Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

InitialDave posted:

VAG dipstick tubes are made of the most fragile plastic known to man.

Sudo Echo posted:

I thought that was BMW radiator end tanks?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same superior German plastic in both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

German plastic is actually made from a slurry of excess engineers, they lure them into a boiler with beer and calipers. Once they liquefy the resulting sludge is poured into a mold. Good for detail work but lacking in durability.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same superior German plastic in both.

Nazi knockoff Bakelite

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Brittleness scale:

Styrofoam cups

Balsa wood

Those lumps of salt you get if you forget to put the lid back on

20 year old Bakelite

German plastics

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Any plastic exposed to hot oil or coolant for 20 years, really. It takes one hairy eye from a hundred paces to break an 87-96 XJ heater control valve in half, stranding the vehicle till you realize you can just loop the heater core hose back to the water pump and drive it to the parts store that way.

Or just think about changing the #5 and #6 spark plugs.

I'm not sure why people think it's such a great loving idea to expose plastics to hot oil and coolant. It ends badly every time.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Probably because it only ends in tears well outside of warranty.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

kastein posted:

I'm not sure why people think it's such a great loving idea to expose plastics to hot oil and coolant. It ends badly every time.

Sudo Echo posted:

Probably because it only ends in tears well outside of warranty.
It's probably cheaper to manufacture. Saving $3 per engine doesn't sound like a lot, but when you build ten million engines for use across two or three car lines, it's a big deal. Also, since plastic weighs less than metal, it helps the car get 0.000001 MPG better.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's next to a cast iron block, with a copper radiator used instead of aluminum and heavy steel axle housings, so I doubt it's weight.

I am sure it is cost based, it just annoys the poo poo out of me.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
[ASK] Me about the Yukon that came in for a starter replacement and that I'll probably be lucky to roll out the door in under 20 hours (at 14 and counting)

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

[ASK] Me about the Yukon that came in for a starter replacement and that I'll probably be lucky to roll out the door in under 20 hours (at 14 and counting)

Why don't you show us pictures? I wish we had taken one of the variable vale timing solenoid taken off a 2012 Canyon, covered is so much burned oil that we had to use grips and poo poo to get it out. He then asked us to put it back in (after we cleaned it).

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ibe got pictres I'm working on uploading i just needed to vent. Or drink. Mayne both.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I heard for every GMT800 chassis you subtly sabotage on its way out the door, a kitten gets wings.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Got a call from a good client of mine the other day.

:phone: Hey Slidebite! Mind dropping by the plant? We've got a parallel shaft reducer that's getting a little noisy, I'd like you to take a look at it.
:) No problem. Be there in a few hours

(2 hours later,)

:phone: Yeah, uh, we'll just send it to you. It started sounding pretty bad so we're putting the spare in. See what you can do to replace it or rebuild it for me, K? Thanks. :love:
:) Love to, fire it over.

Next day, a pallet arrives in my warehouse.

Oh, yeah, there's your problem.

Ooooooooh

For reference, at one time this was a spherical roller bearing and looked like this

This is around a circa 1970 gearbox and while I can indeed get a new one, it's about a $60K touch for this exact unit which is stupid. I can put in something a little more modern including an integral motor for about half that which would also get rid of the V-belt input.

At this point, I'm hoping for the clients sake the first stage of reduction is salvageable and we can get away with just the secondary gears and hopefully reman it for <$10K but I am really not optimistic they're relatively unscathed. The amount of material in the sump was something to see, even though it was already drained.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 12, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Sudo Echo posted:

Have you ever seen an unbroken Miata dipstick handle?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FatCow posted:

Have you ever seen an unbroken Miata dipstick handle?

The yellow ones seem to hold up rather well and add quite a bit of value

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

OFFICER 13 INCH posted:

The yellow ones seem to hold up rather well and add quite a bit of value

Speed and class mutha fucka.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's fairly terrifying

I touched the end of it to clean some oil residue off... Oh well new part is cheap and easy to install. It runs without dumping oil so drive it until Friday when the part arrives. Damnit VAG :argh:

My first car was a '84 VW Quantum with a length of 3/4" rubber fuel hose slipped onto the stub of what was left of the dip stick tube. You just jammed the dip stick down there like the world's most magnificent catheter, and the end stayed plugged in pretty well so there wasn't a lot of, ahem, dribbleage.

Who knows if the hose length was actually calibrated to give you a reading. Was it a quart high? Or maybe a quart low? :shrug: At 150k miles and burning more oil than fuel, my dad told me as long as I saw SOME oil on the dipstick, I'd be good to go.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

That's fairly terrifying

I touched the end of it to clean some oil residue off... Oh well new part is cheap and easy to install. It runs without dumping oil so drive it until Friday when the part arrives. Damnit VAG :argh:

I had to replace that same style dipstick and plastic tube on the ALH I salvaged. Cracked in half the first time I tried to pull the dipstick.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

'93-96 LT1 GM B-bodies have BMW-esque plastic end tanks on their radiator, too. If you ever have to change one, and don't substitute a metal tank replacement, you're an rear end in a top hat.

I just realized I have pictures of a CF6 reverser cowl that ate itself when it closed, at home. I'll have to dig those up.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Speed and class mutha fucka.

Did that thread ever get goldmined?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

Did that thread ever get goldmined?

Was it a thread? Thought it was in the craiglist thread. Either way, I have a .pdf of the car's info.

Converted to .jpg:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sudo Echo posted:

Fortunately, Volvo was insightful enough to only use this plastic for non-essential parts, like the door pockets.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Item 1: I started laughing and said "Man gently caress VW" before I scrolled far enough to see you give it away

Item 2: Replace the dipstick RIGHT NOW. The entire handle is made of the same material and exposed to the same conditions, and the goofy artistic fluting on it makes it likely to shatter into several narrow tall lobes when it breaks. Each one fits down the tube. Man, gently caress VW.

Also if the dipstick is not sealing perfectly it's a vacuum leak. :downsgun:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

glyph posted:

Was it a thread? Thought it was in the craiglist thread. Either way, I have a .pdf of the car's info.

Converted to .jpg:

Was it that thread? I thought it had a dedicated thread due to all the trolling AIers were doing to the seller.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Splizwarf posted:

Also if the dipstick is not sealing perfectly it's a vacuum leak. :downsgun:

Had a scare working on a BMW once, we'd had the dipstick out for whatever reason, went to start it and it ran like poo poo and spewed a huge cloud of smoke out the tailpipe. Freaked us out but there was no check engine light. After some experimentation we realized it was the dipstick being out causing the issue.

Don't ask me how the hell that works.

Also, that Sears was a newer shop built around 2000, and due to some bad PR incidents in the 90s the waiting room had a massive glass window looking out into the shop ("so our valued customers can ensure the highest standard of care for their cars!!!":suicide:) That car's owner was glaring daggers at me the whole time, and of course an explanation of a situation like that would never satisfy one of them.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
if a bmw owner takes their car to sears to get the oil changed they deserve whatever they get

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Fucknag posted:

Had a scare working on a BMW once, we'd had the dipstick out for whatever reason, went to start it and it ran like poo poo and spewed a huge cloud of smoke out the tailpipe. Freaked us out but there was no check engine light. After some experimentation we realized it was the dipstick being out causing the issue.

Because it's part of the CCV system, and BMW has never figured out how to build a system that isn't completely loving retarded.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Also, that Sears was a newer shop built around 2000, and due to some bad PR incidents in the 90s the waiting room had a massive glass window looking out into the shop ("so our valued customers can ensure the highest standard of care for their cars!!!":suicide:) That car's owner was glaring daggers at me the whole time, and of course an explanation of a situation like that would never satisfy one of them.

Well, if it had a PCV system, that was effectively a massive air leak (atmosphere -> dipstick tube -> crankcase -> PCV valve) which would play hell with any MAF based fuel management system.

e: or CCV I guess. I'm used to CCV (metered orifice from filtered atmospheric pressure source into the engine, then draw from other side of engine into the manifold) but either one's gonna make for a hell of an unmetered air leak.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrChips posted:

Because it's part of the CCV system, and BMW has never figured out how to build a system that isn't completely loving retarded.

Pipe going from the cam cover into the intake duct right in front of the TB? Check.

Vent going into a ludicrously complicated valve system made of plastic forming the back plate of the intake manifold right against the firewall? Check.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Any guesses as to what's wrong here?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
Pillbug

Root Bear posted:

The pinion gear pushed into the diff case?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Root Bear posted:

Pinion nut backed off and the pinion pulled in against the diff carrier.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Outer pinion bearing junk and/or pinion nut backed off.

Oh and now you need a new carrier, too. It may be optional but I wouldn't want to run with that, they're cast iron generally and somewhat brittle as it is.

looks like a dana 60 or sterling 10.25/10.5 in the rear of something with ABS?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Some failures from around my ice rink..

Harbor freights finest socket adapter

Calcium build up in a heat transfer glycol pump machined a brass impeller.. should be a cheap replacement..

See if you can spot the piston rings! VW 1.8 burns about a quart of oil a week.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Das Volk posted:

Nazi knockoff Bakelite

BMW plastics are the first time I've seen plastic turn into a thousand beautiful snowflakes just by touching it

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
Why do 80's and 90's domestic cars all have lovely door hinges? I just had to replace the pin on the lower drivers side door on my Grand Marquis (2003 but same design). That fucker was riveted in and definitely not strong enough to take the weight of the door. It had so much play I had to get a bigger pin and drill/Dremel/file/grease it to get it tight. I don't know what was worse, getting it out or putting the new one in.

Thunderbirds, Camaros tons of cars from this era have huge rear end doors with weak hinges. Is it that hard to make a beefier hinge? The aftermarket kit is like $6

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Freedom hinges.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Root Bear posted:

So that's what happens :crossarms:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Slavvy posted:

Freedom hinges.

In Glorious Nippon they make hinges so good they don't even need bushings. Well, they don't need bushings for the first 15 years. Then you're stuck with door hinges that sound like death and no easy way to fix them.

The Twinkie Czar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's the bushingdo code