s half—have below-average vaccination rates, according to the state’s data.
um

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think that if you took a random sampling of daycare facilities, you'd get half below the average. My sense of the distribution is you'd probably get something like 9/12 or 10/12 at or slightly above average, and 2-3/12 with dramatically low rates.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
oh ya and the article was actually talking about statewide averages and being below the herd immunity level, it was just a funny way to phrase it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Lamont Cranston posted:

what are the little red slivers in the top left, highways?

those are connecting bits of territory to various tiny chunks of the city, usually small developments that managed to get annexed

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

rolling stone had a p good article on just how spectacularly miami and florida are hosed: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/why-the-city-of-miami-is-doomed-to-drown-20130620

why does this fucker keep calling nuclear power plants "nukes"

nuclear power plants are not bombs and they cannot explode any more than water can catch on fire, they have to kill you in entirely different ways

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nuclear power plants can explode just fine*, it's just not a nuclear detonation

*steam pressure, hydrogen buildup, etc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wulfolme posted:

nuclear power plants are not bombs and they cannot explode any more than water can catch on fire, they have to kill you in entirely different ways

people will buy laundry balls that are supposed to "shrink water molecule clusters" and make their clothes cleaner; normal people do not see any difference between a nuclear bomb and a nuclear power plant

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wulfolme posted:

it's like he has an agenda, or something

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
nuclear plants have a LOT of chemicals in them! they're unsafe

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

as a former floridian, this all makes me even happier i left that shithole of a state

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you are in the USA and you do not live in New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles, you are in a cultural backwater.

you forgot new orleans, miami, and neo new mexico (south Texas)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Elder Postsman posted:

that's a done deal already, just not gonna be implemented for a little while yet

i have that magazine

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ultramiraculous posted:

they're hosed one way or the other regardless. even without sea level changes, they're basically migrating inland. they've literally had to dredge up sand to make the beaches exist again in some areas (which also hosed up some sandbars that were protecting said beaches from erosion in the first place, sooooooo)

whoops!!!

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Endless Mike posted:

as a former floridian, this all makes me even happier i left that shithole of a state

I love my family and I have some happy memories there, but overall, Miami is a giant toilet and most people who live there are hot street trash with no value. the culture shock of living in a city where everyone isn't yelling all the time and isn't preposterously selfish was hard for me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rexicon1 posted:

and isn't preposterously selfish

people here are super protective of 'their part' fo the sidewalk here and i have to play chicken 20 times a day. its kinda lovely

and dont get me started about people not holding doors

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

people here are super protective of 'their part' fo the sidewalk here and i have to play chicken 20 times a day. its kinda lovely

think like a 'trep

just walk through them

disrupt their paths with a quick shoulder check

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Uber's panic button is coming to the United States

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Rexicon1 posted:

I love my family and I have some happy memories there, but overall, Miami is a giant toilet and most people who live there are hot street trash with no value. the culture shock of living in a city where everyone isn't yelling all the time and isn't preposterously selfish was hard for me.

my girlfriend is from Miami and incredibly paranoid about crime in the small city we live in. I thought she was crazy and then I went to Miami and now it totally makes sense.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

i enjoy weirding people out here by holding doors and calling them sir and miss and ma'am

but one of my bosses had to tell me not to do that in business correspondence since it was "way way too formal" to refer to someone i had never met as Mr. Firstname in an email

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

treppin' ain't easy but it's necessary
now i'm funding ventures like tom chases jerry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Luigi Thirty posted:

treppin' ain't easy but it's necessary