Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i enjoy weirding people out here by holding doors and calling them sir and miss and ma'am

but one of my bosses had to tell me not to do that in business correspondence since it was "way way too formal" to refer to someone i had never met as Mr. Firstname in an email

what? since when? does he even say this for the initial contacts before you know a person well?

hell, until i get to know someone i feel weird emailing them as mr or ms whatever because what if they have a doctorate i don't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you are in the USA you are in a cultural backwater.

:agreed:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

what if they have a doctorate i don't know about?

hahahahahahahahahahahah

*deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ive gotten emails out of the loving blue from HS classmates that I never spoke to post grad with "It's Dr. XXXXXX now!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yea but you come from a culture of humblebragging through church luncheons / family christmas letters / elk clubs

canada has much more of the british "oh, yes, well it's not really much to talk about, he's an astronaut now" way of handling it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

ive gotten emails out of the loving blue from HS classmates that I never spoke to post grad with "It's Dr. XXXXXX now!"

gently caress those people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

what? since when? does he even say this for the initial contacts before you know a person well?

hell, until i get to know someone i feel weird emailing them as mr or ms whatever because what if they have a doctorate i don't know about?

yep

sat me down in the conference room like i was in trouble or something

it's really jarring to start business correspondence with Hi $Firstname but that's what they want and apparently what everyone uses that i've seen

in civil honorifics are easy since there aren't really any docs so you just accrue a shitload of letters after your name and lord that over everyone else instead

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

linkedin thank god

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
what hosed up part of the world do you not address emails to people you havent met yet as Mr/Ms <LastName>

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

i hold doors all the time but i avoided the m'am/sir, thank god

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my dad corrected like a 7 year old friend of mine once with "it's actualy DOCTOR xxxxxx"

he is not a real doctor, just one with like a phd in philosophy or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

uncurable mlady posted:

what hosed up part of the world do you not address emails to people you havent met yet as Mr/Ms <LastName>

canada, for one.

business communication is very informal in that particular fashion, unless it's a completely cold initial contact where you haven't been introduced by a colleague or other third party you just start with Firstname, or Hi Firstname, depending on how formal you want to be.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

uncurable mlady posted:

Hey,

or, if you're feeling formal,

Hello,

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my dad corrected like a 7 year old friend of mine once with "it's actualy DOCTOR xxxxxx"

lol your dad is a dick

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

just start with Firstname, or Hi Firstname, depending on how formal you want to be
hahaha

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if it's someone you're not personally familiar with there's no reason to use their first name

"mister james" would make me think whoever was writing it was an offshore recruiter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

same only african scammer

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

infernal machines posted:

canada, for one.

canada seems rly laid back

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Mr. Firstname in an email

do you mean Mr Lastname, or do you really refer to people in the same way that an outsourced tech support drone would

:psyduck:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

qirex posted:

if it's someone you're not personally familiar with there's no reason to use their first name

"mister james" would make me think whoever was writing it was an offshore recruiter

kalstrams posted:

same only african scammer

thank you both

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i'm on the west coast. everybody opens their email with "hello [first]"

maybe y'all elsewhere need to unclench a little

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

uncurable mlady posted:

canada seems rly laid back

it sure is.

the only people who address anyone as mr/mrs anything in writing are vendors.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

duTrieux. posted:

I'm hella west coast [see what I did there] and if I'm actually familiar with someone I don't bother with a greeting just start the message
that said it's always better to be super careful with email

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've been working in toronto for like a decade now, unless you're selling something, applying for a job, or addressing a judge you don't bother with honourifics

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

my jimmies!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

bobbilljim posted:

do you mean Mr Lastname, or do you really refer to people in the same way that an outsourced tech support drone would

:psyduck:

that's standard southern ettiquette

also the default conversational honorific for women is "miss" regardless of marital status, even in a business setting (correspondence still adheres to ms. tho) - mrs. is always impolite

and if you're addressing a mayor in business correspondence the proper honorific is "honorable $firstname $lastname" which my boss also laughed about when i asked if that was a thing here

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the ph in phd stands for philosophy

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qirex posted:

I'm hella west coast [see what I did there] and if I'm actually familiar with someone I don't bother with a greeting just start the message
that said it's always better to be super careful with email

norcal :argh:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

and if you're addressing a mayor in business correspondence the proper honorific is "honorable $firstname $lastname" which my boss also laughed about when i asked if that was a thing here

in canada the proper address for a mayor is Your Worship

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pinterest Mom posted:

just like a surly han

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't actually say hella except on the internet, never really did since that was east bay/peninsula talk and I am a whitey marin kid

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

duTrieux. posted:

they can't without some kind of chemical aid

even then they're repressing so much bile they'd prolly just have tori style meltdowns

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

in canada the proper address for a supreme court justice is Jolly Old

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that's standard southern ettiquette

also the default conversational honorific for women is "miss" regardless of marital status, even in a business setting (correspondence still adheres to ms. tho) - mrs. is always impolite

the ph in phd stands for philosophy

drat i guess they south really is as hosed up as they say

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

qirex posted:

I don't actually say hella except on the internet, never really did since that was east bay/peninsula talk and I am a whitey marin kid

i've been here 3 years and i say hella all the drat time, i even say hecka when there are ladies present because i am polite

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

syscall girl posted:

they can't without some kind of chemical aid

even then they're repressing so much bile they'd prolly just have tori style meltdowns

I've never had a meltdown.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bobbilljim posted:

drat i guess they south really is as hosed up as they say

don't even get me started on debutante balls

futurewife was made to do it and my god

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't even get me started on debutante balls

futurewife was made to do it and my god

tell us about the implied ownership of debutants by their fathers

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Sagebrush posted:

in canada the proper address for a supreme court justice is Jolly Old

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

at least debutante balls only imply it

go a little farther into the woods and you get the purity balls that outright assert it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

bobbilljim posted:

and then there's dancing with every single creepy old dad

• Locked thread