Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If Darwin adapts perfectly to any environment he's in, why was he a black guy in 1960's America?

:pusheen:

(Holy poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Also a dolphin on Seaquest! They were usually way too deep underwater to need a dolphin for anything and it left him only able to talk to Jonathan Brandeis' character. Ewwww.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Under the vegetable posted:

I didn't realize I was that bad, haha. For what it's worth I also post about how seriously I take enjoying metal gear solid, and also pro wrestling. I just get worked up when people do the ol', "actually you're the real racist for perceiving racism" deal.

I haven't even seen the movie. I'm that bad. Trying to shut someone down and accuse them of racism for noticing something, even if they're wrong, just doesn't seem nice!

You wanna know the real racist poo poo?

Darwin (the dead guy)'s mutant power is Survival. He survives ANYTHING.

And he's still killed first. By some piddly ball of explosive force.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's mentioned in the books, but in season 1 Game of Thrones, why the gently caress does Ned Stark bring his second daughter along with him to Kings Landing? Sansa makes sense, she's going to marry the prince. But Arya? The girl who never listens and is always causing problems, the gently caress do you bring her to a city where she will have no handlers?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe it's mentioned in the books, but in season 1 Game of Thrones, why the gently caress does Ned Stark bring his second daughter along with him to Kings Landing? Sansa makes sense, she's going to marry the prince. But Arya? The girl who never listens and is always causing problems, the gently caress do you bring her to a city where she will have no handlers?
It's been a while, but if I remember right it's not so much choosing to take Arya but that he takes along all the ones he could take. Robb needs to stay behind and learn to be a lord, Jon wouldn't be welcome and so gets shunted off, and Catelyn asks to keep Bran and Rickon with her. He would've taken them all if he could.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Revenant Threshold posted:

It's been a while, but if I remember right it's not so much choosing to take Arya but that he takes along all the ones he could take. Robb needs to stay behind and learn to be a lord, Jon wouldn't be welcome and so gets shunted off, and Catelyn asks to keep Bran and Rickon with her. He would've taken them all if he could.

Not quite. Ned orders Cat to stay because Robb isn't of age and he wants an adult giving the orders, and because of Bran. He also elects to leave Rickon because Rickon is too young to travel. Arya gets taken so she can learn proper courtly ways, also because Ned expects to be in King's Landing for some years and wants her available to marry into another noble family in the south.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Revenant Threshold posted:

Bran is bedridden at the time I thought, and in the books Rickon is significantly younger.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
At first the plan was to take Bran south too because he's likable and friendly and would cheer things up and be a useful friend to the princes. Robb was staying to 'rule' and Rickon was staying because he's literally a baby.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

CJacobs posted:

For the record that isn't even what I was implying with the post, I was saying that the cliche itself of "the black guy dies first" does not have a racial undertone to it at all unless you give it one. It is a real cliche, but it's at least partly invented by the audience; but at the same time that does not magically make you be racist for doing so. I guess I phrased it poorly.

I don't know, man, it kind of seems like you are talking out of your rear end here. "Partially invented by the audience"? What does that even mean? Obviously the black guy doesn't die first in every movie (e.g. , The Thing), but it does seem to happen a disproportionate amount of times relative to the ratio of black people in major productions.

Also, can we talk about how disproportionately white most casts are in most tv and movies? At least in the USA, white people are a minority majority, but a US show is usually all white save one or two minorities, who are typically minor characters. I get that people naturally tend to group with their own ethnicities due to instinct, socio-economic factors, etc., but it just seems way over the top on tv, etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

1redflag posted:

I don't know, man, it kind of seems like you are talking out of your rear end here. "Partially invented by the audience"? What does that even mean? Obviously the black guy doesn't die first in every movie (e.g. , The Thing), but it does seem to happen a disproportionate amount of times relative to the ratio of black people in major productions.

Also, can we talk about how disproportionately white most casts are in most tv and movies? At least in the USA, white people are a minority majority, but a US show is usually all white save one or two minorities, who are typically minor characters. I get that people naturally tend to group with their own ethnicities due to instinct, socio-economic factors, etc., but it just seems way over the top on tv, etc.

Black people only make up 10-15% of the US population. So as long as you have 2 characters out of every 10 be black, you're good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

1redflag posted:

It's because that's not something you can quantify. It happens in just as many movies as it doesn't happen, and I guarantee you there is no movie out there where the first character's death was written with the fact that they are black in mind. It has become a cliche in the eyes of our culture because of people drawing connections where there aren't any. It's really just a matter of semantics, and I am an rear end in a top hat who can't just let things go.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 01:53 on Feb 13, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Black people only make up 10-15% of the US population. So as long as you have 2 characters out of every 10 be black, you're good.

Despite what you have learned from movies, tv, and your country club membership and staff, there are other ethnicities besides black and white.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Firstborn posted:

I don't like Kung-Fu for no reason. I was watching Banshee the other day, and the older Amish villain who never gets his hands dirty is shown practicing the most chopsocky of Kung-Fu strikes and blocks in his spare time. Maybe it's Chekov's Karate Chop and it'll come to play in some future episode, but I don't see why it couldn't have just been boxing a heavy bag or something instead of using an elaborate limbed tree to simulate attacking appendages and poo poo.

Was he using a Wooden Man dummy? One of these -

and being used like this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz5Ppw9gnpk

Because if so, he's not really practicing fighting. It's more of a meditation and arm-conditioning tool. You go through different sequences of strikes and blocks and speed up faster and faster as you get more proficient with it. But it just stands there and isn't considered to be a replacement for actual sparring and fighting.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe white people are just better actors.

I mean look at the Oscars. Almost all white winners.

Yep I think the math checks out on this one.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

1redflag posted:

Despite what you have learned from movies, tv, and your country club membership and staff, there are other ethnicities besides black and white.

I was actually raised in a castle where I was not allowed to see old age, sickness, death, or minorities.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

I was actually raised in a castle where I was not allowed to see old age, sickness, death, or minorities.

Me too! :hfive: I just like to throw the proletariat a bone every once in a while. Typically quells the uprisings.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

1redflag posted:

Despite what you're trying to imply, the post you were responding to did not dispute this in any way.

ubachung has a new favorite as of 02:22 on Feb 13, 2015

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

ubachung posted:

Despite what you might think, the post you were responding did not dispute this in any way.

Despite what you think, you may have also missed the point. For sake of clarity, I did not think the quoted poster was unaware of other ethnicities or that he was defending white-heavy casting.

Edit: ooooh, nice biting quip there. Do you have a newsletter to which I can subscribe and learn from a true master?

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Feb 13, 2015

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

1redflag posted:

Despite what you think, you may have also missed the point. For sake of clarity, I did not think the quoted poster was unaware of other ethnicities or that he was defending white-heavy casting.

Oh sorry I didn't realise you were attempting a joke, my bad. Maybe you can make it a bit more obvious for me next time by using some humour.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I can't recall the exact dialog, but in First Class the moment that drug me out of the movie the fastest was when Shaw was talking about how humans are all wrong and evil and will keep mutants as SLAVES and then immediately :stare: at Darwin.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I can't recall the exact dialog, but in First Class the moment that drug me out of the movie the fastest was when Shaw was talking about how humans are all wrong and evil and will keep mutants as SLAVES and then immediately :stare: at Darwin.

"Better to die on your feet then live on your knees" trope?

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
The "black guy dies first" trope is real enough to be a culturally known thing. It's annoying because it's a way for studios to include their minority characters and nominally make quota, but without having to give them any real character development or arc. Dying in a tragic way is stand-in for actual representation as a fully fleshed out character. Like with Darwin, he's in there for a bit, but then he dies (in a way that is directly contradictory to his powers) just to be "tragic" and make his white buddy sad.

I don't know, I notice now when women or minority characters only exist as props to die and give the (white, male) main characters some kind of meaningful storyline. I wish I could un-notice it, because it makes a lot of media less enjoyable. Not like I'll never watch another movie or TV show, but it is irritating in a "not this poo poo again" way. v:v:v

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Banshee has a bullshit power. He makes supersonic sounds. Sounds that travel faster than the speed of sound. And then he locates Shaws sub by SONAR. Yeah, he can send out sound underwater, but he has no way of detecting them when they bounce back.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Memento posted:

Was he using a Wooden Man dummy? One of these -

Yes, he was. I can't seem to find the clip online.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CJacobs posted:

I was saying that the cliche itself of "the black guy dies first" does not have a racial undertone to it at all

How could it not?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

1redflag posted:

"Better to die on your feet then live on your knees" trope?

Nah, I'm used to that, it was just this big speech ending with SLAVES and then looking at the only black dude in the movie was kinda jarring.

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

Another classic trope, similar to the first one I mentioned; "What are you talking about!?" After a character comes running in explaining something very clearly.

Example:
/Aliens crash land on a farm and kill a cow with a laser beam
/Farm boy runs in to the kitchen to tell his pa...
Boy: "Pa! A big spacecraft just landed in the field and then a cow got disintegrated with a laser!!"
Dad: "What the hell are you talking about, son??"

It's like, how the hell could the son explain that any better than he did? What kind of a response is the Dad looking for with his question? Why not say "Stop lying Timmy, I'm not falling for it." Which would sound more realistic.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The "mutants as allegory for minority X" has never really sat right with me, since (AFAIK) Jews can't obliterate a neighborhood by opening their eyes/make people's heads explode/eat your car.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh hey a ton of posts, whats the topic of discuss----

:yikes:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

The "mutants as allegory for minority X" has never really sat right with me, since (AFAIK) Jews can't obliterate a neighborhood by opening their eyes/make people's heads explode/eat your car.

Yeah that's kinda messed up. Still made me root for Magneto. v0v

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Radicals posted:

Another classic trope, similar to the first one I mentioned; "What are you talking about!?" After a character comes running in explaining something very clearly.

Example:
/Aliens crash land on a farm and kill a cow with a laser beam
/Farm boy runs in to the kitchen to tell his pa...
Boy: "Pa! A big spacecraft just landed in the field and then a cow got disintegrated with a laser!!"
Dad: "What the hell are you talking about, son??"

It's like, how the hell could the son explain that any better than he did? What kind of a response is the Dad looking for with his question? Why not say "Stop lying Timmy, I'm not falling for it." Which would sound more realistic.

"What are you talking about?" does not necessarily literally mean "I don't understand what you just said." People also say it to mean "Wow you just said something crazy, why would you say a crazy thing like that?"

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

What really sucks is Darwin was an unknown character with a really cool and visually interesting power but nah gently caress it gotta have laser hula hoops

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Byzantine posted:

Well, maybe consider some of the heinous propaganda that was circulated about various races & minorities anyway. Remember the super-powered negro who is going to rape All White Women thing if he gets a hold of drugs? Or how about how you will somehow contract homosexuality by being in contact with a gay person?

http://www.vox.com/2014/11/25/7283327/michael-brown-racist-stereotypes Here is a sad link describing accounts of giant superhuman black people.

Trying to stay on topic, but I think the idea is that some racists believe Jews could obliterate a neighborhood.

E: Wasn't there some Cold War propaganda about mind control? :v:
E2:
E3: http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...he_magical.html <- This particular article is very interesting.

Best personified in movie form in X2 when the parent asks the teen, "Have you tried... not being a mutant?"

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 05:59 on Feb 13, 2015

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Well, maybe consider some of the heinous propaganda that was circulated about various races & minorities anyway. Remember the super-powered negro who is going to rape All White Women thing if he gets a hold of drugs? Or how about how you will somehow contract homosexuality by being in contact with a gay person?

I'm well aware of that, but the thing is none of those fears/propaganda were true.

Meanwhile DoFP has mutants effortlessly break into the Pentagon and Magneto rips up an entire stadium, flies it through the air and drops it on the White House

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So you're saying you're a mutie hater. <:(>

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Trying to stay on topic, but I think the idea is that some racists believe Jews could obliterate a neighborhood.

The funny thing is, Imperial Japan read The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. They decided since these Jewish guys are obviously super influential world-domination types, we'd better get them on our side. We need some of that economic dominance and shadowy control of the world, especially since Hitler considers us Untermensch and will be coming for us next.

End result: the Japanese ended up smuggling tons of Jewish refugees out of Germany.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tunicate posted:

The funny thing is, Imperial Japan read The Protocols of the Elders of Zion. They decided since these Jewish guys are obviously super influential world-domination types, we'd better get them on our side. We need some of that economic dominance and shadowy control of the world, especially since Hitler considers us Untermensch and will be coming for us next.

End result: the Japanese ended up smuggling tons of Jewish refugees out of Germany.

Actually Hitler officially decreed that Japanese were "Honorary Aryans" but yeah the rest of this is accurate.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Nah, I'm used to that, it was just this big speech ending with SLAVES and then looking at the only black dude in the movie was kinda jarring.

Hahaha, ironically that flew right over my head.

Radicals
Dec 16, 2005

Byzantine posted:

If I had a dollar for every time a Jew has eaten my car...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

IUG posted:

Oh god this thread is talking about Looper again.

Maybe it's the first time we're talking about Looper :tinfoil: