Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Uh, what about the other man and woman wearing heavy coats?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Indolent Bastard posted:

I wanted to thank everyone for playing spot the edit, today's edit was

Intelligent Life

Sadly nobody correctly spotted the edit, so there are no winners, only losers.

Better luck next time!

...but you didn't change anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pastry of the Year posted:

No one in this thread, I think, has said it, but I think strips that are enjoyed need recognition (RIP Chief Dharma): I really like Emmy Lou. It's god damned adorable.

That's a fair comment. I'm finding myself enjoying the really old stuff, like the cowboys and life 100 years ago. It's good to remind ourselves that people have always been just like us.

Sure, normally I pick out a really lovely comic or two at a time and just hate on them, but I really enjoy a lot of the stuff posted here and want to thank everyone who takes the time, and even spends their own money, to share this with us.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

I actually think this isn't far from how something like this works. Someone's gotta front for expenses, and they need to get paid back.

Al Qaeda has very meticulous bookkeeping.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Useless posted:

I also think Arlo and Janis is great for having a long married couple that are still hot for each other, instead of acting like elementary school students with crushes (see Rose is Rose and the loving "love letters" followed by candy and rainbows in the air).

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis is incredibly good and honest and genuine and occasionally downright dirty and I have no idea how it continues to get published apart from lazy editors assuming legacy strips are always safe.
Arlo and Janis is one of the blandest, least interesting comics ever. Sure, it's realistic, but that just means that nothing ever happens. It's mostly just two boring people doing normal, everyday things. Sometimes we get to see their boring kids as well. What's to like?

Francis

The farmers sent him canned spinach? :crossarms:

Mark Trail

2015-01-02 - Having been punched off the boat, Mark has fallen into the water, losing his phone. Now he can't call for help, so I guess he'll have to take on these bad guys by himself.

2015-01-05 - Perhaps not the best idea to piss off the guy with the gun, Cherry.

2015-01-12 - Meanwhile, one of the hired guns is out searching for Mark when he stumbles upon that alligator we saw almost two months ago.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Indolent Bastard posted:

I wanted to thank everyone for playing spot the edit, today's edit was

Intelligent Life

Better luck next time!

Haha gently caress, I'm stupid. No surprise there. But you had to know that no one would ever actually, willingly visit the "Intelligent Life" page to check.

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

That article is shockingly fascinating.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Courage, Bert! We need people like you to write complaint letters to the editor about this strip .

What in the actual gently caress is wrong with this comic. I have no idea who these people even are anymore because he's been on this arc for way too loving long.
I am reminded of this SNL Digital Short

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Seeing things happen with any sort of dynamism in Mark Trail is so loving weird. It's like mannequins I've stared at for years have suddenly taken to moving on occasion.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

Oh no, the table might turn into a human now!
That's a beaker of human semen, isn't it.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

What better way to transport gallons of formaldehyde than in your luxury automobile.

Your ignorance isn't fooling anyone, Sarah. We all know you're planning something, just not where or when...

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

Tricked twice goons, this was actually the original:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Also a good way to mess up that ancient CRT you're using.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Better luck next time!

I did actually, but only noticed the signs when I was editing it myself. The ongoing response was too good to share my discovery.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Yeah, I thought that too. Thanks for playing that card! :v:

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

What better way to transport gallons of formaldehyde than in your luxury automobile.

Oh, I don't know, the fuel oil component of ANFO? JUST HAVE THE GODDAMN CAR CLEANED YOU MORONS! YOU GOT IT FOR loving FREE!

Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

:stare:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/13/2004

"Riddle her with insecurity, self-doubt, and confusion" with one sentence? And, I wonder what surprises Brooke has in store for tomorrow's strip, both past and present, knowing what day it is. Writhing hands with entwined fingers or something?

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Eh, never liked it. Plus Noah Hathaway was way better in Battlestar Galactica. And didn't the horse kick the bucket in that scene for realsies, or is that just urban myth?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Eh, never liked it. Plus Noah Hathaway was way better in Battlestar Galactica. And didn't the horse kick the bucket in that scene for realsies, or is that just urban myth?

Urban myth.

Gmork used to scare the hell out of me when I was a kid.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Well, they DO exist..

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, they DO exist..

I knew you'd find almost anything on etsy but I didn't think crochet gagballs would be one.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Thanks EasyEW for pickin' up my slack yesterday.

Cul-de-sac finally.

The Creeps wish fulfillment.

Poptropica Datacenter plug.

Heathcliff you said it, mouseface.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

I think that the fact that this makes no sense was overlooked by the God awful Intelligent Life strip. Is the wind from the drone supposed to be drawing his toupee off his head? Am I seeing this right?

drones have tractor beams, don't ya know.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Looking at these strips, I really wonder what kind of world the artists creators of these strips live in. From what I gather, selfies are probably some kind of currency/commodity (think bitcoin, but with vanity) and drones are something like cell phones were to real people in the late 90s.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Nenonen posted:

I knew you'd find almost anything on etsy but I didn't think crochet gagballs would be one.

Nose warmers go back quite a ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AscJjI3o9go

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Hopefully it took both of them out and this miserable story will finally end.

Pibgorn

I see that Brooke's new line of chrome mudflaps are available to order.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
The perspective in Mary Worth is always terrible but that second panel is outright trippy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's staggering how much mileage the Piranha Club guy gets out of "cheese smells bad" on a regular basis.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (December 16, 1927)

Skippy posted:

Dear Sooky:

I'm up here in the hospital an' got to wonderin' about you an' the gang. I goes in a room with two beds, an' as I goes in I see a little girl gettin' took out. The kid wasn't any more'n two-an'-a-half years old; a little bit of a thing, and cute looking with blond hair and blue eyes. C'n you imagine a little kid like that in a great big hospital four stories high! Gee, I got thinkin' to myself it don't seem fair for a kid like that, just beginning life, to have to go to hospital no less.

Well, Sooky, she's just acrost the hall from me now. The nurse says there's four empty beds in that room an' just the kid in its crib. I ain't much for the canaries, only this little kid's sorta different. She calls "Marg-gy," "Marg-gy," then sorta waits an' listens. Nobody gives her a tumble. Then you c'n hear the kid's voice again, "Oh Marg-gy! OOH-HOO, OOO-HOO!" Then when nobody comes she gets to rattling the bed, shakes it like sixty. Then it's all very quiet and lonesome. Then she begins to cry and pleatd for Marggy. After she cries a while she rattles the crib fast like, an' then says " Marg-gy," sorta sore.

The nurse came in to give me a glass of milk and I get to askin' how the little customer was across the way. She told me that she was very sick. Ain't that a tough break for ya, an' so near Christmas! When the nurse went I got to moseying aroun' the room. looking through the bureau drawer, and there in the bottom drawer was this kid's clothes, all packed up neat. But I couldn't get me eyes off the shoes! They wasn't any longer than me hand, an' was curled up in the front, full of little wrinkles. You could see the kid had been hot-footing it around, because on one of the toes its all raggedy an' the second skin is comin' through.

It's two days now an' I still hear the kid calling "Marg-gy, Marg-gy," an' no Marggy comes. So when the nurse comes around I up and asked her who "Marg-gy" was. She said she thought it was her mother. Seems funny that the mother doesn't come, don't it? They're awful swell. She gets milk an' everything. Don't cost her a cent. Last night I wasn't sleepin' so well an' I guess the kid was dreaming, an' in her sleep she called out, "Marg-gy! Marg-gy!" I looked out the window an' got to looking at the moon shining over the mountain an' wondered if God was goin' to send Marggy. An' I got to wonderin' if a kid so young was checked up on sinning, an' if they was how could they get a break, 'cause she ain't old enough to pray. The only thing she knows is "Marg-gy!" an' "Yooo-Hoo!"

This is the third day now an' I woke up an' heard the nurses and doctors walkin' down the hall. They all seemed to be going in that room acrost the way, an' everybody got to whisperin' sorts, an' all morning I haven't heard the kid say "Marg-gy," but just about noon-time I could hear, ever so soft-like, just as if it was very, very far away, "Marg-gy, M-M-Marg-gy, Yoo----". Then I couldn't hear any more. That afternoon I asked the nurse how the kid was, an' she says "You better rest," but I sorta can't, with them little shoes in my bureau, an' I'm just sorta wonderin couldn't the gang get together an' send some toys--old toys, to the kids that have to stay in the hospitals with just nothin'. Couldn't they? Huh, Sook? DO yuh think?

Write as soon as you get this.

SKIPPY.

Holy crap, Percy Crosby. :smith:

Peanuts (February 16, 1968)

Tekla? Tekla?

Mason Jarr In Miseryville

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (August 18-19, 1926)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

EasyEW posted:

Holy poo poo. The comics page.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's staggering how much mileage the Piranha Club guy gets out of "cheese smells bad" on a regular basis.

Well, tries to get mileage. I'll say one thing for it though: at least it's not actively offensive for once.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set lives in a rough neighborhood.

Working Daze falls flat.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Like an ever-present guardian, never resting, Always Watching Comix.

Pooch Café

Because you didn't want to break your back doing unappreciated trudgery in a field that is becoming increasingly anachronistic in modern society. Bam!

Ballard Street

gently caress you, fish are cool. You're reading a goddamn newspaper.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

The Funky Winkerbean guy reads this, crumples a half-finished strip and tosses it into the garbage, and goes to lie down for a while to contemplate how he can never live up to this ideal.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Ok, real advice for this fake person in this comic strip I hate. Tiff should go to cosmetology school. She shows real tallent for that sort of thing and she likes giving makeovers. Even people who hate her come to her for her fashion expertise before sinking their teeth into her back. She could even still go to Hollywood and make it big in the film industry and rub elbows with big stars, just from behind the camera.

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I thought this blog post about Schulz's decision to include Franklin in Peanuts was pretty interesting and I thought some of you might too.

(tl;dr: it was a suggestion from a (white) schoolteacher after MLK was shot, Schulz initially resisted to avoid being condescending, but after he did it was pretty adamant that anyone who didn't like it could go jump off a bridge).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

It's pretty cool to see how Schultz's position evolved once he got the feedback. I'm also fairly impressed at just how much pull he had with his editors, but I guess that was the reality of being in the newspapers while they were still fairly ubiquitous.

And, of course, that Dennis the Menace comparison point never ceases to flabbergast me. Was Hank Ketcham seriously attempting to integrate his strip and just failed miserably, or was he a racist old fart taking the piss?

• Locked thread