Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I really wish we could tear up every freeway in the state and start over from scratch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
While we're at it, can we also tear up the VTA and rebuild it at something other than at grade? If it could get me to work in ~20 minutes instead of an hour, I wouldn't even have to drive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

While we're tearing up the freeways, we should go ahead and tear up the residential, business, and industrial infrastructure too, so it can all be laid out in much more useful and less stupidly wasteful ways.

Oh and the water, power, and telecoms infrastructure too.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Declare independence, enact full communism, tear everything down and start anew

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Leperflesh posted:

While we're tearing up the freeways, we should go ahead and tear up the residential, business, and industrial infrastructure too, so it can all be laid out in much more useful and less stupidly wasteful ways.

Oh and the water, power, and telecoms infrastructure too.

#TearDownCalifornia

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sydin posted:

#TearDownCalifornia

Like we need to do anything for that to happen. The ultimate in slacktivism. Do nothing, accomplish everything.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Before we tear everything down, I'd like to introduce a bill that makes it mandatory for Californians to refer to Highway and Freeways by the One True Pronoun of The.

The 101.
The 405.

Bay Area resident are exempt because gently caress their backwards ways.

In other news LA wants to change their school board and city reps election dates to coincide with National Presidential elections. This would cause.more people to turn out. It might also bloat the gently caress out of the $$ necessary to compete in those races :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FilthyImp posted:

Before we tear everything down, I'd like to introduce a bill that makes it mandatory for Californians to refer to Highway and Freeways by the One True Pronoun of The.

The 101.
The 405.

Bay Area resident are exempt because gently caress their backwards ways.

I'd be okay with this.

But can I still sometimes bring out my inner Chicago and say I-5, just for the glares all around? :v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sydin posted:

I'd be okay with this.

But can I still sometimes bring out my inner Chicago and say I-5, just for the glares all around? :v:

I-ism is the acceptable alternative for transplants.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Sydin posted:

4. On a similar note, almost every entrance either quickly merges into the lane left of it, or dumps you right into an exit only lane you have to quickly weave out of or you'll get carted right back off the freeway. My favorite is the entrance to 87 South off Charchot, where as soon as you get on you're immediately in an exit only lane and the exit is only a couple of hundred feet ahead. So you have to find space to merge left in ~3-5 seconds, or you're forced off. This is good freeway design! :downs:

My favorite example of this is the Leland Ave/280 onramp. You have about 200 feet to get over not one, but two lanes because you're dumped onto I-280 right before the SB 17 exit ramp, which is two lanes.

Then you have another 200 feet to get over another lane, because that next lane over is the exit for NB 880.

Then you have another 200 feet to get over one more lane just for kicks because they have to make room for the lane that gets added when the partial cloverleaf onramp from NB 17 merges with 280.

Honorable mention goes to full cloverleafs at non-freeway interchanges. Sometimes the civil engineers are nice enough to give you a separated roadway so you don't have to compete with freeway traffic (237/Lawrence and 101/Embarcadero Rd). And then there's cases like 85 and El Camino Real or the near-complete cloverleaf at Mathilda and 101, where you have people both merging on and merging off the freeway ALONG with those going at speed to get to the next intersection in the same 100 foot stretch of road.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 13, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just caught up with this thread and I'm so stressed out now.

gently caress driving, gently caress drivers, gently caress freeways!

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
This morning on the 405 north, a little after the Mullholland exit, I noticed some California poppies in full bloom on the road side embankment, so that was nice.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

This poo poo is the worst. I'm pretty sure there are two of them in a row on the 17N-85N interchange, too.

The other big 17 freeway design horror is the fishhook, where 1N and 17S become one. If you are driving along the 1 in the left lane you go around a fairly sharp turn, which suddenly sharpens even more mid turn, and then are dumped out on the 17 with people going at speed, with literally zero merge time. The lanes just very suddenly are the same. It's a wonder there's not an accident there daily.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My favorite example of this is the Leland Ave/280 onramp.

Oh man, I've never had to merge on from there, but you're right. That's incredible.

The whole 280/17/880 intersection is a total clusterfuck:

:suicide:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah designing your entire civilization around cars is kind of a bitch.

Anyone who likes driving in California is out of their mind.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

VikingofRock posted:

The other big 17 freeway design horror is the fishhook, where 1N and 17S become one. If you are driving along the 1 in the left lane you go around a fairly sharp turn, which suddenly sharpens even more mid turn, and then are dumped out on the 17 with people going at speed, with literally zero merge time. The lanes just very suddenly are the same. It's a wonder there's not an accident there daily.

Highway 17 South to Highway 1 South is another nightmare because of the merging, but Highway 1 North to Highway 17 North somehow managed to be acceptable. I wish I had experienced the railroad that ran from Oakland to Santa Cruz before 1940.

Just about every example of lane merging around here is a nightmare. Another amusing example is the westbound direction past the toll plaza onto the Bay Bridge, which is a mess of lanes that merge without warning, although somehow less dangerous than people reversing out of the toll both to enter a different toll both.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Sydin posted:

At least LA drivers know how to dive properly without a preceding 10-15 seconds of indecision.
This makes a huge difference.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I used to accept a 15-30 minute longer commute in order to avoid driving in LA.

Now I bike.

gently caress driving in rush hour in LA

FRINGE posted:

This makes a huge difference.

I have a friend who just learned how to drive and my advice to her was "No hesitation, they can smell your fear"

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

Now I bike.

I have a friend who just learned how to drive and my advice to her was "No hesitation, they can smell your fear"
Im in WA now, and the amount of time lost to "I better drive at the same speed as the bike next to me so they dont feel left behind" and "nono! YOU go first!" combined with the non-stop phone-held-against-the-face (in LA most people have some kind of headset) and dogs in the drivers lap makes driving frustrating. These people would be killed in LA. They cant merge. they cant signal, they cant get UP TO the speed limit... aaaargh.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

Now I bike.

Let's just start over. No more roads. Just cable car lines everywhere, or at least until Elon Musk gets enough funding to build his deathtube.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Let's just start over.
Freeway system needs to be a mega grid like roads but spread out. More than one way to get from area to area.

gently caress the 101/405 exchange. And the 10.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Build one freeway but mostly force your sims to use mass transit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The best interchange is where the 10, 5, 101, 60, and 710 come together in East LA.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

edit: wrong thread

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

The best interchange is where the 10, 5, 101, 60, and 710 come together in East LA.
Poor Chinatown. (At least thats where I would hop on the 5 if I had to deal with downtown.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
On the upside ... at least we're not truck drivers dealing with the port labor dispute.

http://imgur.com/a/quS8p

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

VikingofRock posted:

This poo poo is the worst. I'm pretty sure there are two of them in a row on the 17N-85N interchange, too.

The fishhook is a loving hilarious troll.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
The whole 17 between SC and SJ is a moving deathtrap.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My vote for least favorite intersection is to 101s. The exit from 880 has traffic from 101N merging in before the exiting traffic can leave, then it dumps you onto a lane on 101 that is exit only to 880N. The next lane over is also exit only to Oakland Road, so if you actually have to go south on 101, you're forced to merge through two lanes of traffic merging the other way.

There are some beautiful roads though if you want to sightsee. One of my favorites is 25 that goes south from hollister. About this time of year, it's all beautiful green rolling hills dotted with wildflowers and seas of mustard.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Ron Jeremy posted:

My vote for least favorite intersection is to 101s. The exit from 880 has traffic from 101N merging in before the exiting traffic can leave, then it dumps you onto a lane on 101 that is exit only to 880N. The next lane over is also exit only to Oakland Road, so if you actually have to go south on 101, you're forced to merge through two lanes of traffic merging the other way.

There are some beautiful roads though if you want to sightsee. One of my favorites is 25 that goes south from hollister. About this time of year, it's all beautiful green rolling hills dotted with wildflowers and seas of mustard.

The road through Niles Canyon is pretty nice (from Niles/Mission Blvd in Fremont to 680), but holy hell is it a clusterfuck during rush hour since a lot of people think they can take this winding wilderness road to dodge 680's traffic.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
My personal favorite intersection is the Rengstorff exit on 101 south.

Not only does it have the same issue of "let's make a merge-on/merge-off lane that's only 100 feet long lol" that the Mathilda exit has, it has the added bonus that said lane has literally no reason to exist. There is an existing entrance to 101 south less than 1000 feet away!

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

This morning on the 405 north, a little after the Mullholland exit, I noticed some California poppies in full bloom on the road side embankment, so that was nice.

I've got a bunch of negative poo poo to say about the driving since I moved here, but really... Today is a nice loving day. Holy poo poo. What were we talking about?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Not only does it have the same issue of "let's make a merge-on/merge-off lane that's only 100 feet long lol" that the Mathilda exit has, it has the added bonus that said lane has literally no reason to exist. There is an existing entrance to 101 south less than 1000 feet away!

I totally forgot about that bizarre ramp.

The best part about that ramp is that you can also turn right on to 101 if you are headed north past the In-N-Out, but otherwise can cross the onramp traffic to turn left onto Charleston, so you get this weird half-SPUI monstrosity that's controlled by a single stop sign.

Also it's a little bit better than Mathilda, and more like the 85/El Camino intersection, because at least it's not literally dumping you into a through lane. Worst case, you get directed back to Rengstorff.

Worst case at Mathilda is that you get rear-ended because you didn't see the person behind you on 101.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

There is an In and Out burger joint right there. Jesus, there better be a loving exit.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pohl posted:

There is an In and Out burger joint right there. Jesus, there better be a loving exit.

This guy gets it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

a costco, in-n-out and micky D's right next to each other, thanks for reminding that California is such a unique place

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

etalian posted:

a costco, in-n-out and micky D's right next to each other, thanks for reminding that California is such a unique place

I live within two miles of a Chick-Fil-A, Carl's Jr., McDonalds, Burger King, Five Guys, In-N-Out, The Habit, AND a Smashburger.

I have no idea how they can ALL stay open.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I live within two miles of a Chick-Fil-A, Carl's Jr., McDonalds, Burger King, Five Guys, In-N-Out, The Habit, AND a Smashburger.

I have no idea how they can ALL stay open.

My old university has:
1. A Subway on campus.
2. A Subway half a block off the east side of campus.
3. A Subway one block off the north side of campus.
4. A Subway three blocks off the west side of campus.
5. A Subway five blocks off the west side of campus. Yes, 4 and 5 are two blocks from one another, but on opposite sides of the major street.
6. A Subway three blocks further west from Subway #5.
7. A Subway two blocks north from Subway #4.

All of them are still open. In fact, #3 there used to be a Quiznos, but shut down about 3-4 years ago and became a Subway, which is still there today.

:psyduck:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

My old university has:
1. A Subway on campus.
2. A Subway half a block off the east side of campus.
3. A Subway one block off the north side of campus.
4. A Subway three blocks off the west side of campus.
5. A Subway five blocks off the west side of campus. Yes, 4 and 5 are two blocks from one another, but on opposite sides of the major street.
6. A Subway three blocks further west from Subway #5.
7. A Subway two blocks north from Subway #4.

All of them are still open. In fact, #3 there used to be a Quiznos, but shut down about 3-4 years ago and became a Subway, which is still there today.

:psyduck:

I've never been able to figure out how subway does this either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drilldo squirt posted:

I've never been able to figure out how subway does this either.

It costs like $20,000 to license a Subway franchise and they don't care since they get a percentage with no other liability.

(For comparison, McDonalds requires something like $750,000 and you must have an additional $1 million in liquid assets)