Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

How are the two Knights Of The Old Republic games? The first game I hear gets unanimous praise while the second gets a lot of mixed reception.

The second game was released in a borderline-unfinished state. It is a far more conceptually interesting game that the first game but also rougher and basically lacking a meaningful final area. There are some mods which restore some of the lost content so it's still worth playing. The first game isn't bad but it's a Bioware game through and through. The second game relies on the first so play the first and go for the second if you liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

if you want to play them both just make sure you play them in order. they're both good games. the mechanics were better in 2 but the story was definitely rushed + unfinished. if you play on pc you can use an unofficial patch to restore that though.

e:fb

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

DoubleCakes posted:

How are the two Knights Of The Old Republic games? The first game I hear gets unanimous praise while the second gets a lot of mixed reception.

It's the usual Bioware/Obsidian relationship. Obsidian writes better, Bioware has more resources. KOTOR 2 was released in an unfinished state, but feels like a full game with the fan-made content restoration mod.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

First KotOR, you might need to do some finagling to get it running on Windows 7 or newer. It doesn't play nice with those sometimes. There are ways around it, but I gather it's a bit unstable no matter what you do.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Pablo Gigante posted:

I played BIS already and loved it, and I do love Zelda games and I'll definitely pick up Majora's Mask 3D but I'd like something more traditional :)

I tend to like RPGs that have a good balance of story and interesting mechanics. For reference Chrono Trigger is probably my favorite game of all time.

devil survivor: overclocked, fire emblem: awakening, and bravely default are all good 3ds rpgs. overclocked and fire emblem are turn-based strategy games, and bravely default is basically a classic final fantasy game with modern quality of life features and a cool gimmick to the battle system.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

devil survivor: overclocked, fire emblem: awakening, and bravely default are all good 3ds rpgs. overclocked and fire emblem are turn-based strategy games, and bravely default is basically a classic final fantasy game with modern quality of life features and a cool gimmick to the battle system.

I too recommend Fire Emblem: The Story of the missing feet

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just played the KOTOR games for the first time last month. 2 was way better.

The problem is BW does characters better than story but the only good character in 1 is Canderous.

2 has a better cast, a more intriguing story and, this is very important to me, a better selection of morality choices.

Morality choices are a big thing for me and these WRPGs so I was glad for that. The first game was basically "be a boy scout or be a cartoon villain." Kinda like Mass Effect 1. That's the thing I've discovered about myself though and something I was chided for repeatedly elsewhere. I'm an incredibly nice guy to pretty much everyone I talk to and I can remember being honestly shocked at some of the dialogue choices when I started up Dragon Age Origins for the first time. "I would never, EVER say that!" was my reaction to a lot of the choices because they were just needlessly rude.

Thing is, I'm less of a stickler on killing or doing things others might consider "evil." That nice Desire Demon asked for me to leave her and the Templar alone so I did that. Same for the one with Connor. There was no need to resort to barbarism as we talked out our differences.

Anyway, in my long, self-indulgent rambling, there was a part in KOTOR 1 where you can kill a random unimportant NPC. Just some completely helpless and terrified person. There's no rewards for killing her unlike the bounties you can collect on other terrified, helpless people. And the dialogue choice for killing her, because she was like a cook or something, was "sorry but your order is up and it's time to punch your ticket!" That wasn't exactly it but it was some incredibly glib remark that basically meant "I'm gonna murder this helpless person." I don't abide by that.

I felt a kindred spirit with the HK-50 Droids in KOTOR II however. They were out to kill and torture you but they were always very civil about it.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Even in it's completely unfinished state, KOTOR 2 is still an excellent RPG with some of the finest most complex writing you can find in video games. It's a complete and total deconstruction of Star Wars from the top-down and has one of the best written female game character (maybe actually the best period??) in Kreia.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Semper Fudge posted:

Even if it's completely unfinished state, KOTOR 2 is still an excellent RPG with some of the finest most complex writing you can find in video games. It's a complete and total deconstruction of Star Wars from the top-down and has one of the best written female characters (maybe actually the best period??) in Kreia.

I got Influence at 100 with her in no time because I just loved listening to her talk. I also did everything she asked.

Made me sad when she yelled at me for killing all the Jedi Masters and saying I failed her. Besides, it was the completely right choice to kill all of them...

There's a small mod you can install for KOTOR II whee Bao-Dur's Remote shows Influence. I dunno if I can link to it so just type that into Google and it will show up. That was a dumb thing in the game because Influence in KOTOR II is lika Approval in DAO. You will only learn all about a character by getting Influence really high or really low. That mod will let you know how you are doing because otherwise there's no way in the game to track it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 13, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kotor 2 let me run around duel wielding pistols instead of using a light saber and still be a viable and contributing member of the team even when other jedi were using their light sabers, which kotor 1 didnt let me do because everything but melee was completely useless. shame that the ending is unfinished but the rest of the game is p dang good.

e: if you do play kotor 2, you should pick a male character. while the exile's canon sex is female, her unique character is less developed and less interesting than the males.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 13, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Kotor1 gets a lot of praise because it was a lot of people's first experiences with a Bioware RPG and it also let everyone play out their childhood Star Wars fantasy. Bioware played it pretty by the book too so there's nothing too jaw dropping or exceptionally stupid, it's actually fairly well rounded I think. I think Mission can get of annoying but that's about it.

HK still remains one of the coolest characters in an RPG so I'd recommend playing it just for him and take him everywhere. He's a gag character in Kotor1 but a completely new beast in Kotor2. He's great.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 13, 2015

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
What exactly was added to Devil Survivor Overclocked? I haven't played the game since the original's release, and I might pick it up since it's on sale.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Heavy neutrino posted:

What exactly was added to Devil Survivor Overclocked? I haven't played the game since the original's release, and I might pick it up since it's on sale.

The Compedium, an 8th day for some routes, new skills, some new demons, and what's essentially an achievement system that gives you points to buy rewards on NG+ like discounts to the compedium and removing the EXP penalty for fighting demons under your level.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

bloodychill posted:

It's a dumb name.
Calm down bro, It's A Wonderful Life.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Well someone asked what my thoughts would be on Xenoblade ten hours later and here it is.

First off, is Xord(?) some sort of Matador for the game? I realize that you don't have to fully kill him but all things considered he was still very difficult. It took me multiple tries before I managed to defeat him. Anyway I am still enjoying the game. The story is fantastic. It's grounded enough to feel familiar, yet very unique. Sure on paper the main story and cast may seem typical of a JRPG, but the way it is presented makes it a breath of fresh air. The game is a lot more serious than most JRPGs and it has the writing and voice acting to back it up. The game is paced very well as I often find myself saying "just one more quest/checkpoint". I always want to see what's going to happen next.

The combat in the game is...well I have mixed feelings toward it. It perfectly suits most of the game, as you are often running around huge areas. It feels much more intuitive and streamlined than turn based battles. The problem with it is that it is difficult to understand what is going on at times. This isn't a MMO, it is a single player game, and I'd like to know if a character was going to heal, do an all out strong attack, or what. This goes quadruple for boss battles. What made Xord so difficult was that I couldn't see what my people were doing all the time. To be fair the game tries to address this with minor formation commands and warnings for future sight. However, I wish I could be a bit more specific with my party members. I feel that if I could assign someone to focus primarily on healing attacks, that alone would make the game far more easier and less stressful. That said, once you actually play the game for some hours the battle system becomes a little more familiar. However you still don't feel like you know exactly what is going at all times like say in Trails in the Sky.

What also blows me away is the level design of the game. The maps are HUGE for a JRPG. It's as if you are playing an MMO at some points. Again, it is odd that after so many failed promises of self-claimed "next gen JRPGs" of the previous generation, the only game that truly delivered the experience was a Wii game. It seems like you would have to spend hours before you could uncover the whole map.I will admit I am not the biggest sidequest junky, and the side quests don't feel as if they are part of the story as they do in say Trails in the Sky or Shin Megami Tensei IV, but they do their job well enough. I guess it's a good way to kill time if you are every underleveled, which would make sense as this seems to be one of those games that expects you to do side quests before moving on to the main story.

Finally are the graphics. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Touch up the face a little bit, and fix a few ugly textures here and there, and you could tell me that the game is a port of an earlish PS3 game and I'd completely believe you. The graphics are unreal. The thing it is just not the textures, or the amount of grass blades, but the scale as well. Whether it was the giant spinning blade thing in Colony 6's tunnels or the giant land deformations with the valley on the Bionis Leg, it is just surreal. How Monolith managed to do these things on the Wii and New 3DS is a mystery.

Overall, I will admit the game has lost some of the enjoyment I initially had with it. But only very little as I got burnt out from Xord. The game is likely going to chart in my personal top 5 RPGs list.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Take the time to go do the first tier of the Colony 6 collection sidequest before progressing further. Getting all four buildings to level 1 gets you a portable reactor. Take that to the Gem Furnace guy at Colony 9 and he'll give you a portable Gem Furnace.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My only advice to you, now that you've got 4 party members, is to bench Sharla and to never, ever put her back on your team. For healing, link the skills that heal you after performing a Chain Attack. The healing you get from that and from Shulk's minor healing spell should be enough for the vast majority of battles.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

U-DO Burger posted:

My only advice to you, now that you've got 4 party members, is to bench Sharla and to never, ever put her back on your team.

my advice is to ignore this huge retard because sharla owns

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

hubris.height posted:

Sharla actively makes fights more difficult + less fun and she is also garbage + bad

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

In case you haven't already, start paying attention to the battlecries. They're pretty important to gauging the flow of the battle. Around the Mines is where the combat clicked for me and I started really enjoying it, which was made even better by the fact that I could finally dump Sharla's useless rear end behind and use an actually good team. Xord IS a really tough boss, especially if you haven't really gotten the hang of things.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Sharla sucks rear end. She stops all momentum in team attacks and her heal is really inefficient.

You dont need healing if you blow everything up anyway.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

hubris.height posted:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They don't even have any sort of healer class in Xenoblade X which should probably tell you something about how good/fun Sharla is to have in your team.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i used reyn sharla and shulk for literally 80% of the game, until reyn becomes worthless and i replaced him with dunban

i never noticed a momentum slowdown and most stuff was dying way too fast to have anything negative to say. maybe i was overleveled but sharla worked great in my parties

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
its reyn time

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sharla's damage sucks, her arts are mostly blue, which means getting decent skill chains during chain attacks is practically impossible, her Talent Art is "do nothing for a few seconds" and can't be used during chain attacks to reset your chain color, and you can heal just fine using other methods. She just has no synergy at all with the rest of the group. Swap her out and battles get faster and more enjoyable.

hubris.height posted:

i used reyn sharla and shulk for literally 80% of the game, until reyn becomes worthless and i replaced him with dunban

i never noticed a momentum slowdown and most stuff was dying way too fast to have anything negative to say. maybe i was overleveled but sharla worked great in my parties

uhh yeah if you never played without Sharla then I can see why you don't realize why she sucks compared to the other party members. Also Reyn never becomes worthless because he's the only party member who can lower an enemy's agility.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

xenoblade is not a game where that matters very much. play with the party members you like and enjoy the game however you want

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 13, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dryzen posted:

xenoblade is not a game where that matters very much. play with the party members you like and enjoy the game however you want

To be fair, I myself didn't realize that having a dedicated healer really wasn't necessary until I read about it online, and I enjoyed the game a lot more without Sharla in the party. Everybody can do what they want, but it's fair to give people a heads up because they might not realize at first that it's perfectly viable to get all your healing through hitting things really hard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
xenoblade is boring and piss easy regardless of your party so just use whichever guys have the least annoying voice clips

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Man, what a bunch of jokers

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS

One of my favorite parts of the game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Im_Special posted:

Look at that boxart, I'm going to play this. Conundrum, there are apparently two translations of Mystic Ark, and both practically came out at the same time. The Aeon Genesis translation and the Dynamic-Designs translation.

Which one is better? Judging by pictures alone, I like the font better in Dynamic-Designs patch, but a quick Google kinda shows that people prefer Aeon Genesis version more because it uses better "proper english", like less slang expressions, and characters have better "personalities" in that one.

Oh and have another piece of official art.

Trip report. Played about an hour of each, and the Aeon Genesis translation is pretty drat bad, going to have to recommend the Dynamic-Designs one instead, though this one does have its share of problems as well, like a terrible intro and "before you start visit out site at www blahblah com" (my immersion :barf: ) it also suffers from some spacing issues like instead of

"Remeer found Empty Bottle!"

it goes

"Remeer found
Empty Bottle!"

If your curious I made some comparison pics of each for the first 15 minutes or so of the game. Aeon Genesis (thin font) vs. Dynamic-Designs (bold font).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just looks like someone took some heavy editing liberties in the second patch to make everyone sound natural. I dunno if that makes it any better, usually that's a holy war of disagreements. They just straight up rewrote the flame imp dialog it seems.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Yeah definite with the heavy editing liberties, but it just sounds better to me then the most literal of translations that Aeon Genesis probably were going for, later in the game I had no idea what to even do until I switched to the DD translation and an NPC told me where to go next.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Localization >>>> direct translation.

Whenever I think of a "faithful translation" I instantly think of 8-bit games where NPCs are often direct and nonsensical. You compare a well localized game like Dragon Warrior to a poorly localized game like Castlevania 2 or Metal Gear on the NES and it's night and day.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

al-azad posted:

Localization >>>> direct translation.

Whenever I think of a "faithful translation" I instantly think of 8-bit games where NPCs are often direct and nonsensical. You compare a well localized game like Dragon Warrior to a poorly localized game like Castlevania 2 or Metal Gear on the NES and it's night and day.
Castlevania 2 wasn't helped by the fact that most of the NPCs were lying to you.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
The only character who is terrible in Xenoblade is Melia when controlled by the AI. The solution is to manually control Melia at all times and watch as enemies take a massive stream of damage over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Just looking at those screenshots, the Aeon Genesis one seems way better to me. The Dynamic-Designs one seems to only be interested in imparting the information contained in the text the text in full, proper English sentences whereas the Aeon Genesis one was actually treating it as dialogue spoken by characters.