Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Libertine posted:

SK is best in the West in my humble opinion. That team qualified for worlds with loving Jesiz on their roster and has since upgraded both their carry positions with world class talent and it shows. Now that fredy can't get banned out and camped every single game they are just regulating people. I would take them right now in a Bo5 against any of the TSM, C9, CLG, FNC, EL set. Every team has tried to beat them in different ways and they've all lost. No matter how you try to pressure them on the map the other lanes will compensate and win. They basically win 2/3 lanes no matter what happens on the map, and usually 3/3.

fredy, Sven, and Forgiven are playing better than any other players at their position in NA/EU right now. Fox is easily in the conversation. nRated is probably their worst player, but he's certainly better than the great majority of support pros. Commentators keep dumping on him for his Lulu picks but it keeps working flawlessly so I don't know what the problem is. I'd probably say Bjergsen and Febiven have played slightly better than Fox this season and Aphromoo, Yellowstar, and Lustboy have played better than nRated this season. Collectively though I don't think any team has come close to how excellent SK have played week in and out.

Yeah SK is the best team in the west right now. EU is still a stinky sock pit and the level of play is complete dog poo poo outside of sk and fnatic, by which I don't mean their ability to win lanes or whatever. No team outside of those two appears to have any idea what to do or why they would want to do it at any point in the game. Even the fairly bad NA teams like gravity or team 8 have clear ideas of what they want to draft towards and how they want to play the game, even if they aren't great at it a lot of the time. So I'd still say that NA, as a region, is playing better than EU.

SK is still crisper than the best NA teams and is way more fluid in terms of what they can do and how they win though, which you can see regardless of quality of competition. Fnatic I'm less sure about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
The thing about Fnatic is that right now they have 1 playstyle. That's it.
But they seem cognizant of it? They barely had any practice time before the split apparently, they've barely had time on the same team as each other. But they're still winning with that one style, and they hinted that they're trying out other stuff in scrims that we haven't seen yet. So there's a lot of stuff pointing towards them having not hit their peak yet, which is good.

Also: Reignover for player of the split so far? He shotcalls and translates for Huni, and seems to do both remarkably well.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

curiousCat posted:

The thing about Fnatic is that right now they have 1 playstyle. That's it.
But they seem cognizant of it? They barely had any practice time before the split apparently, they've barely had time on the same team as each other. But they're still winning with that one style, and they hinted that they're trying out other stuff in scrims that we haven't seen yet. So there's a lot of stuff pointing towards them having not hit their peak yet, which is good.

Also: Reignover for player of the split so far? He shotcalls and translates for Huni, and seems to do both remarkably well.
Yellowstar, Reignover, Febiven, Forgiven, Svenskeren, and Freddie could all make a case for MVP of EU. All players on both teams are really the top of the West.

Reignover's playstyle is so unique among junglers though, he completely dictates the early game by himself and if he's playing a jungler that falls off before late game, he will just throw himself directly at the enemy so his team can clean up and push advantages. FNatic is a really bloodthirsty team, but all their big teamfights look so calculated, even if they go 5 for 3.

SK on the other hands, as nRated explained it, they only focus on their next objective, so they don't waste time putting a lot of wards up in sections of the map they're not going to be at. They're very decisive in where they're going and what they're doing, and they don't give up hardly any kills to get there. They're out-playing all teams on a very macro level that makes it look like Samsung White during Worlds, without even having the mechanical players to match.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 13, 2015

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
"He dies for the scuttle crab!!!" is my favorite casting sentence of the season so far.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I was re watching the SK/CW game at work and I think the biggest disappointment so far in EU is that Forgiven apparently doesn't play Kalista. :saddowns:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Lightning Knight posted:

So I was re watching the SK/CW game at work and I think the biggest disappointment so far in EU is that Forgiven apparently doesn't play Kalista. :saddowns:

It's more like he doesn't need to. What's the point in stealing candy from a little baby?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

See that game wasn't far from LCS plays.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
A team could try banning both Graves and Lucian or banning Lucian and first picking graves. Of course that leaves you with one ban for Fredy, Sven and Fox :v:

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Savage Cracker posted:

A team could try banning both Graves and Lucian or banning Lucian and first picking graves. Of course that leaves you with ban for Fredy, Sven and Fox :v:

Watch Forgiven bring out the pocket Ezreal in retaliation and style like Faker decided to go botlane. Guarantee you it's exactly what happens.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Transient People posted:

It's more like he doesn't need to. What's the point in stealing candy from a little baby?

Cause as a fan I would rather see him play other things. Lucian is a cool champ but the pros have been driving him, and now Graves, into the ground for a year and I want to see other things finally.

Like seriously I'd be so hype for an SK Jinx or Twitch pick.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Libertine posted:

nRated is probably their worst player, but he's certainly better than the great majority of support pros.

I agree with most of your post word to word, but I'm not so sure you're giving enough credit to nRated. He's not a flashy mechanical god type of player that much is sure, but as I understand it he's one of the smartest analytical minds in Western LoL. Sometimes to a fault as seen in interviews where he might reveal a bit too much of his team's advanced thought processes.

That said it's obviously a bit abstract to rate a player for something that's so intangible, but I'm not ready to call him SK's weak point any more than LemonNation on C9's side. They're a very smart team and I would guess much of what they're doing so well is his doing.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ok this game is flat out worse than LCS.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Transient People posted:

Watch Forgiven bring out the pocket Ezreal in retaliation and style like Faker decided to go botlane. Guarantee you it's exactly what happens.

Yeah I agree that's the most likely outcome. I am curious why he defaults to Lucian when Graves isn't available though.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Savage Cracker posted:

Yeah I agree that's the most likely outcome. I am curious why he defaults to Lucian when Graves isn't available though.

Mobility. Forgiven loves being able to control his positioning and Lucian is still arguably the most smoothly mobile teamfight carry, even moreso than Kalista. That he's similar to Graves helps too. Honestly it makes me really drat happy, because he's the reason I picked Lucian back up. I thought he'd been totally backbroken, but if Forgiven can make it work I need to put in the hours to get good with new Lucy too.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
He doesn't think it's that good, but he knows he can get away with it, and it suits his playstyle. I don't think he likes Corki very much either so there's that.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Sad to see Jin Air play so sloppily vs KT

NiceGameTV is going to be doing a Nemesis Mode between CJ and Najin on the 15th and put out this absolutely magical trailer for it

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Disinterested posted:

He doesn't think it's that good, but he knows he can get away with it, and it suits his playstyle. I don't think he likes Corki very much either so there's that.

forgiven posted:

dont play corki

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

... National Urgot Council got me.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
There's some games and stuff today.

H2K vs Roccat
SK Gaming vs Giants
Gambit vs Elements
Copenhagen Wolves vs FNatic
MYM vs Unicorns of Love

If FNatic can't close a game before 45 minutes they have a chance of losing to Wolves. I don't know how they manage to get so many wins by being such a lovely team but their only strength seems to be mentally wearing out teams and then getting a lucky win at 58 minutes.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Poor Gambit and MYM, gonna get cruuuushed.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

Poor Gambit and MYM, gonna get cruuuushed.

Based on Elements performance yesterday I don't think it's completely safe to say that Gambit are gonna get crushed. Giants, Wolves and Moms are gonna get murdered though.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
H2K vs Roccat
SK vs Giants
Gambit vs Elements (this game will never finish, making Gambit the winner judging by the previous 2 weeks)
CW vs FNatic
MYM vs UOL

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
H2K vs Roccat - H2K is honestly kind of not bad, but now is the goddamn time for Roccat to evolve from terrible to passable. C'mon!
SK vs Giants
Gambit vs Elements
CW vs FNatic
MYM vs UOL

Maybe I'll try watching this game and the Fnatic one.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I think it's weird that people keep thinking Roccat is going to evolve into something more resembling a dominant League team (even the commentators are on this note constantly), but then again I was a diehard Gambit fan for a lot longer than that was rational too. I think the Roccat you've seen so far is the Roccat we're getting.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

What happened to H2K? Why do they look so much better all of a sudden

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i think ryu is playing a little bit better.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Flameingblack posted:

What happened to H2K? Why do they look so much better all of a sudden

I think the fact that they got rid of Voidle who died all the time and got KaSing who has not yet died has been a big plus for them.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Their play just seems solid right now. And against the shitshow that most of EU teams seem to be running that works out very well. They don't make many mistakes and know how to finish.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Libertine posted:

I think it's weird that people keep thinking Roccat is going to evolve into something more resembling a dominant League team (even the commentators are on this note constantly), but then again I was a diehard Gambit fan for a lot longer than that was rational too. I think the Roccat you've seen so far is the Roccat we're getting.

There's a good chance you're right, but the classic "B-but they are so great at scrims!!" routine, as well as just liking the org, is still keeping me going despite their consistently poo poo games.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hahah that loving Gnar gank.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Odo:aaa:mne

I liked what they said on LPL the other night: RG first item is the sign of a losing Maokai.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
That Gnar gave all his fucks to charity and went to the game with empty pockets, too bad for Roccat

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Wow what's this an EULCS game that might actually be ended quickly

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Ryu is my sad grumpy spirit animal.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Libertine posted:

Odo:aaa:mne

I liked what they said on LPL the other night: RG first item is the sign of a losing Maokai.

Yeah a Maokai without Rod can be completely ignored.

Also good to see Prolly's Boys do well.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

The announcers didn't see Ryu's last missed shockwave at the mid inner apparently. He hasn't hit one in like 5 minutes but ehhh whatever.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Libertine posted:

The announcers didn't see Ryu's last missed shockwave at the mid inner apparently. He hasn't hit one in like 5 minutes but ehhh whatever.

Zoning ults.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Looks like the fratboys are here to stay.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
The only game I'm going to call today is this:

Gambit - Elements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sexpansion posted:

The only game I'm going to call today is this:

Gambit - Elements

If Elements can't beat Gambit I can't wait to see Rekkles' social media.

• Locked thread