Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

She's filing for divorce.

I thought mine would after the third Audi. I bought a Volvo to keep her happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

I thought mine would after the third Audi. I bought a Volvo to keep her happy.

I'm not even married yet and I assume she has the paperwork ready in advance.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Holdbrooks posted:

Nope nope and nope.

nope_octopus.gif

I dunno how the gently caress it happened but within the past 3 weeks I've started gathering a bunch of SQL, Python and VBA scripts I've been using to query various things across the company network and the outernet as we integrate a massive South American site into our operations. I'm a geologist for gently caress's sake I dunno about this fancy computer poo poo.

I need something to do in the evenings apart from sit on my computer and drink. I've started trawling the local listings for a 323 SS like the one I sold when we got together and were a lot poorer than we are now, and really only needed one car. Unfortunately I don't think they exist any more, and I don't want a Laser TX3 because they're much fatter looking as opposed to the cool boxiness of the 323. The worst part about it is idiots listing their boring-as-poo poo non-turbo Ford Lasers with Familia as a keyword and getting my hopes up that there are more of them out there than there actually is.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I'm not even married yet and I assume she has the paperwork ready in advance.

She's a hell of a woman to put up with you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So all told, without the car the E30V8 is $2800 or so unless I luck out at 50% off days at the PnP. Unless I can find a place to stash the car for like a year I don't think I'll pursue it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
To bad you don't love closer, I'd let you stash it. But I'm an enabler.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Too bad you don't live closer so I could buy them.

I would love a facelifted e30 coupe.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

TooLShack posted:

I asked what benefits the company offered and was told "A Paycheck",

That better be a hell of a paycheck then.

You know, my boss is a dyed in the wool anti tax job creator republican but at least he understands that people help him earn money and it's not all his for his pocket. Best pay I've ever had, matching 401k, annual deposits into my health savings account, and huge bonuses when profits are up. The first 4 years here we did awesome, and every year my bonus got bigger, last one was $7500. 2013 and 2014 sucked but the bonus is the only benefit I lost. Management here understands sharing the wealth with the people who earned it for you. Probably because we're a decades old family business.

It seems like people like the guy you interviewed with see employees as just a roadblock to their riches, what the gently caress is that about? They're people for gently caress's sake.

In AI news, I wish I had a dashcam today, on my way to work I saw the most AI lady. Looked to be in her 50's/60's, driving a Miata with the top down, thick coat, scarf, stocking cap and matching mittens. 7:30 AM, 32°F. AI as gently caress.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 13, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If you guys want to GoFundMe for the purchase price of the car...

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Job pay chat, one of my buddies for a while ago said it best "When you pay in bananas, you get monkeys".

For me it's not just about what I make, but also about my teammates and my department. I want to be around other people that are paid well for doing solid work because I want to get some poo poo done. I don't want to deal with people fuckin' around because that's all the company could hire with the lovely pay offered, or under experienced because the experienced people don't take the job.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A friend of mine is hard up for cash... and selling his subs from his old Civic.

3 subs in a sealed box. 12 inch JL Audios. For stupid cheap. I'm going to toss my Chromebook on Craigslist, if I can get $100 for it that box is mine, and I have an amp that's more than capable of pushing them as long as they're wired for no lower than 2 ohm. The chromebook is kinda beat up, but I've upgraded the RAM, and it has a developer build on it that enables the onboard Bluetooth.

Got home to a jammed garbage disposal.

:colbert: "What'd you put down there?"
:v: "Nothing, I just turned it on and it would only buzz"

Got the allen key, I could barely turn it backwards, not forward at all. Finally got it spun back half a turn, turned it on, and it jammed again. Wound up yanking it out from under the sink.

Wire bread twist tie and the plastic things that go on a bag a loaf of bread come in were jammed in there, wedged between the disc and the side wall - there was also a shredded ziplock baggie in it. That was not fun to clean out. But it's working again, and actually sounds healthy for the first time in a long time. I suspect the plastic thing had been in there awhile, as it's sounded funny for quite awhile and spun down way too quick when shut off (stopping almost instantly); it just crumbled when I tried to pull it out. The twist tie was a bitch and a half.

:v: "I don't know how those got there! YOUR CAT must have knocked that stuff down there!" :eyeroll:

Works and sounds brand new now, even takes a few seconds to fully spin down. Haven't heard it sound like that in a couple of years.

mafoose posted:

I have a super hardcore libertarian friend who is paying for his degree with non-subsidized private loans. I bet the amount of money spent to do that would still be less than a for profit school.

If you want me to get specifics, just let me know STR.

Every school that handles Title IV financial aid still has to adhere to government mandated Satisfactory Academic Progress rules. Private student loans are still handled by financial aid departments. I can never meet SAP again in my lifetime because of how many hours I've attempted. Ergo, I can never get any form of financial aid - scholarships, loans, grants, etc - for any college credit courses. I have to pay out of pocket until I complete my bachelor's - at which point I can qualify for financial aid intended for graduate students. So I'm up poo poo creek when it comes to actually getting a degree, even if I do manage to obtain private student loans. There is an appeal process, but it's good for one school year only, and it's basically only if you dropped out/failed due to something catastrophic. I was able to get an extra semester of funding at Collin College via appeal. They've rejected further appeals, and literally laughed when I asked about CE/WF financial aid.

The only way I can get financial aid of any kind is to go for a certificate program. All of the junior colleges here only offer one form of aid, and it's a state grant that covers only tuition, not supplies, tutoring, testing, student fees, etc. It's up to $1500/calendar year, which will cover 2-3 classes. Unfortunately, the only local certificate programs I've found that qualify for traditional financial aid are the for-profit schools. I'm getting over $3500 in a Pell grant, I'm able to add on to my existing subsidized loans, and the rest will be a loan from Sallie Mae.

I did finally track down who has my high school transcript. I said I needed both official and unofficial copies. They're mailing an official one; they emailed an unofficial.... it's an Excel spreadsheet. :downsgun: I had to chuckle at my graduation date though... 6/6/96. Three 6's. That explains a lot. :v: I never realized I was in any AP classes, though my school also didn't have a guidance counselor - they didn't really give me any choices in the classes I took, just said "here's your schedule" on the first day.

I did check with the junior colleges again. The only aid I can get is $1500/year from the state (which can only be used for tuition, nothing else), but they do offer some of the same classes... for about $300-600/each. They're about 3 months long, so I can complete 3 per year at best (if they didn't conflict with each other). And my only option is one campus in DCCCD.

It's basically this or a trade school if I want any education at this point, and I need to get the gently caress out of food service before I kill myself and everyone around me. At least it's not ITT Tech or any of the well-known ripoff schools, and what they're charging is about what I would pay for 2 to 2.5 semesters at UNT, based on what I paid to attend UNT in 2012. My tuition at UNT was about $4500 for one semester, about $500 more in books, probably $150 in misc supplies, $150 for a parking permit, $500 for a laptop, several hundred for software that I would only use for one semester, plus tons of fees tacked on for other stuff. I'm not including room/board in that for obvious reasons (that was another $3k). The summer term ran me an additional $2000, plus about $200 more in books. At least I'm getting a reacharound with this, plus all the software, supplies, a laptop, a tablet, certification fees (testing center fees, test fees, etc) etc that I'll need.

I do want to finish my 4 year degree, but not for job reasons, I just want my film degree for the hell of it. But unless I win the lottery, or my dad kicks the bucket sometime soon (and my stepmom doesn't try to keep everything - and I guarantee that'll be a long, drawn-out battle), it's not happening until I have some decent money coming in and can pay for it myself.

So can we drop the subject now? I realize nobody meant to dogpile, but it's getting old. I'm partly biased toward this particular place because I know a couple of people who've gone through the same program, and they had jobs lined up before they even finished. Admittedly, one of them is a helpdesk grunt, but he's... not great with technology in general (and he's set in his ways enough that not much will ever change that). He'd do best if he can work his way up into management or recruiting where he's at. The other is a DBA making decent cash.

Rhyno posted:

When I toyed with going back to school a few years ago I qualified for so much financial aid and grants it made my head spin.

After my first term at UNT, I actually had a full ride - between Pell grants, grants from the school, and a scholarship from the school, I would have basically only had to find a way to pay for food. There was even enough for on-housing, if I didn't mind living in an older dorm (which I was already doing).

.... then they determined I'd exceeded the number of allowable hours under SAP (Satisfactory Academic Progress) and yanked the rug out from under me.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

so he had to go to the bank and pay a much lower interest rate for basically a line of credit to go to school with.

That's literally my only option to go back to a university.(or even junior college). And at the moment, my credit isn't good enough. In about a year and a half it will be, but my debt to income ratio will be too high at that point (right now, even with making $7.50 + tips, my debt:income ratio is below 20%, if I make minimum payments - which I don't). I know every penny I make in the first 1-2 years I'm working a decent job will be going to paying off student loan debt, and paying off my car (the car is the priority, as it has the highest APR, but I also hope to have it paid off this year).

If i manage to land even a $40k/yr job, I should be able to throw about $15k/year at my debt. I currently have $16k in debt (including student loans), that will almost double with the school. My goal is to be totally debt free within 3 years, max. I made under $18k last year, and still put a dent in both my car loan and student loans (and have yet to make just the minimum payment on the 2 credit cards I have).

rscott posted:

I got new eyeglasses and they're so clear compared to my 13 year old back up pair of glasses that I feel like I'm on loving acid or something, everything looks hyper real

That's how I felt when I got my new glasses. I was surprised, especially since i'd ordered them from China - the quality (and clarity!) surprised me.

rndmnmbr posted:

(I'm agnostic and blaspheme casually. This is going to be entertaining.)

I consider myself atheist/humanist, but started attending weekly services at a church last weekend.

... a Unitarian Universalist church though. It was so weird running into people I knew there, especially since this church is 40 miles from home, and all of the people I ran into follow non-traditional religions (one follows a form of Paganism, for example).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Fo3 posted:

Never make your hobby your job.

This is why my hobbies are now cursing at rusty shitboxes and on rare occasions fighting.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

We have a new guy at work is a devout Christian but I don't know him well enough to be able to tell if he is trolling me or not with some of the things he comes out with.
Earlier today he mentioned that there is soft tissue DNA that proves the young earth theory but it is suppressed by the scientific community so they can keep their high paid research jobs :psyduck:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I consider discussing religion at work to be akin to whipping out your dick (or pulling down your panties) and shoving your genetelia into the face of everyone you work with. Then making then take a deeeeeeeeeeep sniff of your pubes. Maybe even forcing them to pluck a pube out and use it as floss.

We all know you have your own belief system. We all know you have a cock, vagina, or other form of genetelia. Don't whip your cock out at work, and I won't whip mine out at work (though if you're cute enough, I won't go to HR...)

I rarely discuss religion even with my closest friends and family; I've spoken far more about my own religious (non)beliefs on SA in the past year than I have with friends/family in the past decade. At least on a forum, you can just skip past the post. When someone's shoving their pubes religion in your face at work, you have nowhere to go at that moment, and if you go to HR about it, that person will eventually find out someone complained and wind up deeply offended that not everyone thinks their pubic hair smells like God's sweat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 13, 2015

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

freelop posted:

We have a new guy at work is a devout Christian but I don't know him well enough to be able to tell if he is trolling me or not with some of the things he comes out with.
Earlier today he mentioned that there is soft tissue DNA that proves the young earth theory but it is suppressed by the scientific community so they can keep their high paid research jobs :psyduck:

I've never hid and will not hide my God bothering beliefs but this ignorance of science is just so loving stupid. Science is interesting. Science is fun and the more you know, the more you realise there's a whole fuckload we just dont know so why not find out?. And FFS, these young earthers should actually read the creation story for a second and work out it says exactly nothing other than God created, it's a tiny, tiny piece that only says one thing, gives no timeslines now lets get on with the real point of this book......

But ignorance of sciene isnt just a religious thing tho - I drat near threw punches when I found out half the branch of the local Greens (which I was a member of) here were antivaxxers and belived flouride was a huge cancer causing poison in the water. One moment they are bagging out religion (And frankly I'm quite happy to join in on that, religion does have some hosed up issues) and the next they go off on some anit pharma diatribe and I'm reaching for the nearest cricket bat to beat some sense into them. Anti Vaxxers REALLY set me off for true stupidity that has been disproved so many godawful times, you have to be just willfully retarded to believe it.

The best conclusion is people are loving stupid, no matter race, colour, religion or creed. Stupid doesnt discriminate.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Goddamn it.

A CB accord coupe manual just popped up for $700 with a blown head gasket...

The future wife said no non-running cars until after the wedding (in 5 weeks). It's even white, which is what I wanted :(

I guess a blown head gasket car still technically runs, right?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Definitely still runs. :ninja:

I mean, those things are dirt simple to do an HG on, right? Buy the HG/timing belt now, set up a showing for "ASAP", do the HG on the street in front of the seller's house and drive it home?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcEBxLC-kY
This is about how I'd roll if I liked Hondas, except I wear a belt and don't put dumb wheels on my cars.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife knows if the perfect car pops up for the right price I'm getting it, regardless of lack of storage space or running condition.

Also booking houses to view right now, which means the perfect car will pop up shortly and gently caress me in the rear end.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

I mean, those things are dirt simple to do an HG on, right? Buy the HG/timing belt now, set up a showing for "ASAP", do the HG on the street in front of the seller's house and drive it home?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBcEBxLC-kY
This is about how I'd roll if I liked Hondas, except I wear a belt and don't put dumb wheels on my cars.
This is the way my friends and I did it in high school. Show up with parts and full tool box then roll the car into the street and fix it after buying it. Bought so many cars with stupid little problems that were fixed in under an hour. Really pisses some sellers off for some reason though.

You guys and your wives, my only project car limit is space and money. I've figured out lift spacing so I'll be able to park 4 cars in my oversized 2 car garage and the driveway is big enough for 6 cars. One last thing (how many times have I said that?) on the 928 then it will be going on Craigslist to free up some more fun money. 2015 should be a good year for cars. I might need to start a project thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I just live in a lovely poor town with neighbors that don't care and/or like things with motors (one neighbor restores tractors!) and/or break more bylaws than I do, and park all the poo poo boxes I want in my yard.

When the building inspector came by to BS with me about my house and see how things were going, he asked me what was up with the military truck and proceeded to tell me I should borrow a dealer or repair plate (blatantly illegal) and run it in the town parade and that the cops wouldn't give a rats rear end. One of the many reasons I love this town.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

How does this happen in the UK? Dude is a serious minority in this case.

kastein posted:

I just live in a lovely poor town with neighbors that don't care and/or like things with motors (one neighbor restores tractors!) and/or break more bylaws than I do, and park all the poo poo boxes I want in my yard.

When the building inspector came by to BS with me about my house and see how things were going, he asked me what was up with the military truck and proceeded to tell me I should borrow a dealer or repair plate (blatantly illegal) and run it in the town parade and that the cops wouldn't give a rats rear end. One of the many reasons I love this town.

Where's this? Sounds great.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Cat Terrist posted:

....But ignorance of sciene isnt just a religious thing tho - I drat near threw punches when I found out half the branch of the local Greens (which I was a member of) here were antivaxxers and belived flouride was a huge cancer causing poison in the water. One moment they are bagging out religion (And frankly I'm quite happy to join in on that, religion does have some hosed up issues) and the next they go off on some anit pharma diatribe and I'm reaching for the nearest cricket bat to beat some sense into them. Anti Vaxxers REALLY set me off for true stupidity that has been disproved so many godawful times, you have to be just willfully retarded to believe it.

The best conclusion is people are loving stupid, no matter race, colour, religion or creed. Stupid doesnt discriminate.
Is there no hope for humanity?
Is there no hope for me?
There is no hope.

That's the progression in my life.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Bah, gently caress that, there is always hope. We've still got fun stuff to do and fun cars to mess around with.

My wife's water just broke, looks like kiddo #2 is going to be here pretty soon! :ohdear:

Despite my very lucid argument in favor of it my wife nixed the name Aryton :haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mat_Drinks posted:

Bah, gently caress that, there is always hope. We've still got fun stuff to do and fun cars to mess around with.

My wife's water just broke, looks like kiddo #2 is going to be here pretty soon! :ohdear:

Despite my very lucid argument in favor of it my wife nixed the name Aryton :haw:

Yeah new kid!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Congrats Matt on #2!! first two months have now come and gone with our little girl and it's been exhausting but awesome

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mat_Drinks posted:

Congrats! Maybe you should try Niki or Gilles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Congratulations on your incoming kid.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Mat_Drinks posted:

Congrats man! I appreciate your positivity in this occasionally way-too-mopey chat thread.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Hurrah for you! Another co-driver!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mat_Drinks posted:

Congrats on the kid!

I saw a impala SS this morning from the previous generation and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with them. They seem like they would fill a niche of full size performance vehicle, if that niche exists.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

mariooncrack posted:

Congrats on the kid!

I saw a impala SS this morning from the previous generation and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experiences with them. They seem like they would fill a niche of full size performance vehicle, if that niche exists.

I have this Dodge Charger...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Torque Steer

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

mariooncrack posted:

Congrats on the kid!

The motor would be fun to put in something. It's facing the wrong direction but it'd bolt right up to the existing transmission in Fuzzkill's Corolla...

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
There is a high-end collector car shop near my work so I went to visit today and saw this:

Designed by Pininfarina and dubbed the "X", it's a one-off aerodynamic study. They want $600,000 for it, but I found it just sold down in Scottsdale for $330,000.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
looks like something Citroen would make

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

rscott posted:

looks like something Citroen would make

I had the same thought,
I figured it was some weird old concept car they had built. Something about it reminds me of the DS.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
They had some Citroens - an SM and a convertible DS. I didn't take pictures of them though.

I did take pictures of this:

Oh, and this scary looking thing that contained a speedometer indicating it could hit 65mph.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone. Turns out it was a false alarm and something about a mucous plug. Kiddo is already two days late so if he isn't here by Tuesday AM he's getting drug(ged) out. :)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Been there. My fiance was in labor for an entire day and they got really close together. Took her to the hospital, no dice. They sent us home and said, bring her back when your water is broken. 4 days of contractions (and barely any sleep for either of us)later, we were back in the hospital at about midnight. Started pushing at about 4am, kid didnt get out of there til 10am.

No drugs. My lady is the toughest broad on planet earth. I seriously was almost hallucinating from lack of sleep and stress, and she was just pushing out a baby for 6 hours without a fuckin advil...with a smile on her face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My wife wanted to birth naturally, but after 24 hours and water broken, nothing doing.

She delivered via c-section, and during that time we learned our kids head would be too big for her birth canal. My wife is tiny.

• Locked thread