Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

What were all those burnt sacrifices for then?

Yes, they interpreted some things literally. At least until the temple fell at which point they said "uh yeah that was just about the temple so we can ignore it now."

But then again, the entire Talmudic tradition, the tradition of rabbis (and priests) as textual interpreters which is completely contrary to any idea of literalism, etc etc etc.

Literalism is a modern invention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Well, they probably *thought* of it back in the day, they just didn't think anyone was dumb enough to take it seriously

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Rush has advice on how Walker should deal with the college question.

I feel like we moved past this a little too quickly. Because :stare:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

thrawn527 posted:

It's amazing at how conservatives really cannot stop themselves from talking about Rape all the time.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

V. Illych L. posted:

Well, they probably *thought* of it back in the day, they just didn't think anyone was dumb enough to take it seriously

St. Augustine did! In fact, he explicitly said that anyone dumb enough to take it seriously was an idiot. (Well, in ancient Latin prose at least.)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Beamed posted:

St. Augustine did! In fact, he explicitly said that anyone dumb enough to take it seriously was an idiot. (Well, in ancient Latin prose at least.)

This is true. From De Genisi ad litteram:

quote:

Often, a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances, … and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, which people see as ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.

The shame is not so much that an ignorant person is laughed at, but rather that people outside the faith believe that we hold such opinions, and thus our teachings are rejected as ignorant and unlearned. If they find a Christian mistaken in a subject that they know well and hear him maintaining his foolish opinions as based on our teachings, how are they going to believe these teachings in matters concerning the resurrection of the dead, the hope of eternal life, and the kingdom of heaven, when they think these teachings are filled with fallacies about facts which they have learnt from experience and reason.

Reckless and presumptuous expounders of Scripture bring about much harm when they are caught in their mischievous false opinions by those not bound by our sacred texts. And even more so when they then try to defend their rash and obviously untrue statements by quoting a shower of words from Scripture and even recite from memory passages which they think will support their case ‘without understanding either what they are saying or what they assert with such assurance.’ (1 Timothy 1:7)

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Religion abandoning stuff science explains is an incredibly recent thing and it has fought it every step of the way.

Kalman posted:

No, they really weren't. Literalism is a recent development.

Maybe the shift back but the origins of religion are pretty much always founded in explaining the world around them.

tsa fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 13, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tsa posted:

Religion abandoning stuff science explains is an incredibly recent thing and it has fought it every step of the way.

Maybe the shift back but the origins of religion are pretty much always founded in explaining the world around them.

no you are actually wrong about this, at least for the major trends in Christianity and Islam the attitude has always* been that science is basically another way of examining god's work

Actual religious obscurantism is surprisingly modern. If you want to criticise the old churches, saying that they have had a nasty tendency to support lovely power structures is a much better and more legitimate way of going about it. Even the whole Galileo débacle wasn't so much about obscurantism as Galileo being a huge prick that nobody liked.

*by "always" I mean "since they developed any sort of unitary belief structure and evolved from weird esoteric sects into actual organised religions"

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

V. Illych L. posted:

no you are actually wrong about this, at least for the major trends in Christianity and Islam the attitude has always* been that science is basically another way of examining god's work

Actual religious obscurantism is surprisingly modern. If you want to criticise the old churches, saying that they have had a nasty tendency to support lovely power structures is a much better and more legitimate way of going about it. Even the whole Galileo débacle wasn't so much about obscurantism as Galileo being a huge prick that nobody liked.

*by "always" I mean "since they developed any sort of unitary belief structure and evolved from weird esoteric sects into actual organised religions"

Right that's what I said. Modern religions move away from it but it's still there in forms. Hence why scientists haven't had the best relationship with churches even after Tommy boy said his thing.

I mean even read the passage linked, it's all about keeping the church relevant as science moved forward.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh ok i misunderstood then, sorry

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
No problem, I should have specified what "recent' meant.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't it be funny if that somehow filtered out into the public consciousness as "Scott Walker dropped out to avoid a rape charge."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Shapiro, one of the most punchable face of GOP media took on Walker

quote:

MEDIA GO COLLECTIVELY INSANE OVER GOP POSITIONS ON EVOLUTION

On Thursday, the media went collectively insane over Governor Scott Walker’s failure to answer a question about his beliefs on the theory of evolution. A questioner asked Walker earlier this week in London, “Are you comfortable with the idea of evolution? Do you believe in it?” Walker said he would “punt” on the issue, adding, “That’s a question politicians shouldn’t be involved in one way or another. I am going to leave that up to you. I’m here to talk about trade, not to pontificate about evolution.”

This led to blaring headlines throughout the media. Huffington Post said Walker “dodged” the question. The Daily Beast accused Walker of being “bland,” “stupid,” and “moronic.” Talking Points Memo reported that Walker would “rather talk about cheese than foreign policy or evolution.” Bloomberg ran a thorough piece about all the 2016 GOP candidates’ positions on evolution, headlined “Punt, Fumble, or Touchdown? These GOP Candidates Won’t Endorse Evolution.”

Welcome to the 2016 presidential cycle. While ISIS burns Jordanian pilots and beheads American journalists, while the economy teeters on the brink, while Obamacare rolls out, while racial divisions plague America, the media have focused, laserlike, on the issue that matters most: opinions on Charles Darwin.

Just as in 2012, when opinions about condoms trumped opinions about the national debt, so in 2016, Democrat-supporting media will attempt to paint Republicans as religious rubes still fighting the trumped-up Scopes Monkey Trial. Americans will be informed that Scott Walker’s position on the Cambrian explosion matters more than Hillary Clinton’s celebration of more than a million abortions per year in the United States, including 11,000 late-term abortions. Scott Walker and company will be lectured on geology, but nobody will ask Hillary Clinton to take a look at an ultrasound.

Now, every Republican candidate would be well served to explain his personal belief in microevolution – not because the question matters deeply to policy, (It doesn’t.) but because he will be asked the question, and the answer is obvious. There are still significant debates regarding macroevolution in the scientific community – the notion of how species evolve into different species – given that Darwinian evolution suggests graduated equilibrium (constant and gradual evolution over time), rather than punctuated equilibrium (explosions of evolution in short periods of time), and graduated equilibrium does not match the fossil record. Nonetheless, Republicans should not be afraid of stating their personal positions on the science of evolution or the age of the universe as a general matter.

However, there is little doubt that the media are now playing a “gotcha” game, in which Republicans are asked questions that have no bearing on public policy to drive wedges into the conservative base, while Democrats are allowed to ignore serious scientific questions that have real public policy consequences. For example, in 2008, Jim Vandehei of Politico asked Republican candidates if they believed in evolution. That question has no impact on public policy. None. You can believe in evolution and still believe that local communities have a right to decide educational standards; you can believe in fundamentalist creationism and believe that the Department of Education should set broad national policy. But that’s not the point. The point is that Republicans and their supporters are dolts.

At no time during the 2008 Democratic presidential debates were Democrats asked if partial birth abortion extinguishes a human life. Hillary Clinton was asked when she believed life begins and was allowed to get away with this vague line: “I believe that the potential for life begins at conception.” But she wasn’t asked about her position on late-term abortion. When Pastor Rick Warren asked then-Senator Obama in 2008 at what point a baby receives “human rights,” Obama “punted” by stating, “Whether you’re looking at it from a theological perspective or a scientific perspective, answering that question with specificity … is above my pay grade.” There was precisely zero articles in the mainstream media ripping Obama as anti-science.

In 2012, Mitt Romney was asked repeatedly about his beliefs in the science of global warming. Nobody asked Obama about his scientific position on human rights vis-à-vis late-term abortion. The same will be true in 2016.

Republican candidates should be ready for this gambit. And they should be ready to fire back. Scott Walker tweeted today, “Both science & my faith dictate my belief that we are created by God. I believe faith & science are compatible, & go hand in hand.” That’s fine, so far as it goes, but Walker and all Republicans should be prepared to do better. The next time Scott Walker is asked about evolution, he should answer that punctuated equilibrium is supported by the scientific record, then ask whether Hillary Clinton believes in the science of ultrasounds – and if so, why she would have been willing to allow Chelsea to abort her grandchild at nine months. The next time Hillary Clinton gives an answer about her support for science with regards to global warming, someone should ask her why she wanted to waste taxpayer dollars to investigate junk science about vaccines and autism.

The left seeks to seize the moral high ground regarding science versus religion – and the media hope to help them along. Republicans should fight back with both science and morality.

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 13, 2015

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Yes, I'm sure that Hillary Clinton, the most prominent woman in American politics, will be completely stumped if you ask her about abortion.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lmao instead of being mad that Scott Walker was too stupid to elegantly side-step a question he didn't want to answer he's mad that everyone else isn't just as stupid.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Saw that this thread blew up, assumed it was about some uninteresting and unrelated argument, was not disappointed.

Has anyone even mentioned how Jeb Bush, running on what seems to be a "tech and the future" platform, doxxed a bunch of people this week?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

Has anyone even mentioned how Jeb Bush, running on what seems to be a "tech and the future" platform, doxxed a bunch of people this week?

And his CTO was forced to resign over racist Facebook posts. :bravo:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Joementum posted:

The GOP front runners are off to a great start. I'm excited. Gonna be a good campaign season.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Joementum posted:

Wait, he had racist ones too? I only saw the ones where he was talking about sluts.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wait, he had racist ones too? I only saw the ones where he was talking about sluts.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/10/ethan-czahor-jeb-bush-mlk-jr_n_6655220.html

quote:

The new chief technology officer of former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush's recently formed political action committee, who made headlines this week for previously making inflammatory remarks on Twitter, once praised Martin Luther King Jr. for not speaking in "‘jibberish’ or ‘slang’" as well as for not wearing "pants sagged to his ankles."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Heh. I conflated his Facebook posts and Tweets with those of Aaron Schock's staffer who also had to resign this week.

Though it turns out that the Bush guy also published some stuff in college about how black people needed to "pull up their baggy pants", etc.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Isn't it common knowledge applying to ANY kind of job these days that any idiotic or offensive stuff you might post on Facebook or elsewhere online is likely to be seen and likely to be a liability against your application?

Wouldn't that apply times a thousand for any job in politics, either as a candidate or someone important to a campaign?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

Heh. I conflated his Facebook posts and Tweets with those of Aaron Schock's staffer who also had to resign this week.

Though it turns out that the Bush guy also published some stuff in college about how black people needed to "pull up their baggy pants", etc.

haha were none of these people screened before they got hired

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zwabu posted:

Isn't it common knowledge applying to ANY kind of job these days that any idiotic or offensive stuff you might post on Facebook or elsewhere online is likely to be seen and likely to be a liability against your application?

Wouldn't that apply times a thousand for any job in politics, either as a candidate or someone important to a campaign?

I don't know about it being common knowledge, but you'd think the Chief Technology Officer would be aware of that sort of thing.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

DaveWoo posted:

I don't know about it being common knowledge, but you'd think the Chief Technology Officer would be aware of that sort of thing.

That's what got me on the thing. Ostensibly he was hired for his knowledge of social media, so the fact that your social media history sticks with you seems like a thing he should have been aware of.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DaveWoo posted:

Karnegal posted:

That's what got me on the thing. Ostensibly he was hired for his knowledge of social media, so the fact that your social media history sticks with you seems like a thing he should have been aware of.

The mistake you're making is in assuming he saw a problem with those tweets.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Joementum posted:

The mistake you're making is in assuming he saw a problem with those tweets.

Oh I assume he's probably a bit of a sexist, racist, and/or homophobe, but I just spent a long series of FB posts arguing with people who wanted to paint him as a repentant victim of the bad opinions of his younger self. Though, to my knowledge, he hasn't show any remorse for the content of his posts just the trouble they got him in.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmao instead of being mad that Scott Walker was too stupid to elegantly side-step a question he didn't want to answer he's mad that everyone else isn't just as stupid.

I'm more amazed at "the LEFTIST MEDIA did their dirty work and made everything in 2012 about abortions" transitioing to "we need to turn this around, and make it about ABORTIONS!"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

forbidden lesbian posted:

haha were none of these people screened before they got hired

we don't disapprove of what they did, we're only firing them because the liberal media is raising hell about it :saddowns:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah there's that whole group that are like "Evolution and poo poo is how God does his thing". They basically use God to fill the blank for poo poo science hasn't figured out so it's more of an agnostic point of view? I generally stay away from arguing about this but if that's what they want to believe then eh.

A small group known as the Roman Catholic Church, which is Walker's professed faith. So he's totally wrong.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Look, Catholicism is open to letting people making up their own minds. Nobody associates the Catholic Church with centralised authority of an elected leader.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Jesus Christ. How do you become that loving evil and petty?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Jesus Christ. How do you become that loving evil and petty?

Rush is a ratings whore. He doesn't care why people are paying attention to him.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
The mind-blowing part of the CTO thing was that the campaign was set on keeping him despite most likely knowing about all the awful poo poo in his past. The tweets and stuff started being scrubbed before anybody really knew about any of it. They only fired him because of the backlash over that stuff.

Presumably if someone had to tell him to start scrubbing it days before the backlash then it means it was something known within the campaign.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 13, 2015

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's hilarious that their new CTO thought that deleting the tweets would actually get rid of them and fix the problem.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I'm a little surprised this happened with one of Jeb's staffers. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from a scrub-tier campaign like Walker or Perry.

I guess the talent pool really is that shallow.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Please enjoy a tea party poll where you get to pick who you would vote for if the election were today. From the comments I get the impression Sarah Palin is the favorite.

http://washingtonisbroke.com/content/If-the-presidential-election-were-today-who-would-you-vote-for

Jeb Bush trying to be the tech-savy candidate has very high entertainment value.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

comes along bort posted:

I'm a little surprised this happened with one of Jeb's staffers. It's the kind of thing you'd expect from a scrub-tier campaign like Walker or Perry.

The talent pool is not that shallow. The pool of, "hey I got this friend who..." is a shallow pool of people of varying quality. This is the same thing that bit Romney in the rear end. You hire your friends, and then it turns out your friends are poo poo at the thing you hired them to do. Usually this can be noticed in a general kind of way like Hillary's campaign in '08. However, technical problems are different. Mistakes in other areas of the campaign are less demonstrable because there's usually not smoking gun technical things that you can easily notice. So on the technology side you get these kind of gaffes because it becomes clear when someone is bad at their job.

Putting your campaign on hold to sit in your office during the financial crisis pretending you can do something, that was a major gaffe. You can argue about whether not it was poorly handled or if the idea itself was bad. There is wiggle room. It's subjective. Similarly, rape children are "a gift from god," is a gaffe, but it's an ideological one. The optics on it are a nightmare, but you can understand how a very religious person could say something like that. There are people who agree with Mourdock's sentiment.

This technical problem with the e-mails, though, is not subjective. The Bush campaign tried to play it off like it was, but nobody bought it due to it being an easily provable mistake. There is literally no one who would say that it isn't a mistake. There's people who would say it doesn't matter, but that's an issue only of severity.

The other thing is that people generally are more likely to delegate more heavily the things they cannot do or cannot understand themselves. This means it's important they have people they trust to handle that stuff, and when it comes down to people who can generally be trusted that means people's friends. Bush and Romney have some campaign acumen. They can spot people who are bad at giving campaign advice faster than people who are giving bad technical advice. This means they get taken for a ride a lot on technical matters, and due to the nature of technical matters those mistakes are easily noticed. It's a perfect honeypot.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 13, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Please enjoy a tea party poll where you get to pick who you would vote for if the election were today. From the comments I get the impression Sarah Palin is the favorite.

http://washingtonisbroke.com/content/If-the-presidential-election-were-today-who-would-you-vote-for

Jeb Bush trying to be the tech-savy candidate has very high entertainment value.

Everyone please vote for Herman Cain in this so we can start a groundswell that gets the Cain Train back out of storage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

comes along bort posted:

All of the stuff is what you'd expect a college Republican to think is OK to write. In the past, they'd pen an op-ed for the college paper that would go through a sanity check from an editor who'd tell them to tone it down a bit. Now they just blast it out on social media. We're going to see a lot more of this as kids who were in college during the explosion of social media start getting high-level campaign jobs.

• Locked thread