Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All the ethanol-free places around here are only 89 so I haven't been able to try it. I think I might have heard crickets once. I'm not really sure. I'm used to boxer engines making all kinds of racket anyways.

BRZ is hibernating at the moment anyways. Might be able to get it out next week, I'm hoping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
There's pretty much nothing for pure gas on the midatlantic coast aside from marina gas. :(

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So heres that frankenstein Hayabusa V8 BRZ I was talking about :

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/01/kiwi-flavoured-lemon-jun-synergy-brz-v8/

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Laserface posted:

So heres that frankenstein Hayabusa V8 BRZ I was talking about :

http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/01/kiwi-flavoured-lemon-jun-synergy-brz-v8/

That is amazing. One nitpick. They used a Kawasaki inline 4 for their base to start with while a Hayabusa is a Suzuki. I've always wanted to see an engine like that in an center seat Lotus Exige. Make it a poor man's McLaren F1.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
haha. The frs for the 2%

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

Coredump posted:

That is amazing. One nitpick. They used a Kawasaki inline 4 for their base to start with while a Hayabusa is a Suzuki. I've always wanted to see an engine like that in an center seat Lotus Exige. Make it a poor man's McLaren F1.

Not too dissimilar though:

quote:

Suzuki Motor Corp. and Kawasaki Heavy Industries Ltd. announced on Aug. 29, 2001, an agreement to form a strategic business relationship in the areas of product development, design, engineering, manufacturing of motorcycle and ATV products and components purchasing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ecstatic posted:

Not too dissimilar though:

Well yeah they're similar both inline 4 engines displacing between 1.2 and 1.4 liters made for Japanese motorcycles. However I don't think there's any part sharing or interchangeability between the two.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

There was a yellow frs sitting out in front of the local scion dealership a few months ago, and I just found out those are a special limited model.
http://www.scion.com/cars/release_series/FRSRS1/
It's a great looking color and body, but the step up in price from the normal model is steep.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh man, I love it when they put out a racing edition and the only things they add that would possibly impact performance are a body kit and lowering springs. Certainly worth the money.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm beginning to think Toyota has no idea how to price this car because.. why on earth would you not get a 2015 ??

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Scion advertises "no haggle" poo poo, and never advertises rebates.

The MSRP is only $200 more, that doesn't mean a dealer can't sell the 2014s for less to get them off the lot.

edit: Apparently that changed in canada, god drat.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Powershift posted:

Scion advertises "no haggle" poo poo, and never advertises rebates.

The MSRP is only $200 more, that doesn't mean a dealer can't sell the 2014s for less to get them off the lot.

edit: Apparently that changed in canada, god drat.

Our local dealership has the 2015s marked up to 30k and 2014s at 28k, and every one of them is an automatic. What a bunch of fuckers.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
No haggle poo poo only applies to the current model year, so you can haggle the poo poo out of 2014s now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Calidus posted:

No haggle poo poo only applies to the current model year, so you can haggle the poo poo out of 2014s now.

It's bullshit anyway. I haggled when I bought my 2013 new. It's just a marketing gimmick to get people into the dealer. They'll still make deals.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

On another note I order a ODB2 connector and ProClip Mount to setup Torque on my tablet. I am also getting a strong urge to plasti dip both sets of wheels. I am kinda thinking plasti dip the steelies something fun like blue or red then maybe black the stock wheels.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Scion dealership would not budge on negotiating except on my trade in. I ended up getting a hilarious amount for my piece of poo poo cavalier but still would have liked to get more off the sticker

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

SaltLick posted:

The Scion dealership would not budge on negotiating except on my trade in. I ended up getting a hilarious amount for my piece of poo poo cavalier but still would have liked to get more off the sticker
Same goes for CarMax and other "no haggle" places. Just think of the amount you want to pay, and add it to what's your trade is actually worth, not what the dealer says it's worth.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And then pay sales tax on the full MSRP...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Leperflesh posted:

In some states maybe. In Massachusetts you pay sales tax on the agreed upon sale price minus trade in.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

"out the door" price includes everything, even taxes. Use it in negotiations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Has anyone here change the fluid in transmission and rear differential? I have read lots of post on ft86club about it improving shifting quality. My car has 10k miles on it, I don't know why but I have this idea in my head that flushing the transmission fluid is hard on a car.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Calidus posted:

Has anyone here change the fluid in transmission and rear differential? I have read lots of post on ft86club about it improving shifting quality. My car has 10k miles on it, I don't know why but I have this idea in my head that flushing the transmission fluid is hard on a car.

I didn't "flush" it, but I did a drain and fill at 30 k. The original transmission oil wasn't too bad, but the diff was gross.
It didn't noticibly improve shift quality. The whiteline rear subframe and trans bushings did though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Chriskory posted:

but the diff was gross.

Gross how? If you are just talking about the smell, that's more or less normal for gear oil with friction modifiers in it for LSDs. Smells like the devil's rear end in a top hat.

Anyways, you don't really "flush" a manual transmission. Flushing is something to do with automatic transmissions as you have to make sure you clean all the places where the black magic hides. Manual transmissions are a simple drain and refill. Easier than an oil change aside from having to fill via the dipstick tube.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 12, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

http://jalopnik.com/redesigned-japan-only-gt86-cb-looks-great-but-is-for-w-1685405826

Weird.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I sorta like it. I noticed a lot of weird front end on otherwise familiar looking cars in Japan.

The gauge cluster is nicer at least

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I am car designer toyota give me money now.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Powershift posted:

sebaru.jpg

I am car designer toyota give me money now.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw this too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a concorbaru.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

You say potato...

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Bandire posted:

You say potato...

the two tone really isnt helping

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The two-tone thing is giving me flashbacks to the SVX, and not in a good way. The black/white and silver/white color schemes were so awful. The red/black was okay at least.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Laserface posted:

I sorta like it. I noticed a lot of weird front end on otherwise familiar looking cars in Japan.

The gauge cluster is nicer at least

It's supposed to be sort of Britishy right? Dunno, I think it looks OK, vaguely like a Miata coupe or a knockoff e-type kit car. Not like those ones where they ram a Bentley front end onto a Toyota

Also the LH cars were pretty decent styling-wise. That wasn't their problem

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

yeah it looks way better in any other colour besides the two-tone.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
I like the wheels on the white one.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

bull3964 posted:

Gross how? If you are just talking about the smell, that's more or less normal for gear oil with friction modifiers in it for LSDs. Smells like the devil's rear end in a top hat.

Anyways, you don't really "flush" a manual transmission. Flushing is something to do with automatic transmissions as you have to make sure you clean all the places where the black magic hides. Manual transmissions are a simple drain and refill. Easier than an oil change aside from having to fill via the dipstick tube.

Gross like very dark and a big clump of metallic shavings on the drain plug. Pretty normal for the first diff oil drain from what everyone else has posted. Like this..

Used gear oil totally smells bad, but the Motul 300 I put in smelled wonderful. I'd use an air freshener with that smell.

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 13, 2015

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Calidus posted:

Changed both the transmission and rear differential fluid at something like 24,000 KM. The car will be harder to shift with until the transmission is warm, but that's what you get when you have tight tolerances that give you a good feel when shifting. I don't think it really made a difference in the shifting feel but I would recommend changing it after the first 20K or so due to the sheer quantity of metal particles from break-in (a significant amount in the differential). It's pretty easy to change, get some Motul 300 gear so you only need to purchase 4 litres of fluid as opposed to 3 litres for the transmission + 2 litres for the differential. The nozzle on Motul 300 gear bottle also allows you to skip using a pump. Solid guide can be found here, my only advice is to watch out when you take out the drain bolt on the transmission, the fluid shot out further than I thought:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19218

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Installed a full JDL exhaust (UEL headers, overpipe, frontpipe), and a grimmspeed intake. Then got it tuned. No more torque dip, and a few HP to boot.

Also it now sounds pretty.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 28, 2015

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How much did that end up costing you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

SaltLick posted:

How much did that end up costing you?

I bought the parts piecemeal, used when I could. Intake and overpipe were the only new parts, and I got them fairly discounted. Black Friday on the overpipe, and $50 off the intake. Also bought new gaskets all around.

About... 1900 in parts. Protune, dyno time and ECUTEK license was 700-ish.

• Locked thread