Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

enraged_camel posted:

That last sentence is the key. Yes, California has always had ups and downs, but those ups and downs have been getting more and more extreme in relation to population levels.

I actually wrote a long rear end paper recently for class and came to the conclusion that ENSO variations and frequency won't do jack poo poo to offset a global rise in temperatures. Basically, I matched tree rings with various sediment cores from around the state against cores from areas that are extremely correlated with El Nino (these sites were outside of CA). I also borrowed some ENSO models from some other dudes since I have no capability to make that. Even though El Nino dries out a lot of the world and brings more rain to CA, the increase in temperature is more likely to cause more violent but shorter storms instead of frequent, less violent events (according to the projections I used). Pretty much most of the precipitation will be wasted as runoff even if more is received over time. I went back several thousand years and CA climate variations sucked poo poo back then too.

I was just disputing the "new" part of it because it doesn't seem to be common knowledge that California is actually regularly experiencing insane storms or droughts - which is why we need to work so drat much to counteract the potential effects (everything from LA's flood control network to the aqueduct/reservoir systems). California is generally more dry than wet, too. I think we are all in agreement though. SA doesn't seem to have many (any?) climate skeptics.

Sydin posted:

It's very possible we're just entering the next dry period of California's long climate cycle. Hell, California has been - on average - wetter than usual since the 17th century.

Oh that's a neat graphic. I basically came to a similar, but less specific, conclusion.

e: I am no expert, just a dude studying and learning

vvvv that's fair

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
I'm aware of the historical variability in California's climate, I was mostly commenting on the global trend of increasing average temperatures which going forward is going to limit snowpack creation in California. As has been pointed out, California getting more moisture doesn't mean much if it's not in a form which we're prepared to utilize and I suspect our handy snowpack is going to become a think of the past, moisture or no moisture.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

old dog child posted:

New? California has a long and storied history of severe drought and severe storm events long before anyone started recording this poo poo.

A good book on the climate of California is The West Without Water by Ingram and Malamud-Roam. It's a fairly new book but I like it because it has quite a bit of information relevant to climate change specific to California. The region has pretty much always had water problems. But yeah water conservation is definitely crucial due to ever-increasing population demands.

e: I love the username/post combo

I read and liked A Great Aridness, which is about how climate change will affect water distribution and usage in the Southwest. I thought it was pretty good - does anyone who knows more about water management have a review?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The good news is that parts of Northern California may get up to a foot of rain this weekend. The bad news is that it's supposed to stay warm enough that the snow levels will be 8,000 to 10,000 feet, resulting in no change to snowpack levels.

Thankfully we've got plenty of room in the reservoirs to catch whatever runoff we can get. At the very least some of the bigger reservoirs are higher than they were last year at this time (and last year we didn't get much beyond the couple inches in late Februrary). We still won't get out of the drought but we're still better off than last year I think if this storm comes through.

Sydin posted:

It's very possible we're just entering the next dry period of California's long climate cycle. Hell, California has been - on average - wetter than usual since the 17th century.

I assume at some point we'll have to actually sort out the mess that is water rights and allocations, since at the very least the estimates for the Colorado river that the allocations were based on were actually higher than reality, and if we get a dry period it'll rapidly drain the reservoirs there (.. which have been dropping steadily for decades anyways). I'm pretty sure the same is true for the Central Valley Project (now that we aren't allowed to outright kill the Trinity River).

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Los Angeles wants a footbal team so bad. So bad.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-inglewood-stadium-20150209-story.html

This article is running on the front page today.

Gotta love the LAT essentially reprinting a developer press release including referring to the law as "red tape" and detailing the various loopholes that can be used to get around the democratic process.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeitgueist posted:

Gotta love the LAT essentially reprinting a developer press release including referring to the law as "red tape" and detailing the various loopholes that can be used to get around the democratic process.

Anything to attract champion tier teams like Raiders or Rams again.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

etalian posted:

Won in the Rose Bowl no less.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

etalian posted:

It's not like we're trying to get the Browns.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Forceholy posted:

It's not like we're trying to get the Browns.

I was hoping the Santa Clara 49ers would relocate to LA.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

etalian posted:

I was hoping the Santa Clara 49ers would relocate to LA.

What would they rename themselves then, the Los Angeles Superstars?

...that actually doesn't sound too bad.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Zeitgueist posted:

It this case the city of Inglewood (almost entirely black and latino) would be saddled with it, it seems to be a thing now to find smallish cities in metro areas to build stadiums in. The article doesn't give any specifics about what the costs will be either.

This is what the 5 or 6th attempt to attract another football team to the LA metro area?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ardennes posted:

It this case the city of Inglewood (almost entirely black and latino) would be saddled with it, it seems to be a thing now to find smallish cities in metro areas to build stadiums in. The article doesn't give any specifics about what the costs will be either.

This is what the 5 or 6th attempt to attract another football team to the LA metro area?

What really makes it crazy is that the NFL just did this last loving season only to pull the ball away just as Los Angeles was about to kick it. They made it really clear that they don't actually have an interest in moving a team to Los Angeles, but all the city institutions seem all lined up ready to desperately fellate them until we get a team.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

What would they rename themselves then, the Los Angeles Superstars?

...that actually doesn't sound too bad.

Based on the naming pattern, the Los Angeles Oilers.

This would probably piss off everyone in the gridiron-watching world and southern California for a variety of reasons.

... I think I'm a Los Angeles Oilers fan now. poo poo.

Also I'm not surprised that a Tribune paper would print that and call it journalism, although I am a little that the Daily News didn't beat 'em to it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

all the city institutions seem all lined up ready to desperately fellate them until we get a team.
I dont get it. Why? The NFL is a handout grabbing tax leech.

What good does it do for the city?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

Not sure an NFL franchise can fill the mighty shoes left by Chivas USA.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FRINGE posted:

What good does it do for the city?
Because Tony 'The Paper Tiger' V really really wanted to be remembered as the Mayor that brought back Foooooootbawwwlllllll to LA County. It dovetailed nicely with his need to super gentrify downtown.

So instead, now it looks like Hawthorne/Inglewood will try to host it. Might be a boon to homeowners down there. If traffic doesn't suck donkey dicks.

Also there's this idea that a major metropolitan locale needs an NFL team to be a Big City or something.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Ardennes posted:

You called, doing it in Inglewood differs from the other 2 plans that were being worked on because instead of getting it through the much more difficult(and also corrupt, sure) LA city, they can railroad it through a tiny incorporated city desperate for daddy capitalism's love. And yeah, it's going to gentrify the gently caress out of that area, it's part of a much larger development including malls, office and apartments.

Having said that, it's probably also the best option if they're going to build a stadium in LA, and it's also probably going to happen for any number of reasons: 1) Huge development already happening either way 2) No direct public money involved 3) Transit works, it's near trains, LAX, big roads 4) The Rams owner is the kind of guy who can do big developments, real estate is his thing 5) Colliseum nearby, good temp location for a team while the stadium is built.

There's an ungodly amount of money LA, anybody who puts a team here is going to print money. You could build an entire stadium of luxury boxes and still sell the thing out for decades.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

FilthyImp posted:

Also there's this idea that a major metropolitan locale needs an NFL team to be a Big City or something.
LA (greater area) is like the 5th biggest US State by population all by itself. They need to just get over sportsball inferiority and spend money on something better.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Iirc, ticket sales are shared with the league and luxury box sales are kept by the team. Thus the new stadiums like in Santa Clara that are half boxes.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

http://www.latimes.com/local/political/la-me-pc-newsom-governor-20150210-story.html

Newsom's in a hurry, it seems. Trying to lock down donors before anyone else can?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I want the City of Industry stadium so I don't have to drive that far. :mad:

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost
If the new stadium caters to the same type of people as the new 49ers stadium the train access will be useless. If people aren't driving two hours to go watch games in San Diego I can't imagine they'll do it on the hellscape that will be the 405 on game day.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
As expected, 2014 was a year in which old white people were the biggest voting bloc by far.

quote:

“Not only was the average voter older than the average Californian,” says political data expert Paul Mitchell. “The average voter was older than the average Californian’s parents.”

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Boot and Rally posted:

If the new stadium caters to the same type of people as the new 49ers stadium the train access will be useless. If people aren't driving two hours to go watch games in San Diego I can't imagine they'll do it on the hellscape that will be the 405 on game day.

Sundays are actually relatively okay across LA. It's not like trying to make a 7pm Dodger game on a Thursday.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Bip Roberts posted:

Sundays are actually relatively okay across LA. It's not like trying to make a 7pm Dodger game on a Thursday.

I'm going off my experiences trying to get to the Rosebowl or the Collesium when they are near capacity. I also have no faith in the inhabitants of LA when it comes to driving.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Boot and Rally posted:

I'm going off my experiences trying to get to the Rosebowl or the Collesium when they are near capacity. I also have no faith in the inhabitants of LA when it comes to driving.

You would think with all their practice, they would actually get better over time.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

quote:

“Not only was the average voter older than the average Californian,” says political data expert Paul Mitchell. “The average voter was older than the average Californian’s parents.”

Jesus loving christ. Just, gently caress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

etalian posted:

You would think with all their practice, they would actually get better over time.

"Practice makes perfect" is wrong, the correct saying is (should be) "perfect practice makes perfect."

In other words, LA drivers have enormous amounts of practice driving really badly, so now they're really really "good" at driving terribly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leperflesh posted:

In other words, LA drivers have enormous amounts of practice driving really badly, so now they're really really "good" at driving terribly.
I've noticed a lot of this is people being complete loving idiots in situations that don't allow for much wiggle room.

Google's autonomous cars can't get here quickly enough.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

"Practice makes perfect" is wrong, the correct saying is (should be) "perfect practice makes perfect."

Better than Bay Area drivers. At least LA drivers know how to dive properly without a preceding 10-15 seconds of indecision. They also seem to understand that turn signals are actually useful, and use them. The ratio of people using their turn signals vs those who don't has plummeted from 75/25 to 5/95 when I moved up here.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think it's part people not knowing how to handle stress and anxiety in general, and cars become extensions of their frustrations. "The solution to me being late because I argued with my wife on the way out is to grab this spot in the next lane because I'm owed it by the universe."

Google can have all my personal data if they drive me to work and back every day.

edit: Driving in Los Angeles, though, is its own drat ecosystem. Traffic in the Bay Area is poo poo, mind you, but of an entirely different class than the 405.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 12, 2015

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Sydin posted:

Better than Bay Area drivers. The ratio of people using their turn signals vs those who don't has plummeted from 75/25 to 5/95 when I moved up here.
I had to stop using my turn signal to change lanes in San Francisco while driving a big work van. Every signal is an invitation to close up the gap I'm trying to get into. gently caress that poo poo. Now I just squeeze in wherever I can fit. If you try being a courteous driver there, you arn't going to move. It is a tragedy of commons

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

CopperHound posted:

I had to stop using my turn signal to change lanes in San Francisco while driving a big work van. Every signal is an invitation to close up the gap I'm trying to get into. gently caress that poo poo. Now I just squeeze in wherever I can fit. If you try being a courteous driver there, you arn't going to move. It is a tragedy of commons

That's never really happened to me in LA.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

drilldo squirt posted:

That's never really happened to me in LA.

The grid system in LA and SF is really different, SF streets far more narrow and there are far fewer left turn lanes.

Driving in SF is simply more stressful and difficult than LA although LA isn't a picnic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Bay Area is also full of great big babies.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ardennes posted:

The grid system in LA and SF is really different, SF streets far more narrow and there are far fewer left turn lanes.

Driving in SF is simply more stressful and difficult than LA although LA isn't a picnic.

The hills in SF also give it more scary blind spots.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
As someone who drives from the 110 to the 405 on surface streets every day in LA, I would like a car horn that shouts "STOP TEXTING"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ardennes posted:

Bay area freeways are also designed like poo poo, and it exacerbates traffic something fierce. Off the top of my head:
1. Carpool lanes aren't double yellowed, so people are constantly diving in and out which fucks with traffic flow.
2. Carpool lanes are omnipresent, even during stretches where the freeway goes down to 2-3 lanes. The 85 to 87 north merger is a nightmare during rush hour because it goes from four lanes + carpool to 2 lanes + carpool in the span of 1/4 a mile, and stays that way for a few miles before more lanes open up. :suicide:
3. Instead of opening up new lanes for exits, lanes just end, and restart at the next entrance. So traffic is constantly bouncing back and forth between +/- 1 lane whenever an exit or entrance hits.
4. On a similar note, almost every entrance either quickly merges into the lane left of it, or dumps you right into an exit only lane you have to quickly weave out of or you'll get carted right back off the freeway. My favorite is the entrance to 87 South off Charchot, where as soon as you get on you're immediately in an exit only lane and the exit is only a couple of hundred feet ahead. So you have to find space to merge left in ~3-5 seconds, or you're forced off. This is good freeway design! :downs:
5. This is petty, but construction is slow as hell up here. They managed to complete a lane extension of the 405 in a weekend or whatever, meanwhile the 280/880 merger has been under construction and forced down to one lane for... what, two years now?

Basically gently caress the Bay Area freeway design.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Bay area freeways are also designed like poo poo, and it exacerbates traffic something fierce. Off the top of my head:
4. On a similar note, almost every entrance either quickly merges into the lane left of it, or dumps you right into an exit only lane you have to quickly weave out of or you'll get carted right back off the freeway. My favorite is the entrance to 87 South off Charchot, where as soon as you get on you're immediately in an exit only lane and the exit is only a couple of hundred feet ahead. So you have to find space to merge left in ~3-5 seconds, or you're forced off. This is good freeway design! :downs:

92 Junction is another annoying spot because it has the classic dumping piles of traffic into one spot, then having the exit a few hundred feet later.

So you have people trying to merge out in addition to piles of people merging right to get on 92 east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

Also 880 is far and away #1 worse highway in California.

Edit: Yes, worse than 101 in Sherman Oaks, and 405 south of Sepulveda pass.