Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Dear lord, please let no-one ever suggest again that a book or book series could be made into an anime. Thank you and amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Having just watched all of that wheel of time pilot I can't believe it is anything other than something to allow Universal to hold onto the rights.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hedrigall posted:

Dear lord, please let no-one ever suggest again that a book or book series could be made into an anime. Thank you and amen.

What you mean the glorious Miyazaki classic "Tales of Earthsea" isn't the greatest adaptation you've ever seen?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

It was Jonathan Ross. He's a British talk show guy. You're thinking of Peter Serafinowicz who I'm pretty sure had nothing to do with it.

And yeah it was dumb and what I've read of the first InCryptid novel was terrible, sorry.

Ah, apparently I got my british dudes mixed up. Sorry bout that.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

What you mean the glorious Miyazaki classic "Tales of Earthsea" isn't the greatest adaptation you've ever seen?

That was Miyazaki's son rather than Hayao Miyazaki himself. The elder Miyazaki had been a huge fan of Earthsea since forever and had tried before to get Le Guin to allow him to do an adaptation but she had very little faith in TV or movie adaptations (and not without reason obviously) but she just didn't know who he was, other than 'some Japanese dude wanting to make a cartoon?' and then when she found out many years later, Miyazaki trusted his son to do this thing he loved dearly and his son was looking forward to his first real go at animation directing and managed to crash and burn completely. So it's a tragedy all around.

Meanwhile I really enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle despite the adaptation being substantially different from the novel.

Also recently I finished the the third League of Peoples novel by James Alan Gardner. Vigilant is a little SFNal mystery set on a world with some charmingly quirky aliens against a backdrop of extreme and recent tragedy. Gardner's central conceit with the League of Peoples is that violence can't be carried between planets and this is enforced by near-godlike advanced civilizations, so all nefarious scheming has to either not involve violence or be contained to a single planet. I am not sure it always works, but the voices he gives his characters are varied and the text itself is often darkly funny.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hedrigall posted:

Wheel of Time is basically an anime already, right down to emo protagonist with three love interests, one blonde, one redhead, and one boyish brunette.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

"Watashi wa Borudemootu-sama desu."

I have no idea how/if that can be anagrammed.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I just couldn't take her seriously as an author (or someone who I'd want to give money to in any way) after she went mental about some award show where she thought the host was going to make fun of her being fat.

NO ONE, and I repeat, NO ONE said anything about her weight, she just saw the guy doing the awards show as a comedian and immediately went into "OH GOD I'M GOING TO GET MADE FUN OF CAUSE I'M A FATTY" and caused a big stir and the host guy just said "gently caress it, I'm out".

It was retarded as hell.

Dude was Peter something. Was in Guardians of the Galaxy as the "What a bunch of A-holes" guy.

Huh. Hadn't heard about that.

Megazver posted:

And yeah it was dumb and what I've read of the first InCryptid novel was terrible, sorry.

How so, if you don't mind explaining?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Szmitten posted:

They'd call it WataBoru and be done with it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Szmitten posted:

Apparently, they pretty much said "gently caress it" and put the anagram in English. http://www.cjvlang.com/Hpotter/wordplay/riddle.html

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

corn in the bible posted:

I assume they were planning on airing it later but someone noticed their contract runs out tomorrow and they had to rush it to maintain the tv rights

Couldn't have happened to a better fan base.

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wheel of Time is basically an anime already, right down to emo protagonist with three love interests, one blonde, one redhead, and one boyish brunette.

Well the costs of animation would be really really low since they could just splice in the same scene of smoothing out a skirt, tugging on a braid, etc about 40x an episode.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

That is not how I would have said Aes Sedai lovely TV show linguists.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

funakupo posted:

Well the costs of animation would be really really low since they could just splice in the same scenes from the first three seasons into the other ten without anyone noticing.

Fixed for wheel of time accuracy.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Hedrigall posted:

Apparently, they pretty much said "gently caress it" and put the anagram in English. http://www.cjvlang.com/Hpotter/wordplay/riddle.html

I haven't read Potter but this anagram translation business is fascinating, and there's a whole list of various translations!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Onean posted:

How so, if you don't mind explaining?

From the very loving start: She's from a ancient monster-fighting dynasty, but works as a waitress because True Blood reasons? Ugh. There's a bestie to discuss boys and clothes with. She's a vampire. Of course. There's also a hot mysterious guy who's hot and mysterious introduced in the very first pages. Let me guess, he's from the whatever monster-fighting organization her family left? Thanks, I'll pass. She fights whatever the gently caress she fights (I deleted it after a few chapters) with the power of ballet. Because studying ballet makes her Batman. Sigh.

Okay, fine, this is just what makes it cliche girly UF bullshit. You might actually enjoy cliche girly UF bullshit. I occasionally enjoy cliche bullshit aimed at my demographic. Now here's why these books are a piece of poo poo:

So the first chapter is about her hunting this serial killer ghoul, yeah? He's killed and eaten fifteen girls so far, no biggie. The police evidently haven't heard about this yet, because no one cares about fifteen white girls rich enough to go clubbing disappearing in a short period of time, but she's onto it through her... waitress network? Okay, moving on. So she's staking him out by, y'know, going to random clubs night after night with her vamp bestie, staring at random dudes and hoping he'll be her cannibal serial killer. Frankly, I am surprised the death count is at mere fifteen victims. I wonder how long that list was when she embarked on her club offensive.

So anyway, she first tries the hot and mysterious guy who's hot and mysterious AND SPARKS FLY BUT THINGS ARE COMPLICATED but he's not it, but then she does notice a guy leaving with a girl and that's some ghoul poo poo right there, yo. So yeah, she follows them, saves the girl, beats up the ghoul with, sigh, ballet batman skills... then tells him to leave town and he, a ghoul, ever eats someone again she'll totally hunt him down and put him down. As long as he does it in the city she lives in (airfare is tough on a waitress paycheck, okay?) and just goes to the clubs for the victims again. Ten, fifteen victims more tops and she'll end this motherfucker. Because she's Whatsherface Ballet-Batman, Protector of This City and Monsterkind, Which Is Misunderstood, As Demonstrated By This Chapter. *strikes heroic pose*

That's just the first chapter's worth of bullshit. The author of this book has been been nominated for the last four Best Novel Hugos in a row. poo poo, Larry Correia is twat, but the circlejerk that Hugos have turned to almost makes me wish his troll vote brigading works.

PS The mice were alright, I guess.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It *could* be done as an anime.

If any doorstop fantasy/sci-fi novels are to be adapted into anime it should be Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

systran posted:

I just read Proxima by Stephen Baxter. It had one of the worst endings I've ever read in a book. The book started okay and became worse and worse as it went on, but the ending brought the whole book down several levels.

I also just finished this and have mixed feelings on it.

It's hard to decide whether I liked it or not as some parts were pretty cool and other parts were just awful or didn't make any sense at all. I think I could basically narrow it down to, anything involving the hatch was loving stupid. It could have been a decent book if he had just not introduced the hatches and stuck with the Kernals and the rest of the story. I enjoyed the parts about colonizing and I enjoyed the politics between the UN and China but I'm not sure why he needed to make it a story about alternate realities.

The hatches made no sense at all. Why did the hatch on Mercury when used the first time make Penny appear and become apart of a new timeline with only Stef remembering the old one and then for some reason it decided to become a portal to Per Ardua? And why was Angelia even a character? I thought her chapters were pretty cool and then she was just basically dropped and only heard from again for a "one liner" of no importance at the end. Also, what was the point of Dexter Cole? The whole book they tease that he was the first to go there and that he may still be around, then we find out that "Sorry he died on the cold side of the planet and he was a baby eater.... that is all."

Yuri and the gang appearing in an alternate reality where Romans are a space faring civilization was also a pretty dumb ending. It was seriously so ridiculous that I've picked up the next book "Ultima" to see how it turns out. I'm about 50 pages in and the Romans fly around in wood (yes wood) interstellar spaceships using the kernals. They seriously fly them with levers and pulleys..... I may just have to keep reading to see where it goes.

On second thought, I didn't much like this book at all.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Wow, okay. I'm with you on the opening part, just not as...violently, I suppose? It's not a good opening, though not as bad as you make it out to be. Her partner isn't a vampire (not even close) and the first guy she dances with isn't from the organization you mention either, in fact I'm pretty sure he never comes up again. There is a perfectly reasonable reason why she's on her own working as a waitress, and I think you dumped the book right before you got to it. And it's not ballet (ballroom dancing, actually) that makes her fight the way she does, it's the training-to-fight-since-6-years-old (edit: which everybody in her family has to do) that does that. I agree the ghoul bit could have been handled much better, though.

I thought it more than made up for the problems at the start as it went along, and the second and third books were much better. They're definitely not deep, thought provoking, top of the line fiction, but I still had a lot of fun reading them and that's what I look for in most books, unless I'm specifically looking for something deeper.

All that said, there's absolutely something to be said for personal preference, and apparently this is definitely not up your alley.

Onean fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 10, 2015

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I read the wiki article on vox day for the hell of it and it was very amusing. I have to say a christian who refers to himself as the voice of god makes me raise an eyebrow but it does fit with his general public persona (a giant shithead)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ravenkult posted:

Anything similar to the Walking Dead? Like, somewhat realistic zombie apocalypse. I pick up books that describe themselves as similar and they end up having robots or magic or some poo poo.

The Girl with All the Gifts by M R Carey is in that vein, although they're more Last of Us zombies than traditional. No magic or super tech or anything like that though. The basic premise is that a group of people who work at a military lab are traveling across England trying to get back to London after the lab is overrun.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

johnsonrod posted:

I also just finished this and have mixed feelings on it.

It's hard to decide whether I liked it or not as some parts were pretty cool and other parts were just awful or didn't make any sense at all. I think I could basically narrow it down to, anything involving the hatch was loving stupid. It could have been a decent book if he had just not introduced the hatches and stuck with the Kernals and the rest of the story. I enjoyed the parts about colonizing and I enjoyed the politics between the UN and China but I'm not sure why he needed to make it a story about alternate realities.

The hatches made no sense at all. Why did the hatch on Mercury when used the first time make Penny appear and become apart of a new timeline with only Stef remembering the old one and then for some reason it decided to become a portal to Per Ardua? And why was Angelia even a character? I thought her chapters were pretty cool and then she was just basically dropped and only heard from again for a "one liner" of no importance at the end. Also, what was the point of Dexter Cole? The whole book they tease that he was the first to go there and that he may still be around, then we find out that "Sorry he died on the cold side of the planet and he was a baby eater.... that is all."

Yuri and the gang appearing in an alternate reality where Romans are a space faring civilization was also a pretty dumb ending. It was seriously so ridiculous that I've picked up the next book "Ultima" to see how it turns out. I'm about 50 pages in and the Romans fly around in wood (yes wood) interstellar spaceships using the kernals. They seriously fly them with levers and pulleys..... I may just have to keep reading to see where it goes.

On second thought, I didn't much like this book at all.

Haha, I can't believe you read the second one after that ending!

quote:

I'm about 50 pages in and the Romans fly around in wood (yes wood) interstellar spaceships using the kernals. They seriously fly them with levers and pulleys..... I may just have to keep reading to see where it goes.

That is loving insane...so glad I didn't read it.

I think the colonization of Per Ardua was the only redeeming thing. I agree, Angelia was a character for no reason, the twin split made no sense, and the ending was the loving worst. Basically the pacing of the whole thing was just off and terrible. The solar system getting fried at the end was dumb as well.

I had an issue with the kernals; I didn't feel they were interesting at all. I'm getting very very tired of each sci-fi book's take on how to get around light speed barriers and how to do interstellar travel with some gimmick. Stumbling onto a miracle solution is usually boring no matter what, but the way Proxima gave nods to it "being too easy" and still hosed it up made it somehow even worse. The dumbest thing to me about this book was that he showed that it was possible to get to Proxima already without miracle alien poo poo, but then he added the alien poo poo in anyway. The hatch was definitely the worst offender.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

General Battuta posted:

Holy poo poo, yes it is. I was exactly like you - a lot of people don't like Fall, but it really worked for me. Then I read Endymion. It's the rare sequel capable of canceling out all your positive sentiments towards the antecedent by making it retroactively lovely. Don't read it.

Here, let me spoil the cool poo poo you will find in Endymion. The space Catholics build an extremely :unsmigghh: spaceship that accelerates so fast it crushes the crew into paste. They're reconstructed by cruciform symbiotes when they get to their destination. Congratulations, that's all the cool poo poo you will find in Endymion. :catholic:

That and the organic Dyson sphere system. Don't read it.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Honestly, an anime series is probably the only way Wheel of Time could ever be adapted to screen faithfully. It's way too drat long for a movie or movies, no question. This leaves a TV series or an animated show, and once again, the length comes in. By the time the series would be done filming, the 25 year olds who play 17 year olds would probably be 40 year olds playing 20 year olds, and the older characters would have had their actors die or retire, to say nothing of characters who disappear for books at a time.

So, we have some sort of animated show left. Either American or Japanese would work, but American animated shows tend to be shorter and more serial, so anime's left. There's no reason it couldn't be American made, it's just when you think long drawn out animated series with way too many characters, you think something like Dragon Ball over Avatar TLA.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think you can adapt something faithfully without adapting it literally and completely. In fact, I would probably argue that the two are often contradictory. A move between mediums should probably involve major changes to ensure the narrative, themes and characterisation are effectively translated. The worst adaptations are highly literal ones that focus on replication of minutiae rather than the important stuff.

I think I'd rather have an adaptation which aims to fix and improve on the original rather than slavishly imitate. Otherwise what's the point? And probably the best thing to start with is cutting down the series to the essentials and losing a lot of the cruft.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Virigoth posted:

That is not how I would have said Aes Sedai lovely TV show linguists.

I think that was Jordan's pronunciation, I've never heard it any other way.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Blamestorm posted:

I think you can adapt something faithfully without adapting it literally and completely. In fact, I would probably argue that the two are often contradictory. A move between mediums should probably involve major changes to ensure the narrative, themes and characterisation are effectively translated. The worst adaptations are highly literal ones that focus on replication of minutiae rather than the important stuff.

I think I'd rather have an adaptation which aims to fix and improve on the original rather than slavishly imitate. Otherwise what's the point? And probably the best thing to start with is cutting down the series to the essentials and losing a lot of the cruft.

But then the script would just be blank pages :confused:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

People have been saying 'the only way to make an adaptation of X Series is as an animation' for everything, for years. Off the top of my head, it's never happend (apart from that Lord of the Rings movie). I don't think they're going to start now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think that was Jordan's pronunciation, I've never heard it any other way.

Was it "Eyes Said I?" I hate it, but that was Jordan's.
http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27pronunciation%27

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Junkenstein posted:

People have been saying 'the only way to make an adaptation of X Series is as an animation' for everything, for years. Off the top of my head, it's never happend (apart from that Lord of the Rings movie). I don't think they're going to start now.

And it has only been true for Snow Crash.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

And Neuromancer + sequels. Those books read like an 80's movie script.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Slavvy posted:

I once read that Snow Crash was supposed to be a graphic novel. In that light the imagery in the book is much more interesting.

On that note I have blown through 4 novels on this vacation. Memoirs Found In A Bathtub, Handmaid's Tale, and 2 Hornblower books. Got a couple at home but... Any recommendations for Cyberpunk? Read Neuromancer, Snow Crash, a bunch more Stephenson.. Not sure what else is out there that would be considered Cyberpunk.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

SquadronROE posted:

I once read that Snow Crash was supposed to be a graphic novel. In that light the imagery in the book is much more interesting.

On that note I have blown through 4 novels on this vacation. Memoirs Found In A Bathtub, Handmaid's Tale, and 2 Hornblower books. Got a couple at home but... Any recommendations for Cyberpunk? Read Neuromancer, Snow Crash, a bunch more Stephenson.. Not sure what else is out there that would be considered Cyberpunk.

If you liked Neuromancer, I'd say it's worth reading the next two novels in the Sprawl trilogy -- Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive.

Also Richar K. Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy is very good, and worth checking out -- start with Altered Carbon.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Ian McDonald's River of Gods is great. Will McIntosh's Soft Apocalypse is a cool cyberpunk apocalypse novel.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?
I finished The Half-Made World and liked it enough. I'm 60 pages into the sequel and not enjoying Harry Ransom's story. Should I stop reading, or does it get back to the stuff left open at the end of the first book, or The Gun and The Line in general?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SquadronROE posted:

Bruce Bethke's HeadCrash, lots of Bruce Sterling and William Gibson qualifies, I guess Shadowrun novels if you get desperate?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Slavvy posted:

They're still making a Neuromancer movie! :(

I'm pretty sure Vincenzo Natali of Cube, Cypher and Splice fame, is directing still. If you've seen Cypher, you will believe! :pray:

Cypher is a good cyberpunk/spy movie.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

I finished The Half-Made World and liked it enough. I'm 60 pages into the sequel and not enjoying Harry Ransom's story. Should I stop reading, or does it get back to the stuff left open at the end of the first book, or The Gun and The Line in general?
It only addresses it indirectly, so while you will get resolution, it really is Ransom from end to end. The stories end up intertwining in a way that was very satisfying to me, but I enjoyed Ransom's story in and of itself.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ulmont posted:

Was it "Eyes Said I?" I hate it, but that was Jordan's.
http://www.theoryland.com/intvsresults.php?kwt=%27pronunciation%27

Yeah, that's what the show uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SquadronROE posted:

Watership Down.