Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Technically, Tribbles can't say No.
So I've been a bit of a lurker around here, first time poster as of today. My main is in REDdit alert but I keep being told by a goon buddy of mine (who bought me the sub here) that I should ditch reddit and become one of you.

So here I am. Teach me your ways, o goon overlords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Celoth posted:

So I've been a bit of a lurker around here, first time poster as of today. My main is in REDdit alert but I keep being told by a goon buddy of mine (who bought me the sub here) that I should ditch reddit and become one of you.

Lurk more.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Celoth posted:

Go away.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hi! Welcome to somethingawful.com!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

im spi

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

I'm positive the sole decision making at PWE was basically...

"We want to sell people yet another upgrade for ships they already own, despite buying them and probably buying fleet modules for them too. Let's make sure to make the upgrades important enough to be mandatory."
"But why would anyone buy old ships now when the new ships don't have to pay for an upgrade?"
"Oh right! Just make them cost more. Also not fleet quality so we can sell that to them later too."

No real... thought to making it enticing or satisfying, just slapping more costs on out of pure naked greed. :downs:

All those old ships are now useless, especially for the price. They were pretty much useless before too, but at least most of the T-4 ships were similar make to T5 ships so that even if they didn't have a decent console maybe you liked the skin. Now that all the T6 ships are unique in appearance (and you can buy each to unlock new appearances!) the only reason to spring for any of them is like, plans leech and maybe that one romulan console? There isn't even a valid reason to drop cash on the Legacy of Romulus pack anymore. Its pretty bad marketing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

Its pretty bad marketing.
DeltaRising.txt :v:

It gets even worse when you realize the massive grinds makes leveling alts insane, and by extension, makes those big cross-faction packs way less appealing. Who would spend sixty extra bucks getting ships for klanks who do nothing but doff for contraband?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Celoth posted:

Who is your goon buddy? There are rituals that must proceed immediately if you are to be safely inducted into the Goon Hivemind, and said buddy's presence is a requirement.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Asimo posted:

DeltaRising.txt :v:

It gets even worse when you realize the massive grinds makes leveling alts insane, and by extension, makes those big cross-faction packs way less appealing. Who would spend sixty extra bucks getting ships for klanks who do nothing but doff for contraband?

That's exactly where they lost me. I've never been one for buying the ships individually but played enough that the big giant ship packs made sense to me. I've hardly touched my alts since delta rising and have no desire to upgrade the tons and tons of gear between them, making the purchase of anything but fed ships a bigger waste of money than it was already.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Celoth posted:

He forgot to tell you about the intro thread in FYAD didn't he? Even referrals need to do that so get to it.

Asimo posted:

Derpcelsior! :downs:

Overall thoughts: they're pretty okay but nothing exceptional and you can skip them entirely if you got an Eclipse or Astika or something already. Not enough variation between them to even remotely justify faction three-packs. As usual the klank variant is outright superior to the Fed one due to having a cloak. They're fleet level at least if you don't want to spend money and then more money later. The tac trait is probably the only one worth bothering with, but it looks really good for ships that aren't these. I guess a lot comes down to whether the Inspiration thing is worth it (it won't be) since we already know the command skills are poo poo. :effort:

What is with the LEGO plastic nacelles?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trast posted:

What is with the LEGO plastic nacelles?

All will be forgiven, if Cryptic just adds in one ground weapon

The orange transparent chainsaw.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Celoth posted:

Good afternoon fellow trekkie! All new goons fresh off of the boat are required to post an introduction thread in the "FYAD" subforum below "GBS". Content should be a thorough, well-read post, including a detailed history with previous forum groups, and game guilds. This is a basic requirement that we are all required to do and no one is excluded. I look forward to learning more about you!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I am absolutely, 100% poo poo at Bridge Officer builds, to be honest. What should the Guardian Cruiser build be? I'm comparatively poor so I have myself A2B'd doff-wise.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I am absolutely, 100% poo poo at Bridge Officer builds, to be honest. What should the Guardian Cruiser build be? I'm comparatively poor so I have myself A2B'd doff-wise.

I'm sure that there are some deeply thought out intricate builds, but my suggestion is to load it up with that A2B build and do about 10 Argalas to finish the mastery and get the ship trait. Then, delete that poo poo before it eats into your brain.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

system protocol posted:

Good afternoon fellow trekkie! All new goons fresh off of the boat are required to post an introduction thread in the "FYAD" subforum below "GBS". Content should be a thorough, well-read post, including a detailed history with previous forum groups, and game guilds. This is a basic requirement that we are all required to do and no one is excluded. I look forward to learning more about you!

GBS is dead. Long live Whiskers =^.^=

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Treat it like a fleet assault cruiser with grav well 1.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

FuturePastNow posted:

Treat it like a fleet assault cruiser with grav well 1.

Yeah pretty much this. I'd run TBR over gravwell though since you're going to be tanking your aux power most of the time anyways.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Norf Korea doesnt have a monopoly on korea crazy

http://www.unification.net/leesanghun/leesanghun20020701.html

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Celoth posted:

You may have heard of me. I am the great Butts. Ask me what it's like being banned 2 years ago.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Anniversery event is going to be extended to march 2.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

Tunicate posted:

Anniversery event is going to be extended to march 2.

Looks like the demise of this lovely game is going to be extended. PWE may be having second thoughts about destroying Cryptic.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Who is your goon buddy? There are rituals that must proceed immediately if you are to be safely inducted into the Goon Hivemind, and said buddy's presence is a requirement.

Sorry I don't answer to 2012s with garbage dicks.

Also, I just signed up for this game. How do I make a light saber?

Malek fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 12, 2015

Celoth
Jun 21, 2014

Technically, Tribbles can't say No.

Malek posted:

Sorry I don't answer to 2012s with garbage dicks.

Hush, you. And what's this intro post in FYAD that you never told me about?

Goons, I think I need a new mentor, Malek sucks.

EDIT: Oh hang on. You're not talking to me. Guess I suck.

quote:

You may have heard of me. I am the great Butts. Ask me what it's like being banned 2 years ago.

What's it like being banned two years ago?

Celoth fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 12, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Celoth posted:

2003s answer to 2002s.

Under the Whiskers forum there is a FYAD forum, you need to post your introduction thread there before being eligible to join goon guilds.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Oh gently caress the battle for regdate supremacy has begun, can we get a 2001 to chime in here?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
I win.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Congratulations! You're the big winner!

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

:worship:

What is thy bidding, my master?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Mondian posted:

:worship:

What is thy bidding, my master?

idgaf, too old to care.

Goat Pillager
Mar 1, 2013

Celoth posted:

Case in point, nobody wants you here :frogout:

Actually...on second thought, you could earn your place by working your way up through the Dental Academy!

Once you pay a 10 million EC security deposite and submit your resume I'll be happy to invite you in to start your re-education.

Violent Kitten
Dec 26, 2011

Dearmad bhean
an ti ag an gcat.
So I was bored and decided to do a Tovme. As in, do a terrible foundry mission and write a running commentary.

Foundry mission: Homage to Galris
Time: tl:dr

This mission is like listening to an old person talk. Some ambassador gets assassinated, the culprit is obvious. Between all that, is seemingly the complete history of this fictional race of cactus people, their caste system (very bijoran), the typical go to backstory of their population recovering from the borg, etc, etc, tl:dr. I tried. I tried to read the dialogue, the massive blocks of text. Railrokh had a better time teabagging the corpse of the dead guy. It's like an old person telling a story about the good old days, then going off on a tangent about something completely irrelevant.

It's so bad, even a member of xtern1ty gave it a bad review.

Conclusion: Since the UESF has been removed, this may serve as a new method of torture. Alternatively, if you're having sleep problems, this may help send you to sleep.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

Celoth posted:

It was worth it.

Edit: Loading up that pubbie mission. As soon as it loaded, I was stricken with the sudden urge to take a nap. Maybe I'll play it tomorrow.

BombermanX fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 12, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1375241

Another player poll. Since we've seen those work so well in the past.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The more baffling thing is how "exploration missions" are winning by a commanding lead. While no sane individual willingly played them before or is looking forward to whatever half-assed procedurally-generated crap Cryptic pisses out.

The only thing I can think of (beyond the usual incompetence and autism of the playerbase) is the usual nerd problem of getting this dream of some feature (explore infinite exciting worlds!!) that has no relation to how said feature would ever work in reality. But even then there's the prefect counter example in recent memory... :psyduck:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Asimo posted:

The more baffling thing is how "exploration missions" are winning by a commanding lead. While no sane individual willingly played them before or is looking forward to whatever half-assed procedurally-generated crap Cryptic pisses out.

The only thing I can think of (beyond the usual incompetence and autism of the playerbase) is the usual nerd problem of getting this dream of some feature (explore infinite exciting worlds!!) that has no relation to how said feature would ever work in reality. But even then there's the prefect counter example in recent memory... :psyduck:

...the people in the forums are just the worst.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Asimo posted:

I look at those options and its not like any other choice is much better.

"PvP queues" mmmyeah right.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I picked fleet poo poo because we need bigger fleets, right?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

BombermanX posted:

I picked fleet poo poo because we need bigger fleets, right?

Release Notes for April 1, 2015
Added security measure to Fleet holdings: Fleet Locks!
- Fleet Locks require Fleet Authorization Keys to unlock upgrades and new T6 fleet equipment and starships.
- Fleet Authorization Keys can be bought from the C-Store for 700 Zen each, or as a four-pack for 2500 Zen.

Known Issues:
- Fleet Starbase, Embassy, Mine and Spire holdings permanently reverted to Level 0 as a result of improving fleet holdings.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I would love to see good exploration in a Star Trek game. I do not believe Cryptic is remotely capable of making that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9067943-first-time-buyer-pack

bloody laugh this is

• Locked thread